Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
KevC

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by KevC » 16 Mar 2013, 19:23

Yeah I pay around fifty something UKP a month for basic channels and sport but that does get you about 3-400 tv channels on all sorts of things, it's not just F1.

Going back to the coverage, I don't think Sky have changed much this year to be honest.
Still doing the stupid interview scenarios (had all the rookies playing beach volleyball and Perez and Button playing darts and pool in a pub). They also haven't done any sort of season starter information yet. I would have expected a summary of who is in which team now, the car liveries, the rule changes, the tech changes etc. I guess they might do that before the race but I would have expected it in the qually preamble.

Looks like they're using Ted a bit more for tech stuff though, which is good. After every qually and race they have a 15 minute notebook feature as a separate show now. Last year they just tagged it on an hour after the race at the end of the post-race chatter, if they had time.

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 16 Mar 2013, 19:36

Ted is the brightest thing when it comes to SKY coverage. :)

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

Coopz
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Coopz » 16 Mar 2013, 22:28

Vlad-SRB wrote:Ted is the brightest thing when it comes to SKY coverage. :)
I love Ted, Brundle and Crofty. Crofty can make mistakes sometimes, but I love the passion he puts in. I was watching the Australian 2010 race and one thing that hit me is how much better the starts are with Crofty commentating. Legard had no passion about him hardly at the start of races. I think Ant Davidson should be in the pit lane too. I like listening to him. - I wish Lazenby would get lost though. I don't like him.

KevC

Post by KevC » 17 Mar 2013, 16:56

Not bad first race coverage from Sky but I don't remember seeing any sort of preview to the season explaining who was driving for who, very little on the new drivers coming in and their credentials, what the changes have been in rules and regs etc. That, I think, is extremely poor and alienates anyone who wants to come in as a casual viewer. It should be number 1 on their feature list for a new season.

They're wetting themselves over Max Chilton though. Yes he's a new driver this year but so are 4 other guys. I think they did a bit too much on him.

Ant Davidson worked well on his own on the skypad without GT but they could have used him a little more. I always feel his section is a little rushed, especially when they just cut back afterwards to more droning from the pundits saying the same things over again.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 17 Mar 2013, 18:19

Yeah I thought Davidson was really good this weekend. His analysis after qualifying comparing Vettel and Webber through the penultimate corner was very interesting. Really highlighted the difference between a good driver and a great one.

Alex_f1_baby
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Alex_f1_baby » 19 Mar 2013, 09:51

Coopz wrote:
Vlad-SRB wrote:Ted is the brightest thing when it comes to SKY coverage. :)
I love Ted, Brundle and Crofty. Crofty can make mistakes sometimes, but I love the passion he puts in.
I always liked Brundle but the other two I could take or leave. Having watched Sky I can't say my opinion has changed too much on Ted and Crofty. Brundle is a safe bet for a commentator and adds value to any broadcast. I do think the BBC have shown that all these people are perfectly replaceable though and have in fact put together a presenting team I think is their best yet. The only negative is the loss of some live races of course, but when you are faced with tough times its better than putting yourself in debt. I love F1 but don't love it enough to change my life to accommodate it financially. Its a rich sport already and I have no wish to make it richer at the expense of making me that bit poorer every month hehe.

I loved Suzi on Sunday. I managed to avoid the race result all morning after getting up late too. Sat down for Sunday lunch and the race. It didn't feel like it was highlights which made it better. Clever editing combined with the boring laps cut out I assume? Suzi had a couple of moments where David saved her but nothing to criticise in my opinion. She will only get better and her first race was better than ok.

I think I am the only person here who doesn't watch on Sky. :p

KevC

Post by KevC » 19 Mar 2013, 09:59

Anyone know why EJ wasn't on the BBC this weekend?

Alex_f1_baby
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Alex_f1_baby » 19 Mar 2013, 10:02

He doesn't cover 'highlights' weekends. He'll be back for the first live race of the season though :)

stormer208
car driver
car driver

Post by stormer208 » 20 Mar 2013, 11:19

Can anybody tell me where I can get the schedule for Sky's F1 Channel.

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 20 Mar 2013, 11:21

stormer208 wrote:Can anybody tell me where I can get the schedule for Sky's F1 Channel.
Is this what you're looking for?
Last edited by Joey Zyla on 20 Mar 2013, 11:49, edited 1 time in total.

stormer208
car driver
car driver

Post by stormer208 » 20 Mar 2013, 11:46

It helps, thanks. And where can I find the times for the rest of the programs that's broadcasted?

Joey Zyla
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Joey Zyla » 20 Mar 2013, 11:48

stormer208 wrote:It helps, thanks. And where can I find the times for the rest of the programs that's broadcasted?
http://www1.skysports.com/watch/tv-guide

stormer208
car driver
car driver

Post by stormer208 » 20 Mar 2013, 13:01

thanks

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 24 Mar 2013, 21:41

Just watched Lee McKenzie's interviews with Vettel and Webber. Real reminder how much better she is than Natalie Pinkham.

KevC

Post by KevC » 24 Mar 2013, 21:55

Has she learnt any new questions other than
Tell us what happened out there.
and
You must be bitterly disappointed.