The unlikely champions

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

The unlikely champions

Post by sdutt » 19 Feb 2011, 19:13

Almost 2 years ago, with Hamilton being crowned the F1 world champion after a season long battle with Massa, one had the feeling that the F1 world would be back to the days of Ferrari- McLaren tussles at the top of the standings at least for a few years to come. Not much was thought of the seventh placed team Red Bull and the 9th placed team Honda, even less might have been expected from a certain 2 drivers – Mark Webber and Jenson Button. This can be made justifiable because Honda always was one of the largest funded teams in the paddock and Red Bull is owned by the energy drink billionaire Dietrich Mateschitz and have arguably the best engineering brain in the F1 industry (Adrian Newey) at their service. Though Button and Webber have been appreciable respected for their driving, but most accepted that neither of them had the outright speed. With Honda pulling the plug at the end of 2008 and forcing Ross Brawn and Nick Fry to dig deep into their pockets in order to save the team. Save they did, mere weeks before the start of the 2009 F1 championship, with the new team being called Brawn GP. The rest is what one calls “history”, with Brawn GP providing the shock of the season and ending up winning both championships.
With Honda pulling the plug in 2008, all doors seemed closed for Button, and his denial to leave the team at its current state only complicated matters for him; but that proved to be a masterstroke by Jenson, as he went on to become the World Driver’s Champion, on the way surprising all in the paddock. All knew him to be very consistent and dependable as a driver, but none expected such a result at the end. Critics (which include me) still do say that he will not win another championship and the only reason he won it last time, was due to the sheer dominance of the Brawn that helped him to win; but one cant ignore the level headedness with which he approached the second half of the championship when things were not going right for him, never did one see him panic and he always seemed to be at the right place, hence delivering the title against all odds (betting ones that is).
With 2009 complete and with red Bull emerging to the fore from the mid-point of the season along with McLaren’s and Lewis Hamilton’s resurgence in the latter part of the season, one assumed that Button’s chances of another title wouldn’t be there due to the apparent lack of resources and sponsors with Brawn GP’s grasp. True to form, it was Red Bull and McLaren on top at the start of the season and the now rebadged Mercedes team (With Mercedes taking over Brawn GP) floundering in the middle of the pack; but Button was no more at Mercedes, after another surprising decision being made by the British driver to move onto McLaren to team up with Lewis Hamilton. Several people criticized Button as he had left a team fully behind him and gone to a team which was expected to be in Hamilton’s pocket, but with the full season complete, Jenson finished 5th in the championship 26 points behind Hamilton and 40 points behind eventual winner Vettel. 26 points might seem more but it is only a little more than a win away from Hamilton and he was in with a shot for the championship with 2 races to go.
Now, we move over to the Red Bull side of the pit lane. Ever since Sebastian Vettel’s triumph in a Toro Rosso at Monza, great things were expected from him, and with his promotion to Red Bull and Adrian Newey’s toy showing very strong pace during testing, all eyes were on him. True to expectations, he did deliver and was in contention for the title until the second last race. With Mark Webber having a poor string of races in the second half of the season, he was given the ‘disliked’ Number 2 driver status in the team. In his defense, Mark had broken his leg before season start and had hampered him for at least the first few races of the season, but the writing on the wall seemed clear as to who the favored son of Red Bull was going to be. With 2009 complete and red Bull looking strong once again for 2010, once again Vettel’s name was being bandied about as a possible WDC with no mention of Webber. Mark did not have a great start to the championship, but soon found his feet and soon displayed himself as a serious championship contender with 3 consecutive poles and 2 wins, the last pole at turkey perhaps not being converted to victory thanks to his teammate. From that point of the season things started going downwards for Mark with some key members of the team trying to shift the blame on Mark for the Turkey fracas followed with the team giving Mark’s front wing to Vettel during the British Grand Prix. This did not go down well with Mark, but he kept his head down and went on to win the British Grand Prix followed by the Hungarian Grand Prix two races later; hence slowly surging to the lead of the championship with 3 races to go, much largely due to his consistency (despite lack of outright speed). Could this have been his year? Or could it have been another championship for Button? With Vettel, Hamilton and Fernando Alonso mixed in the championship fight; the end result could have gone in any of these drivers favor. But alas, due to a disappointing last 3 races, Webber was robbed off championship glory by his teammate Vettel. One thing is clear in my mind though, irrespective of the end result, both Mark Webber and Jenson Button have shown that there might not be just one brand of winners in Formula 1, but there can be another…..

zoefrances
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: The unlikely champions

Post by zoefrances » 25 Feb 2011, 18:18

great article sdutt. raises lots of good points about F1 and how unpredictable it can be.
look at the 1982 F1 season keke rosberg won the title with 44 points and 1 win. I know the season was bad for accidents and deaths. F1 caan be a game of chance at times.

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 26 Feb 2011, 02:57

Thanks Zoe :). Yes i agree. Keke wasnt the fastest but still got it when needed

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 31 May 2011, 11:37

Jenson.

Who thought he wouldve been a world champion before 2009?

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 31 May 2011, 15:01

mikhailv wrote:Jenson.

i dont understand what you mean :confused:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 31 May 2011, 15:53

I maintained throughout his career that he had the ability to be a champion, although I didn't think he would have performed like he did in the first 7 races of 2009, when he was just sensational.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 31 May 2011, 19:16

sdutt wrote:

i dont understand what you mean :confused:
before the 2009 season, I dont think anyone seriously thought Jenson would be world champion when he was up against an In-form Kimi, Fernando Alonso, Lewis hamilton or an In-form Felipe Massa.

I like jenson, and was screaming the house down when he took his first win. But I always looked at him as Tin Henman. Good, but not great.

In 2009, the first 7 races he was brilliant. But the question you really have to ask, is why was he being outperformed in the second part of the season by Rubens? It was because the car lost its dominance, the talent against him wasnt good at the time. Vettel wasnt that good in 2009 and was mistake prone, where as the drivers from lewis, fernando and kimi were just sublime, and in honesty jenson's only chance to win the WDC was when the best drivers were in midfield to be honest and he took it with both hands.

Otherwise, Jenson is a great thinker, but out and out pace and controlled aggression is what he lacks. I dont see that killer instinct. I mean in monaco, he was on much fresher rubber, impressively closed down a 16 second gap in what, 3 laps? And then just sat behind fernando waiting for a mistake. Alonso said he would go for the overtake, and if he crashes then he crashes. If he doesnt, he doesnt. Jenson just doesnt have that killer inch in him. Although, Lewis let the killer inch come out too much. If it was any other track, it may have worked, wrong tactics wrong track really for lew!

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 31 May 2011, 20:27

phil1993 wrote:

I maintained throughout his career that he had the ability to be a champion, although I didn't think he would have performed like he did in the first 7 races of 2009, when he was just sensational.
2004 for him in the BAR was mighty impressive as well.
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 31 May 2011, 21:22

JoostLamers wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

2004 for him in the BAR was mighty impressive as well.
Great season, I agree.

2005 he wasnt bad either. Shame about the Imola incident, drove a fab race only to be disqualified for using Fuel as Ballast.

mikhailv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by mikhailv » 31 May 2011, 21:36

Infact, if you look at buttons stats, its really shocking. Took his 5th season to get his first podium ( Malaysia GP), he has just 9 wins to his name (9!!!!) just 34 podiums and a very, very respectable 617 points.

But I honestly thought he won more than that. then again, Hungary 06, china/australia 2010 and his 6 wins in 09. wow, cant believe that!

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 01 Jun 2011, 02:15

yes, i agree, and as i said in article, it was quite unexpected. I doubt whether he will win again, and Mark too perhaps lost his only chance last year

Kiante
car driver
car driver

Post by Kiante » 15 Jul 2011, 01:16

I was a Jacques Villieneuve fan, but I still think 1997 season was a blip in my memory. Yes, the Williams chassis was designed by Adrian Newey and the Renault engine was powerful as all hell. I still cannot believe how Villieneuve's career ended up. A man with great speed, which he possessed all his career and he pushed to the limit. It was his complete cocky and snobbish attitude which ended his relationship with Williams. Then, he decided to chase after money with BAR in 1999. Man, the car was horrible all around... Horrible understeer, aero package was horrid, Jacques was extremely complacent with development, underpowered engine with that was from freaking 1996 or 97. Let me tell you guys something, I was impressed with Villieneuve that season and how he qualified well. 8th, 7th, 9th, etc. The man started extremely well (i.e. German GP) and he would have had at least 10-1 points... If it was not for mechanical failures. This is why when Montoya was booted during 2006, it reminded me of Villieneuve's troubles and how pressure had gotten to him. He was beat by Button a "Boyband looking guy" and Massa. This is how Kubica slipped in because Nick Heidfield embarrassed him. He left F1 with his tail between his legs. Sad isn't it money and pride being his downfall, that is a true shame.