2011 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
phil1993

Re: 2011 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Post by phil1993 » 25 Nov 2010, 16:49

Red Bull Ring has been given the accreditation to host events, including Formula One.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 25 Nov 2010, 19:08

phil1993 wrote:
What is your secret for overtaking?

Kamui Kobayashi: “Because I am Japanese I have small eyes – so I can’t see the others guys.”
:::
What a driver :D I hope to see and hear more from Toshiba next year!

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 25 Nov 2010, 21:36

Great race there with Schu vs. Montoya! :D
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 26 Nov 2010, 06:31

No idea where to put this, but I thought maybe the F1 Jokes thread would be a bit too inappropriate :p
Bernie gets mugged
Four muggers attacked Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone and his partner Fabiana Flosi on Wednesday night outside his offices in Princes Gate, opposite Hyde Park. The pair were returning to the eighth floor penthouse apartment above the Formula One offices at around 10.30pm on Wednesday night. The 80-year-old was punched and kicked as the robbers stole watches and jewellery. After the attack Bernie was taken to hospital to be treated for a minor head injury and he was back at work the following morning. Police believe that the attack was carried out by a gang that has been pulling off similar attacks on the rich and famous in recent years and believe that Ecclestone was specifically targeted.
http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/11/ ... ts-mugged/

Racing boss Bernie Ecclestone 'mugged for £200,000 of jewellery' on his doorstep
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rstep.html

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 26 Nov 2010, 07:40

sleenster wrote:No idea where to put this, but I thought maybe the F1 Jokes thread would be a bit too inappropriate :p
Racing boss Bernie Ecclestone 'mugged for £200,000 of jewellery' on his doorstep
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rstep.html
Off-Topic: show
could it be Mclaren taking their money back :lol:
i hope this doesnt lead to Bernie scrapping GB now :( and hope he is fine too

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 26 Nov 2010, 16:27

Horrible cover, horrible title. I didn't think they could do worse than the 'Not in a hurry' of 2009 but they have...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 26 Nov 2010, 16:37

How come they didn't use a "finger" picture ? :p

I found this Video on youtube made by "DukeVideo"

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 26 Nov 2010, 17:53

Ricciardo to take part in FPs in 2011
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88501

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 26 Nov 2010, 18:30

sdutt wrote:
could it be Mclaren taking their money back :lol:
i hope this doesnt lead to Bernie scrapping GB now :( and hope he is fine too
In that case, McLaren will have to mug him a few more hundred times :lol:.
Bernie will be fine, he's a tough old nut to crack. A few muggers isn't going to loosen his death grip on F1 for the next few hundred years. :p

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 27 Nov 2010, 04:01

phil1993 wrote:Red Bull Ring has been given the accreditation to host events, including Formula One.

I thought I read awhile back that A1/Red Bull Ring wouldn't host F1 anytime soon, only DTM. Still, it's nice to see that one of the old great tracks has come back to life!

Maybe Red Bull will be doing some super-secret testing there :zz:
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 27 Nov 2010, 18:55

In F1 Racing this month:
Q - Who would you rather be stranded with on a desert island - Michael Schumacher or Eddie Irvine?
Rubens Barrichello - I'd kill both of them long before they had a chance to explore the island!

:lol:

syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by syncmaster » 28 Nov 2010, 17:25

karter wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Horrible cover, horrible title. I didn't think they could do worse than the 'Not in a hurry' of 2009 but they have...

great, I hope, we can download the dvd here, on the forum
Eagerly waiting for the DVD to get released
Desire has no limits

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 28 Nov 2010, 21:48

From Autosport:

Ferrari rules out kneejerk changes

By Matt Beer Sunday, November 28th 2010, 21:10 GMT

Ferrari has ruled out making any major changes to its team management in response to its defeat in this year's world championship, though it left the door open to 'minor adjustments'.

Fernando Alonso had led the standings going into the Abu Dhabi finale, but lost out to Sebastian Vettel after a disastrous strategy decision left Alonso stuck in traffic for most of the race and down in seventh at the flag.

There had been speculation in Italy that some of Ferrari's leading staff might be in the firing line as a consequence, but company president Luca di Montezemolo insisted that this would not happen.

"Changes within the team? That is not our philosophy, because for years now we have adopted a policy based on dynamic stability," he said at Valencia today.

"A few minor adjustments are possible, but no major upheaval.

"And after all, it has to be said that if we had not got it wrong with that 'penalty kick' in Abu Dhabi, today the discussion would be completely different."

Di Montezemolo also gave team boss Stefano Domenicali his full backing.

"I am very happy with the work with which Stefano Domenicali is moving us forward, with great ability, spirit and a sense of balance," said the Ferrari president.

Alonso agreed that the outcome in Abu Dhabi should not be allowed to overshadow everything else that Ferrari had achieved.

"The comeback we mounted from the mid-point of the season onwards, the way in which we all pulled together, more united than ever, is much more important," he said.

"There were races where we lost points, just as there were some where the others lost more, otherwise they would have won much earlier.

"So much has been said about Abu Dhabi, but it's easy to talk with hindsight. But I think that at Red Bull they would have made other choices after Korea for example.

"The team was very disappointed with the missed opportunity but Ferrari's great strength is that does not sink into depression because of one mistake, on the contrary, it reacts to be even more determined the following year."

I can't help thinking that Ferrari is turning back into the somewhat dysfunctional team that they had been in the late "80's through to 1996. Remember that their recent successes only started when Michael Schumacher, Jean Todt, and Ross Brawn came together in the team to make the results happen. Now that they're all gone, does Ferrari know how to run themselves anymore?
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 28 Nov 2010, 23:06

Article from Autosport Plus:
Why team orders are right for Ferrari

So, team orders failed to secure the world championship for Fernando Alonso. But neither he, nor the Ferrari team, can function happily – or truly effectively – any other way

Team orders – a sigh as Fernando Alonso was asked yet again on Thursday in Abu Dhabi: "Don't you think, Fernando, if you win the championship by less than seven points, it will be a tainted title?" In these situations he's quite amusing. As he sees the question coming – it's invariably from the British enclave – he will rest his chin on his hand, looking directly at his interrogator with a neutral expression and politely wait for the protracted, familiar sentence to finish, before saying: "No," and looking around for the next question.

Of course Fernando did not win the title, so the question never got to be asked yet again after the race. Sebastian Vettel triumphed partly because Ferrari couldn't cover the very different strategies of two title-contending Red Bulls. In other words, it was the fact that Red Bull had allowed its drivers to compete that tripped Ferrari at the final hurdle. There's a certain irony in that, you must agree.

That's not to say Ferrari's way is wrong. On the contrary, Alonso would have been even further behind in the points table without team orders. Red Bull ultimately prevailed because it had the fastest car. The way Ferrari operates its team almost overcame that.

The entity that is Ferrari needs to be led by a strong man in the driving seat. Not only because it's a relatively new group of people in the senior positions, but also because culturally it's always been like that. John Surtees, 1964 champ with Ferrari: "I found it with Moto Guzzi as well as Ferrari: you have to behave as a strong man, lead the team, then go out on the track and back it up. Then they respond to you." They've responded to Alonso, who could not have been wired-up better for that particular set of requirements.

He only works one way – central to the whole operation, an intrinsic part of it. That's why it was a disaster at McLaren; he was still delivering on-track but the internal dynamics were a fiasco, intensified by Ron Dennis trying to treat him as a young kid employee whereas he went there as a fully formed double world champion expecting to be treated as a partner in success – much like he was at Renault and as he is now at Ferrari.

Ferrari operated that way during the Schumacher years when it steamrollered everyone aside for the first half of the last decade. But between the Schumacher era and the Alonso one, it briefly became a more egalitarian operation with no difference in the opportunities provided to Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa. It sort of worked – but not to the level nor with as much certainty as during the Schuey years. Alonso's arrival and his personality has allowed the team to revert to its more natural self.

Meantime Red Bull, the Austrian soft drinks company, now has the perfect world champion for its marketing aims. Sebastian Vettel is nonetheless a sensationally good racing driver who has been caught in the middle of the conflict between those aims and those of the racing team that represents it.

In both situations, Ferrari's and Red Bull's, it has left only a small space for the other driver. Not in terms of racing hardware or available resource, but in psychological terms. Neither can feel as wanted as the guy on the other side of the same garage.

With Massa it's difficult not to feel that this situation has damaged his performances, that it's been just one challenge too many as he has returned from his injury of last year. With Mark Webber it's as if feeling he's the underdog has brought out some of his greatest performances.

It leaves each of them in a difficult position as they look to the future. There would seem to be little prospect of them finding as competitive a car elsewhere as they have been enjoying. But equally there's no prospect of them staying on anything other than their existing terms. Another Ferrari driver Eddie Irvine withstood a similar situation for four seasons before concluding: "I couldn't continue being hit over the head with a cricket bat every day any more."

Omegablue
Kart Champion
Kart Champion
Location: Heart is in Italy. Body in South Africa. Mind on another planet.

Post by Omegablue » 29 Nov 2010, 11:15

Ferrariman60 wrote: I can't help thinking that Ferrari is turning back into the somewhat dysfunctional team that they had been in the late "80's through to 1996. Remember that their recent successes only started when Michael Schumacher, Jean Todt, and Ross Brawn came together in the team to make the results happen. Now that they're all gone, does Ferrari know how to run themselves anymore?
Well lets look at some facts here before getting all alarmed...

Jean Todt came into Ferrari in 1993.

1993 - 0 wins.

1994 - 1 win (At Monza Alesi's car pathetically broke when being dropped from the jack at the pits. :fear: )

1995 - 1 win (At Monza Alesi's rear camera lost a bolt, which shot the camera into Gerhard's suspension, destroying his car, and that fallen bolt stuck in Alesi's brake ended a Ferrari 1-2).

Ross Brawn arrived with Schumey for 1996.

1996 - 3 wins. The car was still slow at most tracks and unreliable. Prop shaft falling off in Canada, and engine blew on the warm up lap at France when Schumey had pole.

1997 - 5 wins. They lead the championship and lost it through a couple of bad pit decisions, and Schumacher being the opposite of Schumacher.

1998 - 6 wins. They lost it when Schumacher rammed into Coultard when leading by almost a lap in Belgium.

1999 - 6 wins. Finally they won something. The constructors title. Still Irvine lost the title by a couple of points thanks to that wet race when the Ferrari pit crew, Brawn and Todt had a black out lapse of 20 minutes. The garage was empty when the cars needed wets.

2000 - 10 wins. Only here after 5 years did Jean Todt (8 years for him) Brawn, Martinelli, Byrne and Schumacher finally win it.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of Domecali, he lacks that cold killer managerial look like Dennis and Todt. But, in a way LDM might be right here. At the end 2008 was lost thanks to Massa at Singapore towing the fueling rig. And 2010 Barrichello in Belgium dented some potential points for Alonso on a Ferrari track, and lets not forget that aside from Germany when did Massa really aid Alonso?

As well, McLaren beneath Dennis has had some horrifying seasons as well. From 2004 to 2006 without a win. The Red Cloud curse from 2001 to 2004, and 2006... Yet they stuck with him and his results speak for himself.

In 2010 Ferrari had the car all wrong from the word go. And to win world titles two drivers supporting each other and a good overall package are needed. Ferrari didn't loose it in Dubai, they lost it somewhere before.

But lets hope that as Jean Todt and co never gave up, nor will this new team.