Where will be Alonso in 2008?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Where will Alonso be in 2008?

Renault
67%
Williams
9%
Red Bull
6%
Toyota
12%
Honda
6%
Another Team
No votes
Gardening Leave
No votes

Total votes: 33

newtrex
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Where will be Alonso in 2008?

Post by newtrex » 24 Jul 2007, 15:36

Alonso free to leave McLaren?
Tuesday, 24th July 2007
http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1~id~151798.htm

World champion could be free to go if image is sullied by spy saga.

Previous Page

According to sources in Spain, Fernando Alonso would be free to leave McLaren should the Woking team be found guilty in the ongoing espionage scandal currently engulfing Formula One.

Although opinion is split regarding the outcome of this week's hearing into the matter - with suggestions that McLaren could be hit hard, financially and/or points-wise, or exonerated completely - as.com has revealed that there could be even bigger 'penalty' for Ron Dennis' outfit should any blame be laid at its door.

Sanctions, should the team be found culpable of benefiting from Mike Coughlan's decision accept a 700-page dossier of information from a Ferrari insider,could range from a heavy fine, via the loss of all constructors' championship points, to the stripping of all points in both the teams' and drivers' championships, leaving Alonso and current leader Lewis Hamilton with nothing to show for their five wins and consistent podium appearances this season. However, it is now being alleged that the two-time world champion could be free to leave McLaren should his image be damaged by the team's involvement in the scandal.

Although Dennis has repeatedly claimed that nothing contained in the Ferrari technical package has appeared on the MP4-22 -which returned to winning ways with Alonso at the Nurburgring on Sunday - paddock rumour claims that the FIA has enough proof that the information has been used to throw the book at the Woking operation.

Central to these claims is now what may have been used on the car, but the fact that McLaren successfully launched a protest against the flexible floor introduced by Ferrari at the start of the season - something cynics say would not have been possible without back-up information detailing the part - based on email conversations between Coughlan and Ferrari's Nigel Stepney.

Edited by Zack
+Poll

Super Aguri
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Alonso free to leave McLaren?

Post by Super Aguri » 24 Jul 2007, 15:45

I don't think he will leave as I don't think anything will happen in the World Council metting this Thursday. If something does I'm pretty sure some fans will find something else to do with their Sunday afternoons.

sonofgabe
kart driver
kart driver

Post by sonofgabe » 24 Jul 2007, 16:26

While I'm not expecting any bombshells on Thursday, with the FIA anything can happen. It wouldn't be good for anyone if the most exciting championship in years was screwed.

But back to the topic -- where would Alonso go? Back to Renault? They are a known quantity to him, and he'd be treated like the prodigal son, #1 status, all that. BMW is an option I suppose, as the 3rd best team right now, but that's a step down. They've recently lost some key design personnel, so who knows how that will affect them. Toyota could offer him a mountain of cash, but he doesn't seem motivated by that. If it's true that he's really unhappy at McLaren, and some FIA judgement gives him a chance to jump ship, I would think that unless the penalty is massive, he'd be much better off staying put.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 24 Jul 2007, 17:38

this spygate scandal really sucks....if ever mclaren would be excluded in this year's championship, what would be left is a total farce. fia may claim that rules are rules but they must also take into consideration the fans that tirelessly follow each races.

having said that, i still believe all would be ok at mclaren. and that they'll win this year's championships

z06_23_45
car driver
car driver

Post by z06_23_45 » 24 Jul 2007, 23:09

Everything better come out ok. That would truly suck if Alonso and Hamilton were to get penalized. Alonso has already proven his worth by being the reigning two time world champion, so obviously they should see it is not so much the car as it is the driver.

mclarenmatt
kart driver
kart driver

Post by mclarenmatt » 25 Jul 2007, 08:00

F1 really doesnt need this right now, punishing mclaren will make the sport have a bad image, just as it seems we are gaining alot more interest again :(

reyhan
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by reyhan » 31 Jul 2007, 19:49

And where would he go???
BMW Power

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 31 Jul 2007, 20:21

He'd go to Ferrari! Maybe there is a conspiracy.. A Ferrari insider set McLaren up. Then, they use this as a hidden ace up their sleeve if the season starts not going their way... LOL

reyhan
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by reyhan » 31 Jul 2007, 20:40

phillyred79 wrote:He'd go to Ferrari! Maybe there is a conspiracy.. A Ferrari insider set McLaren up. Then, they use this as a hidden ace up their sleeve if the season starts not going their way...
&doh ''hmm''
BMW Power

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 31 Jul 2007, 20:47

phillyred79 wrote:He'd go to Ferrari! Maybe there is a conspiracy.. A Ferrari insider set McLaren up. Then, they use this as a hidden ace up their sleeve if the season starts not going their way... LOL
i think the conspiracy is......ron dennis going to ferrari and michael to mclaren and todt to renault, brawn to honda, stepney to williams etc..etc.. !yahoo: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

lucian
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by lucian » 31 Jul 2007, 20:57

I might be the only one from this forum that wants that, I don't know, but I certainly want McLaren to get severely penalized. After I read all the news I could find I made my personal opinion about that and for me it's clear that McLaren are guilty as hell. So why would they get away with it ? FIA will not be responsible for ruining this exciting season if they decide to impose penalties. It's McLaren's fault and I am sure the reason for their comeback after so many years (since 1999) is that they got secrets from Ferrari.

But I hope that the team get excluded from WCC only, in a way it would not be fair for the drivers to pay for the team's mistakes. But in another way, Alonso and Hamilton would not be leading the championship without the stolen secrets from Ferrari that slowed down the Italian team after the first race when they were so dominant.

ginori9
car driver
car driver

Post by ginori9 » 01 Aug 2007, 22:37

in the past week i read in a spanish newspaper (http://www.as.com) that Alonso wanted to leave McLaren and he would be welcome in Ferrari!!......that's just something that i read....i really don't think so!

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 02 Aug 2007, 19:39

ginori9 wrote:in the past week i read in a spanish newspaper (http://www.as.com) that Alonso wanted to leave McLaren and he would be welcome in Ferrari!!......that's just something that i read....i really don't think so!
I don't think that will happen very soon.

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 04 Aug 2007, 03:43

Super Aguri wrote:I don't think he will leave as I don't think anything will happen in the World Council metting this Thursday. If something does I'm pretty sure some fans will find something else to do with their Sunday afternoons.
Those fans who would stop watching arent real fans anyway so good riddance. F1 is about details and any true fan is so immersed in the many variations and challenges that it would be impossible not to watch. F1 is not about overtaking as some would have you believe and the way the weekend pans out, overtaking is simply a bonus. The real challenge is putting the whole car and driver together and developing in in a better way than the other teams. When a team gets it right they are unbeatable but to say that makes it boring is simply not understanding F1.
To lose fairweather fans in any sport is a bonus and F1 is no different. McLaren were found to be in breach of one of the fundemental rules of the sport that has historically meant severe penalties for the teams involved even if it was circumstances and not intent which caused them to be guilty. McLaren courted these circumstances and therefore should be punished or does Ron think that just because he has a shiny new factory and thinks he's better than everyone else that McLaren should be treated differently.
McLaren are having a good run at the moment but they still havent won a championship since 1999 in spite of having prodigous drivers in their cars. So who the hell do they really think they are.

Ciao Bob

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 04 Aug 2007, 03:50

mclarenmatt wrote:F1 really doesnt need this right now, punishing mclaren will make the sport have a bad image, just as it seems we are gaining alot more interest again :(
Not to punish any team for such a serious infraction would be even more damaging and the consensus around the paddock from other teams and drivers is that they were found guilty therefore they must be punished. That is without question but it would be nice if the drivers championship was allowed to continue without interference and that seems to be the main consensus.

Ciao Bob