Formula One TV Coverage

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
KevC

Re: Formula One TV Coverage

Post by KevC » 19 Jun 2011, 11:37

The long post half way down the responses here is worth a read
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/06/19/s ... p-f1-2013/

The article is riddled with inaccuracies.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 22 Jun 2011, 13:45

The BBC pay £1.5 million per week for Match of the Day football highlights that get around 3.2 million viewers, so if they're going to cut something, it should be that.

Mondello
car driver
car driver

Post by Mondello » 27 Jun 2011, 16:32

I think the BBC should cut Eddie Jordan, can't stand listening to his ignorant nonsense
http://www.thef1slate.com/- see what the drivers "really" think

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 14 Jul 2011, 14:59

Seeing as Mark Webber now has a column on the BBC website, it wouldn't surprise me if he were to become a BBC F1 pundit when he retires (perhaps replace DC in the pre-race show?).

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 14 Jul 2011, 19:35

cformula1 wrote:Seeing as Mark Webber now has a column on the BBC website, it wouldn't surprise me if he were to become a BBC F1 pundit when he retires (perhaps replace DC in the pre-race show?).
He definitely fits the job. Very level-headed and analogical.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 18 Jul 2011, 11:09

tderias wrote:
cformula1 wrote:Seeing as Mark Webber now has a column on the BBC website, it wouldn't surprise me if he were to become a BBC F1 pundit when he retires (perhaps replace DC in the pre-race show?).
You don't like Ayman Abdel Wahad ? :p
Bernie Ecclestone has said that he would likely approach Channel 5 first if the BBC elects not to extend its deal to cover Formula 1.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93160

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 18 Jul 2011, 15:07

iceman1 wrote:
Bernie Ecclestone has said that he would likely approach Channel 5 first if the BBC elects not to extend its deal to cover Formula 1.
Would Brundle and Coulthard lose their jobs, or they would move over to Channel 5? :confused:

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 18 Jul 2011, 18:11

sleenster wrote:
iceman1 wrote:
Would Brundle and Coulthard lose their jobs, or they would move over to Channel 5? :confused:
On current form, Brundle would definitely move over, and I'd imagine it to be likely that Coulthard would follow suit.

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 18 Jul 2011, 21:54

iceman1 wrote:
tderias wrote:
Hah how'd you know about him? When it comes down to it, arabic commentary just downright sucks. He's not bad, but it's nothing compared to listening to Brundle and DC. I watch the races on TV only because my internet connection doesnt allow proper streaming of good quality BBC Feed. Then I just come here and download the full races in lovely BBC Coverage, which, I have to say, some people take for granted :p

KevC

Post by KevC » 18 Jul 2011, 22:39

iceman1 wrote:
Channel 5 don't have anything like enough money to do it.

In the UK we have BBC (license fee £145 per household), ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 (all commercial stations) and Sky (pay TV).

Ch4 and 5 don't have a big enough budget for it so they're out. Their highest viewing figures are less than 4m and the audience share is less than 5%. They don't even crack £80m in profit. The BBC get 20%+ and typically average 7-10m viewers per prime time programme.
ITV are in the c**p a bit too financially as the advent of satellite channels meant a lot more stations competing for ad revenue and so their sales/income dropped off, so I can't see them paying for it again.

If Bernie wants it on what we call terrestrial TV (ie anything but Sky) he'll have to drop the price to the beeb or they probably won't go for it. The license fee has been pretty stable for the last few years due to (if I remember rightly) the government telling them they couldn't increase it during the recession so they're a bit strapped for cash as well.

I think Sky would be out. Although they can afford it, their viewing figures are no where near the BBC (in fact a fraction of what channel 5 get) and they would have a big backlash from people who would either have to pay to get sky in the first place (like my dad) or pay extra for sky sports (like me). And they still wouldn't get near the 5-8m viewers the BBC gets. That then impacts on the team sponsors too and how much they're willing to pay.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 19 Jul 2011, 11:43

tderias wrote:
iceman1 wrote:
tderias wrote:
Hah how'd you know about him? When it comes down to it, arabic commentary just downright sucks. He's not bad, but it's nothing compared to listening to Brundle and DC. I watch the races on TV only because my internet connection doesnt allow proper streaming of good quality BBC Feed. Then I just come here and download the full races in lovely BBC Coverage, which, I have to say, some people take for granted :p
Do you know Mr. Khodr Rawi? :p

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 19 Jul 2011, 17:06

iceman1 wrote:
tderias wrote:
iceman1 wrote:
tderias wrote:
i have heard him, he is a very poor commentator and gets many things wrong. For example when hamilton overtook massa on last lap, he said schumacher and raikonnen were fighting for position :blink:, totally wrong there. When Khodr's co -commentator heard him, they immediately switched to unscheduled ads (i guess he had a talk to) :n

tderias
PL Manager
PL Manager

Post by tderias » 19 Jul 2011, 18:28

iceman1 wrote:
tderias wrote:
iceman1 wrote:
tderias wrote:

Nop. Which channel is he on? I've been listening to Ayman since I can remember :)

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 20 Jul 2011, 17:19

tderias wrote:
Nop. Which channel is he on? I've been listening to Ayman since I can remember :)
Listen to him and you might hear F1Zone/F1arab on Abu dhabi Sports :)

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 21 Jul 2011, 01:21

iceman1 wrote:
tderias wrote:
Listen to him and you might hear F1Zone/F1arab on Abu dhabi Sports :)

so "HE" actually commentates?