Rally Jordan 2011

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Rally Jordan 2011

Post by sleenster » 07 Apr 2011, 17:21

Rally Jordan, IRC and F1 clashes in the same weekend! Eeek!

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Rally News

Post by Mar » 08 Apr 2011, 15:13

Recce for Jordan has been postponed because the material is not there yet:
http://www.autohebdo.fr/rallye/wrc/brev ... -reportees

I already heard rumours yesterday about that. What I heard is that the ship with the recce cars should have left to Jordan yesterday and it couldn't. No recce cars, no recce.
I also heard that this may affect shakedown, it could even be cancelled. I have no confirmation about this, though.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 08 Apr 2011, 15:44

Jordan recce delayed by boat issue

By David Evans
Friday, April 8th 2011, 14:05 GMT

The recce for next week's Jordan Rally has had to be put back by a day due to the boat transporting all the equipment arriving later than expected.

The logistics of the World Rally Championship's move from Portugal to the next round in Jordan had to be tweaked at the last minute due to the political unrest in Syria.

The trucks had originally been booked on a boat from Venice to the port of Tartous in Syria. Those plans were changed last week, when a boat was found to take the kit from Trieste to Haifa in Israel instead.

The boat has now been delayed at sea and will dock a day later than originally expected, on Monday rather than Sunday. The organisers immediately decided to move the recce, which should have started on Monday, back by a day. It is hoped this will not affect the event itself.

A WRC source said: "This is unfortunate. All we know is that the boat won't be there until Monday and the recce is supposed to start that day. The concern now is that the boat might not get processed in the port as quickly as we would like. We don't know this port well at all, we've been into Jordan through Aqaba previously. We'll have to see."

Shakedown for the event is now expected to run on Wednesday evening.

Ford driver Mikko Hirvonen said: "I don't mind, it means we get a day off on Monday! I don't think it's going to affect anything too much. The recce will still happen.

"It's better to wait for the recce cars, I don't think there are really enough [Group N recce] cars to hire privately for the teams to go without their own."

The recce for the Cyprus Rally was hit by a delayed boat in 2005. At that time, the teams were forced to hire Group N cars in Limassol for their crews to complete their two practice runs at the stages.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90538

zoefrances
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by zoefrances » 08 Apr 2011, 16:54

thank you for the info sleenster. lets hope everything gets there ok.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 08 Apr 2011, 17:21

Recce+shakedown is on Wednesday now
Rally Jordan WRC
  • Round: 4/13
  • Base: Dead Sea
  • Service park: Dead Sea Service Park
  • Surface: gravel
  • Weather: temperatures from 10 to 30°C. Dry climate
  • Sunrise/sunset on the first day of the rally: 6h02 / 19h11
  • Local time: GMT+3 (summer time) one hour less than in Paris
  • Currency: The local currency is the Jordinian Dinar 1 JD ≈ 1 €
  • Internet site http://www.jordanrally.com
  • Technical information: the spare parts (frontand rear sub frames, steering boxes, turbochargers, gearboxes, front and rear differentials) are marked and used with Rally Argentina
  • Tyres: 36 hard gravel Michelin tyres.
  • Reconnaissance: from Tuesday 12th April at 0800 to Wednesday 13th April at 1330
  • Shakedown: Wednesday 13th April from 1500 on a 2,05 km stage 7,45 km from the service park
  • Press conference: Wednesday 13th April at 1700 at the Service Park
  • Start: Thursday 14th April at 7h00, exit from the service park
  • Itinerary: 1008,89 km, including 333,04 timed. 20 stages (10 different)
  • Podium: Saturday 16th April at 16h30, service park
  • Final Press conference: Saturday 16th April at 17h15, Media Centre

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 08 Apr 2011, 18:15

thanks for the info sleeny :hug:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 08 Apr 2011, 19:17

JORDAN RALLY WRC 2011 - PREVIEW KIMI RAIKKONEN

All three crews – Petter Solberg/ Chris Patterson (Petter Solberg World Rally Team), Kimi Räikkönen/Kaj Lindström (Ice 1 Racing) and Peter van Merksteijn Jr./Eddy Chevailllier (Van Merksteijn Motorsport) – have different objectives but they share the same goal of wanting to make the most of the DS3 WRC’s strengths on the shores of the Dead Sea.

Three weeks after the Rally of Portugal, the FIA World Rally Championship is striking out into new territory. As the Head of Citroën Racing Technologies Benoit Nogier points out:

“The calendar and the logistical constraints surrounding the journey to the Middle East have forced a fairly frantic pace upon us since we finished the Rally of Portugal. As soon as our DS3 WRCs got back to the factory, we stripped them down straight away in order to leave for Jordan in time.”

The tight schedule meant that there was no possibility to organise a test to prepare for the rally.

“We would have liked to have tested the new tyres that we will use in Jordan,” added Nogier. “Like the factory teams, we will benefit from an evolution of the Michelin Latitude Cross tyres, which have been designed to be stronger. This means that the shakedown will be vital for us in terms of gathering information. The drivers will need to adapt themselves very quickly to these new developments.”

Petter Solberg (Petter Solberg World Rally Team) has finished the first three events of this year in the points, but he has felt frustrated by not being as far up the order as he would have liked.

The Norwegian is hoping to turn the tide in Jordan and fight for his 14th victory at World Championship level. The 2003 World Champion, who has been the best performer since the start of the year thanks to 16 fastest stage times over the three rounds held so far, was on the podium in Jordan last year.

Petter, currently fifth in the World Championship rankings, will at least benefit from an advantageous road position on the first day.

Kimi Räikkönen (Ice 1 Racing) is taking part in the Jordan Rally for the second consecutive time. In 2010, the Finn scored his very first World Rally Championship points there after a mistake-free rally. This year, the Ice 1 Racing driver is going to try to get close to the fastest times again over the rapid desert stages. His first gravel rally driving the Citroën DS3 WRC ended up with an encouraging seventh overall in Portugal, so Kimi is now hoping to move gradually closer to the top five on merit.

Peter van Merksteijn Jr (Van Merksteijn Motorsport) got to know the team during his first rally with Citroën in Portugal, and his aim in Jordan is to continue his steep learning curve with the DS3 WRC.

On terrain that is totally different to the Algarve and brand new for the young Dutchman, he will have to avoid several deceptive hazards in order to continue building up vital knowledge. Once more he is able to rely upon the experience of his co-driver, Eddy Chevailler, to help him make progress on the demanding stages of the Jordan Rally.
http://www.redbullrally.com/index.php?id=390

Claudie_Schnaudie
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Claudie_Schnaudie » 09 Apr 2011, 04:53

sleenster wrote:

Ford driver Mikko Hirvonen said: "I don't mind, it means we get a day off on Monday!
One day more for Kimi to sleep, sleep, sleep :)

Thanks for all the news :hug:
Kimi Kimi gimme just a little smile :)

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 10 Apr 2011, 11:03

Armchair Guide to Rally Jordan 2011

The fourth round of this year's World Rally Championship (WRC) sees the teams head to the Middle East for the Jordan Rally (14 - 16 April), which is based on the arid shores of the Dead Sea, 420 metres below sea level, and the desert conditions encountered are unique to the series.

The Ford, Citroën and Petter Solberg teams, along with the NorthOne Sport vehicles, had to take a revised route to reach Jordan without travelling though Syria, the scene of severe political unrest recently. The transport vehicles travelled directly from Faro, base of the previous round in Portugal, to Trieste in Italy. From there they journeyed by sea to Haifa in Israel, before completing the journey to the Dead Sea by road. The competition cars were transported to Luxembourg before being flown directly to Amman.

There are few changes from last year, with the Dead Sea service park again used as the hub of the event. Most stages are fully or partially below sea level west and south of the capital city of Amman. The main change is the reintroduction to the first leg of the twisty Ma'in stage, which takes competitors up to 600 metres on newly-built roads. After a start ceremony on Thursday morning in the stunning former Roman city of Jerash, the route passes through many historical and biblical sites in the Jordan Valley.

All 10 stages will be used twice and the second leg contains the marathon 41.45km Jordan River test, a twisty stretch of road which runs north to south through 'no man's land' alongside the border between Jordan and Israel. Drivers tackle 20 stages covering 333.04km in a route of 1008.89km, of which 33 per cent is competitive.
http://www.rallybuzz.com/wrc-rally-jord ... preview-4/

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 10 Apr 2011, 14:13

Claudie_Schnaudie wrote:
sleenster wrote:

Ford driver Mikko Hirvonen said: "I don't mind, it means we get a day off on Monday!
One day more for Kimi to sleep, sleep, sleep :)

Thanks for all the news :hug:
+1

kaj told to MTV3 that they are going to fly to jordan on monday and then do a longer recce day on Tuesday to have time with everything on wendsday ...

have anybody seen who is in the wendsday pressconference? Looked for the info but didnt find it...

sad that they couldnt test th car between portugal and jordan... hopefully they get the right setups in the shakedown...

and have o say that the nascar rollercoaster did definitely make the time between these two rallyes go very, very fast... (I so have pages to cache up in th nascar thread) :lol:

Claudie_Schnaudie
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Claudie_Schnaudie » 10 Apr 2011, 14:19

I thought Kimi was already at Jordan? :)
Kimi Kimi gimme just a little smile :)

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 10 Apr 2011, 17:29

More problems for Jordan Rally. There's a new delay in the ship.

This is a post by Diego Vallejo (he was Dani Sordo’s co-driver last season and is co-driving Albert Llovera this year) in a Spanish forum less than an hour ago:
Hola a todos, ya estoy en Jordania con Albert. Tenemos otra vez retraso en el barco (ha roto un motor) y están buscando una solución que pasa por alquilarnos coches... para nosotros es una faena porque nos harán ir con un conductor: Albert dictando y yo anotando detrás!!... así hicimos Azores 2008 y no nos salió mal... así que a ver.
Si tengo tiempo os voy informando, también podéis entrar en el facebook Vallejo racing rallyes.
Saludos,
Diego.
Translation:
Hello everyone, I’m already in Jordan with Albert. The ship has a new delay (it broke a motor) and they’re searching for a solution: to rent us cars. For us, it is annoying because we will be obliged to drive with a chófer: Albert telling the notes and me writing them in the car’s back!! That’s how we did it in Azores 2008 and we did well, so let’s wait and see. If I have some free time, I will keep you informed. You guys can also go to facebook “Vallejo racing rallyes”.

Greetings,

Diego.

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 10 Apr 2011, 18:04

Claudie_Schnaudie wrote:I thought Kimi was already at Jordan? :)
isnt Kimi usually one of the latest to arrive... remember last year Mark Arnell (i think?) explained that they usually arrive on either sunday evening or monday in the beginning of the day... for instance to Japan they arrived on monday ... when the recce started on tuesday... so he is in normal schedule :lol:

here is the article i google translated: http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/ralli/uutise ... t-ennenkin

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 10 Apr 2011, 18:10

Mar wrote:More problems for Jordan Rally. There's a new delay in the ship.

This is a post by Diego Vallejo (he was Dani Sordo’s co-driver last season and is co-driving Albert Llovera this year) in a Spanish forum less than an hour ago:
Hola a todos, ya estoy en Jordania con Albert. Tenemos otra vez retraso en el barco (ha roto un motor) y están buscando una solución que pasa por alquilarnos coches... para nosotros es una faena porque nos harán ir con un conductor: Albert dictando y yo anotando detrás!!... así hicimos Azores 2008 y no nos salió mal... así que a ver.
Si tengo tiempo os voy informando, también podéis entrar en el facebook Vallejo racing rallyes.
Saludos,
Diego.
Translation:
Hello everyone, I’m already in Jordan with Albert. The ship has a new delay (it broke a motor) and they’re searching for a solution: to rent us cars. For us, it is annoying because we will be obliged to drive with a chófer: Albert telling the notes and me writing them in the car’s back!! That’s how we did it in Azores 2008 and we did well, so let’s wait and see. If I have some free time, I will keep you informed. You guys can also go to facebook “Vallejo racing rallyes”.

Greetings,

Diego.
oh, dear... more problems with the boat...

can somebody explain why they cant just go and hire a civilcar and drive for themself... ????? why on earth do they need a chauffeur if they have a civil car and not their reccecar???? :huh:

In that article i posted Kaj mentioned that this had happened before and then they just used a civilcar till they got their reccecar a half day too late...

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 10 Apr 2011, 18:22

Julia wrote: oh, dear... more problems with the boat...

can somebody explain why they cant just go and hire a civilcar and drive for themself... ????? why on earth do they need a chauffeur if they have a civil car and not their reccecar???? :huh:

In that article i posted Kaj mentioned that this had happened before and then they just used a civilcar till they got their reccecar a half day too late...
Now that I think about it (I had totally forgotten it), Albert Llovera needs a special car (he sits in a wheelchair) and can't drive a rental car. Vallejo can't do it because he has to write the notes down. I think that's the reason.

There's a new message from Diego:
A ver mañana que nos dicen, pero parece que de dos motores el barco ha roto uno (seguro que por darle caña para llegar mañana...) y va con el otro, lento, lento. En principio llega el martes tarde.
Saludos.
Translation:
Let’s see what we’re told tomorrow, but it seems that one of the two motors of the ship has broken down (provably while trying to go fast to arrive tomorrow) and it is sailing with the other one, slowly, slowly. In principle, it will arrive on Tuesday afternoon/evening.
Greetings