2013 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Re: 2013 Formula One Discussion

Post by phil1993 » 08 Jan 2013, 14:26

Helmut Marko has ended the news drought
http://www.f1zone.net/news/marko-hits-b ... ics/17318/

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 08 Jan 2013, 16:32

phil1993 wrote:Helmut Marko has ended the news drought
http://www.f1zone.net/news/marko-hits-b ... ics/17318/
This guy. Webber doesn't act to his liking in Brazil and voilà! The thing is, he might absolutely be right, but instead of keeping it behind closed doors he publicy slams Webber. Again.
This reminds me of the thing I stated a while back about how Red Bull are treating their partners (Renault in particular) in case of a failure and how the other teams don't immediately point the finger at their suppliers when sth. goes wrong. I see a parallel here to the way Marko is treating Webber.
Massa surely has deseverdly been criticized even by his own team last season. I might be mistaken here, but I can't recall Montezemolo being that blunt about Felipe. I'm not advocating Ferrari's handling of their "second" driver either, for obvious reasons...
It's just that Marko doesn't even bother to hide his favoritism towards Vettel and publicly critizises a driver, who had a significant part in securing the constructors title for Red Bull for three years on the trot.
Just to say this again, I don't even think Marko is wrong here. I just think it's disrespectful that time and time again he is pointing out that Webber is not as good as Vettel, just to put him in his place.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Jan 2013, 17:07

19 races this year and the sport is heading back to the Nurburgring
http://www.f1zone.net/news/nurburgring- ... dar/17319/

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 08 Jan 2013, 17:22

I'm a Red Bull and Vettel fan. I totally DISLIKE Helmut Marco. But I totally respect his work and the way of doing things. Hater-job, as I would call it.

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 08 Jan 2013, 17:25

So, Alonso is silly as he is trash talking people, yet Marko likes trash talking Webber? As the saying goes, empty vessels make the most noise.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Jan 2013, 17:56

He does have a point on some aspects, but it's a little disrespectful to talk about Mark like that.

I think his irritation - and I can understand this - is the perception that Newey gets all of the praise. Vettel is a mercurial talent. Is he as good as Alonso or Hamilton? That's a theory that will debated for decades. But behind Newey and Vettel is a strong team of people that get little credit.

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 08 Jan 2013, 18:45

phil1993 wrote:He does have a point on some aspects, but it's a little disrespectful to talk about Mark like that.

I think his irritation - and I can understand this - is the perception that Newey gets all of the praise. Vettel is a mercurial talent. Is he as good as Alonso or Hamilton? That's a theory that will debated for decades. But behind Newey and Vettel is a strong team of people that get little credit.
Mhm, ok. But how is that reflected in the article about Webber? It's purpose is not to point out that beyond Newey and Vettel there are other talents in the team, but quite to the contrary, it just emphasizes how great a driver Vettel is. And he certainly is, there's not much to choose between him, Alonso and Hamilton imo. But all you hear about Marko is Vettel, Vettel, Vettel (even if asked about Webber). It gets annoying.

Which leads me to another thing... @VladSRB
I'm a Red Bull and Vettel fan. I totally DISLIKE Helmut Marco. But I totally respect his work and the way of doing things. Hater-job, as I would call it.
And that's what he should stick to, his work as a driver development guy and a consultant! He himself is becoming like a poster child for Red Bull and in my opinion not to their advantage.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 08 Jan 2013, 22:59

Marko is on my ignore list. Cant harp about politics and say vettel was so supreme; why is he only rated 3rd or even 4th by some publications and journalists then Helmut dicko?

As for webber; he was on par until the got the exhaust trickery back. Webber doesnt like it; said it at the end of 2010, through 2011.

Adam
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Adam » 09 Jan 2013, 00:28

Alonso replied to his comments saying "I'm praised that RBR consider Ferrari their biggest rival" as implying Marko is ironically trying mind games (the same games Marko complains about lol).

http://www.marca.com/2013/01/08/motor/f ... 65738.html

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 09 Jan 2013, 00:41

Who is this guy? I mean seriously WHO IS Helmut Marko? When people like Niki Lauda or Jacques Villeneuve, Ron Dennis, Eddie Jordan, Luca Di Montezemolo or Martin Whitmarsh state their opinion, you take the time to listen because these people are either ex world champions, existing or former team managers/CEOs.

But then comes this 'team advisor' or 'driver consultant' and gets a microphone in his face every time he rears his head... I just don't get it...

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 09 Jan 2013, 01:18

Helmut is a person you dislike or hate. Simple as that. :D But every team should have someone like that. X)

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

Edi96
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Edi96 » 09 Jan 2013, 01:58

tderias wrote:Who is this guy? I mean seriously WHO IS Helmut Marko? When people like Niki Lauda or Jacques Villeneuve, Ron Dennis, Eddie Jordan, Luca Di Montezemolo or Martin Whitmarsh state their opinion, you take the time to listen because these people are either ex world champions, existing or former team managers/CEOs.

But then comes this 'team advisor' or 'driver consultant' and gets a microphone in his face every time he rears his head... I just don't get it...
At least he has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans before his career came to an early end because of this stone. Don't underestimate him Dr. Marko. He is working since a long time in Motorsport and brought for example Gerhard Berger into F1. When Juan Montoya was driving for his team he invited him to his house. After Montoya arrived Dr. Marko made him run 10km uphill and only offered him salad because he questioned his fitness (Montoya left after that season).
His influence in the team is very big. Materschitz completely trusts him and his judgement. You don't have to like him but you should respect him.

Alex_f1_baby
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Alex_f1_baby » 09 Jan 2013, 09:38

Edi96 wrote:
tderias wrote:Who is this guy? I mean seriously WHO IS Helmut Marko? When people like Niki Lauda or Jacques Villeneuve, Ron Dennis, Eddie Jordan, Luca Di Montezemolo or Martin Whitmarsh state their opinion, you take the time to listen because these people are either ex world champions, existing or former team managers/CEOs.

At least he has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans before his career came to an early end because of this stone. Don't underestimate him Dr. Marko. He is working since a long time in Motorsport and brought for example Gerhard Berger into F1. When Juan Montoya was driving for his team he invited him to his house. After Montoya arrived Dr. Marko made him run 10km uphill and only offered him salad because he questioned his fitness (Montoya left after that season).
His influence in the team is very big. Materschitz completely trusts him and his judgement. You don't have to like him but you should respect him.
Marko undoubtedly knows a lot about motorsport but I feel he is unwise with some of his comments that often put him in the same category as Luca Di Montezemolo.

Vlad-SRB
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Vlad-SRB » 09 Jan 2013, 09:42

But that's exactly the point, don't you get it? He IS the person for the dirty job.

Human at Sight,
Monster at Heart!

Alex_f1_baby
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Alex_f1_baby » 09 Jan 2013, 09:46

Vlad-SRB wrote:But that's exactly the point, don't you get it? He IS the person for the dirty job.
I get it, but it doesn't mean I will respect his opinion when he makes provocative and unprofessional comments about his own driver amongst other issues. Its dirty PR and just adds flame to the topic of Red Bull being disliked by some.