Money Over Talent !

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
f1freak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Money Over Talent !

Post by f1freak » 19 Feb 2012, 08:21

Since all of us has observed that the frequency of driver changes pre-season & in season has been growing rapidly and has now become a normal trend. Lets put in our views that keeping money aside & looking at their performances past & present which drivers deserve a seat in F1 and form the best lot of 24. Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

My Choices:

1.Fernando Alonso
2.Lewis Hamilton
3.Jenson Button
4.Nico Rosberg
5.Michael Schumacher
6.Felipe Massa
7.Kimi Raikkonen
8.Adrian Sutil
9.Paul Di-Resta
10.Adrain Sutil
11.Kamui Kobayashi
12.Robet Kubica
13. Sebastian Vettel
14. Mark Webber
15. Timo Glock
16. Juan Pablo Montoya
17. Hiekki Kovalainen
18. Bruno Senna

François
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Money Over Talent !

Post by François » 19 Feb 2012, 09:17

f1freak wrote:Since all of us has observed that the frequency of driver changes pre-season & in season has been growing rapidly and has now become a normal trend
Er... what?

Please tell me you never watched F1 in the 90's. Pay-drivers and mid-season swaps are by no means a recent trend.

Treacle
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Treacle » 19 Feb 2012, 11:52

f1freak wrote: 8.Adrian Sutil
9.Paul Di-Resta
10.Adrain Sutil
Sutil must be awesome, if you put him on the list twice... :D
If I look at the present performance of Massa, I'm not quite sure he deserves a seat (and definitely not one at Ferrari)... However, it's true that he was a good driver before 2009.
Also, if you put money aside... Bruno probably wouldn't be on the grid either.
"Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before."

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 19 Feb 2012, 13:50

You're joking right?

Pay drivers have always been a part of F1. Hell, Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso could be called pay driver because of sponsor reasons. There were a lack of pay drivers in the late 90s up until the mid-00s in a lot of teams because of the manufacturer era. But apart from that...

If money didn't matter, the grid would look very different.

zoefrances
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by zoefrances » 20 Feb 2012, 13:37

unfortuantly paying for a drive or ride has alway's been done.
it seems at the moment in motorsport has if there is a lack of good sponsership around :( this I know from experience.
sadly I am watching to of my closest friends miss out on moto3 rides due to the amount of money required to get a ride. they can not raise the money needed in sponsership to secure thier future.
F1 is no different, smaller teams are stuggling to find big sponser's and rely on driver's buying the drive with sponsership. I know it spoils F1 knowing that some drivers who are talented do not get drives because they have no sponsership.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 20 Feb 2012, 18:10

My point is that currently, you have very few drivers who don't deserve their seat on the grid. Maldonado is a GP2 champion, Perez is a competent racing driver and future star. Senna is good.

Some miss out, and it's a shame, but it will always happen.

zoefrances
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by zoefrances » 21 Feb 2012, 14:06

that is true phil

f1freak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by f1freak » 24 Feb 2012, 17:13

François wrote:
f1freak wrote:Since all of us has observed that the frequency of driver changes pre-season & in season has been growing rapidly and has now become a normal trend
Er... what?

Please tell me you never watched F1 in the 90's. Pay-drivers and mid-season swaps are by no means a recent trend.
Francois I know that Driver Changes had happened a lot in the past & I am not against the concept of driver changes as money talks in F1 but my main idea of starting this topic was to not to discuss driver changes but to put in a dream grid for all the F1 Fans. That's the reason I had put in my top drivers who deserves to be on the grid not because of the money but because of their talent behind the wheel.

f1freak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by f1freak » 24 Feb 2012, 17:15

phil1993 wrote:My point is that currently, you have very few drivers who don't deserve their seat on the grid. Maldonado is a GP2 champion, Perez is a competent racing driver and future star. Senna is good.

Some miss out, and it's a shame, but it will always happen.
Totally agree with you phil. But it would be great if you can put in your opinion for a dream grid which will make a season much more exciting.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 24 Feb 2012, 17:21

I don't think there'd be much I'd change for a 'dream grid'. We have 6 world champions and several other fantastic drivers.

The problem is you have about 20-25 competent drivers competing for, say, 10 seats. So It'd be nice to have one or two more teams. There's a limit of 13 and it'd be good to see that adhered to, because I think there's some drivers who are stronger than those on the grid - Adrian Sutil & Jaime Alguersuari in particular should not have been turfed out. Jerome d'Ambrosio was competent as well.

Most of the others, I don't mind not being around. Trulli and Barrichello have been great ambassadors for the sport and have had great careers, but it's time for a change. Out of the others, Buemi doesn't seem to have it (I personally think he'd make a fantastic Le Mans driver, so it's good to see him get that chance this year), while Liuzzi has been unspectacular for several years.

I'd like to see some of those who never made it get a chance - Robert Wickens, Mikhail Aleshin. They may not be champions, but they're good racing drivers.

Also, I'd like Kubica back and Timo Glock & Heikki Kovalainen in a car capable of fighting for points & podiums.

Coopz
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Coopz » 02 Mar 2012, 17:07

I don't know how Hulkenberg did not make your list but Senna did. Hulkenberg was dropped by Williams for Maldonado because he lacked money, although Hulkenberg didn't have a great season in that Williams car (bar the pole position) It is clear to me he has immense quality and I believe we'll see that this year in which I hope will be a competitive Force India. I really believe that Hulkenberg can become champion one day.