Rally News

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Rally News

Post by sleenster » 06 Jan 2011, 06:39

Sordo aims for long-term MINI future

5th January 2011
By Anthony Peacock

Dani Sordo’s deal at MINI could take him up to the end of 2013, if the German car maker takes up its option on him by September 15, 2012.

For the time being, the 27-year-old is committed to MINI for the next two years, but the possibility of a third term has already been built into the deal.

While MINI will contest a minimum of six rounds this year, Sordo and his co-driver Diego Vallejo will complete the recce of every WRC event this season that has a place on the 2012 calendar.

Sordo’s Citroen contract did not allow him to be confirmed as a MINI driver until the start of this year, although the agreement was reached at the beginning of December, after Sordo tested the Countryman WRC in Sardinia on gravel and asphalt for two days at the end of November.

Sordo will continue to carry backing from personal sponsors Santander and RACC.
http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/sord ... ni_future/

Claudie_Schnaudie
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Claudie_Schnaudie » 06 Jan 2011, 11:19

Hmm I think that Sordo would have prefered every other team but well it´s better than nothing :)
Kimi Kimi gimme just a little smile :)

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 06 Jan 2011, 11:51

I completely comply with what Sordo is doing. I have heard on Rally Radio before and i must say that Mini Team has the right intent and has the approach and ability to fight for the rally wins next season.

So in a way Sordo is very much correct in pledging his future to Mini. I can see them winning a rally soon, if not next season then season after that. And Sordo if on top of his game would very much win Rallies in coming years and perhaps would give a great fight to hirvo,latvala and ogier.
I am optimistic with sordo's approach to his career.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 06 Jan 2011, 14:27

Hanninen and Gassner for Red Bull Skoda team
06 Jan 11

The Red Bull Skoda team will return to the Super 2000 World Rally Championship this season with an all-new line-up.

Patrik Sandell, who secured second place in the inaugural SWRC standings and guided Red Bull Skoda to the FIA WRC Cup for Super 2000 Teams in 2010, has left the squad and will be replaced by Intercontinental Rally Challenge champion Juho Hanninen.

Joining Hanninen in the two-car team will be rising German star Hermann Gassner Jr, who impressed on several WRC appearances last term in a Group N4-specification Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX.

Raimund Baumschlager’s BRR operation will continue to run the Red Bull Skoda team from its base in Austria, where Baumschlager has achieved considerable success as a driver, winning his country’s domestic championship on nine occasions.

He said: “First of all, I wish to thank Skoda Motorsport and also Red Bull, our partner, for their support. We have only the best experience of cooperating with them, and they are both leaders in what they do. Juho has been one of the top drivers over the last few years, I remember him when he used to appear in PWRC - he was our toughest competitor in the battle for the championship title. At the same time, I know him as an excellent test driver and a great chap, too. I am sure that with him around we can think of the highest [positions].

“Hermann Gassner has a great opportunity to grow beside Juho and learn from him, in both tests and races. We are planning to appear in about seven events.”

Hanninen took part on two rounds of last year’s WRC. Although he retired from Vodafone Rally de Portugal, who dominated the SWRC section of Neste Oil Rally Finland after securing one of two wildcard entries to finish in ninth overall in a BRR-run Skoda.

“My target is the world championship so I’m happy to have my programme confirmed,” said the 29-year-old Finn. “My aim is to win the SWRC title, nothing else.”

Hanninen and Gassner Jr are expected to begin their SWRC campaigns on Rally Guanajuato Mexico in March.
http://www.wrc.com/news/hanninen-and-ga ... ?fid=14017

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 07 Jan 2011, 18:53

This post is not really about news but about lack of news.

When will the FIA tell which teams are participating in next season's championship? It can not take so long to write down a list with 4 teams :<>:

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 07 Jan 2011, 19:20

Mar wrote:This post is not really about news but about lack of news.

When will the FIA tell which teams are participating in next season's championship? It can not take so long to write down a list with 4 teams :<>:
mar,
that seem to have been a no-date, saw comment on it somewhere and there where just two teams registered till that first date citroen main and ford main ... but they seem to have time till march to register themselves...

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 07 Jan 2011, 20:15

Julia wrote:
Mar wrote:This post is not really about news but about lack of news.

mar,
that seem to have been a no-date, saw comment on it somewhere and there where just two teams registered till that first date citroen main and ford main ... but they seem to have time till march to register themselves...
Oh, thanks! :thumbsup:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 08 Jan 2011, 02:11

MINI WRC ‘ahead of schedule’
07 Jan 11

The development of MINI's Countryman-based World Rally Car is already ahead of schedule, according to Richard Taylor, the business development director of Prodrive, MINI's rallying partner.

Earmarked for a programme of at least six world championship rallies this season, the MINI WRC completed three significant tests in Portugal, Spain and Sardinia at the back end of 2010. It will return to mainland Europe for more testing in the coming months.

Throughout the extensive testing the MINI has not suffered any significant problems and Taylor said the Anglo-German team was delighted with progress.

“We are definitely ahead of where we thought we would be at this stage,” he said. “The car has come out of the box and worked perfectly. Not once in any of the tests has the car been unable to be driven back to service. Okay, we had a minor issue with the accident [when Markko Martin, who was testing the car, rolled], but the car was running again later that day and, like I said, it could be driven back from where it happened.”

Taylor would not be drawn on whether the positive progress with the car would bring forward the launch date for the MINI WRC.

“The launch is still on schedule for the second quarter of the year,” he said.

MINI’s WRC preparations received a boost earlier this week when Spaniard Dani Sordo signed up on a two-year deal with an option for a third term to join Briton Kris Meeke in the MINI WRC Team line-up.

Sordo took part in some of the development tests of the MINI WRC late last year and brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the MINI fold after spending four seasons as a factory Citroen driver in the world series alongside seven-time champion Sebastien Loeb. During that time, Sordo sampled Citroen’s new-for-2011 DS3 WRC, which has given him an insight into one of MINI’s rivals.
http://www.wrc.com/news/mini-wrc-ahead- ... ?fid=14019

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 08 Jan 2011, 10:41

I just have this feeling that they are sandbagging :zz:
Citroen lacking testing, team admits

7th January 2011
By Charlie Contadeli

Citroen team manager Sven Smeets has admitted the late introduction of the World Rally Car technical regulations from the FIA could hamper the early running of the DS3 WRC.

Citroen’s next generation World Rally Car only started motoring in complete form in the autumn, which meant considerably less testing than for the French firm’s previous cars. The Xsara WRC, which made its debut in 2001 only competed on four WRC events in its first year, eight the following year and a full season in 2003. The C4 which followed ran in development form throughout 2006, when Citroen was officially absent from the WRC, before Sebastien Loeb gave the C4 its debut win in Monte Carlo, 2007.

“It can be difficult because of how late the regulations were from the FIA, particularly on the engine,” said Smeets. “There just hasn’t been the time to test as much as we would have liked. There is more pressure on everybody because of this time frame. It’s not going to be how it was with C4, we had a lot of running time with that car.”
http://www.maxrally.com/news/entry/citr ... am_admits/

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 09 Jan 2011, 21:31

New Wrc Team enters 2011 FIA World Rally Champinship

FERM Power Tools are proud to announce their entry as a new team in the FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) and will make their debut at Rally Sweden next month.

FERM Power Tools World Rally Team will partner with Cumbrian-based M-Sport and will be headed by Dutchman Dennis Kuipers who will pilot the new Ford Fiesta RS WRC.

Kuipers made his debut in the WRC with M-Sport in 2010. The 25-year-old produced a series of strong results, finishing ninth at Rally of Turkey and the first Dutchman ever to score WRC driver points.

FERM Power Tools World Rally Team will register with the FIA as an official team in the WRC to compete in the FIA Manufacturers’ Championship. Kuipers will also compete in the 2011 FIA Drivers’ Championship.

FERM Power Tools is a global producer of electronic equipment and tools and they have embraced the WRC to help promote its brand and products worldwide.

There is a natural fit between the products and the WRC. The maintenance of the car during and before a WRC event is a vital part of the rally and provides FERM Power Tools with an exciting challenge. The Dutch-based company would like to share this challenge with WRC fans worldwide, their customers and staff.

FERM Power Tools World Rally Team 2011 Calendar

February 10 - 13: Rally Sweden

March 3 - 6: Rally Mexico

March 24 - 27: Rally Portugal

April 14 - 17: Jordan Rally

May 5 - 8: Rally d'Italia

June 16 - 19: Acropolis Rally

July 28 - 31: Rally Finland

August 18 - 21: Rallye Deutschland

September 29 - October 2: Rally of France

October 20 - 23: Catalunya Rally

November 10 – 13: Wales Rally GB

Dennis Kuipers said:

"I'm very happy to join the FERM Power Tools World Rally Team for 2011. 2010 was a very educational year and we had some good results with the Ford Fiesta S2000. I feel that the experience we gained with the Fiesta S2000 was excellent preparation for driving the new Ford Fiesta RS WRC. I'm really looking forward to next year.”

M-Sport Managing Director, Malcolm Wilson OBE said:

“It is a real pleasure to welcome FERM Power Tools World Rally Team into the M-Sport family and the WRC for 2011. Dennis produced a series of consistently strong results in the Ford Fiesta S2000 in 2010 and showed considerable progression throughout the year. Dennis was a joy to work with last year and I look forward to working with him and the new team for what promises to be a successful season.”
Ends
http://www.m-sport.co.uk/index.php/news ... ampionship

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 11 Jan 2011, 03:56

I thought this was an interesting read but then again I kind of have a soft spot for Dani :blush:

Google translate:
"If I have not won yet, it has been my fault"

After five years in Citroën, he has signed with Mini which will not fight for victories, "at the moment"

Many people have wondered why Dani Sordo has not won a rally yet in the WRC and he asks that same question every day. On occasion, it has reached an 'obsession'. Little friend of excuses, he admits that team orders have harmed him over the years, but immediately rectified and attributed all the blame to himself. Too obedient, good behavior has meant having to leave their team for life. Now to reinvent himself and find a new future. Mini has knocked on his door. They cannot guarantee to him, at the moment, to win that rally that he has been looking for, but he is most valued. They really have bet on the Spaniard. Especially in an era where it has become fashionable to pay to drive.

- Why Mini?
- (He thinks). I believe it is the only team that really wanted me to be with them. They were excited, although the program this year is reduced. The next will be the entire season. In addition, behind Prodrive BMW and Mini are two companies that have done a lot in the rallies.

- But is the brand's commitment serious or just a whim for a couple of years?
- I imagine that, to have approval from BMW, the project will be serious. I do not think that they want to do things by halves.

- How are you convinced?
- It was easy. The main stumbling block, at the outset, was that they were not going to participate in all the rallies in the Championship. What interested me more was to run all the tests. I can't say that the team will be less competitive than the others. For now, we are working on the car, both on the engine and the suspension, as usual when a vehicle is being developed. At Ford things were difficult, Citroën also. Mini was one of the offers that I had.

- The priority has always been to be an official driver, right?
- Yes. The important thing is to be there. Mainly, that people value your work and not be asked for money to drive.

- But the other manufacturers offered more competitive vehicles...
- In Ford I could run with a private car, in Citroën too, but by having to put in money, it no longer is the same. I have not signed for Mini because it is the only offer I had. There was no problem to raise the amount needed to run in Ford, but I think it is more interesting to drive in a team in which you are valued more as a pilot than as a 'payer'.

- Is driving a car this year that will not fight for victory a step back?
- It depends on how you look at it. One step back would be to pay to drive. Mini is a team that is less competitive, but we are speaking ahead of ourselves because we do not know how it is going to work. I cannot take a step forward because I have been working in the best team which is Citroën, with the best car and the best teammate (Loeb), who is eight times world champion More than that, it is difficult. To arrive at Mini is a different step.

- Then you have to change the 'chip' for this year ...
- Yes, mainly because, in principle, we are going to run few races. A new team, new language... Everything is different. After five years with the same people, on the one hand I feel bad but on the other, it gives you motivation.

- Will the Mini live up to the Citroën or Ford?
- If we look at the time they spent preparing their cars, Mini has less mileage. This season is going to be transitional and we will try so that everything we work on this year will bear fruit in the future.

- After five years in the World Rally Championship, many people wondered why he has not won a rally...
- That is the million dollar question. I may not have been fast enough to win. Honestly, I've had a chance, but also they have made me hold back so that Loeb won. Team orders are difficult to explain. If, like me, you have to do things like get points and you can not fail, like it or not your head does not allow you to 'pull' to one hundred percent. But I have not won yet, it has been myself. I have had 18 second positions and I do not know... Often I have laid down to the bed asking myself why. It was an obsession. At first I said, it will come, and come... But in the end, it has not arrived. It is a thorn that I have nailed that someday I hope to take it off. Now a new era begins. This year certainly will not win any, but next year, with the Mini more competitive, we'll see.

- Luis Moya says that your problem is that these years you has been too obedient ...
- Yes, I've been too good and I regret that. Perhaps I have not gone so well, but I have sinned, as Loeb has always told me, of being too good to people around the world. I like people like me, but sometimes prefer to be like Ogier (his other partner in Citroën), which does not fall well, but he'll get his own and secure victories. But I have already learned. As of now there are no teammates or friends. From today I will go with the loaded gun.

- You have already tested the car on gravel and asphalt. What do you think?
- The engine is still a little loose. It is the second evolution of five. The good news is that there will be more horse power, which is important. Now, the most important thing is the engine and suspension.

-How many rallies have been confirmed?
- All from Sardinia, which is in May, excluding Argentina and trying to do Portugal. In Sweden I will try to be on my own with a Group N.

- What is the goal for the second year?
- Trying to fight for victories. If I say the opposite it would not be right. This is what the team wants. We will try to do everything we can to get it, but does not depend on me. BMW has to make a good engine because we're still some way off, Ohlins suspension work ... There is a lot work ahead, but the people are very motivated.

- Besides, you are signing as the first pilot, right?
- Yes, of course. If there is a decision to make my opinion will be taken into account more. The best thing is that I have a project where people listen to me, value me and write down the ideas that I give them and test them.

- After the test you said that what struck you most was the car's windscreen. Was it good or bad?
- (Laughs). The car, aerodynamically, is different. Very different from the rest. It has square forms, like the old Mini. When I got inside, the first impression was that the seat was far back and the screen was completely straight at an angle of 90 degrees. Like a truck (laughs). But it is true that this was the first thing that caught my attention.

- You were involved in the development of Citroën DS3. It is very far from your new vehicle?
- Honestly, Citroën is above the Mini, but it is normal because they start the championship in Sweden. We had a year and a half working on the DS3. The Mini has only completed three days of testing. The Citroën, after three days, was not competitive. We'll see if it is when we have the same development time.

- They have signed you as a spy?
- No. Nor have I said too much, because it would not would be very ethical. I have been able to contribute to them what I felt in the Citroën, my personal feelings in the car. Technical data has not been discussed with them or among engineers.

Review of 2010

- Tell me about his last season. What has been the best and worst of 2010?
- I have many bad memories. Especially in Sweden, when I saw the engine temperature went up because we had forgotten to remove one thing. There I said: 'Earth swallow me'. Stopping at a section when fighting for the podium is not a tasty dish. Catalonia was another tough time, because I expected to be higher. Above all, on the first day. Then, on the second day all improved. The silly exit in Mexico is also another moment.

- There must have been good moments?
- I forget the good times quickly, remember more and more the bad. The truth is I do not remember any particularly positive during the entire season. Perhaps a stretch in Sweden and Finland.

- Leaving Citroën with a grudge?
- No. I go with the pain of not having won any rally. I think that Citroën has been good to me. Sure they have done something wrong, but me too. I'm going through the front door. Now, Oliver Quesnel (Citroën's boss) who has never sent me messages or e-mails, sends me more than ever. We are more friendly than before. Few people in Citroën have complaints about me. When I left, they gave me a special gift, which was the scale model of the car and a black table with the dedications of all.

- Was there a sigh of relief when you learned that Quesnel not going to be your boss?
- I believe that Quesnel has a special love for Ogier, but I cannot complain. He has been my boss for two years and I can not say anything bad. I do not know how my next boss will be. I hope that he is honest and tell me things to the face and at the exact moment, and not behind my back.

- Do you regret not having left earlier?
- No. The problem in Citroën has been Loeb, I have not been able to win against him. I do not regret not having left before. I've always been comfortable there. Also, I never had a firm offer on the table.

- And the arrival of Ogier eventually led to the passport for your departure...
- In part, yes. It is like when I first arrived in the championship with the Xsara and had some good races. In those moments, you improve because you are the "rooster". The same has happened with Ogier, but he has won rallies. He has stepped on the accelerator much more than I have.
http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/v/201101 ... 10109.html

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 11 Jan 2011, 07:35

thanks Sleen :hug:
I love Dani :)

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 11 Jan 2011, 08:06

Kriss wrote:thanks Sleen :hug:
Thanks Sleen and I like him too. :)

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 11 Jan 2011, 13:11

Kriss wrote:thanks Sleen :hug:
+1 :)
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 11 Jan 2011, 16:05

¡ay! Sleen, I had read that interview a couple of days ago and I totally forgot to post it here. Sorry!!!!! :(