2014 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX

Season 2015 - Reports, photos, quotes, stats, interviews, gossips, and hot discussion.
edwardthetwinky
car driver
car driver

Re: 2014 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by edwardthetwinky » 17 Mar 2014, 22:07

ahhhh thank you for clarifying

KevC

Post by KevC » 17 Mar 2014, 22:24

You might find this useful
How DRS works

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 18 Mar 2014, 04:58

Great job for Mercedes, seems like the domination continues, but with a different team. Don't exactly know if this will happen, as it's still too early to judge.
As expected, I think williams performance is very well near with Mclaren's, with a better race condition I think Massa and Bottas have a very good chance in the podiums.

Feel very sorry for Hamilton, Mercedes really need to make that car bulletproof. Rosberg and Hamilton has quite similar pace and speed, so I think this might be concluded by battle of luck. Anyone of them being the world champion will be great for me.

I think it's still too early to judge that this season will be boring bla bla bla because of the V6 engine, technology, fuel system, etc. I personally enjoyed the race.. No overtaking? I thought Bottas did quite a lot of overtaking back then, maybe about over 10 cars?? So overtaking is possible, but simply it's more or less by power unit factors, like setting the engine to overtaking mode, so it gives more fuel to the engine...

I think it's a great achievement in the motorsports, and I believe that this kind of 'power units' may somehow be the next future. This power units is the spirit of go green and efficiency. It's great to know that each cars this year use a third less fuel than last year engine.
Personally I thought that this race might be a chaos, will be a lot of engine problem, but actually that was not the case, only few cars/teams had it, so it's a good news.

In a hindsight, somehow in this race, Renault make some improvements, and it looks like they have overtaken Ferrari on average. Both Sauber and Marussia, Ferrari powered cars are both at the end of the grid. It's a bad performance by Ferrari. And I must congrats Renault for their improvement, so the race could be on. Mercedes, Ferrari, and Renault powered cars could be fighting together in the midfield.

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 18 Mar 2014, 09:43

Ether wrote: I think it's still too early to judge that this season will be boring bla bla bla because of the V6 engine, technology, fuel system, etc. I personally enjoyed the race.. No overtaking? I thought Bottas did quite a lot of overtaking back then, maybe about over 10 cars?? So overtaking is possible, but simply it's more or less by power unit factors, like setting the engine to overtaking mode, so it gives more fuel to the engine...
I'm with on this one, race was really exciting, much better than the last nine if you ask me, and Bottas showed that it's possible to do heroics.
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 18 Mar 2014, 11:51

majidasadi wrote:
Ether wrote: I think it's still too early to judge that this season will be boring bla bla bla because of the V6 engine, technology, fuel system, etc. I personally enjoyed the race.. No overtaking? I thought Bottas did quite a lot of overtaking back then, maybe about over 10 cars?? So overtaking is possible, but simply it's more or less by power unit factors, like setting the engine to overtaking mode, so it gives more fuel to the engine...
I'm with on this one, race was really exciting, much better than the last nine if you ask me, and Bottas showed that it's possible to do heroics.
Bottas showed what Vettel showed when he had a car with +1.5-2 seconds advantage. He was literally driving around other cars before bodging it up. We complained DRS made overtaking too easy yet we had 4 cars in a row with DRS open and they stayed in their positions. No advantage at all yet there was suppose to be engine disparity ontop of that. its a real sad state of affair when DRS and KERS no longer does anything.

The race was a fail in tons and tons of ways. Engines; sound was non existent, atmosphere was lacking because of it, the audio spectacle has gone. Theres no dramatic sound. The 2.2 Turbo's in Indycar sound 100% better. The cars just drove around a track. You would be forgiven for thinking it was Monaco it was that processional. Excitement came down entirely as to whether Rosberg or Ricciardo's car will stop working.

The rules have seriously damaged Formula 1. No way in hell can anyone say F1 is the pinnacle of racing. In my opinion we need fuel stops back. We have done for a long time. I didnt like getting rid of them.

All you need to do is look at Le Mans. Diesel hybrid engines; road relevant technology. 18inch wheels; road relevant. Tyres developed by Michelin pushing the boundary of tyre technology. long lasting engines, long lasting tyres, fuel economy is paramount but the cars are driven to the ragged edge over 24 bloody hours with fuel stops. Aerodynamics are very important.

Le Mans uses KERS in battery format AND Flywheel format, depending on which teams use what. Thats more road relevant than the KERS we have in F1. Brake by wire is ridiculous aswell. Why have electronic rear braking and mechanical front braking? It beggars belief!

The technology used in Le Mans is road relevant, whilst giving pure pace and racing. The fact you race for 24 hours and you can win a race by half a minute, when F1 was racing for and hour and a half and Redbull cruised for 50 out of 57 laps yet still finished 40 seconds ahead, is ridiculous. Formula E looks to me, 100% more relevant. Electric engines, tyres which are used in BOTH wet AND dry based around the Pilot sport Cup Michelin tyres; road tyres. F1 is just continuing down its failure path.

The only saving grace for F1 is seeing cars sliding. But then thats not through power, thats through horrible tyres with lack of grip; Pirelli are another flaw in F1. A budget tyre brand renouned for average road tyres. If it isnt Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone or Yokohama, then it aint the pinnacle of tyre manufacturing.

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 18 Mar 2014, 13:51

Your post is great, except 1 thing. Your disliking of Vettel is obvious and kinda boring. Stick to your other ideas, which are great, and I support you there 101%.
Yes, engines are c**p. It's easy to make them louder, just like the way you stated.
Rules are bull... this season.
Remember what drivers said about these engines? And even team bosses. Why to waste so much money on something like that, when you can make it easier with V8+ engines?

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 18 Mar 2014, 14:07

Well if the teams want to make their own engines, they can do what they want.

V8s were dinosaurs.

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 18 Mar 2014, 14:31

Oh yeah, I personally think giving K-mag 10/10 is a little bit overrated. Yes he's good, fast, and consistent (so far). You can argue that K-mag perform beyond expectations, I believe many young drivers like now, mostly has speed (probably except chilton and.. Nakajima?) other than that, young drivers nowadays who successfully getting into F1, mostly are great drivers.

Beating Jenson is an achievment, yes, but remember that Perez did that quite often last year. But this is K-mag 1st GP in F1! Yes, but I personally think if you put other great young driver alongside Button, many might be able to do the same, like Bianchi for example, and Bottas, I believe he can too. Ricciardo, Vergne, Kvyaat, still never got a good comparison with senior drivers yet. Ricciardo will show it soon probably in Sepang if both RbR could race. For Pic and VDG, it's a very difficult to judge how good they are, because they didn't race with senior drivers. But I think most young drivers now has a very good quality in speed. Probably a little bit weak with mental, but it builds up years by years in experiences.

K-Mag is a great driver, this race probably 9/10 is the maximum score for him. This just my opinion. It's still too early to say that K-mag is the next star or the next Hamilton.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 18 Mar 2014, 18:30

Vlad-SRB wrote:Your post is great, except 1 thing. Your disliking of Vettel is obvious and kinda boring. Stick to your other ideas, which are great, and I support you there 101%.
Yes, engines are c**p. It's easy to make them louder, just like the way you stated.
Remember what drivers said about these engines? And even team bosses. Why to waste so much money on something like that, when you can make it easier with V8+ engines?
How the hell have I bashed Vettel? Because I said Bottas' performance is as impressive as Vettels last year? Please tell me how brilliant it is for any driver to drive a 2 second a lap faster car around people. It doesnt matter if it was Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen, Sutil, Grosjean or Maldanado. Any driver in F1 with Vettels car would've done exactly the same as he did in 2011 and 2013. Its clear for anybody to see. Alonso wouldnt have done better last year than Vettel did. He wouldnt have done better in 2011 than Vettel did.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 18 Mar 2014, 18:30

It seems that a lot of people are coming down hard on the new regulations because a certain team/driver is struggling to adapt to the new rules...

'Why don't we go back to this or why don't we go back to that'... because that's called 'going backwards', and you don't need to be a racing fan to know that going backwards is never good.

F1 might be losing a battle this year, but at least it stands a chance of winning the war in keeping up with relevant road technology. Sure, the changes might have come too early, and sure, they could have phased them out over two or three seasons, but saying that F1 should have stuck to this or that is what I totally disagree with.

In the late 2000s everyone wanted to go back to the V10s. Now, everyone wants to go back to V8s. Can you guess which engine everyone will want back 5/6 years from now? Yeah, thought so...

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 18 Mar 2014, 18:39

mikhailv wrote:
Vlad-SRB wrote:Your post is great, except 1 thing. Your disliking of Vettel is obvious and kinda boring. Stick to your other ideas, which are great, and I support you there 101%.
How the hell have I bashed Vettel? Because I said Bottas' performance is as impressive as Vettels last year? Please tell me how brilliant it is for any driver to drive a 2 second a lap faster car around people. It doesnt matter if it was Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen, Sutil, Grosjean or Maldanado. Any driver in F1 with Vettels car would've done exactly the same as he did in 2011 and 2013. Its clear for anybody to see. Alonso wouldnt have done better last year than Vettel did. He wouldnt have done better in 2011 than Vettel did.

You know very well what I'm talking about, but ok. You don't have to be rude with your answers.

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 18 Mar 2014, 19:01

Mikhailv, there's no need to attack anyone on this forum. Yo need to relax a bit.

We don't have enough time to keep editing your posts.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

2014 FORMULA 1 ROLEX AUSTRALIAN GRAND PRIX

Post by F1EA » 19 Mar 2014, 01:04

tderias wrote:It seems that a lot of people are coming down hard on the new regulations because a certain team/driver is struggling to adapt to the new rules...

'Why don't we go back to this or why don't we go back to that'... because that's called 'going backwards', and you don't need to be a racing fan to know that going backwards is never good.

F1 might be losing a battle this year, but at least it stands a chance of winning the war in keeping up with relevant road technology. Sure, the changes might have come too early, and sure, they could have phased them out over two or three seasons, but saying that F1 should have stuck to this or that is what I totally disagree with.

In the late 2000s everyone wanted to go back to the V10s. Now, everyone wants to go back to V8s. Can you guess which engine everyone will want back 5/6 years from now? Yeah, thought so...
I dont think there's a certain team/driver struggling. Apart from Mercedes having a superior engine, everyone else is somewhat equal, and i think it is hardly a surprise.

Frankly, the Australia race was a BOREFEST. And no matter how much the rules get tweaked, #1 is always a good race. If this was Melbourne... I am for sure not watching Barcelona, Bahrein or Abu Dhabi.

People do worry a lot about the noise. I dont really care about it, i care more for the actual racing... and there was none; seriously, none. Except an interesting Q session.

The statement of the race was that nobody will be able to overtake Mercedes engines. They have more power than the DRS provides, and that was yet another useless gimmick-patch....

The statement is so strong, maybe Red bull knew they would not have scored a single pt against the mercedes engines without the fuel thing.... so they went for it anyways. Judging by the fia statement, RB was clearly aware what was going on.

Really, i'm not looking fwd to race #2.

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 19 Mar 2014, 03:47

Is there any sign of engine improvement along the season? If not, I think Mercedes cars will get most advantages at front, Ferrari and Renault might fight for midfield or backmarkers.
But if the power units may get improved along the way, there still chance for Ferrari and Renault to catch up. Judging by the first winter test up until the first race in Melbourne, Renault probably is having the most improvements

BanaP
kart driver
kart driver

Post by BanaP » 19 Mar 2014, 21:52

Kevin Clark wrote:
Very disappointing... Sounds like some crappy pc-game...