I’m not sure that I really like the way F1 is progressing!

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: I’m not sure that I really like the way F1 is progressin

Post by mikhailv » 24 May 2013, 22:38

kals wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Even when people look back and say how awesome 1988/9 was. Well, yeah, maybe. But I sat through the 89 Japanese GP when they had 60 min highlights on the BBC and my god it was dull.
You watched the wrong race then. Brazil 89 was a stunning race, as was Phoenix, Canada, France, Britain, Belgium, Portugal, Australia... and yet you chose Japan. Why? It was an intense race between Prost and Senna and had that ending, but not much else happened.

Yeah but 6 out of what, 15 races? Take the current calendar; Australia, malaysia, canada, monza, singapore, new jersey, brazil, spa.... erm..... where else always makes good races? Thats 8 out of 19. Doesnt really constitute brilliant seasons. Last year was great until spa when it went back to 2011 follow thy leader.

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 25 May 2013, 04:42

mikhailv wrote:
kals wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Even when people look back and say how awesome 1988/9 was. Well, yeah, maybe. But I sat through the 89 Japanese GP when they had 60 min highlights on the BBC and my god it was dull.
You watched the wrong race then. Brazil 89 was a stunning race, as was Phoenix, Canada, France, Britain, Belgium, Portugal, Australia... and yet you chose Japan. Why? It was an intense race between Prost and Senna and had that ending, but not much else happened.

Yeah but 6 out of what, 15 races? Take the current calendar; Australia, malaysia, canada, monza, singapore, new jersey, brazil, spa.... erm..... where else always makes good races? Thats 8 out of 19. Doesnt really constitute brilliant seasons. Last year was great until spa when it went back to 2011 follow thy leader.
New Jersey? Do you realize there hasn't been a race there yet?

In my opinion Melbourne, Sepang, Shanghai, Barcelona, Monaco, Montreal, Valencia, Silverstone, Nurburgring, Hockenheim, Budapest, Spa, Monza, Singapore, Suzuka, Austin, and Interlagos always produce great racing, although it might be a bit early to judge on Austin.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 25 May 2013, 05:34

It's the formula, not the circuit.

Spa 2002 was dreadful. As have been several races in Budapest.

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 25 May 2013, 06:35

phil1993 wrote:It's the formula, not the circuit.

Spa 2002 was dreadful. As have been several races in Budapest.
Which ones?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 25 May 2013, 06:36

2002, 2004. Not much happened in 2008 either. 2005 come to think of it wasn't great.

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 25 May 2013, 06:45

phil1993 wrote:2002, 2004. Not much happened in 2008 either. 2005 come to think of it wasn't great.
I guess I'll take your word for it as I've only seen the 2011 and 2012 Hungarian races.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 25 May 2013, 06:50

Meant texas lol. I find suzuka boring to watch. Not much actually happens. Great track but its been a borimg procession for years. Shanghai boring, budapest doesnt produce good racing. Hock/nur arent great. Mostly entertaining for penalties.

i cant believe you say barcelona, monaco and valencia. Utterly boring races. Its not 5he tracks its deffo the Formula. But theyre boring races.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 25 May 2013, 06:52

Shanghai boring?

2005, 08 yes. But the other races have been pretty intense.

It is definitely the formula. GP2 has held some amazing races at circuits where Formula 1 has had dull ones. Suzuka's problem is that it's such a high downforce circuit that overtaking is very, very difficult. There's only really 2 places to try it.

Maybe I'm a bit of a purist. You hate Monaco but I love just watching the cars so close to the barrier. Much better than Yeongam.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 25 May 2013, 07:12

I love watching the cars go round, i love seeing them through swimming pool, rascasse, mirabeau, comin out the tunnel, piscine etc. I just find practice and qualifying more entertaining than the actual race. Shanghai just.... i dunno. I dont like the track.

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 25 May 2013, 07:40

mikhailv wrote:Meant texas lol. I find suzuka boring to watch. Not much actually happens. Great track but its been a borimg procession for years. Shanghai boring, budapest doesnt produce good racing. Hock/nur arent great. Mostly entertaining for penalties.

i cant believe you say barcelona, monaco and valencia. Utterly boring races. Its not 5he tracks its deffo the Formula. But theyre boring races.
You find Shanghai boring? I thought you were an overtaking fanatic. Shanghai has been near the top in terms of overtaking in each of the past few years.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 25 May 2013, 08:02

Joey Zyla wrote:
mikhailv wrote:Meant texas lol. I find suzuka boring to watch. Not much actually happens. Great track but its been a borimg procession for years. Shanghai boring, budapest doesnt produce good racing. Hock/nur arent great. Mostly entertaining for penalties.

You find Shanghai boring? I thought you were an overtaking fanatic. Shanghai has been near the top in terms of overtaking in each of the past few years.
Overtaking Fanatic? What? Where'd you get that from, im one of the biggest DRS and KERS detractors you'll ever meet. I demand racing in which is close and you can demonstrate your attack and defence skill. lol!

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 25 May 2013, 10:33

phil1993 wrote:Shanghai boring?

2005, 08 yes. But the other races have been pretty intense.
Hey, the suspense of whether or not they'd fix the drain covers was great in 05!

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 26 May 2013, 21:12

I realize that the Mercedes test controversy has overshadowed this topic a little, but I'd be interested to see what everyone made of Monaco in relation to the tyres and the caution with which some teams approached the race (like Vettel holding off until lap pointless).

It kind of seemed like a phantom issue, in that the potential for it to happen caused more problems for the teams than the actual symptoms of tyre deg.
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 26 May 2013, 21:31

If this tyre thing leads to a backdoor agreement by all the teams to slow down the pace, then I'm sorry but it would be completely farcical and the tyres should be changed immediately.

Today we saw no racing whatsover! Apart from a few overtakes here and there, there was nothing. If it wasn't a crash, it was a safety car period or simply a train of cars following each other while the leader slowed the pace right down. At least in Barcelona some teams opted to go flat-out with a four stop, and we actually got some racing...

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 26 May 2013, 21:34

TwistedArmco wrote:I realize that the Mercedes test controversy has overshadowed this topic a little, but I'd be interested to see what everyone made of Monaco in relation to the tyres and the caution with which some teams approached the race (like Vettel holding off until lap pointless).

It kind of seemed like a phantom issue, in that the potential for it to happen caused more problems for the teams than the actual symptoms of tyre deg.

Teams went slower on purpose. Its unreal not to have any teams lapped bar those involved in incidents till 1st safety car. Merc purposely went slow. RBR purposely went slow. The field was boxed together.