Silverstone

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

Should Silverstone stay on the Calendar?

Yes
78%
No
22%

Total votes: 18

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Silverstone

Post by Bowsey » 20 Jun 2007, 17:13

Code: Select all

BRDC president Damon Hill has rejected the argument that the British government should bankroll the country’s grand prix because it has been willing to throw large amounts of public money at the 2012 Olympics.

The financing of Silverstone’s redevelopment remains crucial to the long-term future of the British GP – and, by extension, to the UK’s position as the fulcrum of the motorsport industry.

F1’s commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone has made it plain that Silverstone’s place on the calendar after the current contract expires in 2009 is contingent on an upgrade of its facilities.

In order to afford both this capital investment and the sanction fees demanded by Ecclestone’s Formula One Management company, the BRDC has put in place a ‘master plan’ whereby it will borrow against the value of the Silverstone site, which should increase if planning permission for the redevelopment plan is secured.

Even so, the money is unlikely to be available to bring Silverstone up to the lavish standard set by some of the newer F1 venues, which have relied substantially or wholly on state funding.

Some motorsport figures – including Hill’s predecessor as BRDC president Sir Jackie Stewart – have argued that the government should “put its money where its mouth is”.

Stewart and others have drawn attention to the contrast between the ever-rising bill the government is set to foot for the Olympics and its unwillingness to commit significant funds to the British GP.

But Hill, who has always been sceptical about the arguments for large-scale public subsidy, does not regard this as a valid criticism.

“I think the government would be sticking its neck out a hell of a lot to put money into what is perceived to be a very rich sport,” he said on Wednesday.

“I know people will say they can find billions for the Olympics – but that’s different, it’s the development of an inner-city area for the future as well as a sporting event.

“To me it’s a slightly different case.”

The future of the British race has often been thrown into doubt by stinging criticisms from Ecclestone and his apparent visceral dislike of the BRDC.

But Hill believes Bernie’s broadsides are partly a negotiating tactic and partly reflect a justified feeling that the BRDC has been slow to implement change in the past.

“You have to always understand that Bernie is a negotiator, and the job of F~0~M is to achieve the best rates it can for its events,” he said.

“The comments from Bernie are inevitably designed to improve his negotiating position.

“I can completely relate to what he’s saying.

“When you see the new countries that have joined Formula 1 and have fantastic facilities, great architecture – who wouldn’t want that?

“But we can only do what we can do.

“I think Bernie’s frustrated that it’s so difficult to get progress, and I can understand that,” he added.

“There are some valid criticisms that can be levelled at the BRDC – I don’t think they are beyond criticism by any means.

“There clearly need to be steps taken to allow Bernie to talk to someone who can give him the answers during contract negotiations, and we’ve now got that in place.”

To this end, Hill said the BRDC has divested itself of any role in running the commercial aspects of Silverstone.

“The BRDC are the trustees, or the guardians, of Silverstone,” he said.

“The operation is now run by Silverstone Holdings, and we have three very experienced businessmen to lead that.

“It’s quite a change in the way it’s going to operate over the next few years.”
I hope the British grand prix stays on the calendar and at Silverstone. Its such a good race track, there have been some really really good races there in the past

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 20 Jun 2007, 17:15

Yes. It should. It is the home of the British GP, no questions asked.

Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 20 Jun 2007, 17:17

It should stay... Bernie really don't get it does he, to make money you keep the history, you keep what the fans want... If he wants more then add more to the calander not keep taking them away...

ntr
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by ntr » 20 Jun 2007, 17:25

Well last year's race was one of the most boring ones of 2006 actually...so if were going to see that again then please move it to Donington or Brands Hatch where overtaking will actually happen, we don't want to

...history is important but you can't hold on to it forever just for the cause of history like we are doing with Monaco...I mean who actually thinks that race is interesting it's just a publicity parade, I just want to see some overtaking :cry:

anyway I suppose Blair is reluctant to fund f1 in britain because of that money scandal I guess he just doesn't want to be associated with Bernie :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
mm tofu

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 20 Jun 2007, 17:38

2006 was an anomaly!! Remember 1998, Schumacher winning in the pits. And 2003, a weird priest in a kilt running down hangar strait. Classic!! Also that year Rubens pulled a stella move on Kimi. And the time Mansell came from 20 odd seconds back to win! And Montoya's start in 2005. Its also where Schumacher broke his leg in 1999. the list goes on... 1995 was good too:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOHoSDrH ... er&search=
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NLE0kfjPi ... er&search=

Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 20 Jun 2007, 17:45

Yeah if your gonna be like that we should never go back to Indy after '05 :lol: one bad race doesn't mean it should go... The track is a pretty good one...

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 20 Jun 2007, 18:51

Silverstone is part of the history of F1, as is Spa, Monaco and Monza. Those tracks should never be out of the calendar.

ntr
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by ntr » 20 Jun 2007, 19:02

sure you might say 2006 was an anomaly but watch it this year it will be just as boring, i predict a mclaren 1-2 (probably a lewis one, just what we need...a brit winning at silverstone i swear JA will pee his pants :P) and since the rules for 2007 are largely unchanged, i guess we'll just have trains of cars that can't overtake forming and the only position changes happening during pitstops
Dark_Fisico wrote:Yeah if your gonna be like that we should never go back to Indy after '05 :lol: one bad race doesn't mean it should go... The track is a pretty good one...
well actually indy was er not much better in 2006 and 2007...well like most races so far bar canada, it was pretty boring, okay so there was some action in the midfield with fisico and co but i want to see the top guys racing each other aswell ...indy should go too there are a lot of better tracks in america suited for F1 style racing...like Laguna Seca, the motogp race there last year was fun...why can't f1 be fun :cry:

i say build more tracks like turkey :cheesy:
oh well i'm used to being the naysayer :lol:
mm tofu

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 20 Jun 2007, 19:43

alex wrote:a lewis one, just what we need...a brit winning at silverstone i swear JA will pee his pants :P)
True! Yellow_Colorz_PDT_03 Yellow_Colorz_PDT_03 Yellow_Colorz_PDT_03 Yellow_Colorz_PDT_03 Yellow_Colorz_PDT_03

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re:

Post by Bowsey » 24 Jun 2007, 20:58

maltafan wrote:Silverstone is part of the history of F1, as is Spa, Monaco and Monza. Those tracks should never be out of the calendar.
I totally agree with you, its one of those classic circuits

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Silverstone

Post by Bowsey » 04 Jul 2007, 15:17

from itv-f1

David Coulthard has spoken out in support of Silverstone in the build-up to the British Grand Prix.

The race's future after its current contract expires in 2009 remains uncertain.

Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has long been critical of Silverstone's facilities and its owners the British Racing Drivers' Club.

But Coulthard, who won the British GP in 1999 and 2000, said that regardless of the political issues surrounding the race's future, the drivers would miss Silverstone's superbly challenging layout.

"I think the first half of the lap - through Copse, Becketts and down through Stowe - is as good as any circuit anywhere in the world," he told The Guardian newspaper.

"The second half is pretty much like anywhere else but you've obviously got to have slower sections because, if you didn't, then none of the spectators would ever see the cars."

"When I think of Silverstone, I don't think of it in terms of access or whether or not the media centre is up to scratch.

"I just regard the circuit as a unique driving challenge, every much as Monaco is in its own way."

Silverstone was the scene of the first ever world championship F1 race in 1950, and has been a regular fixture on the calendar since then, hosting every British Grand Prix since 1987.

Coulthard believes F1 would be foolish to disregard such heritage, especially as he reckons Silverstone is in better shape than many other GP venues.

"I also think that it's important to remember where Silverstone sits in the history of the sport as well as the fact that it's one of the really challenging high-speed circuits," Coulthard said.

"When people criticise the facilities at Silverstone, all I can say is that we go to Canada and Brazil - and those circuits are dumps, so I just don't get it."

formulaonemadman
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by formulaonemadman » 04 Jul 2007, 17:50

to me-its not the best in my opinion, yes it has seen some good races like 1998 but hopefully it will carry on raining in britain(first time i said that considering floods 1/2 mile from my house. then it will be good but dry and it will be a dull race
thanks shail69 for the avator!!!

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?P36

gutobr
2007 Prediction League winner
2007 Prediction League winner

Re:

Post by gutobr » 04 Jul 2007, 22:56

maltafan wrote:Silverstone is part of the history of F1, as is Spa, Monaco and Monza. Those tracks should never be out of the calendar.
This is exactly what I would like to say!:T:@

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 05 Jul 2007, 11:58

Silverstone - see you next Saturday :D :D

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Bowsey » 05 Jul 2007, 20:15

From itv-F1

New bid to secure British GP future

Two UK businessmen have submitted a joint venture proposal to Silverstone owner the British Racing Drivers' Club in the hope of securing the British Grand Prix's future.

Bill Archer, the founder and former chairman of the Focus/Wickes DIY chain, and entrepreneur Mike Rockall, whose interests include the Whittlebury Hall spa resort near Silverstone, are behind the bid.

They have proposed a partnership with the BRDC, and have pledged to do the following:

"Ensure immediate funds are available for essential improvements to Silverstone and its facilities.

"Provide the British Grand Prix with a new promoter, relieving the BRDC of the significantly increasing cost of underwriting the event.

"Protect the future financial independence and member benefits of the BRDC."

Silverstone's current contract to host the British GP expires after 2009.

The BRDC has been under pressure to find investment partners to help it make the upgrades to the track's facilities that Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has long demanded.

Last year the club's members rejected a board proposal to lease the circuit to property developer St Modwen, but the then BRDC president Sir Jackie Stewart insisted at the time that the club could not make the necessary improvements to Silverstone without assistance from outside investors.

"There will still have to be some commercial and financial alternative because we as a club are not of sufficient size, or financial strength, to develop Silverstone and maintain the British Grand Prix on our own," he said.

Archer and Rockall hope that their proposal will meet with the BRDC's approval.

"We have submitted our proposal to the board of the BRDC and we look forward to discussing it with them after what we all expect will be a successful Grand Prix weekend at Silverstone," said the entrepreneurs in a joint statement.

"The UK is the world's premier nation in the motor sport industry.

"Silverstone must be improved to the highest international standard to retain that pre-eminence.

"We are confident as experienced and successful businessmen, working in partnership with Bernie Ecclestone, F1 and the BRDC, we can open a new chapter in Silverstone's proud history."
It might be enough to save the British GP