Alonso's move in the pitstops in Q3

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

do you believe alonso deserved to be punished?

Poll ended at 07 Aug 2007, 18:23

yes
54%
no
46%
unsure
No votes

Total votes: 24

martinez
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Alonso's move in the pitstops in Q3

Post by martinez » 04 Aug 2007, 18:15

what do u think of alonso's behaviour during the pitstops when he clearly held up hamilton and disallowed hamilton to go for another flying lap :huh: ''hmm''
Martinez 10

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Alonso's move in the pitstops in Q3

Post by maltafan » 04 Aug 2007, 18:32

No, I don't think he should
Reason - read the article hereunder

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61368

Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 04 Aug 2007, 19:46

Course not... Hamilton disobeyed McLaren orders to let Alonso through and in some interview someone pulled out on another forum he ADMITTED not letting Alonso through because it was better for him to stay infront... So what Alonso then paid him back by holding him up in the pitt lane... If Hammy wants to play dirty then so will Alonso and I'm all for it !grin! !yahoo: ...

dacer
Donator
Donator

Post by dacer » 04 Aug 2007, 19:51

hi, I think nobody know the truth but, spanish press said (before incident) that mclaren gives to one pilot, one more lap (only on circuits with lap time under 1'25) on q3. That's give one more lap of fuel for race.

Now (this race) was time for alonso, but hammilton was not agree. Hammilton don't stop to pit on the lap that he must do, so alonso have to pit one lap before mclaren was say.

that's make "mclaren-timetable" was broken, so they have to stop alonso on pit.

Sorry my poor english, I hope anyone know more about this.

Bye

theatrx
kart driver
kart driver

Post by theatrx » 04 Aug 2007, 22:30

Hamilton was in the wrong, said Ron. But then news started popping up that Alonso's little pit trick there got him penalized and will be starting from the 6th grid.

Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 04 Aug 2007, 22:36

Doesn't matter what Alonso's penalty is, if it is true that Hamilton didn't let Alonso through (and if Ron says it is then I don't see any reason to disagree) then I think Alonso has b*** to sit there and block him !grin! I don't care about the Maccas but I have respect for Alonso for dishing out his own punishement to Hammy :@:2 ... BUT as everyone knows already I really REALLY dislike Hammy anyways !grin! :p so I'm probably too biased on the matter !grin! ...

HamiltonF1
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by HamiltonF1 » 04 Aug 2007, 23:03

Yes what Alonso did was just weak this prooves he can't get the pole unless he stops hamilton cuz of this sort of actions I mean you are a team if your team mate is faster than try the get faster on the track not slow him down in the pits.

I also can't believe how hamilton was being so relaxed I would totally freak out.

ntr
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by ntr » 04 Aug 2007, 23:12

HamiltonF1 wrote:Yes what Alonso did was just weak this prooves he can't get the pole unless he stops hamilton cuz of this sort of actions I mean you are a team if your team mate is faster than try the get faster on the track not slow him down in the pits.

I also can't believe how hamilton was being so relaxed I would totally freak out.
and what about hamilton? he is too selfish to let alonso have his turn at the front, this race it was alonso's turn to have the extra lap but lewis wouldn't have it? ron should have put him into a lower team until he respects the team's decisions...
mm tofu

redtop22
car driver
car driver

Post by redtop22 » 04 Aug 2007, 23:18

I can see why Alonso did what he did, but he chose to mess with Hamilton at the worst possible time...in the pits. He should have thought about how it would look before he pulled that stunt as its now backfired in his face and Lewis regained poll. I think he should have just sucked it up and settled for 2nd on the grid instead.

redtop22
car driver
car driver

Post by redtop22 » 04 Aug 2007, 23:26

McLaren is appealing the stewards decision and going to go to the FIA international court of appeal.

Who knew so much legal battling could take place in motorsport in one year!

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 05 Aug 2007, 00:43

redtop22 wrote:McLaren is appealing the stewards decision and going to go to the FIA international court of appeal.

Who knew so much legal battling could take place in motorsport in one year!
Indeed and McLaren are in the middle of all of it.

The following link explains it all http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61373

Hamilton may have disobeyed team orders but blocking his pole lap was in another league alltogether. It was gamesmanship and the situation was made worse by the flimsy cover up attempt by McLaren. Nobody was fooled except McLaren fans.

Ciao Bob

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 05 Aug 2007, 02:08

martinez wrote:what do u think of alonso's behaviour during the pitstops when he clearly held up hamilton and disallowed hamilton to go for another flying lap :huh: ''hmm''
I'm not surprised because all the great champions have their flaws and it revolves around their mindset.

I have a theory on this mindset and its as follows.

First of all is a win at all costs determination which drives every fibre of their being.

Secondly a true champion must be able to assimulate information and make instant decisions with the knowledge and supreme confidence that it is the optimum one. In 99.99999% of cases this mindset delivers victories and championships.

In .000001% of situations when desperation is added this mindset becomes flawed and with that same supreme confidence it does something stupid. It is never premeditated and we shouldnt condemn them for these lapses, in Shumacher's case it ammounted to a couple of laps amongst hundreds of sublimely magnificent on the limit examples of how it should be done, they are only human after all.

We can be disappointed but surely the amount of pleasure they give more than compensates for these lapses.

Displaying these traits simply shows that Alonso is a true champion because he takes himself beyond his limits like Schumacher and Senna did.
^cool^
Ciao Bob

WDC
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by WDC » 05 Aug 2007, 04:51

wow, this changes my oppinion dramatically!
i orrigionally thought that alonso just did the deed on purpose.
hmm, still... i think its more than just a coincidence that hamilton was held up for just enough time that made him miss out on his final flying lap!
and another thing, alonso's penalty was only down to p5? isnt the 'qualyfing hold up rule' fastest 3 times cancelled or something like that which means that you would be dropped down to p10?
Thankyou Schumi you will always have a place in our hearts!
Michael Schumacher- 7 volte Campione del mondo!
SIMPLY THE BEST

reyhan
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by reyhan » 05 Aug 2007, 10:43

Hmm, reminds me on Schumi's dirty tricks... ''hmm''
BMW Power

dazmoffman
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by dazmoffman » 05 Aug 2007, 17:15

Alonso did deserve to be punished, he was unsportsman he intentionally succeded in ruining another racers chances of taking pole, i would of had more respect for him if he would of stalled the car the apex of either turn 13 or 14 and tried to convince himself that it was an accident.