2012 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
T97/30
car driver
car driver

Re: 2012 Formula One Discussion

Post by T97/30 » 04 Oct 2012, 14:29

donald29 wrote:Anyone know if Autosprint magazine in Italy is reliable? Read some interesting stuff from them about Perez / Ferrari but don't know if it's unreliable gossip or if there might be something in it.
How recent is it? Seeing as Pérez signed for McLaren a week or two back it's certainly not a reliable source if it is recent.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 04 Oct 2012, 14:35

It was after he signed for McLaren, saying Perez was never considered by Ferrari because they don't rate him that highly. They weren't impressed by him when he tested for them as Bianchi was half a second faster. They said Ferrari didn't know he was going to sign for McLaren, but had they known they probably wouldn't have been bothered and would have just let it happen.

T97/30
car driver
car driver

Post by T97/30 » 04 Oct 2012, 14:50

donald29 wrote:It was after he signed for McLaren, saying Perez was never considered by Ferrari because they don't rate him that highly. They weren't impressed by him when he tested for them as Bianchi was half a second faster. They said Ferrari didn't know he was going to sign for McLaren, but had they known they probably wouldn't have been bothered and would have just let it happen.
Considering what Pérez has achieved this season with Sauber I find it hard to believe that Ferrari would hold that against him. It shouldn't be forgotten that Bianchi was better acquainted with the car than Pérez was, so that could well have accounted for the deficit.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 04 Oct 2012, 14:57

T97/30 wrote:
donald29 wrote:It was after he signed for McLaren, saying Perez was never considered by Ferrari because they don't rate him that highly. They weren't impressed by him when he tested for them as Bianchi was half a second faster. They said Ferrari didn't know he was going to sign for McLaren, but had they known they probably wouldn't have been bothered and would have just let it happen.
Considering what Pérez has achieved this season with Sauber I find it hard to believe that Ferrari would hold that against him. It shouldn't be forgotten that Bianchi was better acquainted with the car than Pérez was, so that could well have accounted for the deficit.
What HAS perez achieved? Actually, think about it. 66 points. 51 gained through three podiums after qualifying poorly and having an opposite tyre strategy than what every else had. It wasnt driving around, it wasn't racing. 3 podiumsmake up over 80% of his points. 15 points over 4 other races and 7 non scores.

Perez actually hasnt done much, Demontezemolo is actually correct; two podiums were tyre strategy and 3rd was pot luck just like Alonso's lucky win, it really shouldve been Perez as that car was much faster.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 04 Oct 2012, 14:59

The more I think about it the more I think commercial considerations did play a big part in Perez getting the seat at McLaren. I think he's a good driver (even though he does still have a lot to prove) and don't begrudge him the seat but I think Hulkenberg would have been the best choice. Whitmarsh said on di Resta that they'd exhausted all the commercial opportunities of having an all British line-up these past three years so clearly commercial opportunities were a consideration when making a decision. Agree with much of what Will Buxton says here:

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/20 ... s-settled/

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 04 Oct 2012, 15:03

donald29 wrote:The more I think about it the more I think commercial considerations did play a big part in Perez getting the seat at McLaren. I think he's a good driver (even though he does still have a lot to prove) and don't begrudge him the seat but I think Hulkenberg would have been the best choice. Whitmarsh said on di Resta that they'd exhausted all the commercial opportunities of having an all British line-up these past three years so clearly commercial opportunities were a consideration when making a decision. Agree with much of what Will Buxton says here:

http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/20 ... s-settled/
Vodafone = Out

Telmex = In?

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 04 Oct 2012, 15:06

I think the two are already partners, at least have some sort of tie up, in South America. So I don't know exactly what's going to happen there in terms of which brand appears on the car once it's time for Vodafone to renew their contract.

T97/30
car driver
car driver

Post by T97/30 » 04 Oct 2012, 15:20

mikhailv wrote:
T97/30 wrote:
What HAS perez achieved? Actually, think about it. 66 points. 51 gained through three podiums after qualifying poorly and having an opposite tyre strategy than what every else had. It wasnt driving around, it wasn't racing. 3 podiumsmake up over 80% of his points. 15 points over 4 other races and 7 non scores.

Perez actually hasnt done much, Demontezemolo is actually correct; two podiums were tyre strategy and 3rd was pot luck just like Alonso's lucky win, it really shouldve been Perez as that car was much faster.
You make some good points. However he has at least shown he can make mature decisions on track, which is more than can be said for the likes of Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado. That and it would be wrong to put all Sergio's non-points finishes down to him; he hasn't been lucky with strategy the whole season. The real test of his skill will come next season so really we'll see then just how good (or overrated) he really is.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 04 Oct 2012, 15:23

Yeah, like I say I don't begrudge him the seat and think he's a good driver. But he still has a lot to prove when he goes to McLaren.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 04 Oct 2012, 16:12

T97/30 wrote:
mikhailv wrote:
T97/30 wrote:

You make some good points. However he has at least shown he can make mature decisions on track, which is more than can be said for the likes of Romain Grosjean and Pastor Maldonado. That and it would be wrong to put all Sergio's non-points finishes down to him; he hasn't been lucky with strategy the whole season. The real test of his skill will come next season so really we'll see then just how good (or overrated) he really is.
Ofcourse! I think those decisions though are happening with drivers like Hulkenberg and Di Resta as well. I mean, Maldanado IMO has the potential to be the best out of Hulk/Diresta/Perez/Grosjean.

T97/30
car driver
car driver

Post by T97/30 » 04 Oct 2012, 16:30

mikhailv wrote:
T97/30 wrote:
mikhailv wrote:
T97/30 wrote:

Ofcourse! I think those decisions though are happening with drivers like Hulkenberg and Di Resta as well. I mean, Maldanado IMO has the potential to be the best out of Hulk/Diresta/Perez/Grosjean.
It's possible, providing he can tame his own recklessness. However he might not have long to show that he can improve his consistency. While reading through a thread on another forum I am part of I noticed another member had shared this tweet from Will Buxton, who is an F1 journalist...
Spoiler:
@willbuxton: Well that was interesting. Pastor Maldonado, on the record, just told me he might not be with Williams next year. Keeping options open.
This could simply mean that Pastor fancies a move elsewhere. But it's more likely that Williams have decided they can't afford his recklessness any longer and are better off giving another driver the seat; Adrian Sutil, perhaps? Our maybe one of the ousted Toro Rosso drivers from last season. In fact Jaime Alguersuari seems extremely confident he'll be on the grid next year, so who knows?

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/90024.html

Perhaps he's been in talks with Williams? Sauber is a possibility also but at the time that article was published it seemed Pérez would be remaining there, so I have my doubts.

Back to Maldonado however; there'll probably be seats open to him next year. That is if he cleans up his act and really impresses in the final six races. But unless he does that I find it difficult to see any team worth going to offering him a contract.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 04 Oct 2012, 17:21

I suspect his Williams seat depends on his sponsors coughing up for 2013. His speed might be enough to keep him his drive, but his sponsorship money is huge.

Jackie Stewart today said, '"These two incidents, running up behind other drivers and hitting them at great speed, you might have expected from an inexperienced driver in their first year, but not from one of the great drivers," Stewart said.
"These driver errors would just never have happened with the likes of Alain Prost, Ayrton Senna, Nicki Lauda and or Jim Clarke. They could have ended in tears."'

Yes, Schumacher has made mistakes for which he is to blame. But...

Everyone makes mistakes. Saying 'xyz wouldn't do that' contributes nothing.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 04 Oct 2012, 21:29

Just noticed on my previous post, the BBC spelt Clark wrong!

I wrote this on McLaren next season:

http://www.f1zone.net/news/mclaren-to-l ... 013/16010/

Started off as a comment on Will Buxton's blog, he said he hadn't thought about that but he'd discussed it with colleagues and I was right. :p So I did a longer article about it.

If McLaren have a car as fast as they have had this year qualifying shouldn't be much of an issue for them. And of course qualifying isn't the only reason Hamilton has beaten Button, he's often been better in the races as well. But I can see scenarios where it is close at the front where they need an extra couple of tenths in qualifying that Button doesn't have and Perez doesn't look to have. Then it could cost them.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 05 Oct 2012, 09:30

Johnny Herbert just said the same thing about qualifying on The F1 Show, he obviously reads F1 Zone. :p

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 05 Oct 2012, 13:38

That's a point that I'm sure McLaren will have looked at, but it is a concerning one nonetheless. Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel are super qualifiers, while Fernando Alonso will drag the maximum out of the car (although I think qualifying is one of the slightly weak points of his almost bulletproof armoury) on a Saturday.

Button and Perez aren't great at qualifying...

Another point is that everyone has been going on about Mercedes being terrible in 2012 compared to McLaren. Well, Rosberg isn't far behind Button...