Rally News

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Ice-Ludy
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Rally News

Post by Ice-Ludy » 11 Dec 2010, 16:22

I don't know if you guys have seen this but here it is the video from the FIA gala event from yesterday (December 10th), in Monaco. It's really beautiful and of course it has some Kimi moments!!! :O

WRC 2010 Highlights (FIA Gala): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cdhGTNS ... r_embedded

:shhh: :thumbsup:

http://www.rallybuzz.com/wrc-2010-video-fia/
Octeto Racing Team's Blog: http://www.octetort.com
“Even a small star shines in the darkness”

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 11 Dec 2010, 17:45

I think the DaveTV one was better :blush:

Ice-Ludy
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ice-Ludy » 11 Dec 2010, 19:43

sleenster wrote:I think the DaveTV one was better :blush:
Yeah Sleenster, the one from DaveTV was better but I this one was good also... :thumbsup:
Octeto Racing Team's Blog: http://www.octetort.com
“Even a small star shines in the darkness”

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 11 Dec 2010, 20:24

I like the FIA gala video, I used to do gymnastics and I love to see Loeb doing gymnastics-related antics. Just because of that it was worth it for me :blush: .

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 14 Dec 2010, 04:10

Prodrive could run half-a-dozen Countrymans in next season's WRC

Prodrive has revealed more details of its return to the World Rally Championship with Mini next season after it announced that a number of cars were already sold.

As many as four of the firm’s new Countryman, currently undergoing pre-season test and development work around Europe, could be run alongside the Banbury-based squad’s two factory entries in 2011.

Prodrive boss David Richards confirmed to Motorsport News that eight cars had already been sold to private entries and that some of those would be seen in the WRC.

“We’ve sold eight cars already,” he said. “I know two of them that are going to do world championship events regularly, while some of these will be in regional championships all around the world. The FIA has confirmed now that all the regional championships will run to the same specification of car next year.

“We can run four additional cars next year, together with the two works cars, at least one of which is already occupied.”

Although no team is yet confirmed to be running Minis next season, it’s believed that Production WRC champion Armando Araujo is one of the name’s in the frame.
http://www.motorstv.com/car/rally/wrc/1 ... e-richards

Did they sell one of those to Kimi? :confused:

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 14 Dec 2010, 12:03

It sounds like there would be a much better broadcasting next year. Hope it's true too :)
From Vauhdin Maailma's book by Pekka Kaidesoja (it's a book that is only sent to subscribers about motorsport year 2010)

Picture from Finland to rally friends

Currently North One Sport owns the tv-rights to rally and they are also the promotor of WRC.

For the first time broadcasting can be developed under the same roof so we have the right to expect a lot from this combination. Of course the WRC-commission and FIA have their saying too.

Today we have a respectable Finnish know-how, not just in rally but also in the sport's tv-broadcasting. The names Marko Viitanen and Jukka Lehtonen are on everybody's lips when they are planning and carrying out the international broadcasting.

Filmworks, founded by Viitanen and Lehtonen, has travelled a long way with the rally caravan in order to impress the international people of their skills. Their showings have spoken for themself and Filmworks has been in charge of WRC-serie's technical broadcasting.

- We have an extremely open and trusting relationship with the English company, all up to the top management. They listen very carefully to us and they also ask for our views. When it comes to carrying out something in practice we are part of the rally furnature in every way, Filmworks CEO Marko Viitanen says.

Viitanen started building up his relations with North One sport in the beginning of 2000.

- I saw and experienced the production development's first phases and started thinking about how this palette could best be built. I thought that I needed to make myself useful to them, Viitanen grins.

And that's what he did. He had tireless active discussions with TV-companies and presented his own ideas for others to use. The Brits' respect for the Finnish started to grow fast. Viitanen's advantage was that rally was as a sport thoroughly known to him from back in the years.

The breakthrough happened in 2006 when Filmworks won in bidding the world's most known and respected BBC. Viitanen had drafted a production model, which helped in taking a huge leap forward. North One made their choice and Filmworks has ever since been their trusteé when it comes to tv-production.

- We are in front of a big breakthrough. Live broadcasting in rally will come in 2011. This is a very important phase for us when developing the tv-product, CEO Simon Long from North One Sport says filled with enthusiasm in the sunny Rally Spain.

Long has seen many phases and he has had tough battles in the cabinets so that he could develop the tv-broadcasting. Last years minor sporting gift has also eaten up the sport's credability on tv-markets. The competition for the victory has been poor.

- It has been quite painful to sell rally as a tv-product around the world. Now the interest in rally is growing fast. New cars, new teams and live-broadcasting will bring the needed extra color to the sport, Long explains enthusiastically.

The intention is to offer a live tv-broadcasting from the last super stage in every rally. A one hour long broadcasting will show how the drivers are competing for bonus-points in a SS that will be called 'Power Stage'. Filmworks is involved in this one too.

- Next year we will get a big chunk more live-broadcasting, Viitanen reveals.

We aren't talking about anything minor, we are talking about a significant add to WRC television broadcasting.

- We need about 10 cameras and on top of that a helicopter-camera and the cameras inside the cars. Everything has to be linked into one live broadcasting, Viitanen tells.

- When talking about personnel we need about 35 professionals just for the live-production. We need over 100 000 euro per rally to create a live broadcasting, Viitanen estimates.

The tv-product has to be marketable so that they can cover the costs. The old truth about producing a rally tv-broadcasting not being easy or cheap is still true.

North One Sport trusts really much in Filmworks. As an example of this is an episode involving Rally France's live broadcasting. An Italian tv-company was supposed to take care of it but when Jo Ormston, who is in charge of WRCTV-production, didn't get clear plans and replies to his questions he called to Viitanen.

- Ormston called and asked if I can put up a plan for the next morning so that they can carry out the live broadcasting in France. I replied that I think we can manage it, Viitanen tells.

Viitanen grabbed his phone and arranged during the evening and night the equipment and the persons from Germany, France, Britain and Finland. The package was in Ormston's e-mail the next day and the live broadcasting was carried out a week later.

- The operation in France was extremely challenging since we didn't really have any time for arrangements. In this light one can be satisfied with the broadcasting, Viitanen says.

The tv-technique that Filmworks has built and keeps up has 9 editing units where the programs are put together at the place in each rally.

In addition to this they need 3 logging units so they can transfer the film material to servers that the editing units use. One unit is used when broadcasting programs through the satellites around the world.

Filmworks equippes 7 camera groups with cameras and needed additional equipments to film the rally events. They already have the ability to start HD-production.

They use trucks and cargo to bring the tv-technique to the rallies.

Next year there will be all and all about 100 persons in tv-broadcasting.
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 14 Dec 2010, 12:52

Thanks Wolfie!
sleenster wrote:
Prodrive could run half-a-dozen Countrymans in next season's WRC

Prodrive has revealed more details of its return to the World Rally Championship with Mini next season after it announced that a number of cars were already sold.

As many as four of the firm’s new Countryman, currently undergoing pre-season test and development work around Europe, could be run alongside the Banbury-based squad’s two factory entries in 2011.

Prodrive boss David Richards confirmed to Motorsport News that eight cars had already been sold to private entries and that some of those would be seen in the WRC.

“We’ve sold eight cars already,” he said. “I know two of them that are going to do world championship events regularly, while some of these will be in regional championships all around the world. The FIA has confirmed now that all the regional championships will run to the same specification of car next year.

“We can run four additional cars next year, together with the two works cars, at least one of which is already occupied.”

Although no team is yet confirmed to be running Minis next season, it’s believed that Production WRC champion Armando Araujo is one of the name’s in the frame.
http://www.motorstv.com/car/rally/wrc/1 ... e-richards

Did they sell one of those to Kimi? :confused:
According to one Argentinean guy in Forocoches, there’s a strong rumour going on there saying a Brasilian guy called Daniel Oliveira will buy/has bought one of those Minis. Let's see. But I prefer Citroën or Ford. :confused:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 14 Dec 2010, 18:55

Solberg doesn't have anything yet either :confused:
Solberg: I'll try everything I can to stay

2003 World Rally champion Petter Solberg looking to sort WRC programme for 2011 'as soon as possible'.

Petter Solberg has reiterated that he remains focused on trying to compete in the World Rally Championship next season and that he is working 'flat-out' to achieve that objective.

Solberg shone this season, and despite being a privateer, mixed it with the big boys, eventually finishing third in the championship and notching up eight podiums, including five runners-up spots.

Despite his success though – we felt he had done enough to take top spot in Crash.net's 2010 top ten World Rally drivers' ranking [see separate story - click here], he isn't in a position yet to confirm whether or not he will be back in 2011.

“I still don't have anything ready, except for the one rally with the Peugeot [in the IRC]. It is good to have something. But the World Championship is the main thing for me,” he said recently in an exclusive interview with Crash.net Radio.

“I am working on it. I hope I can get everything together in the short time we have. I want to sort it as soon as possible.

“But I haven't signed with the sponsors yet and haven't got all the things together. I am though trying everything I can. Don't worry I am flat out.”

Asked if he could take a year out from the WRC, he conceded that might happen and that he could do some circuit racing instead, although he emphasised that is not something he is considering currently.

“If I don't get all the season together, all the planning done and have a chance to fight for the victories, and get the budget, I won't have any choice - that is how it works,” he explained. “It is quite simple if you don't have the package, you do something else where they want you.

“I know for sure in Le Mans they want me. There has been interest from a couple of GT teams. It sounds and looks easier and better. Maybe I will go to America – that's another option. Honestly [though], I try this now [WRC] and then we will see.”
http://www.crash.net/world+rally/news/1 ... _stay.html

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 14 Dec 2010, 18:56

Mar wrote: According to one Argentinean guy in Forocoches, there’s a strong rumour going on there saying a Brasilian guy called Daniel Oliveira will buy/has bought one of those Minis. Let's see. But I prefer Citroën or Ford. :confused:
I prefer Citroen or Ford too but beggars can't be choosers at this point :pray:

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 14 Dec 2010, 19:04

Heres the Full interview.

WRC »Petter Solberg - PSWRT: Q&A

2003 World Rally champion Petter Solberg speaks exclusively to Crash.net Radio's Rob Wilkins.
Petter Solberg enjoyed a strong season this year and his privately entered team took the fight to the factory cars of Sebastien Loeb, Sebastien Ogier and Jari-Matti Latvala et al on more than one occasion.

Indeed such was his form, that we gave him top spot in our 2010 top ten World Rally drivers' ranking. Here the Norwegian speaks exclusively to Crash.net Radio's Rob Wilkins about the season just gone and he talks candidly about what might happen in 2011...

Crash.net:
Petter, congratulations on a great year, Crash.net recently gave you top spot in our 2010 top ten World Rally drivers' list. What do accolades like that mean to you?

Petter Solberg
It means a lot to me and it is nice to get that credit for everything we have gone through [this year]. We are pushing the limits and for me it is a very good thing personally.

Crash.net:
What you achieved this season was remarkable - third in the drivers' championship and eight podiums. Did you think you could do that at the start of the season?

PS:
To be honest, I know we are a private team, have a small budget and only have two cars - and if I had had a big accident I think the championship would have been over for me this year - but I know also that I am fast enough to do it. I would never have started it if I knew it wasn't possible to fight in the top-three. Everybody said, even my engineer, FX [François-Xavier Demaison], said it was very difficult. But I said: 'Let's try and if we can do it and prove it, it means that anything is possible'.

Crash.net:
Looking back over 2010, what would you say was the highlight?

PS:
When it started in Mexico, the first of our eight podiums - that was special. But all of the rallies have been good, except for Sweden. New Zealand we had a big, big chance of winning, like many other rallies. But it is a lot to do with strategy and politics - you know how it is. Rally GB was maybe one of the better ones this year and Spain also was very remarkable.

Crash.net:
You changed co-drivers after Portugal. How have things gelled with Chris Patterson and have you missed Phil Mills at all?

PS:
Of course I miss Phil. It is hard not to. But the job that Chris has done is unbelievable. He is a very clever guy and has really done his work properly. You need to put a lot of work and effort in. I am quite a perfectionist and want to have everything right. But he is doing a very good job and I have been very impressed with what he has done.

Crash.net:
I understand you had to fund the final couple of events out of your own pocket. How tough was it running your own team?

PS:
Like I've said before, you never know how it is going to go with the budget. When you start something though, you just have to finish it. It has been hard work and I have not been at home much. It is the same now after the rallies and we will just have to see how far we can come to get everything together [for 2011]. I still don't have anything ready, except for the one rally with the Peugeot [in the IRC]. It is good to have something.

Crash.net:
As you said, you are going to do Rallye Monte Carlo with a Peugeot 207 Super 2000. Are you looking forward to that?

PS
Very much, I like driving and I hope it will help my position with Citroen [as Citroen and Peugeot are both part of the PSA group]. It is a tough rally. But it will be good to get into a rhythm with that type of car and with the gearbox and learn to drive with a little bit less horsepower. It is a smaller car and we will run on Michelin tyres. We will have five days running and for me it is important to get some kilometres in before the proper season starts with the WRC, if I get all the deals and everything together to do that.

Crash.net:
It looks like it will be quite a competitive line-up for the Rallye Monte Carlo. What do you think you can do there?

PS:
I have been fast all year on tarmac and have fought with Sebastien [Loeb] on every rally. I can do whatever I want and Peugeot want me to win. I will do like normal and do a big push. But I will think a little bit about the strategy too through the whole rally because it is quite a tricky one.

Crash.net:
What do you think of the IRC?

PS:
It is a good class, a good system. They do good publicity for the Rallye Monte Carlo, with live coverage on the TV and stuff like that. It is very, very good how they do it. But the World Championship is the main thing for me - you have to be in the highest class and in the WRC. That is it.

Crash.net:
Can you tell us anything more about how planning is going for 2011?

PS:
I have nothing yet. I am working on it. I hope I can get everything together in the short time we have. I want to sort it as soon as possible. But I haven't signed with the sponsors yet and haven't got all the things together. I am though trying everything I can. Don't worry I am flat out.

Crash.net:
You have of course run in Citroens for the last two years, is the Citroen Junior Team still a possibility, as has been rumoured?

PS:
Well, if it is the Citroen Junior Team, they have to be responsible for absolutely everything. I cannot get my sponsors on board, if the name of the team is not the 'Petter Solberg World Rally Team'. So, if I am driving in the Citroen Junior Team they will take all of the credit and so they have to pay for everything. It is a very tricky and difficult situation.

Crash.net:
What about Ford or Mini? Is that a possibility?

PS:
Anything can happen. Honestly, I am open to anything. I have had a couple of talks with Malcolm [Wilson – Ford/M-Sport boss]. But I haven't heard anything back and it is difficult to go any further with it. I just have to work on my own thing and stick with my strategy and try and find a solution with Citroen. If I can't find one, that is it.

Crash.net:
There have been reports that you might do a season of circuit racing. Could that still happen?

PS:
Yeah, if I don't get all the season together, all the planning done and have a chance to fight for the victories, and get the budget. I won't have any choice, that is how it works. It is quite simple if you don't have the package, you do something else where they want you. I know for sure in Le Mans they want me. There has been interest from a couple of GT teams. It sounds and looks easier and better. Maybe I will go to America – that's another option. Honestly, I try this now [WRC] and then we will see.

Crash.net:
The current WRC car era ended on Wales Rally GB. How do you think the sport is looking for 2011 with the new breed of cars coming in?

PS:
I think it will be a good close fight between the manufacturers. It is easier for other manufacturers to come in because of the rule changes. Smaller cars - it is a good idea. But I think it will be much the same [still just as good to watch] – and don't worry, if I get a car, I will go absolutely mad to push! You will see people attacking.
http://www.crash.net/world+rally/interv ... rt_qa.html
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 16 Dec 2010, 06:57

According to Marca (they have the information from EFE, a news agency), Sordo will sign for Mini in January, when his contract with Citroën is over.

http://www.marca.com/2010/12/15/motor/r ... 41886.html

P.S. No time to translate it now. In case of doubt tell me and I will try to translate it later or tomorrow. Must leave now :wave:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 16 Dec 2010, 16:18

Private View of Petter Solberg's Car Collection Dec 2010 :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8J0XifGj-qk

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 16 Dec 2010, 17:32

planetmarcus tweeted:
#Wrc - Dani Sordo signed Prodrive Mini Wrc for 2011-2012 !!!! http://bit.ly/gIQDLA

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 16 Dec 2010, 17:51

Kriss wrote:planetmarcus tweeted:
#Wrc - Dani Sordo signed Prodrive Mini Wrc for 2011-2012 !!!! http://bit.ly/gIQDLA
I am happy for Sordo that he has finally zeroed down on mini. I hope he competes in the remaining rallies with some other customer cars.
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

Andreas
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Andreas » 16 Dec 2010, 18:58

Happy for Dani, but to be honest, for a top class driver like both sebs and petter jari and mikko, he is just a little bit too slow :O :(

That doesn't affect he's a nice guy!!! :D
''If i'm not good enough as I am then I don't have to be good enough at all'' - Matti Raikkonen