The future of Ferrari's #2?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Who should replace Felipe Massa for 2012, should such a situation arise?

Sergio Perez
43%
Mark Webber
No votes
Jules Bianchi
5%
Davide Rigon
No votes
Jaime Alguersuari
No votes
Adrian Sutil
24%
Jerome d'Ambrosio
No votes
Nico Hulkenberg
14%
Paul di Resta
10%
Other
5%

Total votes: 21

Mansell-Il-Leone
car driver
car driver

Re: The future of Ferrari's #2?

Post by Mansell-Il-Leone » 12 Sep 2012, 16:56

Mansell-Il-Leone wrote:
sportingcp wrote:It´s almost done :thumbsup:. He´s young but i´m curious to see what he can do at Ferrari. Go Go Perez.
the question is, if it makes sense for young talented driver to go to a team that obviously wants a number two driver. it is not really what you want for your career, is it?

i still think sutil would be a pretty good choice. i know that most people don´t like this guy, but he showed some very good races with force india!
sportingcp wrote: like he said they may be targetting Vettel and he is probably gonna be their driver in 2014.
well, what did i say just yesterday. i mentioned that i don´t believe in alonso & perez 2013 and now montezemolo confirmed it. i also doubt they want vettel. if ferrari has a good car, why should they want another driver who wants to challenge alonso. it is just not their philosophy!
i also doubt vettel wants to drive against alonso who has such a deep connection with ferrari now.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 12 Sep 2012, 18:20

I just listened to Motorsport Magazine's August podcast and Nigel Roebuck had some interesting things to say on Perez which I hadn't really thought about. Firstly he said he doesn't like Vettel's response and attitude when he has a bad race, then he said Perez is similar. He said he reminds him of Nelson Piquet Jnr in that he thinks everything is going to fall into place for him. A very good driver, but he wasn't a fan of his attitude.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 12 Sep 2012, 18:29

I think he's a classic Latin driver, quite temperamental. Thrilled when it goes right, tantrum when it goes wrong. But he's only 22.

And when I was in a session with Vettel, I had that same feeling. He wasn't the lucky-go-happy driver everyone said he was in 2011.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 12 Sep 2012, 18:38

It's quite clear to see the difference in Vettel's character and has been for a while. I don't think he's managed to top his toys out the pram performance of Hungary 2010 yet. :p

The things falling into place bit was the thing I found most interesting about Roebuck's comments, that he's not desperate for a Ferrari drive as he expects it will come to him one day. He's good and he knows it was the phrase they used. They highlighted a comment he made where he said he won't be asking for a Ferrari drive, almost he thinks he can sit back and let things come to him.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 12 Sep 2012, 18:42

I agree with that too. The way he was speaking in Monza (I listened to his Thursday written media interview) was someone beyond his years. He was really speaking as if he was a man of a championship, wins and a hundred race starts. Not someone in his second season. It showed maturity but it also seemed a bit as if he was above the other second season drivers.

Vettel is driven by winning, he's a champion. But I think he still needs a little maturity.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 12 Sep 2012, 19:31

Some people say if Ferrari doesn't hire Perez, then it'll hire Hulkenberg. But Hulk is in the same situation as Perez (~32 races) so I don't know what's the difference between the two drivers.

I still believe Kovaleinen is the best option for Ferrari.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 12 Sep 2012, 19:43

If Alonso-Vettel is the line-up for 2014, there is no point hiring Perez. I think this is what his people want assurance of; that Perez is the long-term future. If he isn't, they need a one year stop-gap.

If it's Alonso-Perez, then why not from 2013?

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 12 Sep 2012, 19:50

I think they just need a driver for one year only. Then prepare Vettel (learn from the best) as they did with Massa to take the lead in 2017.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 13 Sep 2012, 09:38

iceman1 wrote:Some people say if Ferrari doesn't hire Perez, then it'll hire Hulkenberg. But Hulk is in the same situation as Perez (~32 races) so I don't know what's the difference between the two drivers.
Perez is 22, Hulkenberg 25. Same level of races, but Hulkenberg is a bit older.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 13 Sep 2012, 11:11

If they plan to acquire Sebastian Vettel in 2014, then I imagine Kovalainen, Fisichella, or any other driver desperate for a drive (Sutil/Algersuari) would occupy the number 2 car for next year.

If they don't, however, then Sergio Perez is the obvious candidate for 2013 and beyond.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 13 Sep 2012, 11:12

tderias wrote:If they plan to acquire Sebastian Vettel in 2014, then I imagine Kovalainen, Fisichella, or any other driver desperate for a drive (Sutil/Algersuari) would occupy the number 2 car for next year.

If they don't, however, then Sergio Perez is the obvious candidate for 2013 and beyond.
Bingo.

If they don't get Perez for 2013, that to me says that they've already signed Vettel for 2014.

StratCaster
kart driver
kart driver

Post by StratCaster » 13 Sep 2012, 15:11

iceman1 wrote:I still believe Kovaleinen is the best option for Ferrari.
Between Kovalainen and Massa I would be hard pressed to pick Heikki. I love the guy and would love even more to see him at Ferrari even as a No. 2 driver replacement but if it was my call I'd stick with the old hand for another season. It's an unnecessary risk since Heikki has been out of a fast car for so long.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 13 Sep 2012, 15:16

I think an important fact to weigh up is the fact that Felipe is the kind of guy who does well in a good car. By this I mean he is not on the top level of dragging a rubbish car higher than it should be, like Lewis, Seb or Fernando have done, as demonstrated by his awful start to the year.

But ever since Monaco, where the F2012 has become a competitive car, Felipe has been on the pace. Okay, Germany was rubbish but apart from that, he's been near to Alonso on pace and in results. Canada he spun - stupid mistake. In Europe he was bundled off by Kamui. This upsurge in form could be what saves him. It's not good enough for a Ferrari leading driver, but competent enough for a #2, if he can maintain it. The fact that Ferrari now has a car to build on for 2013 - whereas a team such as Red Bull is reaching the limit - should also help Felipe.

Mansell-Il-Leone
car driver
car driver

Post by Mansell-Il-Leone » 14 Sep 2012, 20:40

phil1993 wrote:If Alonso-Vettel is the line-up for 2014, there is no point hiring Perez. I think this is what his people want assurance of; that Perez is the long-term future. If he isn't, they need a one year stop-gap.

iceman1 wrote:I think they just need a driver for one year only. Then prepare Vettel (learn from the best) as they did with Massa to take the lead in 2017.
there won´t be any alonso vs vettel in 2014. vettel doesn´t want to learn from the best he wants to win the championship and montezemolo doesn´t want to have any conflict inside his team. he clearly stated that he does not want two drivers fighting for the crown inside his team.
they have alonso and with him they will always be able to fight for the championship with a competetive car, even if other cars are better. there is no need for vettel or hamilton as drivers beside alonso!

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 15 Sep 2012, 15:07

Mansell-Il-Leone wrote:
phil1993 wrote:If Alonso-Vettel is the line-up for 2014, there is no point hiring Perez. I think this is what his people want assurance of; that Perez is the long-term future. If he isn't, they need a one year stop-gap.

iceman1 wrote:I think they just need a driver for one year only. Then prepare Vettel (learn from the best) as they did with Massa to take the lead in 2017.
there won´t be any alonso vs vettel in 2014. vettel doesn´t want to learn from the best he wants to win the championship and montezemolo doesn´t want to have any conflict inside his team. he clearly stated that he does not want two drivers fighting for the crown inside his team.
they have alonso and with him they will always be able to fight for the championship with a competetive car, even if other cars are better. there is no need for vettel or hamilton as drivers beside alonso!
I'd have to agree. I think it's far from certain that Vettel will move to Ferrari as long as Alonso is there and Fernando could stay there well beyond 2016, since I don't think he'll retire when his current contract runs out. And as Mansell-Il-Leone said, Ferrari's driver philosophy seems to contradict such a move.