2012 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Re: 2012 Formula One Discussion

Post by iceman1 » 29 Aug 2012, 11:43

iceman1 wrote:
phil1993 wrote: It seems that Ford completed a 4 day test with Kubica at a circuit in France in order to improve their asphalt pace. JML + Petter were there. Apparently Kubica was concerned about his injuries and fitness but all went well...

edit: Seems it may have been Gronholm and Eurosport got it wrong.
Your friend Joe says it's Kubica.

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2012/08/ ... d-wrc-car/
L'Equipe posted a photo of Kubica testing that Ford Fiesta WRC

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 29 Aug 2012, 15:45

That's not from the test...

SpliT
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by SpliT » 29 Aug 2012, 16:36

iceman1 wrote:L'Equipe posted a photo of Kubica testing that Ford Fiesta WRC
I think it is a Renault Clio or Skoda Fabia.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 29 Aug 2012, 18:40

Our friend Joe puts in a pretty blunt assessment of Caterham's duo
Vitaly Petrov is a pay driver. A good one, but a pay driver nonetheless and if his friends in Russia do not deliver the cash for him to continue in F1 in 2013 then Caterham will take another driver who can provide what is needed. The second driver role is not that important. At the moment Vitaly does it well, but there is no room for sentiment in F1. If the money does not arrive there are others who can do the job. They may not be as good as Vitaly, but the standards are pretty high these days. The team needs a solid number one, with drive, passion and experience.

Despite a fair amount of waffle about his future, Heikki Kovalainen is still the obvious candidate. He will be lucky to get an offer from elsewhere. His speed and experience are of value to Caterham, but he has not outshone Petrov as much as one might have expected. There are other options out there for the ride if Heikki tries to pay hard ball, so he needs to have reasonable financial demands and be keen to stay where he is.
I'd love to see Alexander Rossi get a few races. As well as that, there's plenty of top young drivers around.

I know he's the reserve, but I don't rate Giedo too highly. The next Dutch generation, well, particularly Robin Frijns, is particularly exciting. I just look at all the drivers and wish we either had 3 car teams or a few more teams.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 03 Sep 2012, 19:23

Ok. Ill stick my neck out.

Does anyone else see the similarities between Alonso 2007 and Lewis 2012? Self imploding at Mclaren? I mean, im pretty sure lewis thinks the team are sometimes working against him. Dodgy tyre pressures and strategy, Dodgy rear wings and strange set ups? For some reason, some weekends lewis is absolutly stunning, like Alonso was in Malaysia, Monaco, Europe. But then theres been some shocking brain fade races, and some races where theres just been a mystifying lack of pace.

I think in a sense, Lewis cant handle Jenson starting to beat him not just on luck but on his own choices and speed. Buttons choked it quite abit this season with some horrid performances, but coming contract renewal and his tweets/photos, Im starting to see a similarity.

And you know what? Good. 2007 did Alonso a world of good. Imploding like he did, taking a step back with Renault and then coming to ferrari a better driver than he ever was. Maybe lewis needs to do that. he's been molly coddled at Mclaren. Hes lost the favouritism of Ron Dennis. I think last season,and if he truly does implode this season, will be the best thing for lewis. I think he needs to leave Mclaren an goto a freer environment where he can let his driving do the talking without the politics at mclaren.

I feel that, like Alonso; lewis needs that number 1 status, a driver which rarely will beat him or have the swing over the team unlike he does with Jenson which it appears Jenson has the swing with Whitmarsh.

But the other thing is, its so strikingly damn similar to each other. Alonso started to get paranoid at the end of 2006; when he was 26/27, after his championship. Hamilton, aged 26/27 is putting some amazing performances, but like Alonso, he is imploding. letting off the track things affect on the track.

I think the two are very much the same. Everyone bemoaned about Alonso demanding number 1 status and only feeling combfy and performing at his best when he's number 1 and yknow what? Im getting that feeling with lewis now too.

And its a damn good thing. Its what seperates the normal champion from the great. Look how Senna and Prost imploded. World champions who are hungary, who are adaptable, who are determined and never loose the hunger, demand number 1 and they dont like being beaten. Why should they like it? They shouldnt. They should throw toys out of the pram. And then they should perform better.

I dont understand the critics of 'oh he cant take someone beating him and doesnt want someone as good or better than him as a teammate'. Well, why would you!? If you perform better than anyone else when they arent in the same car as you, regardless of whether your car is better or worse, then why the hell would you want someone like that in car number 2? Sure, call it a weakness. But if its a weakness that makes you perform at your peak and better than everyone else, id call it a pretty good weakness to have.

I really think, lewis imploding will be the best thing for him. Have a year in a lesser team, find himself, hone his race craft to near perfection. The R28 and R29 allowed alonso to perfect his driving. The way he handled a horrible R29 which had no developments since june, yet STILL get 3rd place on pure merit in singapore is a testament to him. I feel lewis coul truly benefit from it. Midfield racing is what lewis needs. He only feels the hunger for wins and podiums. I think, like Alonso has done, he needs to feel the hunger for getting just a single point, feel the hunger and feeling the desire and fight to just make it to 10th or 11th place.

Not getting through the Q2 all the time did Alonso a world of good, having to truly struggle, get up everyday knowing you were the youngest double WDC and your scrapping for 15th place day in day out, pushing like hell just to get a bag of points. Its what lewis could do with. Handling the pressure and the disapointing and disheartening of knowing youve driven 56 qualifying laps, inch perfect no mistake, relentless pace, and its only worth 12th place. It will make lewis appreciate miles more when he gets the champagne again. because when things go wrong half the time he just wants to retire. I think he needs to experience what its like to be nowhere every race, and you cant retire because there is no problems, your car just isnt good enough for much of anything. Lewis needs to truly learn to lose and have no hope of winning, for him to able to truly savour victory, learn to lose on such a massive scale to that he appreciates winning more.

Does anyone else understand me?

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 04 Sep 2012, 00:29

I feel ya. Senna, Vettel, Alonso, Schumacher, Raikkonen, and even Button; all world champions and all of them started with a midfield/backmarker type teams, bar Lewis Hamilton. It makes you appreciate any points you get, because you remember how hard it was getting them when you were racing for an average team.

Lewis's career looks a lot like Jacques Villeneuve's. Started off in a championship winning car, and he hit the ground running immediately upon arrival to F1. He won the championship in his second season, but lost his footing in seasons to come. However, going back to a midfield team did not benefit him whatsoever, which I fear might be the same for Lewis.

It takes real patience, belief, and trust in one's self to be able to maintain good performances when you move from a top team to a lower one, and I don't see why Lewis can't do it, but I don't see him accepting that move anyways.

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 05 Sep 2012, 15:30

Alex Zanardi wins gold at Paralympics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/19493510

Great achievement, hats off to him!

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 05 Sep 2012, 17:42

MavF1 wrote:Alex Zanardi wins gold at Paralympics

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability-sport/19493510

Great achievement, hats off to him!
Respect :thumbsup:

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 07 Sep 2012, 10:36

Wasn't sure where to post this, but Eddie Jordan is selling a load of his F1 memorabilia including some trophies and Schumacher's 191 that he raced at Spa.

http://www.mementoexclusives.com/Eddie- ... s/2059.htm

Want.

http://www.mementoexclusives.com/product-p/ej100-.htm

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 Sep 2012, 19:42

I'm fairly sure this is going to happen:

Perez > Ferrari
Pic > Sauber
Chilton > Marussia
Massa > Somewhere, Brazilian touring cars maybe

Edi96
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Edi96 » 08 Sep 2012, 04:48

my guess:
Hülkenberg > Mercedes
Sutil > Force India
Perez > Ferrari
Bianchi (Gutiérrez) > Sauber
Bottas > Williams
Alguersuari > Caterham
Massa, Petrov & Senna out of F1, Schumacher retires.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Sep 2012, 08:42

Robert Kubica has said his objective is an F1 2014 return

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 08 Sep 2012, 08:49

Good to hear, but how easily will he find a seat? Having missed three full seasons, he'll be almost 30, with no experience on Pirelli tyres, question marks over the extent of his recovery and a lot of people eager to secure a drive with the top teams.

Don't get me wrong, though, I want to see it happen!

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 08 Sep 2012, 08:52

That's the issue of course. I don't think a top team would take a gamble on him. But a lot can change by the 2014 season in terms of the driver market!

My only other question is why he's wearing a coat when all else are in short sleeves. Hiding his elbow again?

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 08 Sep 2012, 09:30

phil1993 wrote: Massa > Somewhere, Brazilian touring cars maybe
Despite his performances I think Ferrari still like Massa even though they're unsatisfied with him on track. He's been there so long and associated with the team for longer, they've been through so much together from nearly winning the championship to nearly dying. I wonder if they'll give him a drive in sports cars like Fisichella.