Mercedes/Pirelli International Tribunal - Decision Friday

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Re: Mercedes face protest over tyre testing

Post by tderias » 28 May 2013, 23:02

So the FIA had already sent a letter to all the teams in April, warning them that in such an event where Pirelli asks for testing, it must be done following the approval of the whole grid:
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... eason-test

Now its truly on fire.

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 29 May 2013, 09:48

Interesting. Pirelli - supposedly - confirmed that they won't bring new tyres to Canada.
So is this a confession that Mercedes used these tyres during the test and they have a huge advantage?

Also, it seems that pictures have emerged from Melbourne (!) and those prove that Mercedes used the swapping even there...
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 29 May 2013, 14:43

However, Pirelli remain hopeful that their new tyres will be used in the British GP at the end of next month.

"We'll be bringing two sets per team for Friday practice with a view to implementing the new rear tyres in Silverstone," a spokesperson has told Autosport.

"As the regulations allow for this and for reasons of sporting equity, we think that this is the best way forward."
How does that comply with the regulations when the FIA clearly stated that only safety changes are allowed. Oh and sporting equity? What sporting equity? You change the tyres because a selective group of teams complain about them, and then you go ahead and talk about sporting equity? :blink:

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 29 May 2013, 14:52

I wonder though... They will have three free practices. They usually use up all their finding the best possible setups for the race.
So how are they going to test the new tyres? Are they getting more time to test? Or do they have to compromise their time?

I think the only change they made is switching back to Kevlar. Isn't it? But that will - presumably - take away Lotus' advantage.
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 29 May 2013, 18:01

NO new tyres for the race in Canada. Just an FP session on them.

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 30 May 2013, 08:41

I think Ferrari International Assistance will do the right thing and prevent Pirelli from making major changes to the tyres.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 May 2013, 10:13

I believe they are not introducing them at all now. Which is correct. Its against the rules to bring in a new tyre mid season. I think it the FIA have been inclined to help RBR out more than Ferrari these days :P

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 30 May 2013, 11:43

http://adamcooperf1.com/2013/05/30/ferr ... elli-test/

We aren't told who was driving the Ferrari though, would be interested to know. As far as I know there isn't an official Pirelli tester at the moment? Was it Pedro doing the driving?

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 May 2013, 12:09

Pedro did two tests. One at Iadia which was straightline test in the F10, and another in the F150 italia. I read it in the F138 thread months ago. Heres the pictures from there;

Thats Barcelona.

http://www.f1passion.it/2013/04/f1-test ... arcellona/

heres another story. That was late april, early may. All publicly available.

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 31 May 2013, 14:14

During their news conference Pirelli stated they DIDN'T ask for a current car from Mercedes to test the 2014 tyres.
I call bull. They are digging their grave (which might just be their goal at this point)...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 31 May 2013, 14:40

Treacle wrote:During their news conference Pirelli stated they DIDN'T ask for a current car from Mercedes to test the 2014 tyres.
I call bull. They are digging their grave (which just might be their goal at this point)...
And the funniest thing, they said they won't accept a 2013 car to develop next year's tyres. They want a 2014 car :lol:

Formula One is becoming a thriller TV show. We need detective Conan to find the truth now :lol:

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 31 May 2013, 14:45

Oh hai Pirel-li-a;

Ether
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ether » 31 May 2013, 15:06

This 'T' word is simply a never ending topics of each races. Even in Monaco with no teams having issue on tyres, they are makin headlines! Great job by Pirelli :-) as to every reporters always have to put their focus on this 'T' word :-D

This will go wild and never ending story... This 'T' word will continue in Canada with more and more focus! And the race beyond will also be filled by this T word I guess..

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 31 May 2013, 16:42

Only thing that ever overshadowed tyres was the criticism of Schumachers dominance. Then the only big thing about tyres was Michelin beating Bridgestone then being outpriced to remove them.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 31 May 2013, 21:10

So Ferrari being investigated as well. Would be funny if they protested then got punished. :lol: