Do you wish F1 was more competitive?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
ntr
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by ntr » 20 Jun 2007, 15:58

I think the main problem is aerodynamics...I mean cars used to be able to get a slip stream off a slower car in front and pass quite easily and there would be a lot of overtaking....

...but now when you catch up to a slow car you have to wait for a mistake from the driver...look at alonso last race, he was so close but he couldn't even pass when hammy was having tyre problems etc and when kimi was a much quicker than felipe at the end he had no chance of overtaking...that's just crazy...

...they (FIA) need to realise that this is the problem with F1...not enough overtaking...trains form every single race because overtaking is impossible, i mean have we ever seen a mclaren/ferrari properly overtake a ferrari/mclaren this year? i think not...we need to see some proper overtaking please :frown: i can oly remember kimi's overtaking at suzuka 2005 as the last overtaking move that impressed me most...we need more of that
mm tofu

dacer
Donator
Donator

Post by dacer » 20 Jun 2007, 16:06

Now is aerodinamycs age. I think aerodinamycs is awfully important. I think is not posible to overtake, because it's imposible to take a turn near of previous car.

Turbo age was more exciting. It was posible to overtake a car, because a car can turn under the previous car.

christbrown
car driver
car driver

Re: Do you wish F1 was more competitive?

Post by christbrown » 07 Jul 2007, 17:02

Here is a really crazy concept. Flip a coin at the beginning of race day. Heads grid stays the way it is suppose to be, tails and they reverse the grid. Poll is now at the back of the grid, and so on. That would really make for a lot of passing, and since it is a coin toss, at the end of the season anyone could be the world champion. Just a humorous suggestion. Please no throwing of tomatoes.

train
car driver
car driver

Post by train » 11 Jul 2007, 04:18

Also, they should do something about the point system too...its weird that now even if kimi wins all the remaining races and LH is 2 in all of them ...still LH will win the WDC .....kimi with 11 wins and LH with 2 wins ....LH wins WDC ....someone should look into this

idoilani
kart driver
kart driver

Post by idoilani » 10 Aug 2007, 05:36

Overtaking between 2 drivers who are relatively close to each other's level (when considering their cars as well) will just not happen. I wish it would, but I've been wishing that since '96, when I started watching F1.

The thing is, these are top drivers of the world. They have the ability to maximize the performance of their cars. Some more and some less, but overall that's the situation. These guys are also extremley consistent, and make mistakes quite rarely (I'm not talking about small corrections, but mistakes worthy of half a second or more).
Therefore, when a bunch of cars qualifies to some area of the grid, they are likely to stay in that order, yes. That's because their levels are so close to each other, and mistakes are only rarely made.

On top of that, since F1 cars has extremley advanced aerodynamics, it means that one driver can't stay close to another (0.5s or less) for a long time, and pressure him like in other racing leagues (which causes much excitment for the fans), where downforce isn't as strong. That's simply because in a straight line yo do get the toe from the car in front, but in corners you lose much downforce, and you can't keep up with the car in front when you are so close to it. And if somehow you do manage to do that, you'll wear out your tyres amazingly quick. So you have to settle in a gap of 1 sec, you can not put more pressure than this. That's the reason why in motorcycles you can see gaps of 0.2s - they just don't have any downforce there.

That's why it's not as exciting as people want to. The only chances for it to be more exciting, is when a driver has dropped down from some reason, and then he's much better than the cars in his close area, so overtaking becomes possible again. That's why all the changes were made to the qualifying sessions in the past few years - To maximize the odds of a driver qualifying in a worse position than he should have.

So this is about as exciting as it gets in F1. That's the problem in the most advanced cars :roll::

newtrex
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by newtrex » 10 Aug 2007, 17:40

I think this year has been not the best for Slipstring because rev limiter is a problem that the car cannot go on slipstring...

I hope FIA can do something on it...

Suntrek
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suntrek » 10 Aug 2007, 18:20

Well it's MUCH more competitive now than it was in say 1988, 2001, 2002, 2004 for example.

Now we have at least two teams fighting.

So it's an improvement, right?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

idoilani
kart driver
kart driver

Post by idoilani » 10 Aug 2007, 18:34

Suntrek wrote:Well it's MUCH more competitive now than it was in say 1988, 2001, 2002, 2004 for example.

I agree.

There are a few races this season, that every one of them (alone) was more eventful than an entire season of a few years back (like in the years of 1996-2000), so no complaints here :roll::

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 10 Aug 2007, 18:40

I don't think this season is as good as 2003, when you had M. Schumacher, Raikkonen, Montoya, R. Schumacher and R. Barrichello fighting for the championship, and there were 10 different winners and the season went down to the wire with M. Schumacher winning by 2 points !cool!!!!

isaric
car driver
car driver

Post by isaric » 11 Aug 2007, 05:08

Suntrek wrote:Well it's MUCH more competitive now than it was in say 1988, 2001, 2002, 2004 for example.

i dont think 2 is enough competition. ''hmm''

Suntrek
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suntrek » 11 Aug 2007, 12:12

isaric wrote:

i dont think 2 is enough competition. ''hmm''
I can agree with that as such, but there has almost never been more than two teams - at best - competing for the title. As far as my F1 memory goes back there has either been one dominant team or two challenging each other. 2003 was an exception, though.

Also, this year we have four drivers fighting for the title, even if only two teams, that's more than we've had since....well I honestly can't remember...except for 2003 again of course! :p
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.