2012 Formula One Discussion

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: 2012 Formula One Discussion

Post by reppo » 05 May 2012, 18:53

So:
http://www.lotusf1team.com/James-Alliso ... es-to.html
CAN WE EXPECT TO SEE ANY FURTHER UPGRADES TO THE E20 IN THE UPCOMING RACES AS A RESULT?
Barcelona will see the first tranche of Windshear upgrades, accompanied by a selection of new parts stemming from our normal tunnel development programme. The package will include revised versions of the front and rear drums, the front wing and the floor. None of these parts were used in Mugello.
Some results should show. Windshear wind tunnel is amazing:
Uploaded by bcampbellstudio on Sep 30, 2010
Was fortunate to have worked with Jerry Wilson of 4th Street Productions in Atlanta. Great three days of shooting and collaboration. Windshear's 180-mph rolling-road wind tunnel is the first of its kind in North America, and only the third rolling road wind tunnel of its scale in existence. More importantly, it is the world's first commercially available, full-scale, rolling-road wind tunnel of its type. http://www.windshearinc.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxT3j_3CpcQ

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 05 May 2012, 19:07

Meanwhile, in Italy

Zack
Co-Admin
Co-Admin

Post by Zack » 05 May 2012, 19:39

reppo wrote:So:
http://www.lotusf1team.com/James-Alliso ... es-to.html
CAN WE EXPECT TO SEE ANY FURTHER UPGRADES TO THE E20 IN THE UPCOMING RACES AS A RESULT?
Barcelona will see the first tranche of http://f1arab.com/statsapp/widget_f1.htmlupgrades, accompanied by a selection of new parts stemming from our normal tunnel development programme. The package will include revised versions of the front and rear drums, the front wing and the floor. None of these parts were used in Mugello.
Some results should show. Windshear wind tunnel is amazing:
Uploaded by bcampbellstudio on Sep 30, 2010
Was fortunate to have worked with Jerry Wilson of 4th Street Productions in Atlanta. Great three days of shooting and collaboration. Windshear's 180-mph rolling-road wind tunnel is the first of its kind in North America, and only the third rolling road wind tunnel of its scale in existence. More importantly, it is the world's first commercially available, full-scale, rolling-road wind tunnel of its type. http://www.windshearinc.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxT3j_3CpcQ
iirc, F1 regulations doesn't allow you run more than 180 km/h (~110mph) in wind tunnels. Also thr are Model ratio restriction (60% scale ?).

Nevertheless, Windshear has kewl technology :thumbsup:

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 05 May 2012, 20:11

Zack wrote:iirc, F1 regulations doesn't allow you run more than 180 km/h (~110mph) in wind tunnels. Also thr are Model ratio restriction (60% scale ?).

Nevertheless, Windshear has kewl technology :thumbsup:
Lotus changed four days straight line testing to one day in 100% wind tunnel test. Don't know about the speed limit, but maybe there was somebody from FIA checking what they were doing.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 06 May 2012, 17:44

phil1993 wrote:Meanwhile, in Italy

He was preparing his tyres for next week's test :::

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99406

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 06 May 2012, 18:25

Sometimes Atlas photoshops have brilliant humour

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 06 May 2012, 18:29

Now, what does this mean ''hmm''
http://www.f1zone.net/news/new-boss-say ... one/13803/
Brabeck-Letmathe confirmed that Bernie Ecclestone, 82, is remaining F1′s chief executive.

“We certainly hope that Bernie stays healthy for a long time and can keep on working,” he said.

“I am already impressed with his performance. But of course it is the task of a supervisory board to ensure the succession of a business.

“At Nestle, I have always ensured that everyone can be replaced from the executive board within 24 hours. So we need to think about how to replace Bernie Ecclestone as well.”
Dream on Peter. Nobody replaces Bernie, ever :blink:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 06 May 2012, 18:44

phil1993 wrote:Sometimes Atlas photoshops have brilliant humour
It looks real to me. Good job. I would like to see the cucumber on Vettel's car :lol:

@reppo: Did you see Bernie's documentary? You can find it here. I really enjoyed it.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 06 May 2012, 18:54

Thanks iceman :thumbsup: Have to watch it later when I have more time. Clicked some wrong button in the download link and ended up doing a IQ test or something :lol:

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 06 May 2012, 19:54

Maldonado visited the Ducati team today and spent his time with Valentino Rossi. He went there because a biker, but he's not allowed to drive a bike anymore :lol:

Williams wants to play it safe.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 06 May 2012, 20:51

It's natural for the team to want to protect its main source of income. :p

majidasadi
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by majidasadi » 07 May 2012, 08:51

engineers in the team have pointed out that Massa’s data matches his driving in 2008, when he was winning races.
couple of weeks ago i was watching 2008 Chinese Grandprix and there was a shot of Felipe's eyes before the start of the race, what i saw in his eyes was an ordinary man under huge amount of pressure, a man who was not sure whether he can resist the pressure or not...after his painful victory in Brazil i saw him crying, which i think was indicative of his collapse...then 2009 and a car which wasn't good enough, then the crash in Hungary...and after that his misforunes started. I don't know but i think he is not confident enough that what he is doing right now- continuing driving an F1 car-is correct or not, and he is a little bit lost i suppose.. it's pretty obvious that next season he won't be in Ferrari, but i don't like to see him driving HRT or something...his career shows us how a man can tear apart
A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 May 2012, 09:18

I felt it was time to write a non-GP specific feature
http://www.f1zone.net/news/glock-underr ... ack/13816/

----

Meanwhile, Eric Bouiller told Autosport that holding the young driver test in the Summer is 'nonsense'
"It's a bit disappointing, to be honest," Boullier told AUTOSPORT. "I am a supporter of young drivers, and for me Abu Dhabi [in November] was the perfect scenario.

"The young kids finish the season, and you can organise this test in a hot, nice place, with nice variety. So I was actually a bit cross with the decision to bring it earlier to Silverstone.

"We had a strong discussion, let's say, and definitely I was against this, especially for the reasons raised. For me it is absolutely a nonsense to have a young driver test in July when all the young kids are in the middle of the season and focused on racing and the championship. We cannot disturb this. It is completely the wrong timing.

"You also have another issue: bringing this test in the middle of the season you have to consider there will be a different point of view for the team; and as a team it's another opportunity to develop the car and bring some parts to test."

"Between choosing to go to Abu Dhabi for young drivers, which is very important for me, and Silverstone, I obviously have to choose what it best for the team and that is Silverstone.

"But actually I would like it to rain, so we will go back to the original schedule - which for me is the normal one."

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 07 May 2012, 10:32

Pardon my french phil,but Boullier is a tw*t. He always has been. He moans about this, moans about that, we shouldnt do this, we shouldnt do that. And then goes and does opposite to what he says.

Regarding Mercedes' quit threat; good. Let them quit. I wouldn't miss them. A while ago we agreed Phil that Mercedes hasn't done anything for F1. They were only in the F1 world championship in 1954 and pulled out in 1955.

As an engine supplier they only returned in 1994 with Sauber, and then to Mclaren in 1995-present. They have took 89 wins, 79 of those as an engine supplier. They havn't deserved anything at all. Theyve brought nothing to F1.

To me, Ferrari who has taken 217 victories/15 WDC/16 WCC, Mclaren who has 176 victories/ 12 WDC/ 8 WCC, Renault who has 143 wins with 108 as an engine supplier/ 10 WCC/ 10 WDC.

So really, it should go; Ferrari get most, Renault 2nd and Mclaren 3rd. Mercedes nor RedBull deserve a single penny. They haven't done a single thing for F1.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 07 May 2012, 11:40

I'd refute Red Bull. They're double world champions and have attracted a lot of new fans to the sport. They may still be a drinks brand, but they're Stewart/JagRac and they're one of the most successful teams now. 30 wins I think, or something around that figure.

But for me, it'd be Ferrari, McLaren and Williams if we talk about history. Even so, Mercedes may be fairly new, but they're the same 'team' as Tyrrell.