Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by iceman1 » 20 Nov 2012, 12:09

I met both Peter Windsor and Will Buxton in Abu Dhabi last month, even Buxton asked me if I can send him the paddock pass video from India which I did but he never replied :p

I think you are lucky. At least you get a decent coverage. Here in Middle East there's just one commentator for the whole season. Nothing else. I feel sorry for the fans here, at least I can download the whole coverage from BBC or Sky Sports but you need a good coverage to get more people involved in this sport.

KevC

Post by KevC » 20 Nov 2012, 16:15

mikhailv wrote:
mileso wrote:Perhaps you don't realize that Sky et al do not own the videos, films, etc. they are only getting a one time license. Each viewing would necessitate paying a fee for its use. Given the money Bernie gets for his F~0~M content, it is probably prohibitive to air it more than once. If it were not for those fees, racing would be seen on many different channels.
As to Sky's coverage, their constant references to Hamilton and Button, as though they were important players this year when in fact they are barely also-rans in the top tier is terribly wearing. I hope that more races in the US will mean more American and Canadian drivers and maybe an opportunity to listen to something other than the nasal British whine of Brundle.
Oh im aware. The sky F1 channel has shown the DVD reviews split into 4 races over several night. The BBC had access to the race highlights of previous years, im sure Sky will have the same deal. Earlier this year, did they not show like the 2011, 2010 and 2009 races in full? I recall it on the Monaco weekend.

Same thing with the Legends of F1. its the same repeats of Mansell, Hakkinen, Surtees, Brabham, Jones, Andretti, Scheckter, stewart and Fittipaldi. They did Moss too. Even did Murrary walker which I didnt really get in the sense that, I think of legends as drivers, but he is a legendary commentator. Him and james hunt..... brilliant.

But theyve got a wealth of drivers they could do. I mean, The f1 show is wasted in a sense. you could have Ant, Brundle, Hill, Herbert and maybe a guest journalist or driver, going through a year in Formula 1, talking about the drivers. Like they themselves reviewing a year with footage, bit of banter, talking about controversies, or even deaths.

Yknow, stuff like that. F~0~M will clearly give them the footage, Sky are paying a hell of alot to F~0~M, and they clearly have alot of back catalogue, If the BBC had a wealth of highlights and some full races, Sky clearly have them too.

Even if its like a History of Formula 1, and each hour long episode or hour and a half, is one year of formula 1, upto the current few years. Could even do a programme on the evolution of F1 cars. revolutionary ground effect, concepts, designs etc. it could be so educational and give so much knowledge.
I agree with most of that.

I think though, to be fair to Sky, it's the first season and we can only hope they'll consult the fans and see what they've done right and wrong and what they're missing in their coverage.

I'd much rather see a driver sat in a chair being interviewed properly than having them do a silly quiz or chat while cooking. Things like that I would like to think they'll learn from with a look back over their coverage in the off season.

The F1 Show is a bit hit and miss. Half of it is spent reviewing the previous race or previewing the next. I often get the feeling Ted would like to do more in depth stuff but isn't given the chance. For example, at Austin he said the helicopter pilot was great and he'd like to talk to him. So why not? What a great feature on who he is, how he got the job and what he has to do and the equipment to film it. Instead of that we had about 5 different montages of America and cars etc. It's not hard to think of these things to report on, it would just be nice if Sky thought of them too.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 20 Nov 2012, 19:37

iceman1 wrote:I met both Peter Windsor and Will Buxton in Abu Dhabi last month, even Buxton asked me if I can send him the paddock pass video from India which I did but he never replied :p

I think you are lucky. At least you get a decent coverage. Here in Middle East there's just one commentator for the whole season. Nothing else. I feel sorry for the fans here, at least I can download the whole coverage from BBC or Sky Sports but you need a good coverage to get more people involved in this sport.
I know. I was thinking of applying for a job to co-commentate with Ayman, I'd probably do a better job. :p Most of the time he's not aware of what's happening on the screen, getting surprised when normal/expected things happen, and not educated enough about F1 in general.

Like in Austin he actually considered that Vettel was on intermediates when he set the fastest lap in one of the sessions, just because there was flowviz on the inside tyre wall :lol:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 20 Nov 2012, 19:40

iceman1 wrote:I met both Peter Windsor and Will Buxton in Abu Dhabi last month, even Buxton asked me if I can send him the paddock pass video from India which I did but he never replied :p
#DeadPuppies

:lol:

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 20 Nov 2012, 19:43

Never actually watched Paddock Pass. Where can I?

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 20 Nov 2012, 19:47

tderias wrote:

I know. I was thinking of applying for a job to co-commentate with Ayman, I'd probably do a better job. :p Most of the time he's not aware of what's happening on the screen, getting surprised when normal/expected things happen, and not educated enough about F1 in general.

Like in Austin he actually considered that Vettel was on intermediates when he set the fastest lap in one of the sessions, just because there was flowviz on the inside tyre wall :lol:
That's why I listen to BBC5 live radio and mute the sound of my TV. It's pretty though to know what's happening when you are alone and doing everything.

James Allen FTW :p

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 20 Nov 2012, 19:49

donald29 wrote:Never actually watched Paddock Pass. Where can I?
I get them from someone who lives in Canada. I have most of the second part of 2012. I'll upload Monaco now.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 20 Nov 2012, 19:55

donald29 wrote:Never actually watched Paddock Pass. Where can I?
Here's the last one from Abu Dhabi!

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 20 Nov 2012, 20:14

I like Will; I think he comes from near me originally.

Here's Monaco
http://www.mediafire.com/?hbc9k9k5n35q4d9

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 20 Nov 2012, 20:15

Cheers. :)

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 20 Nov 2012, 20:21

Montreal was a funny one as he just couldn't speak :p

I wanted Silverstone's paddock pass but no-one has it :(

Edi96
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Edi96 » 21 Nov 2012, 13:59

Sky should do something like this for the next season:

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 21 Nov 2012, 17:06

I watched that not long ago, thought it was brilliant. Love how he keeps just taking the piss out of Ukyo Katayama. :lol: And the Patrick Head Damon Hill bit. :lol:

stormer208
car driver
car driver

Post by stormer208 » 03 Dec 2012, 15:10

Kevin Clark wrote:Georgie Thompson doesn't appear to know anything about F1. I think the fans don't like her mainly because of that and the fact that she's largely surplus to requirements. Ant Davidson does a very good presenting job with the skypad thingy and doesn't need her there to interject silly questions and nod a lot and sticker her arse out. He can present the info just fine on his own. And she says 'erm' a LOT. Likewise Ted could present the friday night F1 Show just fine on his own. She just doesn't 'add' anything. it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped her next year.

Ted is a lot better than he used to be when he started out. He's very knowledgeable, asks the right questions and manages to find out a lot of stuff behind the scenes. He does a very good job imo.
You seem to forget the fact that many fans are not that good at knowing all the technical stuff.
That's why it's good having Georgie there with Anthony to ask those questions that the average
fan wants to ask, but can't because they're not there.

KevC

Post by KevC » 03 Dec 2012, 15:36

Georgie grew on me through the season, mainly because I think she actually started to get a grasp of what was going on. But you can have knowledgeable people asking novice questions.