2013 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion

Post by mikhailv » 27 Mar 2013, 18:40

kals wrote:
mikhailv wrote:
kals wrote:Well that escalated quickly. All you needed to say is "you misunderstood my point", instead you went a little overaggressive on me don't you think? My apologies for getting the wrong end of the stick. It wasn't intentional.
But your always overaggressive, so dont play that card :n
You're funny :lol: The PC term is a clash of personality :O

But those who know me, know my querks and how to deal with me. Isn't that right Phil?

Moving on, I get the point that people are making about STR but they are still an entity that deserves to be on the grid. Mid-field to back end teams over many decades have worked as unofficial junior teams to front runners. RBR and STR just made it official.

And referring back to a point I made earlier about Bernie's plan is that he wants to create an "A-team" and "B-team" type structure, where one team would supply kit to another:

RBR to STR
Ferrari to Sauber
McLaren to Force India

Etc... you get the idea. The point being is that this would help create a sustainable cost structure for the current teams by having manufacturers and privateers.

And yes, I know Bernie has had some odd ideas in the past.
:lol: :O

To me, the difference between your comparisons, is technical collaboration which doesn't affect on track racing. RBR/STR don't have that relationship. We have seen Sauber racing Ferrari, Force india racing McLaren. Toro Rosso will NEVER race RBR. Neither Ferrari or McLaren have a financially vested interested in the team, they don't own any of it nor do the fund those teams; they sell discount parts. RedBull still funds STR and gradually, we certainly see iterations of RBR's developments on the STR. These technical collaborations where Renault sell their engines, KERS and Gearboxes, Mercedes/mclaren do the same and Ferrari too. They are paying customers. STR isn't.

That to me, is where the difference of collaboration with no actual say in team management or ownership, no 'fingers in the pie' so to speak, and owning and running a separate entity.

Gotta admit, In Brazil, Vettel had 3 teammates for example. Sauber didn't back off of Ferrari and Force India was bitterly racing McLaren for the lead, taking out Lewis infact.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 27 Mar 2013, 18:45

Treacle wrote:Do you guys think that it would be possible to bring back the in-race fueling? I assume it would make tire degradation less significant if the cars were not that heavy.
I know it was banned because of the risks - no one wants to see another incident like Jos Verstappen's in Hockeinheim, 1994 (even if they were lucky) -, but the fuel nowadays supposed to be less flammable.
I think refuelling wouldn't change anything. Teams would just fuel up according to how long tyres last. So say the soft tyre can be eeked to 15 laps, they would fuel up for 15 laps, flat out, as soon as the tyres go, come in.

If anything, it would actual be a detriment. I mean, if you think, you've got to go steady on the tyres and not push them anyway, so any outright pace advantage on low fuel is gone because of caring for the tyres. At least with a full tank, you know your abilities straight away and just focus on tyres as opposed to the rigmarole of fuel. If anything you would use less fuel when your saving tyres than pushing to the edge and making your tyres go off.

mnmracer
kart driver
kart driver

Post by mnmracer » 28 Mar 2013, 09:43

mikhailv wrote:
Treacle wrote:Do you guys think that it would be possible to bring back the in-race fueling? I assume it would make tire degradation less significant if the cars were not that heavy.
I know it was banned because of the risks - no one wants to see another incident like Jos Verstappen's in Hockeinheim, 1994 (even if they were lucky) -, but the fuel nowadays supposed to be less flammable.
I think refuelling wouldn't change anything. Teams would just fuel up according to how long tyres last. So say the soft tyre can be eeked to 15 laps, they would fuel up for 15 laps, flat out, as soon as the tyres go, come in.

If anything, it would actual be a detriment. I mean, if you think, you've got to go steady on the tyres and not push them anyway, so any outright pace advantage on low fuel is gone because of caring for the tyres. At least with a full tank, you know your abilities straight away and just focus on tyres as opposed to the rigmarole of fuel. If anything you would use less fuel when your saving tyres than pushing to the edge and making your tyres go off.
But if the cars weigh less because of less fuel, the tires would also last longer.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 28 Mar 2013, 10:49

practice and qualifying says different. Look at vettels tyres in malaysia after 2 laps in q3

mnmracer
kart driver
kart driver

Post by mnmracer » 28 Mar 2013, 11:11

mikhailv wrote:practice and qualifying says different. Look at vettels tyres in malaysia after 2 laps in q3
You mean the inters? :confused:
Or the used tires he used in Q2?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Mar 2013, 17:25

Force India secures Mercedes-Benz engines
http://www.f1zone.net/news/force-india- ... eal/18337/

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 28 Mar 2013, 17:32

phil1993 wrote:Force India secures Mercedes-Benz engines
http://www.f1zone.net/news/force-india- ... eal/18337/
Is that why Hulkenberg is out?
;)

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 28 Mar 2013, 18:02

mnmracer wrote:
mikhailv wrote:practice and qualifying says different. Look at vettels tyres in malaysia after 2 laps in q3
You mean the inters? :confused:
Or the used tires he used in Q2?
Im thinking of Australia Q3. His tyres didn't look healthy in Q2 Malaysia either. Nobodies tyres were looking good, the slo-motions showed the heavy wear, I remember..... Di Resta's I think, front left had the wide line of wear on the front left. That's why the drivers are going slow. if they were going fast without fuel, we'd be doing 5 or 6 stops a race. Tyres would be gone in mere laps.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 28 Mar 2013, 19:48

Ma Qing Hua will replace Charles Pic in FP1 in China.

Alexander Rossi will replace Giedo van der Garde in four FP1 sessions, the first of which is Bahrain.

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 29 Mar 2013, 06:42

phil1993 wrote:Ma Qing Hua will replace Charles Pic in FP1 in China.
is this the first time that a chinese driver drives an f1 car ?
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

SpliT
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by SpliT » 29 Mar 2013, 11:20

He became the first Chinese driver to take part in a Grand Prix weekend when he replaced Narain Karthikeyan in the first Friday practice session of the Italian Grand Prix last year.

mnmracer
kart driver
kart driver

Post by mnmracer » 29 Mar 2013, 11:59

majidasadi wrote:
Ho-Pin Tung tested a Williams (I think), but not during an official Grand Prix weekend.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 29 Mar 2013, 12:19

mnmracer wrote:
majidasadi wrote:
Ho-Pin Tung tested a Williams (I think), but not during an official Grand Prix weekend.
He did it with HRT.

mnmracer
kart driver
kart driver

Post by mnmracer » 29 Mar 2013, 16:20

In 2009, that was pretty much the same :P

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 29 Mar 2013, 16:33

Ma is basically the first, because Ho-Pin Tung is Chinese through convenience. He was born in the Netherlands and grew up there as far as I'm aware.