Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by mikhailv » 01 Sep 2012, 08:48

mileso wrote:@Kevin:
I much prefer the BBC coverage to Sky. A little less hysterical and no Georgie with her giant ass and fake boobs.
I watched the Hungarian practices with a German and then a French feed. The French commentary was the best!
They arent fake!

I prefer sky, but I love Ben Edwards from his work on BTCC. Always enthusiastic but not annoying in it, and he does have some good knowledge.

If Sky replaced croft with Edwards, then id be happy. I love sky's round up though; Brundle, Kravitz, Thompson, Ant, Mcnish, Hill, Herbert. Lazenby isnt too bad really, Crofty aint either but can get annoying. I just love the broad sense of opinion from the team and the fact they get so many guest presenters in which are former drivers.

That and Gary Anderson is an utter tosspot.

mileso
Donator
Donator

Post by mileso » 01 Sep 2012, 21:18

Well both BBC and Sky need to have a course in what being a "commentator" means. Listening to Brundle's goofy voice, trying to sound as though he has the voice of god in his ear is very very wearing. There is way too much time spent speculating about the frigging end of the season when there are still 9 races to go.
If we all knew the outcome we wouldn't bother watching.
Some douche on Sky actually called Alonso's lead in the WDC "insurmountable".
As to fake or not, the fact that we are discussing them and not racing means they are a distraction, not an asset.

mileso
Donator
Donator

Post by mileso » 01 Sep 2012, 21:20

When I finish work today I'm going to watch the qualifying in HD from BBC. I downloaded it this morning.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 05 Sep 2012, 10:02

BBC have put Vettel at 8 in their greatest drivers list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19487080

My biggest objection to this is he's ahead of Alonso. He should not be, not at this point anyway.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 09 Sep 2012, 17:48

Jake tweeted during the race this 'was a race made for highlights'. What c**p, his pushing of the BBC has become ever more stupid. Highlights are never better than the whole thing live and it's ridiculous to claim otherwise.

Am really enjoying Sky's coverage, there were a couple of wobbles early on but they've been really good. Only thing I would say is I miss McNish, he was excellent. BBC's coverage peaked in 2010, since then it became too matey and them (particularly Jake) trying to be funny. Can't say I miss the BBC coverage.

I watched Eddie Jordan's pre-qualifying bit about the Hamilton rumours on iplayer because Jakes said it was 'explosive' and it was rubbish. He was like a parody of himself pulling faces with his nose pressed against the camera. Didn't add anything to what was previously said either.

I find Sky much more professional.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Sep 2012, 17:56

I agree with most of that. I'd tend to watch Sky if I had it.

I know Georgie is there for the eye candy but she's knowledgeable, she's done her homework. True professional. I prefer Lee to Natalie too, and I don't think Dhill adds anything.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 09 Sep 2012, 18:01

I'd say Georgie is definitely more than eye candy. I think she's a really good presenter and like you say has definitely learnt her stuff.

I seem to be one of the few who quite like Lazenby, but if Sky did decide to move him aside Georgie could easily present the main coverage herself.

KevC

Post by KevC » 09 Sep 2012, 19:03

It's still their first season of it though. I think over the winter they'll have a good look at what works and what doesn't and make changes for next year. The big problem I think is that they have a lot of time to fill but not a good way to fill it. Simon Lazenby is terrible imo. I reckon they might bin him for next year.

They also miss out on the opportunity to produce really good items. McLaren had the fastest ever pit stop so why not do an item showing it all in super slow-mo explaining what's happening at each moment of the stop. Could have done the same for the Spa crash. Do histories of each team, driver, track. More tech stuff. Tell us what's in the safety car and how different it is to a standard road car and interview the driver and talk about the cars at the back that follow the first lap. There are so many items they could do instead of silly arse stuff like Vettel playing basketball or getting drivers to play a buzzer game or showing us the championship table for the 5th time in the last 3 hours.

They have all the time in the world to fill but don't seem to know how to do it apart from 4 blokes chatting.

I think Georgie Thompson has got better but Davidson doesn't need her with the skypad thing.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 09 Sep 2012, 21:54

Kevin Clark wrote: They also miss out on the opportunity to produce really good items. McLaren had the fastest ever pit stop so why not do an item showing it all in super slow-mo explaining what's happening at each moment of the stop. Could have done the same for the Spa crash. Do histories of each team, driver, track. More tech stuff. Tell us what's in the safety car and how different it is to a standard road car and interview the driver and talk about the cars at the back that follow the first lap. There are so many items they could do instead of silly arse stuff like Vettel playing basketball or getting drivers to play a buzzer game or showing us the championship table for the 5th time in the last 3 hours.
Seriously good ideas there mate.

I completely loathe Simon Lazenby though. He tries too hard to make his puns work and in being a smartass in general. Didn't he make a sick joke about Princess Diane in the Monaco GP or something? Quite positive something like that happened.

I really like that easy-going atmosphere the BBC has. Never get tired of watching a friendly chat, so I still rate them higher than Sky.

Edi96
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Edi96 » 09 Sep 2012, 22:17

It's an enigma how Lazenby got that job... The sick joke was about Princess Grace and her fatal accident. In the end he got away with a reprimand after he apologized on TV.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 10 Sep 2012, 09:27

I know it's not easy to get a Ferrari and Fiorano to film these pieces. :p But I thought this was one of the best features they did.

http://youtu.be/yUnDEVC-Rsk

More stuff like this would be good. Also Brundle in the McLaren factory showing how the ECU is made was very interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlemxErefpY

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 10 Sep 2012, 09:36

The only good thing about Sky is Ted and the Skypad device to show the replays. That's all really.

I don't know but it seems that Hill doesn't watch the races or something. They showed a replay of the start yesterday and he said Button is fighting with Alonso :roll::

I have no idea why do they need Georgie Thompson in the show? She keeps saying "Yes, oh yeah". People say she's pretty, I find her ugly really.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 10 Sep 2012, 11:41

iceman1 wrote:People say she's pretty, I find her ugly really.
:thumbsup: She's too plastic :lol:

antyk
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by antyk » 10 Sep 2012, 12:19

guys, come on, she's a true beauty :p

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 11 Sep 2012, 11:55

Something else I meant to post, every Nigel Roebuck piece on Sky has been superb. Excellent move to use him.