Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by Bobdredds » 02 Aug 2011, 15:27

It looks like we will probably have to wait until next season to see what the effects are especially if they are not going to discuss it onair. Thats a pity because there are many flaws in their reasoning. For example they could have renegotiated the deal with the BBC and reducced to price to allow it to continue and the product is good enough to sell the live broadcast to other terratories with less resources and recoup costs that way. There are others that could be explored.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 02 Aug 2011, 21:57

Bobdredds wrote:It looks like we will probably have to wait until next season to see what the effects are especially if they are not going to discuss it onair. Thats a pity because there are many flaws in their reasoning. For example they could have renegotiated the deal with the BBC and reducced to price to allow it to continue and the product is good enough to sell the live broadcast to other terratories with less resources and recoup costs that way. There are others that could be explored.
Im not even going to bother with it next year.

I just dont see a point in having half the races. I mean following F1 religiously for many years and suddnely to lose 60% (cant half 19 races) i just dont see the point in honesty.

And the other thing is, if the teams dont give a s***, if weve got adam parr/chavin kolles saying its great, Whitmarsh saying that he wants to see what it entails, then its quite obvious that the teams we support, dont care. So if the team we support dont care, why are we actually watching and bothering kicking up a fuss? Let em go to sky, let em lose millions upon millions of viewers, receivership and sponsors target area's, and if it works for the teams getting an extra what, Million pound/4 wheel nuts and a wheel gun, then so be it, hope it was worth the millions of supporters and followers who dont just watch F1 for free, but pay for subscription to team websites, buy magazines, buy team clothing, buy diecast models, and buy general merchandise and make the effort to buy sponsored brands.

I hope it falls flat on their faces but it probably wont. We need F1 more than F1 needs us. and it ends. It ends now. Ive loved every second of following F1 and the hundreds and hundreds of pounds worth of diecast models alone and all that. So now, bye bye F1. youve done the dirty on your fans, so why should the fans be fighting and bothering with a sport, a commercial holder and the damn teams who are supposedly on our side with regards to FOTA, but dont give a flying **** about us all.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 03 Aug 2011, 17:04

There's 20 races next year dude.

Also, woo Adam Parr
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93615

Grade A bellend

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 03 Aug 2011, 21:04

phil1993 wrote:There's 20 races next year dude.

Also, woo Adam Parr
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93615

Grade A bellend
Yus, I forgot that not just taking turkey but adding the USA.

Ofcourse, if Bahrain isn't suitable and the belgian prats dont stop Spa, then theres 20 instead of 21 like there would have been next year. My bad.

And Adam parr, scuse my french, is a prick. Thats why nobody likes williams because they are an utter joke compared to their hayday.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 04 Aug 2011, 07:57

Another option for UK F1 fans to consider is to get Freesat and point the dish at RTL German TV (which shows Quali and Race live). This will cost about ₤130 (or ₤50 if you already own a dish) and will not involve any subscriptions. You could also probably try and sync it with 5 Live as well.

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 04 Aug 2011, 13:19

I have used Identity cloaker for years since they stopped freeview in Ireland and it's perfectly legal. With it you can access all freeview from individual countries if it's on the internet. I guess RTL would have it. I pay around 37euros for 3 months.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 04 Aug 2011, 15:10

When Hitler discovers that the BBC has lost exclusive rights to show all Formula 1 races live to Rupert Murdoch's Sky channel, he comes up with his own dream team on KAI TV, featuring reminiscences of driving for Team Niemals in 1918, objections, pointing using a clipboard, plus Kai Ebel and Niki Lauda. All this and Burgdorf's Grid Crawl (R) too!

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 04 Aug 2011, 17:55

Mark Webber wrote:The new UK television deal was a big talking point at the weekend, and as always when something new happens there is a lot of uproar and opinions.

I think it's going to be a little bit bizarre to have two stations running one sporting event. To me that seems unusual outside the World Cup.

It's a big shift. It's such a phenomenally popular sport and viewers expect a sporting event of F1's calibre to be live and pretty easy to access.

I have Sky at home. I like sport and I watch a lot of different types. But not everyone is like that, and there is a big percentage of people who love F1 who only deal with free-to-air in their household.

Clearly that's going to have to be overcome in some fashion. I don't know how. That is the biggest uncertainty.

jizmop
car driver
car driver

Post by jizmop » 06 Aug 2011, 13:08

a petition tp try and keep formula 1 free to air in the uk, http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/57

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 06 Aug 2011, 18:18

Having looked at several petitions and polls including http://www.enterf1.com/f1/Which-of-thes ... season.asp it looks like they will lose around 20%+ of their audience from longtime F1 fans for the Sky races. However this is misleading because none of them seem include casual viewers who wont be bothered to vote in polls or give their views in forums. No casual viewer is going to pay £60 per race and definately wont pay £600 for all ten so whatever happens the viewership is going to fall. IMHO the experts who predict that all sports will eventually go to pay per view are way off the mark and are ignoring the current financial situation worldwide and many of the trends that seem to be emerging. By keeping F1 free to air the sport had control over it's own destiny and was able to weather many fluctuations in the past including a horrific death rate during the first 30+ years of racing. This independence will be lost and the sport will be more identified with outside groups like Sky and not with the legendary figures and marques that made it what it is and it will do a lot of damage to the way it is percieved. I believe that F1 and the teams are in for a big shock in 2012 and will have to act accordingly to reverse this or go to a new series. I want to watch the drivers and teams race. I am prepared to tolerate F~0~M and it's partners profiteering up to a point but not unconditionally. Nor are a lot of others it seems. This is not about people being mean or tight fisted or not true fans as has been suggested but about a price hike from zero to £600 if you are a fan, during the worst recession the world has ever seen. Quite simply F1 has lost the respect and support of the vast majority of people that had insulated and helped it grow in the past. I can afford Sky coverage but I dont like the Sky package as there is nothing in it for me and the costs are way too high for ordinary families and therefore that just makes it unacceptable whatever BS anyone says. Also to Murray and Martin Et Al, better to say nothing at all rather than the watered down, muted responses that the powers that be are "allowing" in an effort to railroad this unfortunate turn of events. At least one thing I am sure of is that whatever gains were made in this deal will be lost and then some or I will change my name to Bernie.

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 06 Aug 2011, 18:41

cformula1 wrote:Another option for UK F1 fans to consider is to get Freesat and point the dish at RTL German TV (which shows Quali and Race live). This will cost about ₤130 (or ₤50 if you already own a dish) and will not involve any subscriptions. You could also probably try and sync it with 5 Live as well.
I think many will find a way to watch it and syncing it with 5 Live is a very good idea and shouldnt be too difficult. Many of us have already watched races in a foreign language in the past without an issue.
When you consider the profits being made by CVC and it's partners there was absolutely no need for this move to Sky but from someone who used to watch free practise sessions on the timing screens finding a free to air broadcast will be a doddle. Another thought, I had intended going to a couple of races again, especially back to Spa and the Nurburgring but as long as this pay per view nonsense is in place I will not be attending. Nothing lasts forever and F1 has forgotten the support that made it what it is, it does so at it's peril.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 07 Aug 2011, 08:24

I believe the following deal would have worked better:
Sky Sports:
All FPs, Qualis and Races live (plus replays, highlights, onboard, tracker, online rights etc.)
BBC:
No FPs, delayed Quali (except British GP) and live Races (as well as a 30-minute highlights package for once-only broadcast and iPlayer)
As you can see, it makes significant concessions to Sky, while still keeping all the races live on the BBC (albeit at the expense of FPs and live Quali).

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 10 Aug 2011, 19:07

Channel 4's plan had they got the rights
http://www.graphicalhouse.co.uk/#/projects/channel-4

Damn. Sounds good :(

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 10 Aug 2011, 20:48

phil1993 wrote:Channel 4's plan had they got the rights
http://www.graphicalhouse.co.uk/#/projects/channel-4

Damn. Sounds good :(
Makes nonsense of the view that there was no other option. I sure advertising could be integrated into the race without disrupting it too. IMHO sponsors would be looked at more favourably now if they supported preview creating a new oppertuinity. I noticed with some amusment that some people are now trying to play down the importance of the freeview audience in England. It's really the teams that need to get their priorities right. We supported them against Max, now it's time for them to step up and support the case for freeview.

KevC

Post by KevC » 11 Aug 2011, 11:28

The proof will be in 3 years time when the deal it up again. If the money/viewing figures from Sky don't add up, Bernie will look to get it back on terrestrial.