My pictures from the European Grand Prix 2012

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
TheViewer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

My pictures from the European Grand Prix 2012

Post by TheViewer » 01 Jul 2012, 14:17

I attended the European Grand Prix at Valencia last weekend and thought I'd share some of my photos with the forum. This was only the second Grand Prix I had been to (the first being Silverstone '07, see forum post viewtopic.php?f=100&t=3448), so my first race abroad. The race turned out to be stunning, so very atypical of all the previous races at the circuit. I went because I had the week off work booked already, and because I could get a low cost flight direct to Valencia, could stay in a hostel to save on money, could walk to the circuit, and wanted to see another Grand Prix in person. Eddie Jordan was on my flight, low cost Easyjet for him!

I had a three day pass for the M4 grandstand, which as you can see from the photos is near to the swing bridge, at the end of the first sector of the lap. I figured out that I would see more seconds of F1 cars there than at any other point, but was not optimistic of seeing much overtaking. However since I figured that there would be almost no overtaking anyway, it didn't matter where I chose. It turned out that a lot of the overtaking took place at the end of the DRS zone, where there were few seats anyway.

Pictures from Friday morning. The first is of GP3 practice, followed by FP1 of F1 and then practice of GP2.

The next photos are from FP2. I moved to the front row of the grandstand. I think this is where street racing is at it's best, because I was so close to the cars.

Now from Saturday:

Now Sunday's race. One thing that was not captured on TV was that a piece of wing from Bruno Senna's car flew into our grandstand when he collided with a Sauber, landing about 15 seats up from me but in my row! It was a very scary incident, but nobody was seriously hurt. The attention of everyone was looking towards the person who was hit, but not at the track during this time. When the safety car came out I took some photos, but when green my focus was on the race. The crowd went crazy when Alonso won, it was incredible!

After the race there was no more track activity. I walked around the edge of the track, and then came to the car park for the paddock where a group of people were waiting. I did not have a pen for autographs, but got some good photos. Ma Qing Hua, Bianchi, Pic, Vettel and Senna stopped for autographs, some of the drivers did not stop, and some disappeared almost unnoticed (I saw Petrov and shouted his name, but nobody else seemed to notice him!)

Ma Qing Hua

Jules Bianchi

Sky Sports F1

Fans for Kamui

Charles Pic

Heikki Kovalainen

Michael Schumacher

Sebastian Vettel

Paddock on the move

Spanish TV host

Felipe Massa

Bruno Senna

Pastor Maldonado

Mark Webber

Having flown all the way to Valencia, I booked to stay a little longer than most and took the opportunity to explore the city on Monday. However I walked back to the circuit along the dried up river bed, and had a really interesting walk. Not so many people were about, and there were still lots of marbles in the braking zones which I collected as a souvenir.

Pirelli advertising hoarding was ripped off the barriers here, because it was originally attached on the join of barriers from swing bridge and dry land.

Not sure what was happening here, but I suspect a continuation of the 'No to F1' protest.

Where the land meets the swing bridge:

It was nothing short of a phenomenal 4 days in Valencia, and I am sad that it looks like F1 will not be returning there next year.

If you have any questions or comments about the time there, feel free to ask!

ourafilmes
kart driver
kart driver

Re: My pictures from the European Grand Prix 2012

Post by ourafilmes » 01 Jul 2012, 14:44

Very nice report. That´s not my favorite F1 circuit but it is a nice place to be at a race. Always nice weather too!

This pic looks like an old iron market converted to F1 boxes. Perfect touch! Old and new!

TheViewer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by TheViewer » 01 Jul 2012, 15:53

Thanks!
ourafilmes wrote: Image
This pic looks like an old iron market converted to F1 boxes. Perfect touch! Old and new!
You can see the names of the drivers on the garages with one exception - someone took the Alonso board!

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 02 Jul 2012, 06:42

Wow! this is great.

But why you went to Valencia in the first place? you were lucky by that race :)

Are you going to Silverstone this week?

Ferrari92
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Ferrari92 » 02 Jul 2012, 13:35

Thanks for sharing

TheViewer
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by TheViewer » 02 Jul 2012, 17:14

iceman1 wrote:Wow! this is great.

But why you went to Valencia in the first place? you were lucky by that race :)

Are you going to Silverstone this week?
Quite a few different things lead me to Valencia!
1. Since my first GP 5 years ago I attended university and now have a job. So I could finally afford to attend a race.
2. I had booked two weeks holiday the weeks before and after the race a few months before. Originally I planned to travel for 2 weeks, but then a family event occurred which made this impossible. I had to change my plans.
3. I thought 'what could I do?' And then I thought about F1. The day later I booked. It was nothing special about Valencia, it just happened to fall on the weekend when I was free.

I think the best thing about the race is that it was in a city. I can't drive which makes it hard to attend other races, and expensive if going with a package. Also I quite like doing things myself rather than having paying someone to create an inclusive package. I stayed in a hostel which was €36 a night (much cheaper than a hotel, and more fun too with other race fans) and Easyjet fly direct into Valencia from London Gatwick, that was about €140. It was possible to get the metro to the circuit early to see the first practices, and I could stay as long as I liked and see all the support races, or wait around for the drivers like I did on Sunday. It was a great opportunity to attend my second GP.

I hope it won't take 5 years before going to my next race, but nothing yet is planned. For sure I would go back to Valencia again so it is a shame that F1 may not be going back in 2013. I think it is also time to learn to drive a car myself!

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 03 Jul 2012, 19:53

That's cheap compared to other places. As an example I went to Bahrain the flight was for $600 and the hotel was really expensive. Same for Abu Dhabi I paid like $750 for 4 nights only in 2010.

I hope you can make it to more races in the future. Please don't let Massa teach how to drive :p

Good Luck for the future! you've been a member since 5 years. Nice. Good to see you with us again :)

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 03 Jul 2012, 19:56

Lovely pictures
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Petar
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Petar » 11 Jul 2012, 18:49