Mercedes/Pirelli International Tribunal - Decision Friday

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Mercedes face protest over tyre testing

Post by Ferrariman60 » 06 Jun 2013, 17:10

I'm just interested to see just how absolutely off the wall the findings of this tribunal will be.
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 06 Jun 2013, 17:16

How the International Tribunal works

Following yesterday’s announcement that a case will be brought before the FIA’s International Tribunal (IT) into the tyre test carried out by Pirelli and Team Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 last month, we take a closer look at the IT and its functions.

What is the IT?
Adopted by the 2010 FIA General Assembly, the IT exercises the FIA’s disciplinary powers at first instance, for all cases whether they have been dealt or not with by the Stewards of the Meeting.

Who sits on the IT?
The IT is made up of 12 members, who are recommended by the FIA Judicial Appointment Committee and then elected by the FIA General Assembly.

How is the judging panel structured?
For each individual case, the President of the IT appoints a judging panel, made up of a minimum of three members, from among the members of the IT. One of them is appointed as President of the Hearing. No member of the judging panel may be of the same nationality as one of the main parties of the case.

For what reasons may the IT be held?
The President of the FIA, acting as the FIA prosecuting body, may conduct an inquiry into any actions or conduct of a person under the jurisdiction of the FIA and suspected of having committed one of the offences set out in the Judicial and Disciplinary Rules of the FIA (Article 8.2). Following the inquiry, the President of the FIA may draw up an inquiry report and decide to close the case or to bring the matter before the IT to make a decision in compliance with the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules.

What is the schedule for proceedings?
When the prosecuting body has decided to bring the matter before the IT, a notification of charges is sent to the parties being prosecuted. The President of the Hearing shall set a timetable for the hearing. In case of justified urgency, in particular for matters relating to sports competitions, the parties may call for an expedited procedure. The President of the Hearing may decide to reduce the timetable.

Which are the different infringements?
Persons having contravened the FIA Statutes and regulations, including International Sporting Code (please refer to Article 8.2 for complete list of infringements).

Which sanctions can be imposed by the IT?
The IT may impose fines, bans and/or the sanctions provided for in the FIA International Sporting Code (Article 153).

When is the decision announced?
After the close of the hearing, the President of the Hearing will announce the likely time and date when the decision will be announced. The notification of the decision shall specify that the Parties may bring an appeal against that decision before the FIA International Court of Appeal (ICA).

Who can appeal before the ICA?
The President of the FIA and the parties being prosecuted.

http://www.fia.com/news/how-internation ... unal-works

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 06 Jun 2013, 17:20

Just an interesting side note for everyone to think of. The F150 had push rod suspensions. The 2012 and 138 have pull rods. The Merc is a current car which coincidentally had a brand new suspension after the race which seriously aided their tyre woes.

jus sayin.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 06 Jun 2013, 17:22

I still think this will be political/personal. It'd be a brave man to throw the book at Mercedes & Pirelli.

Remember how Spygate was primarily personal...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 06 Jun 2013, 17:38

I feel sorry for Lewis :lol:

First year at Mclaren: Spygate
First year at Mercedes: Tyresgate

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 06 Jun 2013, 17:48

mikhailv wrote:
TwistedArmco wrote:
mikhailv wrote:And I know its easy to do a cheap shop, but it doesn't matter. It just lowers the IQ of the forum and yourself a wee bit whilst detracting from your main post :n
Because you generally take the high-brow approach with your posting? :lol:

I like "lowers the IQ of the forum and yourself" though. I do feel strangely thicker since I made a jab at your spelling (just a wee bit mind), maybe there's something in what you say.

High brow, low brow. Irrelevant. I mostly go on facts and beliefs which i elaborate on in detail :p

And told you bout Ferrari. I knew it due to the facts :)
Well, you gauged the situation well, I'll give you that.

It will be interesting to see how the s***'s gonna hit the fan. I see a lot of people talking about potential shady power struggles getting Mercedes off the hook, but I really don't see how that can be allowed to happen...
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 06 Jun 2013, 17:49

TwistedArmco wrote:It will be interesting to see how the s***'s gonna hit the fan. I see a lot of people talking about potential shady power struggles getting Mercedes off the hook, but I really don't see how that can be allowed to happen...
Stranger things happen in politics every day. That doesn't mean I want IT to just let it go with a spank on the hand or a fine. But I wouldn't be surprised.
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 06 Jun 2013, 17:51

Mercedes will supply 3 teams, plus themselves in 2014.

They help F1's plans for floatation on the Singapore stock exchange. They boost F1's image (and help with Bernie's money).

I can easily see how Mercedes will escape sanction.

The sport has long thrived off of shady power struggles!

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 06 Jun 2013, 17:53

TwistedArmco wrote:
mikhailv wrote:
TwistedArmco wrote:
mikhailv wrote:And I know its easy to do a cheap shop, but it doesn't matter. It just lowers the IQ of the forum and yourself a wee bit whilst detracting from your main post :n
Because you generally take the high-brow approach with your posting? :lol:

I like "lowers the IQ of the forum and yourself" though. I do feel strangely thicker since I made a jab at your spelling (just a wee bit mind), maybe there's something in what you say.

High brow, low brow. Irrelevant. I mostly go on facts and beliefs which i elaborate on in detail :p

And told you bout Ferrari. I knew it due to the facts :)
Well, you gauged the situation well, I'll give you that.

It will be interesting to see how the s***'s gonna hit the fan. I see a lot of people talking about potential shady power struggles getting Mercedes off the hook, but I really don't see how that can be allowed to happen...
Cheers. To be honest, reading those car threads on autosport is THE only good bit about that site. Its where you get all the tidbits, the non-mainstream media. Its those things which report such little tests within the rules, that allows to see more than someone relying on autosport or Skys derpy articles which dont see ALL the angles.

Im hoping for the loss of Constructors points. Keep drivers. Alternatively, BAR got a 3 race ban and their Imola podium stripped for their Fuel cell in 2005. This is much, much more serious case of cheating. So like you said, how will it hit the fan?

FIA MUST punish this severely. if they let merc off, they piss onto all the other teams. Whats to stop RBR and Ferrari saying 'right, you can do 1000km test and get a slap on the wrist. Lets do it and bolt everything we want on. If the FIA take us to court, we will only get a similar slapped wrist and if Not, we will refuse the fine and leave F1'.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 06 Jun 2013, 18:22

So apparently Vettel was the first driver to know about the secret test after having a chat with Rosberg at the Grand Prix drivers' association.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... an-Vettel-

It seems the German is useful outside the cockpit too :lol:

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 06 Jun 2013, 18:26

"it was World Champion-turned detective Sebastian Vettel..." :lol:

Rosberg is contradicting Brawn. Again.
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 06 Jun 2013, 18:35

More interestingly, what would that mean for Nico seeing as he looks like the one who spilled the beans on the whole thing? Or did he think he could trust Vettel with that sort of secret?

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 06 Jun 2013, 18:39

tderias wrote:More interestingly, what would that mean for Nico seeing as he looks like the one who spilled the beans on the whole thing? Or did he think he could trust Vettel with that sort of secret?
He can't be that naive. Especially when he is dubbed the smartest tool in the shed.
You can't tell something like this to a rival team's driver (mainly when that other team is struggling with tires as well) and expect him to keep it a secret.
I think it just slipped. As it happens with secrets.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 06 Jun 2013, 18:41

"Hello Vettel, I am on Pole again, after we did a private test in Barcelona".

:zz:

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 06 Jun 2013, 19:02

Treacle wrote: Rosberg is contradicting Brawn. Again.
Yeah. Their story isn't really adding up.

Have to laugh at Joe Saward's blog posts as this escalates, after he initially played this down as nothing major for a couple of days. :p