Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by phil1993 » 30 Jul 2011, 11:55

BTCC suffered at the start of 2005 - I think 13 cars turned up for the first round. Now, they're about 25, not necessarily manufacturers but you have Honda, Ford, Chevrolet, BMW, Audi, VW, Vauxhall, Toyota, Seat; Proton and Skoda coming soon

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 Jul 2011, 12:11

phil1993 wrote:BTCC suffered at the start of 2005 - I think 13 cars turned up for the first round. Now, they're about 25, not necessarily manufacturers but you have Honda, Ford, Chevrolet, BMW, Audi, VW, Vauxhall, Toyota, Seat; Proton and Skoda coming soon
yus, with the Octavia VRS NGTC rules isnt it? Thats what the audi is am I correct this year?

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 30 Jul 2011, 13:37

If they make this new deal stick it wont be long before all of F1 races are pay per view in every Country. So anyone out there that thinks that it doesn't affect them and only the UK will be in for an unpleasant surprise in the future.
I read that the teams are getting £1 million each in the deal with Sky and there is a noticable absence of discussion about it on the BBC. That is not what we expect from the BEEB but if they are ignoring the fans views and hoping it will go away it will have the opposite effect. The fact that it hasn't been debated by the F1 tv crew is very dissapointing and if it is because of instruction from their bosses then it stinks.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 Jul 2011, 13:47

Bobdredds wrote:If they make this new deal stick it wont be long before all of F1 races are pay per view in every Country. So anyone out there that thinks that it doesn't affect them and only the UK will be in for an unpleasant surprise in the future.
I read that the teams are getting £1 million each in the deal with Sky and there is a noticable absence of discussion about it on the BBC. That is not what we expect from the BEEB but if they are ignoring the fans views and hoping it will go away it will have the opposite effect. The fact that it hasn't been debated by the F1 tv crew is very dissapointing and if it is because of instruction from their bosses then it stinks.
Their in a predicament. Do they open their mouths about their bosses? Piss off potential future employers or what?

fezzer
car driver
car driver

Post by fezzer » 30 Jul 2011, 18:25

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 Jul 2011, 18:57

full of s*** comes to mind.

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 30 Jul 2011, 19:06

mikhailv wrote:
Bobdredds wrote:If they make this new deal stick it wont be long before all of F1 races are pay per view in every Country. So anyone out there that thinks that it doesn't affect them and only the UK will be in for an unpleasant surprise in the future.
Their in a predicament. Do they open their mouths about their bosses? Piss off potential future employers or what?
I realise that but it still stinks. Well F1 is in for a major surprise IMHO although they will try to put a positive spin on it. I have't misssed a live race in years but I will next year it seems. Highlights aren't the same and once I know the result there is no urgency to watch the race. The free to air service is a part of F1 and if you take it away you diminish the brand and make it more ordinary. It was tried a couple of years ago and failled miserably but this time it's not an option for half the races and those will suffer badly in my opinion and whatever short term money it makes will be overshadowed by the loss of sponsorship in the long run. What they will end up with will be a shadow of its former self. I guess nothing lasts forever but it's still dissapointing though.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 30 Jul 2011, 20:06

Bobdredds wrote:
mikhailv wrote:
I realise that but it still stinks. Well F1 is in for a major surprise IMHO although they will try to put a positive spin on it. I have't misssed a live race in years but I will next year it seems. Highlights aren't the same and once I know the result there is no urgency to watch the race. The free to air service is a part of F1 and if you take it away you diminish the brand and make it more ordinary. It was tried a couple of years ago and failled miserably but this time it's not an option for half the races and those will suffer badly in my opinion and whatever short term money it makes will be overshadowed by the loss of sponsorship in the long run. What they will end up with will be a shadow of its former self. I guess nothing lasts forever but it's still dissapointing though.
Full on agree mate with everything youve said.

To be honest, Look on the brightside. Therewill be other things to do than follow F1. Im looking at it as saving money buying all this F1 related stuff. Costs best part of £100 a model car on my end. Now.... I can fully grow up now. Getting a girlfriend has made me grow up alot, and this is the final screw being tightned. I mean, instead of thinking OH PRACTICE IS ON! or lets back for the race, I can now focus on actually not sacrificing time out at the weekend. I can also save the £1500 we saved together to go to monza in 2012. It can now be spent on more than just one holiday for the pair of us.

Ive decided to even get a new car now. In the past ive always impulse bought F1 cars be it Hamilton, Alonso, button or schumacher and they aint cheap. Now, i can take on the finance, and not have to bother with F1. I love the sport, i really do but yknow what, if it aint free, I can think of stuff which is free and is much much better; Walking my dog with the missus in the forest, watching a sunset at the beach and just quality time with her.

Though quality time usually ends up with kardashians on E! at 9-11pm ever sunday ¬_¬

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 30 Jul 2011, 22:35

For £600 I can upgrade my graphics card and buy a top of the range wheel for my pc and go racing online myself........every day if I want to. My gf hasn't really made me grow up yet but I am only 55 so there's still time.:) Regardless it wouldn't be fair on her to spend that money just to watch 10 races because I will still watch the freeview races.
You make a very important point regarding the money. There are a lot of other things that make more sense and will give greater enjoyment for longer for the money. I already pay around £80 on top of my broadband subscription to watch F1 on the BBC because I enjoy the free practise sessions but I also get a lot more options for it as well. The Sky option just seems like an overpriced waste of money. I would rather watch the races in B&W than pay a ridiculous price for HD.
You should check out Modena and Maranello though, much better value and there's plenty to do with your Gf as well. The pasta in Il Cavallino is excellent and not overpriced. I picked up a couple of models there as well and they were priced very competitively and all in all it was great value.
Alternative series anyone?

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 30 Jul 2011, 22:35

If they want F1 to survive as it is they need to offer more options and if HD and flim flam are the only extra's on offer then offer standard viewing online for a competitive price. However, like Mikhailv, I am already looking for an alternative way to spend my time next year. My Gf is already smiling and planning stuff.
Last edited by Bobdredds on 31 Jul 2011, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 31 Jul 2011, 07:18

Martin Brundle wrote:I've 2 exciting race drives lined up for 2012, but absolutely no idea what will happen re F1 TV and don't expect to for weeks or even months.

Not looking for sympathy team, just answering million tweets asking what's happening. Simply don't know yet. Truly sorry so many fans upset
I think he's doing Sebring and something else, possibly Le Mans.

Sky apprently want Brundle

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 31 Jul 2011, 13:08

Sniff Petrol view of Sky deal :lol: :
Murdoch's money brings F1 to Sky. "Are Red Bull running team orders? Let's hack into their radio messages to find out..."

Bobdredds
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Bobdredds » 31 Jul 2011, 15:47

phil1993 wrote:
Martin Brundle wrote:I've 2 exciting race drives lined up for 2012, but absolutely no idea what will happen re F1 TV and don't expect to for weeks or even months.

Not looking for sympathy team, just answering million tweets asking what's happening. Simply don't know yet. Truly sorry so many fans upset
I think he's doing Sebring and something else, possibly Le Mans.

Sky apprently want Brundle
It looks to me as if Sky are buying silence and co-operation throughout the paddock and I expected more from FOTA on this. Rarely if ever has such a contentous topic been so widely ignored. Hardly a peep out of anyone other than to say they had no option. That is BS and of course there are other options. Otherwise why the blackout on discussion. I would have preferred to see it shared with ITV. They will lose more than they will gain with this and it will end up with a net loss. I prefer to watch online anyway and I rarely watch TV and this option hasn't even been properly explored. If the advent of pay per view is enevitable then so is the decline of F1 IMHO. How can we the fans be told one week that F1 will stay free to air and the next be told the opposite with no recourse or discussion. What races will Sky pick to be exclusive? Spa, Monaco, Suzuka, Brazil, the season opener or the last race. To have to subscribe to Sky just for F1 is terrible value for money shouldn't be offered as the only option. Now they are all going on holidays and I am sure they will hope that this issue will be forgotten when they get back. Fat chance. This is why I would like to see the teams have a greater control and why we need to keep petitioning them and the drivers with our views. I am confident that free to air races can be returned with a sustained campaign combined with the losses pay per view races will generate. But we must be persistent and have patience because it may take a while.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 01 Aug 2011, 16:19

Sky Sports confirm they & the BBC will use the same commentators. Likely to continue being David Coulthard & Martin Brundle. They will use different presenters for pre & post race shows.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 02 Aug 2011, 10:44

Bobdredds wrote: What races will Sky pick to be exclusive? Spa, Monaco, Suzuka, Brazil, the season opener or the last race. To have to subscribe to Sky just for F1 is terrible value for money shouldn't be offered as the only option. Now they are all going on holidays and I am sure they will hope that this issue will be forgotten when they get back. Fat chance. This is why I would like to see the teams have a greater control and why we need to keep petitioning them and the drivers with our views. I am confident that free to air races can be returned with a sustained campaign combined with the losses pay per view races will generate. But we must be persistent and have patience because it may take a while.
Silverstone, Monaco and the final round have already been guaranteed as BBC live races. As for the others, I think the BBC gets to cherry-pick the ten races they want to cover live.