The future of Lewis Hamilton

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

The future of Lewis Hamilton

Post by JoostLamers » 21 Jul 2012, 13:29

The biggest name without a contract after this season, where will he go? What do you hope he does? And what do you think is the most logical move he can make after this season? He has said that he will use the summer break to evaluate his options and probably will decide what to do. Rumours of a move to Lotus, Mercedes, Ferrari and, until last week, Red Bull were all named as possible new employer of the 2008 World Champion. Personally, I think he will stay at McLaren, but I also hope he will drive his whole career for the Woking based squad.

What are your thoughts, and please share news about his future are as well.
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Re: The future of Lewis Hamilton

Post by tderias » 21 Jul 2012, 18:30

I'd love to see him partnering Fernando at Ferrari, but I don't think it will happen. He'll probably stay at McLaren.

KevC

Post by KevC » 21 Jul 2012, 19:18

I think he'll stay. There isn't anywhere else realistic to go.

Fernando won't let him go to Ferrari.
Red Bull will Keep Vettel.
Mercedes is worse.
Lotus are too hit and miss. Last year they were awful, this year they're good. At least McLaren has some high level consistency.

f1freak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by f1freak » 22 Jul 2012, 11:40

All the speculation is just for Hype. Lewis has no choice but to stay with McLaren.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 23 Jul 2012, 11:01

Been having a sort out and have found plenty of old motorsport magazines (including AUTOSPORT from the week Schumacher won his fifth title :)) but of particular interest given he's just contested his 100th Grand Prix is a small magazine included with F1 Racing in 2007 on Lewis Hamilton. Matt Bishop proclaims 'he may well be on the verge of a championship-winning spree that may eclipse even that of Michael Schumacher.'

He then goes on to say 'enjoy this special F1 Racing supplement, and keep it for ever. One day, many years from now, when Lewis has won dozens of grand prix and has become the most glittering gigastar our sport has ever known, it'll be a collectors' item. Make no mistake about that.'

So much hype and expectation, yet so far despite the success he has had it's not been matched. No one was banking on Vettel overtaking him as the young star so quickly. Funny to think when all this was being written Vettel was BMW's third driver yet to make his debut.

McLaren was one of the best two cars in 2007/08, regularly winning races and capable of winning championships. No one would have predicted in the years after that Honda (Brawn) and Red Bull would be winning the championships. With all this talk of Lewis' future and his natural desire for a car to enable him to win championships, it's very hard to know what will happen.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 23 Jul 2012, 13:47

donald29 wrote:Been having a sort out and have found plenty of old motorsport magazines (including AUTOSPORT from the week Schumacher won his fifth title :)) but of particular interest given he's just contested his 100th Grand Prix is a small magazine included with F1 Racing in 2007 on Lewis Hamilton. Matt Bishop proclaims 'he may well be on the verge of a championship-winning spree that may eclipse even that of Michael Schumacher.'

He then goes on to say 'enjoy this special F1 Racing supplement, and keep it for ever. One day, many years from now, when Lewis has won dozens of grand prix and has become the most glittering gigastar our sport has ever known, it'll be a collectors' item. Make no mistake about that.'

So much hype and expectation, yet so far despite the success he has had it's not been matched. No one was banking on Vettel overtaking him as the young star so quickly. Funny to think when all this was being written Vettel was BMW's third driver yet to make his debut.

McLaren was one of the best two cars in 2007/08, regularly winning races and capable of winning championships. No one would have predicted in the years after that Honda (Brawn) and Red Bull would be winning the championships. With all this talk of Lewis' future and his natural desire for a car to enable him to win championships, it's very hard to know what will happen.
To be honest, I have that pull out. And lewis really, has been.... well a let down really. I mean, hes still extremely lucky to win 2008. Thats the only year aside from 2007 he has truly challenged or led a world championship. Its quite hard to think that he is in his 6th season already. Doesnt seem so long ago since he was just starting out. But when you look.... I still firmly believe 2007 is Lewis best season.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 23 Jul 2012, 15:29

Absolutely. It's odd, he's never been able to recapture the consistency he had in 2007. It was his first 9 races on the podium I think, he made very few mistakes. Since then, even in 2008, he's not repeated it over a whole season. This year is the closest he's come to doing it, but McLaren have let him down at various points be it through errors or lack of pace.

dimitris
kart driver
kart driver

Post by dimitris » 23 Jul 2012, 15:36

With some huge technical changes coming I would if I were Lewis sign a short (2 year) deal with Mclaren and see how things pan out.

McLaren with their resources would be a safe bet to ride out the introduction of the new engines etc.

At the end of 2014 he will be better able to judge which teams if any have adapted to those changes better than Mclaren and make a decision

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 23 Jul 2012, 15:42

donald29 wrote:Absolutely. It's odd, he's never been able to recapture the consistency he had in 2007. It was his first 9 races on the podium I think, he made very few mistakes. Since then, even in 2008, he's not repeated it over a whole season. This year is the closest he's come to doing it, but McLaren have let him down at various points be it through errors or lack of pace.
I think that, but then i look back.... Kimi Massa and Alonso, each of them made a mistake at one point in each race, lewis kept out of trouble, whereas Massa, Alonso or Kimi had a problem or mistake. Full credit to lewis for not getting too far ahead of himself. Well....... his comments were! After the 9 races when Mclaren bought the rookie champion fantasy, Alonso outperformed Hamilton. but Kimi was the man that year. he really was mr consistent in 2007

But in 2008 lewis became fast but, well too aggressive. Too do or die and very, well never in the wrong. He got penalised too many times and all of them were his own fault.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 23 Jul 2012, 16:16

Raikkonen's second half of 2007 was as good as Lewis' first half. Incredible comeback.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 23 Jul 2012, 20:39

id argue about his second half matching Hamilton. Id say kimi was like that all season. 2 retirements non faults, 12 podiums. only a 5th 4th and 8th. so either scores or retires.

KevC

Post by KevC » 23 Jul 2012, 20:50

mikhailv wrote:
donald29 wrote:Absolutely. It's odd, he's never been able to recapture the consistency he had in 2007. It was his first 9 races on the podium I think, he made very few mistakes. Since then, even in 2008, he's not repeated it over a whole season. This year is the closest he's come to doing it, but McLaren have let him down at various points be it through errors or lack of pace.
I think that, but then i look back.... Kimi Massa and Alonso, each of them made a mistake at one point in each race, lewis kept out of trouble, whereas Massa, Alonso or Kimi had a problem or mistake. Full credit to lewis for not getting too far ahead of himself. Well....... his comments were! After the 9 races when Mclaren bought the rookie champion fantasy, Alonso outperformed Hamilton. but Kimi was the man that year. he really was mr consistent in 2007

But in 2008 lewis became fast but, well too aggressive. Too do or die and very, well never in the wrong. He got penalised too many times and all of them were his own fault.
You also have to remember that Red Bull are now in the mix so there's an extra 2 cars genuinely vying for podiums. Traditionally F1 seasons have usually only had 2 teams going head to head for the titles but now there are 3 and almost 4 going for each win which spreads the points out more thinly and the cars are all much closer in terms of speed.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 24 Jul 2012, 19:56

Kevin Clark wrote:I think he'll stay. There isn't anywhere else realistic to go.

Fernando won't let him go to Ferrari.
Red Bull will Keep Vettel.
Mercedes is worse.
Lotus are too hit and miss. Last year they were awful, this year they're good. At least McLaren has some high level consistency.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18542058

KevC

Post by KevC » 24 Jul 2012, 21:54

Don't believe it.
If he let them take on Hamilton I think he'd try and get him back for the favouritism when Alonso was at McLaren.

Ferrari92
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ferrari92 » 25 Jul 2012, 00:30

He'll definitely stay with McLaren