2012 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Re: 2012 Formula One Discussion

Post by phil1993 » 29 May 2012, 08:52

donald29 wrote:Red Bull have made it quite clear they do not think he is good enough to race for Red Bull Racing, is it an awkward feeling to be working for them as third driver when they have this view and is he looking for drives elsewhere?
Sebastien Buemi wrote:They wouldn’t want me if I was not part of the future. I am only 23.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 29 May 2012, 09:56

There's been another earthquake in Northern Italy. Fernando Alonso has tweeted Ferrari have decided to shut their factory for the day.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 29 May 2012, 10:56

phil1993 wrote:
donald29 wrote:Red Bull have made it quite clear they do not think he is good enough to race for Red Bull Racing, is it an awkward feeling to be working for them as third driver when they have this view and is he looking for drives elsewhere?
Sebastien Buemi wrote:They wouldn’t want me if I was not part of the future. I am only 23.
He may be part of the Redbull future, but not F1.

Otherwise, why are they doing try outs for Vergne and Ricciardo? Buemi is just like Klien, Speed, Bourdais, Liuzzi and Alguesari.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 29 May 2012, 11:03

phil1993 wrote:
Had forgotten about this. :p Cheers for asking. :)

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 29 May 2012, 11:10

http://www.ts.fi/moottoriurheilu/f1/351 ... +Alonsolle (in Finnish)
Kovalainen predicts championship to Alonso
F1 | Turun Sanomat 10:40

Already in the winter tests, all experienced Mercedes tactician Ross Brawn predicted that there may be coming the most intriguing championship battle in the history of Formula 1. Most recently in 2009 by his own team the titles overwhelmingly won Brawn looks once again hitting the bull's eye.

The whole F1 sport has gained a whole new look, when winning has become so open and the top is invaded every time by a different driver. Solely, the importance of winning may have been impaired, when the most important factor to success has become the driver's constant level of performance to snip points every time.

Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton are the only two who have been on points in all six races. When Alonso has a win from Malaysia, and Hamilton has not yet won, Ferrari's Spanish driver now leads the series, and McLaren's more bungled British is 13 points behind at fourth.

Six drivers inside one victory, or in other words inside 25 points, when Lotus' Kimi Raikkonen fell to sixth place in Monaco and needs just as much as Hamilton the so important victory into his score book.

There are still more championship candidates than ever at this stage, when the third of the season is over.

Alonso can handle all situations

Caterham's Heikki Kovalainen came boldly up at the evening of Monaco GP and presented a well reasoned championship prediction.

- Alonso leads... Yes, he will take the championship this year. Whenever there are are special situations or weather conditions, there is always one common variable: Alonso is always in it at the front. He just pushes himself to there, Kovalainen thinks.

Tyre side is more like reading gibberish even to top drivers.

- I think nobody has a clear picture. A good example is Monaco. McLaren has usually been the ruler of Monaco, but was now just mediocre, and Jenson Button could not pass us. If tyres stop working, everyone is against the wall. There is nothing we can do about it, Kovalainen explained.

Only nine successful overtaking was seen on the track in Monace race. The average thereby collapsed at once. The last time there was less than ten overtakings was in Japan 2010, when there was seven. A year ago, 16 overtakings was seen in Monaco.

Smoothness is the key

Ferrari team boss Stefano Domenicali pushes everyone in the team to ensure the continuity of the reliability.

- Our most dangerous opponent at this point would be zero points in any race. In Monaco we could have won by taking the risk, if Alonso had been driving on super soft tyres 2-3 laps longer. But who could have said, what kind of lap times we could had got anymore with those tyres. I am absolutely convinced that we made tactically the right decision and we are pleased with the result.

- Smoothness is the key factor in championship battle, Domenicali pointed out once again.

Lotus swallowed up the team's worst result in the season in Enstone team's 500th celibration race. Kimi Raikkonen was ninth. From the point of view of championship battle Finnish driver, however, saw the positive side of two points.

- We did not achieve what we had hoped, but if our bad weekend is like this and we still get two points, that's not the end of the world. Again, these points can make a big difference at the end of the season, Raikkonen lined it up.

Turun Sanomat, Monte Carlo
HEIKKI KULTA

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 29 May 2012, 13:15

Alguersuari is wrong. Year ago Montreal was cold and windy. Most likely the temp stays below 25C this year too. Lotus must quickly learn to pull a rabbit out of the wizards hat if they are going to succeed on super softs and soft tyres in Montreal. Softs and mediums would be better for Lotus, but there is no such option. If it would be a full wet race then maybe.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 29 May 2012, 20:48

If Alonso wins this years championship, everyone who said I was a stark raving lunatic must eat their microphone sponges and/or ALONS0 keys from their keyboards.

In all seriousness I was thinking about this tyres mixing it up palava and 6 winners in 6 races. Well, if we think, we've had 2 red bull wins, a Ferrari, a Mclaren, a Mercedes and a Williams. If you take the williams out, the top 4 teams have all won the races. Thats what we thought would happen last year. In fact, last year there was 5 winners right, well we've only gone one more than that this year, and to be honest there is only lewis left to win a race, Lotus wont win. Neither will Massa or Schumacher.

So its not unpredictable in all honesty. The top teams, have each won a race with Williams making a fluke win which wont be repeated. Its still Alonso, Webber, Vettel, Hamilton and Button at the top of the standings. Like last year. Its not unpredictable at all. Redbull doesnt have dominance, so we're seeing other teams winning.

In a ways, its like 2009. After brawns dominance, you didnt know if Button/barrichello would win, if Vettel/webber would win, or if Lewis or Kimi would win, because at certain tracks Mclaren and Ferrari were much much better, Redbull were better at some tracks, and then Brawns would come into their own. So that year we still had the top 4 teams winning a race at least and 6 different winners.

its like monaco 2011, that couldve been Ferrari. Spain 2011 couldve been Mclaren. Thats two further wins to take from Red Bull last year for example. Its not a mixed up year at all, the top teams are at the top like usual, closer together, and whoever can do the best job in the race reaps the rewards.

Wet races always throw up surprise winners or podiums. 2008 with barrichello's podium in the RA108 at Silverstone, 2006 with button winning hungary, Panis in Monaco. I think alot of people are truly over reacting and blaming Pirelli.

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 29 May 2012, 21:00

mikhailv wrote:If Alonso wins this years championship, everyone who said I was a stark raving lunatic must eat their microphone sponges and/or ALONS0 keys from their keyboards.

In all seriousness I was thinking about this tyres mixing it up palava and 6 winners in 6 races. Well, if we think, we've had 2 red bull wins, a Ferrari, a Mclaren, a Mercedes and a Williams. If you take the williams out, the top 4 teams have all won the races. Thats what we thought would happen last year. In fact, last year there was 5 winners right, well we've only gone one more than that this year, and to be honest there is only lewis left to win a race, Lotus wont win. Neither will Massa or Schumacher.

So its not unpredictable in all honesty. The top teams, have each won a race with Williams making a fluke win which wont be repeated. Its still Alonso, Webber, Vettel, Hamilton and Button at the top of the standings. Like last year. Its not unpredictable at all. Redbull doesnt have dominance, so we're seeing other teams winning.

In a ways, its like 2009. After brawns dominance, you didnt know if Button/barrichello would win, if Vettel/webber would win, or if Lewis or Kimi would win, because at certain tracks Mclaren and Ferrari were much much better, Redbull were better at some tracks, and then Brawns would come into their own. So that year we still had the top 4 teams winning a race at least and 6 different winners.

its like monaco 2011, that couldve been Ferrari. Spain 2011 couldve been Mclaren. Thats two further wins to take from Red Bull last year for example. Its not a mixed up year at all, the top teams are at the top like usual, closer together, and whoever can do the best job in the race reaps the rewards.

Wet races always throw up surprise winners or podiums. 2008 with barrichello's podium in the RA108 at Silverstone, 2006 with button winning hungary, Panis in Monaco. I think alot of people are truly over reacting and blaming Pirelli.

Your ability to articulate the big picture is really cool! :thumbsup:

In all, we don't have that much of a different situation than last year I agree, it's just the way it's happened in the first 6 races of the season that's got everyone in a tizzy. I think now we'll start to see some consistency with maybe another Mercedes win or a fluke for Lotus in there somewhere. From here on out, it's Red Bull v. McLaren as far as I can see.
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 29 May 2012, 21:16

Thanks for the kind comment!

I think Ferrari will be up there. They are bringing DDRS, revision to the floor and Exhausts I think ontop of usual Canada specs. I think I posted somewhere else that the RB8 is almost evolved to its maximum with DD and then EBD gone, their aces in the whole are gone. Mclaren started superb, but the low chassis and nose is restricting them. They cant use airflow as efficient under and around the monacoque can they? Or at least utilise and guide the flow around hence their whats it called mounted infront of the windscreen restricted vision. Sitting too low.

That and Ferrari are the only team to improve so well this year.

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by François » 30 May 2012, 06:20

There's a nice feature on F1Rejects about Maldonado's first taste of F1-machinery and days (somewhat) long gone by. :thumbsup:

http://www.f1rejects.com/centrale/minar ... index.html

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 30 May 2012, 07:38

mikhailv wrote:If Alonso wins this years championship, everyone who said I was a stark raving lunatic must eat their microphone sponges and/or ALONS0 keys from their keyboards.

In all seriousness I was thinking about this tyres mixing it up palava and 6 winners in 6 races. Well, if we think, we've had 2 red bull wins, a Ferrari, a Mclaren, a Mercedes and a Williams. If you take the williams out, the top 4 teams have all won the races. Thats what we thought would happen last year. In fact, last year there was 5 winners right, well we've only gone one more than that this year, and to be honest there is only lewis left to win a race, Lotus wont win. Neither will Massa or Schumacher...
:lol: You sure meet strange people. Do people really have microphone sponges; weird keyboards ''hmm'' Can't you be stark raving lunatic even if Alonso wins WDC or are you planning to eat something if Kimi, Romain, Felipe or Michael gets a race win :p I wouldn't be surprised if Romain wins a race when everything drops in place IMHO. Even if he is still young and sort of half rookie, I don't think he needs to wait seven years before first win and it might as well be this year.

But you are right, even in this years "huge" unpredictability the top ones comes through anyway. Tyres are same for everyone and doesn't seem to work optimally for anyone. Teams are more even this year than last year - which I think is good. Tyres have added some uncertainty to races but at the second half of the season teams and drivers who have learned them will succeed. Anyway I expect this year to bring up drivers talent more than last year.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 30 May 2012, 08:03

Lotus will win a race. If Kimi wasn't a bit race rusty I think he would have stuck one up the inside of Seb in Bahrain. There's fourteen chances still.

Suomileijona
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Suomileijona » 30 May 2012, 09:22

phil1993 wrote:Lotus will win a race. If Kimi wasn't a bit race rusty I think he would have stuck one up the inside of Seb in Bahrain. There's fourteen chances still.
Thank you very much, Phil! :) :hug: I'm so fed up with these Lotus/Kimi bashers! :<>: :( They make the aptmosphere here very unpleasant! :<>:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 30 May 2012, 09:24

I think that an idea might be to focus on improving their strategies a bit, they've been poor, plus get a spotter for Grosjean at the start :lol:

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 May 2012, 11:28

Suomileijona wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Lotus will win a race. If Kimi wasn't a bit race rusty I think he would have stuck one up the inside of Seb in Bahrain. There's fourteen chances still.
Thank you very much, Phil! :) :hug: I'm so fed up with these Lotus/Kimi bashers! :<>: :( They make the aptmosphere here very unpleasant! :<>:
The atmosphere isn't unpleasent because of a negative opinion. Over reacting or what? What about when you goto the WRC thread and say kimi was doing poor and having 10 super fans try and murder you because of their precious obsession with Kimi?

anyway, its not bashing, its factual slating. Kimi hasn't done nothing wrong this year driving wise. Maybe he shouldve kept going on the inside of Vettel, he left him room, but thats to be expected when he is rusty and his only mistake if you could even call it that. I maintain my opinion that Kimi will scarcely win in Lotus, and will never take another championship again if he stays there because the team is totally incapable. Arguably, they had one of the best cars this season and have performed miserably with strategy and Grosjean becoming Takuma Sato's cousin twice removed.

Lotus are a joke. They arent even Lotus anymore anyway. Boullier is a terrible team principle. They cant do pit stops fast, they cant do strategy at all, grosjean keeps crashing, Kimi keeps going backwards because the car is too finicky with its tyres, or they leave him out to long. Lotus are getting irritable because Kimi is still not happy with power steering,Its just facts. If your gonna cry because someone is slagging the team and/or Kimi off, what about when you slag someone elses driver off? Dont go whinging. Its just opinion, and if theyve been c**p, they've been c**p. Or when someone slags alonso for 2007 because he was a mardy idiot, or hamilton for his termination of massa, or jenson not overtaking a caterham, or vettel, or webber. So what? Its an opinion. If you dont like people with a negative opinion of your driver goto a fan site of Kimi/Lotus, its the only way you would never get it.

Lotus wont win a race this year. Rosberg, Redbull, Hamilton and Alonso must all have a bad race or crash out. That will not happen. Lotus dont have strategy, from the past 2 years, they dont even have the development rate or ability to develop. They lost key members of staff to other teams, on top of the joke which is Boullier slagging off the previous management of Flavio/Pat and Alonso.

Anyway, I was a massive fan of Renault from 2002, and im still a fan of Flavio and the way he ran that team to critical success and made decisions. Lotus are a poorly ran team, especially when the said man who is the team principle blamed a driver for his KERS/Raditor exploding, and replaced the driver with more points and skill (heidfeld) because he needed the poor paydriver along with requesting an advance so they can keep developing. Theres also a reason Renault jumped ship to make Redbull their sort of Manufacturer.