2013 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion

Post by mikhailv » 01 May 2013, 17:59

Dont curse it Phil! Suppose to rain heavy towards the weekend! Side note, BBC 1 just said 'dont move tonight, theres some unmissable television on. Watchdog tonight at 9pm' LOL!

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 01 May 2013, 18:02

Well, it's Silverstone next month...

And on the same weekend it's Glastonbury...

Oops.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 02 May 2013, 11:49

Alonso to win then XD

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 02 May 2013, 11:54

My posts keep disappearing. :(

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 May 2013, 14:48

Story about Silverstone's improvements
http://www.f1zone.net/news/improvements ... ems/18729/

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 02 May 2013, 15:20

mikhailv wrote:Will be weird if Sauber do leave Ferrari engines. Got to be the first time ever there is no customer Ferrari's.
According to Dieter in the latest AUTOSPORT issue, a new contract between Sauber and Ferrari will be signed next month.
phil1993 wrote:Story about Silverstone's improvements
http://www.f1zone.net/news/improvements ... ems/18729/
F1Zone says :lol: I saw that idea somewhere else :p

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 May 2013, 15:39

Yeah :p

Interestingly, Lotus could be forced out into the cold. Red Bull has taken over as Renault's main team and their deal with Caterham and Williams is also very strong thanks to the road car side (with a Williams-Renault Clio expected soon). So if STR do go with Renault - and Red Bull might be persuasive - that leaves them with 4 teams. So it's up to them whether they want a fifth team...

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 02 May 2013, 18:48

Renault dont get shite from lotus regarding marketing. Hell the manufacturer gets free advertising. fake Lotus are in no mans land. Caterham also have Pic; French isn't he??

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 02 May 2013, 18:55

mikhailv wrote:Renault dont get shite from lotus regarding marketing. Hell the manufacturer gets free advertising. fake Lotus are in no mans land. Caterham also have Pic; French isn't he??
Oui. Pic est Francais :P

Caterham have a deal through the Alpine brand: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indus ... sports-car

The thing is, as we all know, Lotus used to be Renault. But Renault hasn't owned that team since 2009. I think they had a 25% share until the end of 2010. Red Bull is pretty much Renault's team, when you consider that Infiniti is heavily funding them. Williams also has a strong connection with Renault, as, already mentioned, does Caterham.

Lotus-Mercedes and Lotus-Ferrari doesn't really sound right, so Lotus only has one option. If STR and Renault go together, that leaves Renault supplying 4 teams, could they stretch to a fifth?

There's also a very good point raised by Dieter Rencken. The whole article is on Autosport, but this section is from the flotation prospectus made in May 2012:

"Our race promotion, broadcasting and advertising and sponsorship contracts typically have terms of five to seven years, three to five years and three to five years, respectively. When these contracts expire, we may not be able to renew or replace them with contracts on similar terms or at all. We have a total of 21 race promotion, 63 broadcast and 24 advertising and sponsorship contracts of which four, 56 and 23, respectively, expire before end 2015"

Oops.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 02 May 2013, 19:24

mikhailv wrote:Renault dont get shite from lotus regarding marketing. Hell the manufacturer gets free advertising. fake Lotus are in no mans land. Caterham also have Pic; French isn't he??

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 03 May 2013, 15:24

I saw that. It was horrendous and had zero meaning towards the Megane. If he was advertising the RS265 round a track, be great. If he was belting the Clio RS200 aswell. Instead they have gone for the whole 'one word answers' and 'I dont know' spin on the 'i know what im doing'.

At least this cringeworthy advert try to show the 225's reputable superior handling on a live road surface :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cIKKZIeuWA

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 03 May 2013, 15:37

phil1993 wrote:
Oui. Pic est Francais :P

Caterham have a deal through the Alpine brand: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indus ... sports-car

The thing is, as we all know, Lotus used to be Renault. But Renault hasn't owned that team since 2009. I think they had a 25% share until the end of 2010. Red Bull is pretty much Renault's team, when you consider that Infiniti is heavily funding them. Williams also has a strong connection with Renault, as, already mentioned, does Caterham.

Lotus-Mercedes and Lotus-Ferrari doesn't really sound right, so Lotus only has one option. If STR and Renault go together, that leaves Renault supplying 4 teams, could they stretch to a fifth?

There's also a very good point raised by Dieter Rencken. The whole article is on Autosport, but this section is from the flotation prospectus made in May 2012:

"Our race promotion, broadcasting and advertising and sponsorship contracts typically have terms of five to seven years, three to five years and three to five years, respectively. When these contracts expire, we may not be able to renew or replace them with contracts on similar terms or at all. We have a total of 21 race promotion, 63 broadcast and 24 advertising and sponsorship contracts of which four, 56 and 23, respectively, expire before end 2015"

Oops.

The problem with 'Lotus' is that they aren't Lotus in the slightest. There's zero manufacturer backing; the collaboration with the malaysian car company is non-existent because that company isn't even in Formula 1; the logo and everything is being used for free advertisement because Lotus just doesn't have any major sponsor. The fact that Lotus was a signature away from being sold until Kimi won Abu Dhabi and then Genii/Lopez got greedy and demanded more money only to be given an instant 'No'. I truly do feel, Lopez/Genii want to pass the team on already.

Infinity is Nissan's luxury brand akin to Toyota's Lexus. Its an extremely smart move by Nissan-Renau collaboration; Vettels fans in asia are being targeted because they recognise the Infinity brand because its Nissan. Renault has a very poor track record in asia, its acquisition of Dacia means it has a strong foot in India, but the 'Infinity Red Bull' moniker will drive sales up.

Especially when you consider the marketing push of Vettel and Infinity vehicles and the recent Kimi advert; Finland is an easier target for Renault than Asia; so kill two birds with one collaborative stone. renault are extremely smart;

Historical relevance with Williams
Target Asian sales with RBR
Revival of Iconic sports range with Alpine, but i also read an article that Caterham are also going to revitalise the Gordini name as well after the probably success with Alpine (http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... lwUkJAkKyw)
They may get some sales with Kimi's presence, but I dont see what Renault gain from a partnership with Genii capital in the slightest. The fanbase for Kimi aren't going to go and buy a Renault because of kimi, whereas and as daft as it sounds; Asian and particularly Japanese brand loyalty towards their own countries manufacturers ontop of their heroic Vettel will lead to an influx of demand for Infinity vehicles.

See, Mercedes dont have any pedigree with any partners except Mclaren; which their roadcars have totally bombed. Aside from looking like Ferrari rip-offs. You dont see any Brawn road vehicles, Sauber road vehicles. Its not like any F1 partnerships have spawn a Williams-esque tune up of a road car; theres no Mclaren editions of Mercedes. Ferrari are just Ferrari, no need to advertise. The prestige is there instantly. But the points there; what are Renault getting out of Lotus? The partnership with the manufacturer would've been extremely beneficial but as it stands, thats zero to do with the F1 team.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 03 May 2013, 15:42

Kimi is a hugely popular - I'd say he is the most popular driver out there, judging by our figures. But is he going to be with Lotus in 2014..?

Of course Genii want to sell. They're an investment group, they're in it for a profit. With Kimi winning in Abu Dhabi, the value of the company was raised...

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 03 May 2013, 16:14

phil1993 wrote:Kimi is a hugely popular - I'd say he is the most popular driver out there, judging by our figures. But is he going to be with Lotus in 2014..?

Of course Genii want to sell. They're an investment group, they're in it for a profit. With Kimi winning in Abu Dhabi, the value of the company was raised...

They raised the value but nobody is forthcoming about buying them after thewin. Thats the problem. Noone wants to buy the team now theyve won. But theres no true title sponsor fund; name change costs them mucho monies.

So what do Genii do? they cut their nose off to spite their face really

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 03 May 2013, 18:32

mikhailv wrote:I saw that. It was horrendous and had zero meaning towards the Megane. If he was advertising the RS265 round a track, be great. If he was belting the Clio RS200 aswell. Instead they have gone for the whole 'one word answers' and 'I dont know' spin on the 'i know what im doing'.

At least this cringeworthy advert try to show the 225's reputable superior handling on a live road surface :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cIKKZIeuWA
Kimi's advert is quite great actually. When you have someone like Kimi you don't need to do much. In fact, the more you stray from Kimi's actual personality, the worse the ad will be. Just put Kimi under the spotlight for most of the advert, then show him driving the car a little bit, and you've got yourself an interesting commercial :thumbsup:

Oh yea and that Alonso ad, wish I could un-watch that LOL