Engine of the Year goes to... BMW

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
reyhan
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Engine of the Year goes to... BMW

Post by reyhan » 24 Jun 2007, 12:35

This is not realy an F1 subject but I'm just wondering what you guys think:
With seven awards for four engines, BMW once again emerges as the most successful brand from the “International Engine of the Year Awards 2007”, the world’s most important engine competition. For the third time in a row, the Awards jury – consisting of 62 high-ranking international automobile journalists from 30 countries including Australia – awarded the principal prize, the highly sought-after “International Engine of the Year” to the Bavarian automobile manufacturer.

This year the trophy goes to the new BMW 3.0 litre Twin Turbo petrol engine, now fitted in all body variations of the successful BMW 3 Series. The world’s first in-line 6-cylinder engine with Twin Turbo technology also came out top in two other categories, winning the “Best New Engine of the Year 2007” and the 2.5 – 3.0 litre capacity class.

In addition to the engine’s enormous pulling power, the jury was particularly impressed by the high efficiency of the 225 kW power unit. With 9.5 litres per 100 kilometres in the BMW 335i Coupé, the average fuel consumption level based on the EU norm is extremely moderate for this performance class. The Twin Turbo achieves this mainly due to BMW High Precision Injection, the first jet-guided direct injection system ever to be produced in high-volume production. It enables a particularly precise metering of the air-fuel mixture.

Two awards were won by the V10 high-performance engine, which is to be found under the bonnet of the BMW M5 and M6. The 507bhp power package with a capacity of 5 litres received the award “Best Performance Engine of the Year” as in the last two years, and also won in the engine class over 4.0 litres capacity. In 2005 and 2006 this exceptional engine won the “International Engine of the Year” award itself. “The BMW V10 is still unsurpassed”, said jury member Jeroen Jongeneel of “De Telegraaf”.

The 2.0 – 2.5 litre Award was won by the 2.5 litre 6-cylinder petrol engine with VALVETRONIC which is used in the BMW Z4 Roadster 2.5si and X3 2.5si. With its fully variable valve control – used for the first time in 2001 and since established in millions of vehicles – the engine delivers 160 kW and founds the BMW philosophy of efficient dynamics. “You can hear the 2.5-litre engine from a long way off due to its exquisite sound”, says jury member Rogelio Rivera-Nava from Mexico. “The in-line 6-cylinder construction provides the basis for the technical purity of this most famous of all BMW engines. It is pleasure to drive it.”

And this was not the end of the prize series for BMW Group. In the 1.4-1.8 litre category the trophy jointly went to BMW Group and PSA Peugeot Citroën, the developing partners of the 1.6 litre turbo engine. It powers the MINI Cooper S with sporty 128 kW, as well as models of the developing partner in brand-specific adaption. The newly created special features of this 4-cylinder engine include the innovative Twin Scroll turbo technology and a fuel direct injection.

Over the last nine years, BMW has won over 30 of the highly sought-after “International Engine of the Year Award” trophies. This is impressive evidence of the BMW’s market leadership in the field of engine construction. Image
Last edited by reyhan on 24 Jun 2007, 16:26, edited 1 time in total.
BMW Power

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Engine of the Year goes to... BMW

Post by donald29 » 24 Jun 2007, 13:04

They often had the best engine in F1 when they supplied Williams

reyhan
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by reyhan » 24 Jun 2007, 15:49

donald29 wrote:They often had the best engine in F1 when they supplied Williams
BMW has entered a new stage of engine development when during Saturday's
qualifying for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza, the ten- cylinder units
of Ralf Schumacher and Juan Pablo Montoya passed the speed threshold of
19,000 revolutions per minute for the first time. Both drivers of the
BMW WilliamsF1 Team achieved engine performance of 19,050 revs. In BMW's
debut race at Melbourne in March 2000, marking its return to Formula
One, engine performance was clocked at 17,000 revolutions a minute.
BMW Power

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Bowsey » 25 Jun 2007, 09:33

They do have, and always have had the most powerful engine in the F1 field, closely followed by ferrari.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 25 Jun 2007, 12:16

i really don't know if it seems to matter at all 'coz this year's regulations peg the engines limited at 19000 rpm....unlike last year where some cars rev at at 21000. it all comes down to aero setups and electronics reliability. just my opinion though :D :D :D :D :D :D

reyhan
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by reyhan » 25 Jun 2007, 12:38

megasyxx wrote:i really don't know if it seems to matter at all 'coz this year's regulations peg the engines limited at 19000 rpm....unlike last year where some cars rev at at 21000. it all comes down to aero setups and electronics reliability. just my opinion though :D :D :D :D :D :D
aha, good old days... Yellow_Colorz_PDT_20
BMW Power

Ace
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Ace » 25 Jun 2007, 13:00

BMW build great engines. :)

I think that this years engines are at same level, difference could be 5-10 bhps. Every engine is limited at 19000rpms and that's it... more cruical is aero. When engine rules will be changed again, especially for 2011 with diesel-hibrid units it will be intresting to see how teams will develop that kinda engines.

There are lot od similarities between BMW and Honda. They share same politics about trasfer of tehnology from F1 to the road cars. But it is a bit wierd for me that BMW started to build turbo charged petrol engines, they were just like Honda intercessors of atmosferic non-turbo charged engines.

For those who don't know Yellow_Colorz_PDT_18 . Best success Honda have with Honda S2000 which have an atmospheric engine with 2000cc's and 240bhps. That engine was awarded as best engine in category 1.8-litre to 2-litre for 5 years in the row 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, and in 2004. Apart from that Honda have at least one awarded engine every year (but this year none:( ). Engine/car was designed by retired engineers that have build engines for 4 time champion team McLaren in 1988-1992 and for other teams in 80'ts just like champion team Williams in 1987.

Few words drom me. Yellow_Colorz_PDT_06
"I'm flattered people are comparing me with Lewis" Stirling Moss

Fik
car driver
car driver

Post by Fik » 25 Jun 2007, 15:20

Nice picture you got there for the avatar REYHAN , and I can agree with you that the BMW engines are the best, cant wait for the resoults for the new M3, thanx for the great post

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 25 Jun 2007, 15:50

FIA president Max Moseley has proposed a ‘green revolution’ for Formula 1 starting in 2011. Proposals have recently been sent to all teams outlining the changes. The current V8 2.4 litre engines are due to be scrapped in favour of more eco-friendly 2.2 litre turbo-charged V6 engines, designed to run on biofuel and developing around 770 bhp - that’s around 100 bhp less than current engines.

reyhan
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by reyhan » 25 Jun 2007, 16:38

Fik wrote:Nice picture you got there for the avatar REYHAN , and I can agree with you that the BMW engines are the best, cant wait for the resoults for the new M3, thanx for the great post
Tnx mate, I'm glad you like it, check this out:
If you didn’t know already, BMW have given the most powerful production level six-cylinder engine in the world the flick, and have gone with a V8 engine in the upcoming BMW M3.The new V8 is only a 4.0L but it is derived from the all powerful 5.0L V10 engine used in the larger M5 and M6. The reason I have so much respect for the BMW engines is simple, you can rev this new V8 to 8,400rpm and it will still want more, try that in you brand new HSV and you’ll find out how long you’ll have to wait for the tow truck.

Of course, this is no Honda engine, so you won’t have to rev the guts out of it to get the power down. BMW claims that 85% of all this power will come from just 2,000rpm. The new M3 will do the 0-100km/hr dash in 4.4 seconds, with a top speed (electronically limited) of 260km/hr.

Expect to see the coupe model first, than the convertible and sedan.

A Dyno Graph of the BMW M3 Engine:
BMW Power

formulaonemadman
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by formulaonemadman » 25 Jun 2007, 17:36

@reyhan
u must like bmw
acator and topic-i bet u will be getting a beamer when u drive unless u already drive now which means u probally got hundreds of them in a garage reving up at 1am in morning!
thanks shail69 for the avator!!!

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?P36

reyhan
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by reyhan » 25 Jun 2007, 18:47

formulaonemadman wrote:@reyhan
u must like bmw
acator and topic-i bet u will be getting a beamer when u drive unless u already drive now which means u probally got hundreds of them in a garage reving up at 1am in morning!
wow, how did you knew??? :?:
BMW Power

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 25 Jun 2007, 19:01

You can compare the datas with the BMW engines and see that in 1987 they had about the same power

Silver Shadow
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Silver Shadow » 25 Jun 2007, 21:56

I do have respect for BMW. I must admit, they started off pretty decently last year, and are capitalizing quite well this year. Let's hope that they can beat the two podiums that they achieved last year...

Klemen
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Klemen » 26 Jun 2007, 12:27

Their engines were always strong instand of 2005 as I know.