Sauber to leave F1?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Sauber to leave F1?

Post by donald29 » 15 Jul 2013, 12:26

The difference is Sauber gave Kimi a test and saw how good he was. Schumacher even went up to Peter Sauber having followed him on track and said 'sign this kid'. They're taking this guy because they don't have a choice basically... It's a sad reflection of the current situation that Frijns is unlikely to land a seat whilst this rich Russian kid is fast tracked into one.

Although, as Adam Cooper says, credit to Sauber for announcing this and admitting the Russian money is tied to Sirotkin rather than trying to claim later he's been hired on talent...

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 15 Jul 2013, 13:40

back in the day teams could afford to take risks on a young 19 year old spaniard, 20 year old finnish guy, an upcoming 22 year old german back in the early 90's and a fresh faced teeny bopping german aged 19 a few years ago.

In a way when you look back, theres probably a similar amount of paydrivers on the grid than before. The difference is extensive testing, acclimatisation and general higher level of skill before as opposed to there is now from most of the rookies.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 15 Jul 2013, 18:40

Question is... does the russian driver leave Hulkenberg or Gutierrez on the search?
Guierrez has some $backing right?

So i think it's time for Hulk to move up. Hopefully Lotus or Ferrari.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 15 Jul 2013, 20:54

Kimi > rbr, sirkwhatever>sauber, hulk> lotus, Bianchi > ferrari, marussia folding.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 15 Jul 2013, 21:33

I doubt Ferrari will take someone in their second season, plus Monty is keen on keeping Massa apparently.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 16 Jul 2013, 09:46

If Ferrari are keen on keeping massa then all I can say is they dont deserve to win a single thing.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 16 Jul 2013, 16:08

mikhailv wrote:If Ferrari are keen on keeping massa then all I can say is they dont deserve to win a single thing.
:thumbsup: . Just watched the Lauda - Hunt documentary that was on the BBC. While Niki was lying half dead in hospital, Enzo Ferrari told the team principle to head back to the track and focus on the coming races; 'Ferrari doesn't stop at Lauda', even when the Austrian was their world champion. Such cold-blooded desire to win is sadly a rare breed these days...

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 16 Jul 2013, 17:37

tderias wrote:
mikhailv wrote:If Ferrari are keen on keeping massa then all I can say is they dont deserve to win a single thing.
:thumbsup: . Just watched the Lauda - Hunt documentary that was on the BBC. While Niki was lying half dead in hospital, Enzo Ferrari told the team principle to head back to the track and focus on the coming races; 'Ferrari doesn't stop at Lauda', even when the Austrian was their world champion. Such cold-blooded desire to win is sadly a rare breed these days...
I dont see it as cold blooded to be honest. Contrary to the popular casual fans belief, the drivers are nothing. They can be dropped, sacked, careers destroyed in seconds by teams. Any team can find a driver to replace another, but can a driver find another team? No driver is bigger than the team, Ferrari was before and after lauda, even in the accident. The world of F1 doesnt stop for nobody.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 16 Jul 2013, 20:02

@f1talks: Gysling: "Sauber's deal sounds like a fraud" - http://t.co/Xb7qocQezK #F1

@f1talks: Gysling: "Institute of Aviation is not national research institution, but a private limited company..." #F1

@f1talks: Gysling: "The so-called Institute of Aviation for example, was only involved in the development of fire-safe seats for trolley buses." #F1

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 20 Jul 2013, 11:01

I've had time to think about the Sirotkin deal...
http://www.f1zone.net/news/opinion-dont ... kin/19753/

Coopz
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Coopz » 20 Jul 2013, 13:13

This isn't the Sauber we know. Sauber are credited within the paddock due to bringing up some great drivers such as Massa, Raikkonen and Kubica to name a few and having some standout moments. I just feel like with the investment which may possibly lead to potential line up of Gutierrez and Sirotkin, added together with the fact Monisha Kaltenborn is now team principle instead of Peter Sauber of whom I had a soft spot for, I feel like I've lost any affection with Sauber that I've had over the years, which is sad. Just my opinion though.