Kimi Raikkonen returns to F1 with Lotus F1 Team

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Suomileijona
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Kimi Raikkonen returns to F1 with Lotus Renault GP

Post by Suomileijona » 05 Apr 2012, 09:42

Unfortunately our Leijonat = Lions (Ice Hockey Team) lost the match... :( They will have another math with Team Swtizerland tomorrow. Go, go Leijonat!! :)

f194girl
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by f194girl » 05 Apr 2012, 11:55

Kimi is travelling a lot: Beirut, Switzerland, Enstone...
He looks pretty good in the picture from his visit at the hockey training.

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 05 Apr 2012, 13:14

Kimi :lol:

"I can not understand why people get so emotional sometimes, even though nothing has happened."

"I was just being honest. The reporter asked a stupid question, so he got a stupid answer."

http://sportbild.bild.de/SPORT/formel-1 ... lueck.html

And Google translation (not too bad)
Interview with the 'Iceman' Raikkonen: "Schumi was not so lucky"

After two years in the World Rally Championship is Kimi Raikkonen back in Formula 1 and is excited about his car

SPORT BILD: Mr Raikkonen, your Lotus is super fast. You can use it to fight against Vettel for the win?

Kimi Raikkonen (32): I dunno. The car is good, but if it's good enough for victory, I do not know. At least we are not far removed from the tip.

They were formerly well with Vettel friends. How do you evaluate his rise to the double world champion?

We have in Switzerland long lived close to each other. Then he moved away. Therefore, we have seen less. But we have already have a good time, since I'm back in Formula 1 . That was like before. He has won two world championships, but he does not change as a guy has.

In the past you have often played badminton against each other. At that time, you tend to have won.

I still do. If I lose, at most on the track. Sebastian has become a great racer, but still a totally nice guy.

Make a difference when you go against him?

No. Since there is no difference whether it's your friend or not. I want to win against anyone.

They are also known as Iceman, because you are always so cool. Do you ever think about your image to the public?

I'm not interested. It makes no difference in my life. I'm happy with the one thing I do that. I'm not here to play a role, but even so to be unhappy.

But are you really that cool?

There is no reason, given normal circumstances lashing out. I can not understand why people get so emotional sometimes, even though nothing has happened.

Earlier this year they took part in a snowmobile race and broke his wrist. Also, since you are still cool.

Sometimes you are injured, sometimes not. Of course, my boss was not amused. But without these freedoms, I would not be Formula 1 drive.

In addition, however, that in the WRC had no success. What has slowed you?

I was listening to it just not used to someone else. But exactly does this confidence in the announcements of the co-pilot in the rally all the difference. If one would take any special stage times, the time difference between the pilots would be vanishingly small. Because you drive a car there all. Also with me I've found that I had less trouble in the second year, as I already knew the routes.

When you see you go, you might feel it has anything changed since retiring.

It has indeed changed nothing. We're all a little older now, but the cars are still the same. And the tires are not so different this year than in 2009 when I was the last time.

Can you explain why Michael Schumacher took longer to feel well again in his car?

This is simply related to the fact whether you have a good or bad car. A fast car, as I have, it makes life much easier. Since he had not been so lucky.

You are also the age of 32 still very much younger.

I do not compare us really happy. He does his things, I mean. That's it.

Can you still remember how you told me before Michael's last race in 2006 a TV reporter, you are just - to put it nicely - was on the toilet?

I was just being honest. The reporter asked a stupid question, so he got a stupid answer.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 05 Apr 2012, 14:05

When he says stupid, he means Brundle was not asking something serious. It was lighthearted. Not idiotic, just for clarification. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74kJMhqY3WQ

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 05 Apr 2012, 15:04

Well yes donald. There is a Finnish saying "Tyhmään kysymykseen saa tyhmän vastauksen". In English something like "For a dumb question you get a dumb answer" or "For a goofy question you get a goofy answer". Goofy is more likekely what he meant. He surely didn't think Brundle was serious or idiotic when he asked "Will you get over it". :p

Soren
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soren » 05 Apr 2012, 19:06

Hey guys. Havent been here for a while. Still alive and kickin I hope :)
Just thought I would share an article with you. It is Kimi related but if this is deemed too off topic, then I hope the mods will remove it. I just figured this is where most Kimi fans are that I know and who are most likely to be interested.

Anyway, its a piece on the 2008 saga that a fellow forumer wrote. It was so well researched imo and threw up so many interesting things that we teamed up and made a post out of it.
Its called "The Truth About Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari And Santander In 2008."
Link: http://desdirodeabike.wordpress.com/201 ... nder-2008/
So much c**p has been said about this topic. And my hope is that this could perhaps bring some light and put things to rest.
Join our feisty Kimi Raikkonen group on Facebook
Click and join :D
Click here to follow us on Twitter as well

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 05 Apr 2012, 20:45

Soren wrote:Its called "The Truth About Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari And Santander In 2008."
Link: http://desdirodeabike.wordpress.com/201 ... nder-2008/
So much c**p has been said about this topic. And my hope is that this could perhaps bring some light and put things to rest.
Interesting, thanks. Ferrari has managed to get rid of the team which built their success. Todt wanted Kimi to Ferrari but he left and so did many other. Don't know the real background what happened, but it looks like problems started when Santander came in. Kimi was really excited to go to Ferrari, but later I have heard it wasn't after all as he had hoped. Good thing he is now back and he looks to be now more excited about Lotus than any team before :)

Soren
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soren » 05 Apr 2012, 21:02

reppo wrote: Interesting, thanks. Ferrari has managed to get rid of the team which built their success. Todt wanted Kimi to Ferrari but he left and so did many other. Don't know the real background what happened, but it looks like problems started when Santander came in. Kimi was really excited to go to Ferrari, but later I have heard it wasn't after all as he had hoped. Good thing he is now back and he looks to be now more excited about Lotus than any team before :)
Indeed. Santander went out of their way to get the sponsor deal in place with McLaren for 2007. Can you imagine their faces and anger when Alonso left after only one year with no title? :p They threw everything and the boat in to get Alonso to Ferrari with their sponsorship. Unfortunately Kimi was in the way. He became a victim of dirty politics and moneydriven schemes behind the curtain no matter what anybody says otherwise.

As for Kimi he got a break from it all that seems to have done him a world of good. He is now with a team that respects him and is determined to cater to his needs. Even if they have an overzealous urge to broadcast a lot of these things on social media. Its a bit weird when we have been used to almost nothing. Anyway. Cant wait for China :)

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 05 Apr 2012, 21:16

Soren wrote:Santander went out of their way to get the sponsor deal in place with McLaren for 2007. Can you imagine their faces and anger when Alonso left after only one year with no title? :p
Can't imagine they are that angry. Yes they are Spanish and Alonso is massive for them, but in the UK over the last few years they have used Lewis and more recently Jenson as marketing tools massively. Walk into a branch of Santander and all you see is pictures of Lewis and Jenson... Even without Alonso I am sure they are very happy with their McLaren deal.

Soren
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soren » 05 Apr 2012, 23:11

donald29 wrote:
Soren wrote:Santander went out of their way to get the sponsor deal in place with McLaren for 2007. Can you imagine their faces and anger when Alonso left after only one year with no title? :p
Can't imagine they are that angry. Yes they are Spanish and Alonso is massive for them, but in the UK over the last few years they have used Lewis and more recently Jenson as marketing tools massively. Walk into a branch of Santander and all you see is pictures of Lewis and Jenson... Even without Alonso I am sure they are very happy with their McLaren deal.
I dont think they are angry anymore. (Except for a missing championship perhaps. Disappointed might be a better word.) But I think its fairly clear that the Alonso departure was not in their plans. And wheels were set in motion pretty soon after that :)

icemaid
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by icemaid » 06 Apr 2012, 04:39

Its just so wonderful Kimi is back in F1! !yahoo:

Don't care about the F-team, Alonso or whatever... :p

Glad you're back Soren & as Kimi fans we are enjoying every minute of his return! :C:

Hoping for a good race at Shanghai! Flag:##

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 06 Apr 2012, 14:35

Soren wrote:
donald29 wrote:
I dont think they are angry anymore. (Except for a missing championship perhaps. Disappointed might be a better word.) But I think its fairly clear that the Alonso departure was not in their plans. And wheels were set in motion pretty soon after that :)
It's funny how things work out. They're probably happier now than they would have been if Alonso stayed at McLaren! They have two British World Champions to market in the UK and Alonso at Ferrari to market in Spain!

Actually, I think soon they will back most of the grid. :p Santander is everywhere. I noticed Bruno Senna has Santander logos and I think they provide some backing to de la Rosa! Plus all their race sponsorship deals. I hate the top three trophies that are just Santander logos. :<>:

I was actually in Santander the other day, taking some money out to move to another bank. The person serving me asked if I would like to put the money in a different Santander account. I pointed to a picture of Lewis Hamilton and said 'no thanks, you sponsor McLaren.' :p

reppo
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by reppo » 06 Apr 2012, 19:01

Donald, you dumped Santander because of McLaren :lol: If I had owned Ferrari, I might have dumped it because of Santander :lol: but I don't blame Santander or Ferrari for Montezemolo turning Ferrari, the racing team, into a rude business empire where legends are valued in dollars. If he would leave F1 tomorrow, it wouldn't be too soon. Santander just do what they are allowed to do. They are not specially interested in Ferrari or after all even Alonso either, but Santander apparently thinks sponsoring them is a good way to promote their business for now. And they will continue having their influence in Ferrari as long as Luca lets it happen - Enzo must be turning in his grave.

Besides Ferrari getting loads of money and Santander the publicity (good or bad; I really don't know) they so "desperately" seeked, something good eventually did come out from all of this. Kimi wasn't very happy in McLaren at the end. He didn't like Dennis style management which tried to fit him into Ron made mold and of course having so many technical failures didn't help either. Kimi's mother told in an interview how happy Kimi was for Ferrari deal. I suppose 2007 was a happy year. He did win the WDC. Brawn, even he wasn't officially involved in Ferrari operation anymore but knew well what was happening behind the curtains, has told later how much Kimi had problems with tyres, how he worked with the team and changed his driving to come over it. Next year's car was no longer at all how he liked it to be and Todt had left the team. Kimi has said afterwards how fed up he was with all politics in F1. Maybe that's why he lost his interest in F1 and did not make a deal.

Thankfully Red Bull lured him to WRC. Kimi got to see other kind of racing in an other way than just taking part to a Rally with S2000 car, and a good break from F1. Some says that driving rally cannot teach anything to a track racer, but I would disagree. To compete with the bests in rally requires split second reactions, ability to analyze and memorize roads where every curve and straight is different from each other and boldness to drive flat out on roads where driving off means usually stopping the race. Kimi has said that rally drivers are very good and even drivers when they know the road. If he didn't learn anything from rally at least he is now more relaxed :) Also it is good to see him in a team which listens him and considers his opinions when starting to design next year's car even the season has barely started :)

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 06 Apr 2012, 19:18

I didn't dump them only because of McLaren. :p It was also because of their appalling service. When I was in there this week the woman had to get someone else to help her, then when she was filling out a form that needed to be done actually said 'I don't have a clue what I'm doing.' Hardly inspires me with confidence!

Kimi says he never got fed up of the racing and makes it clear he didn't like the other stuff of being an F1 driver. He had been in a top team since the second season of his career though when he was very young. He was talking to McLaren for 2010 but they would not meet his salary demands so he left. I think perhaps all that time in the sport, most of it for a top team, made him take the part he loved for granted a bit. After two seasons away he realised how much he missed it. Now he's back and can really appreciate it again.

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 06 Apr 2012, 19:36

Both, Räikkönen and Whitmarsh say it was not the money the reason why Kimi did not sign with McLaren for 2010.
I know most of what the F1 people say is usually not true, but taking into consideration that Kimi put money from his own pocket to rally and that he didn't accept a more than profitable contract to race this season in the USA... I do think Kimi and Witmarsh are saying the truth there and the money was not the issue. :)