Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Kriss » 10 Dec 2010, 14:13

sleenster wrote:
He has the money to pay for a seat, but the question is whether he wants to and why should he? How is it possible that two world champions, Petter and Kimi, can't even find sponsors?? :huh:

Think right now the last seat in Citroen goes to whoever finds the money most quickly. Apparently Citroen want to unveil their driver lineup next Wednesday?
my last hope is Monster but Kimi was is the States weeks ago so abviously he has nothing to say about that :huh:
Petter and Kimi without a seat would be really sad :confused:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 10 Dec 2010, 14:26

Although Citroen did ask Petter to take part in Monte and that seemed like a good sign for his negotiations....I don't know if this means that it is more likely that Petter will get the seat before Kimi? :fear:

Ice-Ludy
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Ice-Ludy » 10 Dec 2010, 14:54

sleenster wrote:
Kriss wrote:thanks everyone for the news :hug:
now I'm really worried :( :fear:
I have been worrying about the R-word for a loooooong time :( :( :(
I am with you Sleenie!!! :fear: :(
Octeto Racing Team's Blog: http://www.octetort.com
“Even a small star shines in the darkness”

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 10 Dec 2010, 16:18

Oh this situation is very much the same as last year with Mclaren. The bottom line is, if this guy can find sponsors Kimi can also, on top of that Kimi has truck loads of money, if he wants to drive in WRC he will.

That being said there where rumours that Petter's sponsors were not willing to move with him to Citroen. Only one sponsor was willing to go with him, and that is not enough. On the other hand we know Petter will drive Monte Carlo, so perhaps the problem has been solved. On the otherhand Quesnel doesn't want Citroen to be associated with IRC.

As for Kimi he has been hanging around with Ken Block a lot during the year, and he was recently in the US. What might be happening is that Kimi might have signed some deal with Monster. But perhaps Kimi's Red Bull contract runs until the end of the year of something, and he cant announce it until his Red Bull contract is up.

But of course there is also the possibility that Kimi has been pretending to be looking for a contract, just to procrastinate so that he can retire quietly. Much like the way in which he left F1.

I will say this the best thing for WRC would be if Petter gets the Citroen seat, and Kimi goes to Monster Ford. If Petter doesn't get that seat the press will properly find another way to blame Kimi for it.
Last edited by Boudica on 10 Dec 2010, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 10 Dec 2010, 16:21

Boudica wrote:Oh this situation is very much the same as last year with Mclaren. The bottom line is, if this guy can find sponsors Kimi can also, on top of that Kimi has truck loads of money, he wants to drive in WRC he will.

That being said there where rumours that Petter's sponsors were not willing to move with him to Citroen. Only one sponsor was willing to go with him, and that is not enough. On the other hand we know Petter will drive Monte Carlo, so perhaps the problem has been solved. On the otherhand Quesnel doesn't want Citroen to be associated with IRC.

As for Kimi he has been hanging around with Ken Block a lot during the year, and he was recently in the US. What might be happening is that Kimi might have signed some deal with Monster. But perhaps Kimi's Red Bull contract runs until the end of the year of something, and he cant announce it until his Red Bull contract is up.

But of course there is also the possibility that Kimi has been pretending to be looking for a contract, just to procrastinate so that he can retire quietly. Much like the way in which he left F1.

I will say this the best thing for WRC would be if Petter gets the Citroen seat, and Kimi goes to Monster Ford. If Petter doesn't get that seat the press will properly find another way to blame Kimi for it.

good post :thumbsup:
at least on Monday Kimi still had a contract with Red Bull because he was wearing a RB helmet :huh:

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 10 Dec 2010, 17:07

Kriss wrote:
Boudica wrote:Oh this situation is very much the same as last year with Mclaren. The bottom line is, if this guy can find sponsors Kimi can also, on top of that Kimi has truck loads of money, he wants to drive in WRC he will.

good post :thumbsup:
at least on Monday Kimi still had a contract with Red Bull because he was wearing a RB helmet :huh:
Yes, that is exactly why I am wondering whether the problem perhaps doesn't have something to do with the fact that this Red Bull contract might be active until the end of the year or something. If Kimi goes to another energy drink sponsor it might be that they have to wait until the contract is over before announcing anything.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 10 Dec 2010, 17:10

I remember Heikki Kulta saying that Red Bull will continue to be a personal sponsor to Kimi but that doesn't involve a lot of money. DNA is a personal sponsor and apparently Kimi gets only about 40-60k from that per year. Red Bull, however, will not be paying for a car for Kimi next year so I am thinking that Kimi's sponsorship has gone from several million a year to several hundred thousand (at the most).

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 10 Dec 2010, 17:24

sleenster wrote:I remember Heikki Kulta saying that Red Bull will continue to be a personal sponsor to Kimi but that doesn't involve a lot of money. DNA is a personal sponsor and apparently Kimi gets only about 40-60k from that per year. Red Bull, however, will not be paying for a car for Kimi next year so I am thinking that Kimi's sponsorship has gone from several million a year to several hundred thousand (at the most).

it means no Monster :fear: so what's next :huh:

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 10 Dec 2010, 17:24

Boudica wrote:Oh this situation is very much the same as last year with Mclaren. The bottom line is, if this guy can find sponsors Kimi can also, on top of that Kimi has truck loads of money, if he wants to drive in WRC he will.

very well written! :thumbsup:

after looking at this new citroen guys CV (best WRC scoring 17th!) its very, very hard to believe that Quesnell would have signed him/and his father if there would be the slightest chance of both the Petter and Kimi option happening... so either of them is ruled out by now. And have to say that I little bit guessing that it is the Kimi option. If thats the case it means that Kimi has made his decision about the future and it doesn't include citroen = he thinks he has a better option somewhere else.

I'm also guessing that this new guys money is helping to fund the other CJT drivers seat (they have a history of doing it) which also would point at Petter getting a citroen seat (combined with the Petter & PSA cooperation at monte)

OK, there is the very small change that Quesnel is putting 5 citroens on the road (he has talked about it before) but, but...

there was somewhere a rumor that citroen will announce its line up next week so maybe we dont have to wait so long anymore.

there was also somewhere here news that Atkinson has signed for Proton which means that he has to be quite sure he is not going to get a monster seat... OK, monster isnt sure whith two seats but... strange that atkinson already has rule out the possibility.

but lets wait and see... but im with Boudica on that that if Kimi wants to drive WRC he will...
Last edited by Julia on 10 Dec 2010, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 10 Dec 2010, 17:27

Kriss wrote:
sleenster wrote:I remember Heikki Kulta saying that Red Bull will continue to be a personal sponsor to Kimi but that doesn't involve a lot of money. DNA is a personal sponsor and apparently Kimi gets only about 40-60k from that per year. Red Bull, however, will not be paying for a car for Kimi next year so I am thinking that Kimi's sponsorship has gone from several million a year to several hundred thousand (at the most).

Kulta writted that RB is still going to be Kimis personal sponsor if he is NOT driving for another energy drink brand... so that does not exclude Monster as an option... and I guess that if monster is offering a bigger/better sponsorship Kimi is not late to take it...
Last edited by Julia on 10 Dec 2010, 17:31, edited 2 times in total.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 10 Dec 2010, 17:28

Kriss wrote:

It doesn't rule out Monster, Heikki Kulta also said that IF Kimi switches to Monster then the personal sponsorship with Red Bull will end. I don't think Kimi has signed anything with Monster yet, so probably the Red Bull personal sponsorship is still valid.

Edit: Julia, this time you are faster than me! :)

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 10 Dec 2010, 17:31

I'm getting myself mentally prepared for KImi sitting in the sauna for a year and we will see him occasionally on some paparazzi pictures #Fear

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 10 Dec 2010, 17:35

Julia wrote: after looking at this new citroen guys CV (best WRC scoring 17th!) its very, very hard to believe that Quesnell would have signed him/and his father if there would be the slightest chance of both the Petter and Kimi option happening... so either of them is ruled out by now. And have to say that I little bit guessing that it is the Kimi option. If thats the case it means that Kimi has made his decision about the future and it doesn't include citroen = he thinks he has a better option somewhere else.
Yeah, I don't have a good feeling about that. Quesnel's first preference was to have Kimi and Petter in the CJT and I doubt he would totally blindside them by signing someone else without offering them the car first. I am thinking one of them, either Kimi or Petter might have already refused to pay for the seat (I guess we will find out who refused soon) that's why this van Merksteijn guy is getting the car.

square
kart driver
kart driver

Post by square » 10 Dec 2010, 17:38

Kriss wrote:I'm getting myself mentally prepared for KImi sitting in the sauna for a year and we will see him occasionally on some paparazzi pictures #Fear
Of him sitting in the sauna? :n
(sorry could not resist :D )

Seriously, no news for the last weeks and then out of a sudden this :confused:

Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Julia » 10 Dec 2010, 17:42

sleenster wrote:
Julia wrote: after looking at this new citroen guys CV (best WRC scoring 17th!) its very, very hard to believe that Quesnell would have signed him/and his father if there would be the slightest chance of both the Petter and Kimi option happening... so either of them is ruled out by now. And have to say that I little bit guessing that it is the Kimi option. If thats the case it means that Kimi has made his decision about the future and it doesn't include citroen = he thinks he has a better option somewhere else.
Yeah, I don't have a good feeling about that. Quesnel's first preference was to have Kimi and Petter in the CJT and I doubt he would totally blindside them by signing someone else without offering them the car first. I am thinking one of them, either Kimi or Petter might have already refused to pay for the seat (I guess we will find out who refused soon) that's why this van Merksteijn guy is getting the car.

well either way it sounds that things are moving at the moment so guess that we find out both future soon.