Pirelli, KERS and DRS

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Pirelli, KERS and DRS

Post by phil1993 » 19 May 2012, 16:49

The new style racing made its début in 2011. So what do we make of Pirelli, KERS and DRS respectively? What would you change, if anything?

KevC

Re: Pirelli, KERS and DRS

Post by KevC » 19 May 2012, 17:34

I like it.

Too many races before then were dreadfully processional. Although KERS and DRS are considered 'artificial' they're not really much different to turbo boost buttons in the 80s and the ability to turn up engine maps in the 90s. They're just a bit more visible. In reality they haven't accounted for as many passes as a lot of people think. Also this is only the second season for DRS and the zones are still being adjusted to make the passes possible but more difficult so I think it still needs time to develop. The main advantage of DRS though is that it allows the following car to stay with the leading car. In the pre-DRS days the front car would get on the power first and be far enough ahead in the first 3 seconds of the straight to be comfortably in front still by the end. Now the following car has a speed advantage allowing it to stay in touch and keep the racing excitement going.

KERS could probably do with either more bhp or more time but it seems fine as a feature.

The tyres are delivering exactly what Pirelli were asked to do. However I think I'd like to see them have a bigger time difference and maybe a minimum number of laps to avoid people pitting on the last lap just to get the other compound used. I also think they could do with an extra new set or two for the race. Q3 is occasionally farcical with teams happy to start in 9th but save a set of tyres by not running.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 19 May 2012, 18:05

Aerodynamics have changed so much in F1 that DRS and KERS are good for spectarors. In 70's and 80's it was good to get as close as possible to the car ahead to be able to use the suction on straights to have some extra speed for passing. When aerodynamics developed getting too close in corners could cause downforce to drop at front and lost of car control. So DRS and KERS are good since they are controlled by driver. On the other hand Pirellis are controlled by nobody, or maybe by temperature, climate change and tarot cards or something.

mileso
Donator
Donator

Post by mileso » 22 May 2012, 02:41

I think the biggest change to affect the 2012 season has been the rules on exhaust gas usage. DRS and KERS has actually been responsible for a huge increase in the number of overtakes compared to previous seasons. Getting around the back markers has not been the big issue of past years because of DRS.
I noticed too that many cars are now using pull rods instead of push rods but have not seen any articles on whether this has been a benefit or not. Also not a lot of noise about the double DRS of Mercedes?

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 22 May 2012, 07:33

Pat Symonds raised an interesting point in this month's F1 Racing and it is to do with the banning of the EBD.

He said that in 2011, you had those who had the EBD and those who didn't. Then within those who had the EBD, you had varying levels of teams who could get it to work, thus creating large gaps. This year, everyone has been neutralised.

F1Fan88
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by F1Fan88 » 22 May 2012, 15:27

With the new tyres I don’t think we need DRS. Yes some races might be more boring, but so what? Boring and static F1 races are nothing new and I think the tyres give us enough fun for the calender to still be exciting, and pure. But if we were to use DRS I think they should use their imagination.

They shouldn’t use it to make certain corners that are prime overtaking zones in the first place into an overtaking bloodbath, I think they should try to create new overtaking zones. Corners where it usually isn’t possible but with a little straight leading up to it. That would make overtaking with the DRS hard, and possibly allow the duels to last for longer and keep the cars closer. In Melbourne there were only few DRS passes, but it kept the cars neck and neck for several laps and I think that is what DRS should do.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 23 May 2012, 15:14

Would love to see this happen, Pirelli doesn't mind it:

http://www.planetf1.com/driver/18227/77 ... ly-changes

KevC

Post by KevC » 23 May 2012, 15:20

Surely a simpler thing is just to tell the teams they must put in a competitive time in Q3 or they have a 10 spot grid penalty.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 23 May 2012, 15:46

An even simpler thing would be to give all Q3 runners an extra set of options that can be used only in Q3.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 23 May 2012, 16:14

phil1993 wrote:An even simpler thing would be to give all Q3 runners an extra set of options that can be used only in Q3.
That would work. Teams getting into Q3 could afford extra set(s) of tyres and also letting teams freely choose the tyres they start the race would no longer cause speculation if they should or not try their best in Q3. The change doesn't need any new design and is easy to implement even immediately after Monaco.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 03 Jun 2012, 15:56

Pirelli, KERS and DRS have all added a new and much-needed element of challenge to races, and has improved races from an entertainment standpoint. There are some issues with all three though, however, these will be fixed over time and thus are not that much of a problem.