The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Vida
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Post by Vida » 29 Mar 2011, 14:27

i really dont like this

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 29 Mar 2011, 14:31

Nothing new in this article really...
Raikkonen to compete in NASCAR

Former Formula 1 world champion Kimi Raikkonen will make a surprising move to NASCAR this year, the Finn joining the series with a new team.

According to the Turun Sanomat newspaper, Raikkonen - the 2007 world champion - will be racing with the new ICE1 Racing team in the Truck series before moving on to the Nationwide and Sprint Cup series.

He is expected to join the championship from this summer, although no dates are yet confirmed.

Raikkonen will be joining forces with Foster Gillett, who will be a major partner of the team, having worked with Richard Petty Motorsport in NASCAR last year.

Foster's family owned the Montreal Canadiens' NHL franchise and are also former co-owners of the Liverpool football club.

"I'm really looking forward to get there to familiarise to the world of NASCAR," Raikkonen was quoted as saying by Turun Sanomat.

"I have been following it for a long time. I know, it's a very tough and open top racing series. I just love the American spirit of racing. It feels just great to get involved with that. Obviously, it will be very challenging and great fun for me."

According to the newspaper, the negotiations about which car the ICE1 Racing team will run are about to be completed.

Raikkonen will continue to compete in the World Rally Championship this year, where he has a deal for eight events.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90331

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 29 Mar 2011, 14:32

I'm still refusing to believe this is really true :p I'm still in denial :lol:

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 29 Mar 2011, 14:39

sleenster wrote:I'm still refusing to believe this is really true :p I'm still in denial :lol:
I know the feeling. This can't be true!
I have to prepare my lecture for tomorrow and I can't concentrate at all :fear: , I'm just searching for the news where it says that this information was due to April 1st.

Vida
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Vida » 29 Mar 2011, 14:42

sleenster wrote:I'm still refusing to believe this is really true :p I'm still in denial :lol:
please let it be an april fool

mimozka
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by mimozka » 29 Mar 2011, 14:48

Stupid decision, Kimi

Vers
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Vers » 29 Mar 2011, 15:25

mimozka wrote:Stupid decision, Kimi
Why?

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 29 Mar 2011, 15:30

strange :huh:

the only good thing about it that we can see him driving :cool:

so that visit last year wasn't for fun

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 29 Mar 2011, 15:32

But seriously, did he choose to do fewer rallies so that he can take part in NASCAR? The thought of that annoys me greatly :<>:

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 29 Mar 2011, 15:37

Former F1 Champ Kimi Raikkonen To NASCAR ...With Foster Gillett?
by Jeff Gluck • Mar 29, 2011 10:27 AM EDT

As Eminem once sang: Guess who's back? Back again. Shady's back. Tell a friend.

Of course, the "Shady" that Eminem was referring to in that song was himself. But the lyrics could also apply to none other than Foster Gillett, who is reportedly involved in a deal to bring ex-Formula One champ Kimi Raikkonen to NASCAR.

Autosport posted a report on Tuesday morning that said Raikkonen is interested in NASCAR...with Gillett on board with the new ICE1 Racing team as a "major partner."

Gillett is the son of George Gillett, and exited NASCAR under dubious circumstances after he and his family sunk Richard Petty Motorsports into financial ruin. The team was only saved from extinction when Petty found last-minute investors to step in.

The bigger headline on the world stage, though, is Raikonnen. Anyone who has won an F1 world championship qualifies as one of the world's very best drivers, and the Finland native would instantly become one of NASCAR's most talented racers – even if he's never driven on an oval.

Of course, by teaming with Gillett, he might not last very long in the sport. :huh:
http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/3/2 ... a-one-2011

why?? anyone has any idea??

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 29 Mar 2011, 15:37

sleenster wrote:But seriously, did he choose to do fewer rallies so that he can take part in NASCAR? The thought of that annoys me greatly :<>:
But the news say he's going to go to Nascar from June on and that he will also do all the rallies he had on his schedule.

From June on, he has the whole WRC calendar. The 2 rallies he's not going to take part in will take place in May.
From June on, he has 7 WRC rallies. 6 of them are in Europe, the other one is Australia. All of them mean a nice jet-lag with the US. There's Nascar every or almost every weekend.

I don't understand these news. It doesn't add up. :confused: :<>:

mimozka
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by mimozka » 29 Mar 2011, 15:40

Vers wrote:
mimozka wrote:Stupid decision, Kimi
Why?
Kimi has two years in WRC, which means 2 years of learning, getting to know the surface, the car, the team, everything and why??? to go to nascar-different driving format, where he must spend 2 years of adapting to everything and maybe when he will be experienced enough he will consider going to motogp or motocross... when you compete somewhere you do it because you want to be the winner-the world champion, why then you spend time to prepare yourself for something, when you are going to quit it??? I dont find any sense in this.

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 29 Mar 2011, 15:40

Kimi Raikkonen NASCAR Bound

2007 Formula 1 world champion Kimi Raikkonen is set to make a move to the NASCAR racing series this year, according to autosport.com.

The Finnish newspaper Turun Sanomat reports that Kimi Raikkonen will be competing with the his ICE 1 Racing team in the NASCAR Truck series before moving on to the Nationwide and Sprint Cup series.

Dates have yet to be confirmed, but the Finn is expected to join the championship from this summer.

Former Richard Petty Motorsport backer Foster Gillett will be a major partner in Raikkonen's team.

Raikkonen told Turun Sanomat: "I'm really looking forward to get there to familiarise to the world of NASCAR. I have been following it for a long time. I know, it's a very tough and open top racing series.

"I just love the American spirit of racing. It feels just great to get involved with that. Obviously, it will be very challenging and great fun for me."

Kimi Raikkonen will still contest the remaining World Rally Championship (WRC) events that he has scheduled for this year.
http://www.rallybuzz.com/kimi-raikkonen-nascar-move/

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 29 Mar 2011, 15:40

Kriss wrote:
Former F1 Champ Kimi Raikkonen To NASCAR ...With Foster Gillett?
by Jeff Gluck • Mar 29, 2011 10:27 AM EDT

As Eminem once sang: Guess who's back? Back again. Shady's back. Tell a friend.

Of course, the "Shady" that Eminem was referring to in that song was himself. But the lyrics could also apply to none other than Foster Gillett, who is reportedly involved in a deal to bring ex-Formula One champ Kimi Raikkonen to NASCAR.

Autosport posted a report on Tuesday morning that said Raikkonen is interested in NASCAR...with Gillett on board with the new ICE1 Racing team as a "major partner."

Gillett is the son of George Gillett, and exited NASCAR under dubious circumstances after he and his family sunk Richard Petty Motorsports into financial ruin. The team was only saved from extinction when Petty found last-minute investors to step in.

The bigger headline on the world stage, though, is Raikonnen. Anyone who has won an F1 world championship qualifies as one of the world's very best drivers, and the Finland native would instantly become one of NASCAR's most talented racers – even if he's never driven on an oval.

Of course, by teaming with Gillett, he might not last very long in the sport. :huh:
http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2011/3/2 ... a-one-2011

why?? anyone has any idea??
This is from OfficeLinebacker, one of the guys in the AS forum:
First off, this Gillett guy, I think he has a pretty bad reputation now in NASCAR. He's been involved in a big controversy as far as his relationship with Richard Petty, perhaps the most famous Ex-NASCAR (and by far the most successful ever), as far as not meeting financial obligations and having to declare bankruptcy. I forget the details but this is the LAST guy a newcomer to NASCAR should associate with, IMO.

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 29 Mar 2011, 15:43

thanks Mar

not very reassuring :(