2012-13 Silly Season

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: 2012-13 Silly Season

Post by mikhailv » 05 Mar 2013, 13:56

Honda and Renault turbo engines were supreme.

Im hoping purely to get rid of that god awful c**p chrome Mclaren livery. MP4-21 got it right, but afterwards it was abysmal, and its been 7 years of abysmal.

kals
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by kals » 05 Mar 2013, 16:06

Yeah I'd like to see McLaren have a fresh livery. I've not liked the silver / chrome design since 1998.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 06 Mar 2013, 10:50

Yeah, its was very bland. The MP4-21 matched well with the black, gold and chrome. loved that beauty, and it was a proper chrome, not Ford Focus Silver;

But again, looking back at it, its pretty bland. But then I think just about all the liveries are no longer exciting.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 06 Mar 2013, 12:00

The thing that annoys me is McLaren try to portray their Vodafone livery as somehow iconic and a fan favourite. But it's not.

Like you say, the 2006 one was much better. The side on shot looks so good.

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 06 Mar 2013, 17:04

@mikhailv
Totally agree with everything you said there. :)

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 08 Mar 2013, 16:46

To be honest, I think Mclaren's liveries have been boring for 20-30 years. I mean, the Mclaren Honda was iconic, but it truly was a very dull and plain livery. I didnt like the 'west' livery either, very dull. Ferrari's have always been boring and plain.

Its the Jordan hornets/sharks, Renaults dragon/flower, Honda's 555 and their one-off liveries etc that are cool because they are unique and bring flair. Mclaren is a perfect reflection of the team; repetatively corporate and predictable. Id love to see a yellow Ferrari F1 car. just an odd year out of the red.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 08 Mar 2013, 20:00

Its not that easy. Red has become part of the Ferrari brand. When anyone around the world thinks Ferrari, they think red. It's a clever marketing tactic that takes ages to implement.

The last thing you want is a yellow car that gets called Ferrari, and that red-Ferrari connection that took years to develop suddenly stands on tenterhooks

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 08 Mar 2013, 22:08

Yes. The red has become a brand.

Just like the Marlboro Honda-Mclaren livery..... it's unforgettable. If Mclaren or any team can do the same with their own colours (ie chrome and red for Macca) then they'll definitely gain market power. Much better than simply promoting sponsor's colors while the contract lasts....

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 09 Mar 2013, 16:59

Yeah I know red has become the brand. Even though Ferrari's actual colour is yellow. to be honest, could be good if they just wrap the ferrari badge around the car. The cherry metallics were nice, but still boring as hell. but then Ferrari liveries always have been boring as hell.

And the honda/mclaren colours are the same as Honda's colours of the japanese flag anyway. Marlboro wasnt memorable on Mclaren Honda for colour, I forgot they even sponsored mclaren as theyre more associated with Ferrari. I remember Tag-Heur and Shell with Mclaren more than Marlboro!

I mean, whats the brands you most associate with teams? Taking out engine manufacturers and tyre manufacturers for me;

Renault F1: Mild Seven, Hanjin and Telefonica, ING, Magnetti Marelli, Total, Elf, iMode, Guru, Pepe Jeans, Chronotec, Mutua Madrilena,
BMW F1: HP, Credit Suisse, Intel, Syntium, Petronas, O2,
Ferrari: Marlboro, Martini, Shell, Tic Tacs, Agip,
Mclaren: West, Vodafone, Johnnie walker/diageo, Shell in the 80's,
Lotus: John Player Special, Olympus, Gold Leaf
Fake Lotus: Total
jaguar: Becks, HSBC
Jordan: Benson & Hedges, DHL, Mastercard, 7UP\
benetton: Sisely, Camel, Korean air, Marconi, Bitburger
Williams: FedEx, AT&T, Camel, Rothmans, HP, Phillips, Invent, Allianz, Elf, Compaq, Nortel, RBS, Canon, Labatts, Saudia, Tag, Mobil 1, Fina, Ambrozium, Leyland

Knowing so many Renault F1 sponsors doesnt suprise me off the top of my head, but the Williams ones really surprises how they've stuck with me.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 12 Mar 2013, 01:51

Yeah but that's what i mean about the brands. The fact you associate all those brands and not teams with the liveries shows those teams marketed a brand more than the team itself.

The Mclaren/Marlboro even with the Japan flag colours, had the outlines of Marlboro.

What i'm trying to say is.... Ferrari have always tried to reinforce their brand together with their sponsors'. If you see a Ferrari car, you will know its a Ferrari even without decals. Mclaren with the whole chrome scheme are doing similar. If they achieve something memorable, and keep up with their colour scheme, then years from now, people will always associate that scheme to Mclaren. Even if the red area said Vodaphone or whatever...

I think that's what Mclaren is trying to do. Looks like Lotus as well and what Mercedes did with the silver arrows a long time ago.

Red Bull and Toro Rosso are different, because Red Bull is both the team and the sponsor.... so it makes no difference to them.