The future of Ferrari's #2?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Who should replace Felipe Massa for 2012, should such a situation arise?

Sergio Perez
43%
Mark Webber
No votes
Jules Bianchi
5%
Davide Rigon
No votes
Jaime Alguersuari
No votes
Adrian Sutil
24%
Jerome d'Ambrosio
No votes
Nico Hulkenberg
14%
Paul di Resta
10%
Other
5%

Total votes: 21

sportingcp
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: The future of Ferrari's #2?

Post by sportingcp » 15 Oct 2012, 14:37

I was expecting Vettel to have a Ferrari seat in 2014, but I´m starting to have some doubts. Judging by Montzemelo words, he said something like Ferrari can´t have 2 top drivers at least that´s my interpretation so if the boss says that i´m starting to think it may be very difficult to have Alonso and Vettel in the same team. Maybe we´ll have to wait some more years to see Vettel in Ferrari. Massa is doing a good job in this final part of the season, but still I would like to see another guy driving that car, some "fresh blood". Hulkenberg is a superb driver I really would like to see him in a top seat, they could try him. I think he will end either on Ferrari or Red Bull.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 15 Oct 2012, 14:45

I've thought for a while that the Vettel > Ferrari deal is done, but it doesn't make sense unless Alonso is leaving, which I don't think he is.

Two Number 1 drivers doesn't win you the championship. The Constructors maybe, but not the Drivers.

sportingcp
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by sportingcp » 15 Oct 2012, 15:04

phil1993 wrote:I've thought for a while that the Vettel > Ferrari deal is done, but it doesn't make sense unless Alonso is leaving, which I don't think he is.

Two Number 1 drivers doesn't win you the championship. The Constructors maybe, but not the Drivers.
2007 season Alonso and Hamilton with their internal battle ended screwing up the title stolen by Raikkonen in that last race so that´s kind of true. But McLaren had Prost and Senna, we know very well how dominating they were. But yeah, that didn´t end very well. I think it´s getting a bit frustrating for Alonso this situation, he is the best driver and is doing an excellent job and I´m sure he knows he deserves the title and really wants it. But he can´t do more than what he is doing, it´s the team job to give him a better car. He is really close again, in 2010 he was too, but still the car lacks some speed and he is again in disadvantage. I don´t think he is gonna leave the team, I assume that he is going to end his career at Ferrari, but it would be a shame if they couldn´t give him a car good enough to make him win the WDC again.

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 15 Oct 2012, 15:11

phil1993 wrote:I've thought for a while that the Vettel > Ferrari deal is done, but it doesn't make sense unless Alonso is leaving, which I don't think he is.
Not sure, if its upto Alonso, legally he has contract till 2016. Which can brought or settle using 'exit clause'.

RBR / Newey combination has been phenomenal so far, I m afraid Vettel might lose more....

Eric_Cartman
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Eric_Cartman » 15 Oct 2012, 15:35

Vettel and Alonso in one team would be one of the greatest things ever happen in F1 imo. But as said above the two would take away points from each other and in the end they would lose the drivers championship because of that.

I think Vettel and Alonso himself would have no problem to drive against each other in the same team. Quite the opposite, Alonso is confident to beat Vettel and Seb wants to show that he can beat the driver who is renowned as the best currently.
FC BAYERN 7 - BARCELONA 0

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 16 Oct 2012, 16:18

OK it's over. Massa stays for 2013.

F1EA
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by F1EA » 16 Oct 2012, 22:35

iceman1 wrote:OK it's over. Massa stays for 2013.
Over? Far from... The rumours have already started for 2014 hehhehehe

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 Oct 2012, 14:10

naiego
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by naiego » 20 Oct 2012, 21:45

sportingcp wrote:I was expecting Vettel to have a Ferrari seat in 2014, but I´m starting to have some doubts. Judging by Montzemelo words, he said something like Ferrari can´t have 2 top drivers at least that´s my interpretation so if the boss says that i´m starting to think it may be very difficult to have Alonso and Vettel in the same team. Maybe we´ll have to wait some more years to see Vettel in Ferrari. Massa is doing a good job in this final part of the season, but still I would like to see another guy driving that car, some "fresh blood". Hulkenberg is a superb driver I really would like to see him in a top seat, they could try him. I think he will end either on Ferrari or Red Bull.
Since Ferrari have decided than Alonso is their "primadonna" the No 2 driver has to finish races behind Alonso, just behind him if possible.
Massa is doing that, many times not just behind him (that is bad for the team's hopes for the Constructor's Championship).
In my opinion it's difficult for a young, promising driver with ambitions for winning races (for instance Grosjean, Hulkenberg etc.) to choose to join Ferrari. Unless we're talking about a driver with an uncertain future in Formula 1 (Kobayashi for instance or others like him).

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 20 Oct 2012, 23:18

Thats the thing I don't like in Ferrari. I don't get why they have this No.1, No.2 system going on. Look at McLaren when they had Senna and Prost. Bagging both the championships was a non-issue for the team. Sure the inter-team battles got out of hand, but what does it create, interesting F1 drama and thrilling on-track battles? I'll take it!

Red Bull run a middle-ground sort of system and it works a treat for them. I wouldn't say that it's entirely equal between Seb and Mark that's for sure, but it's light years closer than any pairing Ferrari have combined.

naiego
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by naiego » 21 Oct 2012, 09:40

tderias wrote:Thats the thing I don't like in Ferrari. I don't get why they have this No.1, No.2 system going on. Look at McLaren when they had Senna and Prost. Bagging both the championships was a non-issue for the team. Sure the inter-team battles got out of hand, but what does it create, interesting F1 drama and thrilling on-track battles? I'll take it!

Red Bull run a middle-ground sort of system and it works a treat for them. I wouldn't say that it's entirely equal between Seb and Mark that's for sure, but it's light years closer than any pairing Ferrari have combined.
In the McLaren case of Senna-Prost, the car was so superior to the others that this "feud" didn't hurt the team. In the case of Mansell - Piquet in Williams in '86, it cost them the drivers' championship. In the Alonso - Hamilton case in 2007 it cost McLaren both championships as well.
In 1982 both Ferrari drivers (Villeneuve and Pironi) were involved in a battle between them for the title, finally Rosberg got it, of course both drivers didn't finish the season due to Villeneuve's death and Pironi's accident.
Ferrari think that this kind of confrontations lead to trouble so they decided to operate like that, if it's right or wrong time will tell.