Too Much of a Gentleman?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Too Much of a Gentleman?

Post by donald29 » 14 Aug 2007, 08:46

I recently bought a book called "The Formula 1 Miscellany" by John White and I strongly recomend it. Whilst reading it I came across a story entitled "Moss The Perfect Gentleman" and it read "At the Portugese Grand Prix on 24 August 1958 Stirling Moss won in his Vanwall. Mike Hawthorn (Ferrari) finished second but was disqualified for pushing his car, a direct infringement of F1 rules. However, Moss interceded on behalf of Hawthorn, who was permitted to keep his second place and the six points that came with it. Moss's gentlemanly gesture backfired on him when he finished runner up to Hawthorn in the 1958 Drivers' Championship by a single point." &doh

Nice guys finish last? ''hmm''

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Too Much of a Gentleman?

Post by maltafan » 14 Aug 2007, 16:06

yes he was Donald. And that was the reason why he did not win and championships. He was too much of a sporty person, unfortunately for him.

Thanks for the book advice ;)

mirek01
kart driver
kart driver

Post by mirek01 » 14 Aug 2007, 20:30

I think that's why we remember him because Moss was a Gentleman not only a fast and good racer.

WDC
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by WDC » 15 Aug 2007, 12:12

it is true, although, look at damon hill. he was regarded as the gentleman of his era, and he managed a title!
to be a champion at anything, you need a certain level of ruthlessness! a bit of do-or-die atitude, tough but fair!
Thankyou Schumi you will always have a place in our hearts!
Michael Schumacher- 7 volte Campione del mondo!
SIMPLY THE BEST

AndyPerry
car driver
car driver

Post by AndyPerry » 21 Aug 2007, 08:54

I don't really believe in that...Moss had mostly competitive cars under him (as far is I recall) and if he didn't win the championship with at least one of them, well it just had to have been his fault then. He amassed to 16 wins in total which, in his era, should have been more than enough for a WDC, even two. Can't say I really feel sorry for him.