Rally News

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Re: Rally News

Post by beefree88 » 01 Nov 2010, 19:13

sleenster wrote:
beefree88 wrote:
sleenster wrote:
beefree88 wrote:
Dunno. Quesnel seems to be a tad over optimistic most of the time. I never catched him saying anything just to be the good guy until now. Domi on the other had proved many times that he's ready to kick you, just doesn't want to get caught doing it.
Maybe Quesnel is just smarter at covering his tracks than Domenicali... :lol:
Might be. However I won't convict him until I have a reason to do that :)
I think Quesnel could have fought to kept Dani if he wanted, he just didn't because they don't need him anymore. Citroen made a profit of 1.16 billion last year so a couple of million for a car for Dani should just be spare change for them.
I think they still need Dani. Loeb won't stay forever, and it seems Petter wants to keep his team. New guys from lower classes are a gamble. Besides as far as I know, he tested their new car, so I guess they assumed he'll stay.
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

Lunna
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lunna » 01 Nov 2010, 19:35

sleenster wrote:I think Quesnel could have fought to kept Dani if he wanted
I'm not sure... I think he has the budget and it's only for 2 cars like always. Plus Citroen is only one brand from big company PSA which have programs in WRC, IRC and Le Mans. We also should keep in mind that bulding a new car is always more expensive then old one.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 19:40

Lunna wrote:
I'm not sure... I think he has the budget and it's only for 2 cars like always. Plus Citroen is only one brand from big company PSA which have programs in WRC, IRC and Le Mans. We also should keep in mind that bulding a new car is always more expensive then old one.
They managed to give Petter Solberg a sweetheart offer, but not Dani even though Dani has some sponsorship from Santander? Something fishy is going on there.... When it comes down to it, Petter has driven better than Dani this year and taken more points off Ford than Dani. If Dani was on Ogier's pace this year, I bet that this would not have happened to Dani.

momo
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by momo » 01 Nov 2010, 20:15

Ogier lined up for Citroen DS3 outing
Next week's Wales Rally GB might bring the curtain down on Sebastien Ogier's current World Rally Championship campaign with Citroen, but the 26-year-old won't be able to put his feet up for winter just yet.

Instead, the French ace will tackle the 56th running of Rallye du Var, which takes place in his homeland from November 25-28 at the wheel of Citroen’s new DS3 R3.

And he will be under pressure to perform after Thierry Neuville, a frontrunner in this year’s Junior World Rally Championship, won the two-wheel drive division on the Rallye International du Valais in Switzerland at the weekend. Not content with his class-winning performance, Neuville also took an astonishing third overall and claimed two outright stage bests in the process.

The event, held on rain and snow-coated asphalt roads to the east of Geneva, was the final round of the European Rally Championship and Neuville was taking part to showcase the DS3 R3 to potential customers.

“The roads were really tricky and we encountered snow, a lot of damp and also some mud,” said Neuville, 22. “But we are delighted with this fantastic result and at the same time sad to get out of DS3 R3. We had a lot of fun driving it, and the car showed itself to be extremely competitive and reliable throughout the rally. We knew that we faced a tough task this weekend, thanks to the snowy and icy nature of the roads. But the work that we did during the recce was very useful.”

Based on the FIA’s new Group R3T regulations, the DS3 R3 is powered by a four-cylinder 1.6-litre THP (high pressure turbo) engine, which has been developed using the PSA production engine and puts out 210bhp through the use of competition components such as camshaft, pistons and ECU.

It uses a six-speed semi-automatic sequential gearbox similar to the one found in Citroen’s current world-beating C4 WRC.

Ogier, the winner of the world championship rallies in Portugal and Japan earlier this season, is no stranger to two-wheel drive competition having won the Junior world title in 2008 driving a front-wheel drive Citroen C2 Super 1600.
http://www.wrc.com/news/ogier-lined-up- ... ?fid=13870

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 01 Nov 2010, 20:22

sleenster wrote:
Lunna wrote:
They managed to give Petter Solberg a sweetheart offer, but not Dani even though Dani has some sponsorship from Santander? Something fishy is going on there.... When it comes down to it, Petter has driven better than Dani this year and taken more points off Ford than Dani. If Dani was on Ogier's pace this year, I bet that this would not have happened to Dani.
We don't know what kind of offer they gave Solberg, only that it's good enough for him. Besides he had the backing of the local Citroen company. I'm not sure if Dani having a better year might have change anything. Comparing him to Ogier is a bitunfair. It's a very different task to start a race with the tought of "must score points, but don't dream to be better, than the Master", than "go for it, you're the heir of the Empire".
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 20:25

Help Mar :blush: , I can't figure out what google translate is trying to say, it doesn't seem to make sense.... does it say that Dani and Citroen are staying together next season or does it say the opposite (in which case it is not anything new)

http://twitter.com/AUTONEWSVE/status/29401478480
#WRC, el piloto Dani Sordo como Citroen han anunciado que no seguirán juntos la temporada que viene por problemas económicos...
The translation comes out as:
# WRC, the Citroen driver Dani Sordo and have announced that they stay together next season due to financial problems ...

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 20:29

beefree88 wrote:
sleenster wrote:
Lunna wrote:
We don't know what kind of offer they gave Solberg, only that it's good enough for him. Besides he had the backing of the local Citroen company. I'm not sure if Dani having a better year might have change anything. Comparing him to Ogier is a bitunfair. It's a very different task to start a race with the tought of "must score points, but don't dream to be better, than the Master", than "go for it, you're the heir of the Empire".
Ogier did not start off the year as the heir of Seb 1.0, even Citroen were surprised that Ogier developed so well. Even last year Ogier was basically on Wilson's pace and Dani was a much better driver compared to Ogier last year so I'm not sure why it's not ok to make the comparison anymore? :huh:

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 01 Nov 2010, 20:34

sleenster wrote:Help Mar :blush: , I can't figure out what google translate is trying to say, it doesn't seem to make sense.... does it say that Dani and Citroen are staying together next season or does it say the opposite (in which case it is not anything new)

#WRC, el piloto Dani Sordo como Citroen han anunciado que no seguirán juntos la temporada que viene por problemas económicos...
# WRC, the Citroen driver Dani Sordo and have announced that they stay together next season due to financial problems ...
Sadly no new news.

It says that "Driver Dani Sordo and Citroën have announced they will not stay togeather next season due to financial problems..."

But don't worry, Dani is right now on his way to the UK to talk in person with Wilson :wave:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 20:37

Mar wrote:
sleenster wrote:Help Mar :blush: , I can't figure out what google translate is trying to say, it doesn't seem to make sense.... does it say that Dani and Citroen are staying together next season or does it say the opposite (in which case it is not anything new)

Sadly no new news.

It says that "Driver Dani Sordo and Citroën have announced they will not stay togeather next season due to financial problems..."

But don't worry, Dani is right now on his way to the UK to talk in person with Wilson :wave:
If Dani joins Ford, methinks Spain will have a lot more Ford fans next season :O

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 01 Nov 2010, 20:47

sleenster wrote:
Mar wrote:

Sadly no new news.

If Dani joins Ford, methinks Spain will have a lot more Ford fans next season :O
You're welcome! :)

About Ford: I suppose so! I have always preferred Ford, so in my case it would be :thumbsup:
I just don’t like the idea of watching Banco Santander people anywhere near Finnish drivers. :blush:

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 01 Nov 2010, 20:58

sleenster wrote:
beefree88 wrote:
sleenster wrote:
Lunna wrote:
Ogier did not start off the year as the heir of Seb 1.0, even Citroen were surprised that Ogier developed so well. Even last year Ogier was basically on Wilson's pace and Dani was a much better driver compared to Ogier last year so I'm not sure why it's not ok to make the comparison anymore? :huh:
Ogier is The Heir since he did set his foot there. He developed fast, and he's still developing. He's not called Seb 2.0 for nothing. However Ogier was allowed to win, which is a boost of confidence in itself. Dani ended last year with giving his chance to win to Loeb. He definitely had a setback this year. Maybe he reached his limits, but the way the team treated him definitely further hindered him.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 21:21

Mar wrote: You're welcome! :)

About Ford: I suppose so! I have always preferred Ford, so in my case it would be :thumbsup:
I just don’t like the idea of watching Banco Santander people anywhere near Finnish drivers. :blush:
I think I am willing to tolerate that as long as they are united towards a common goal - beating the Citroens. :lol:
It would be so weird to see Dani in blue overalls though :blink:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 21:24

beefree88 wrote: Ogier is The Heir since he did set his foot there. He developed fast, and he's still developing. He's not called Seb 2.0 for nothing. However Ogier was allowed to win, which is a boost of confidence in itself. Dani ended last year with giving his chance to win to Loeb. He definitely had a setback this year. Maybe he reached his limits, but the way the team treated him definitely further hindered him.
I'm just trying to imagine a scenario where for example, Dani was 2nd in the championship to Loeb and Ogier was 3rd, I think Citroen would not have gotten rid of Dani so easily. I also think it must have been humiliating for him to be demoted to the JT for the gravel rallies :(

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 01 Nov 2010, 21:47

sleenster wrote:
beefree88 wrote: Ogier is The Heir since he did set his foot there. He developed fast, and he's still developing. He's not called Seb 2.0 for nothing. However Ogier was allowed to win, which is a boost of confidence in itself. Dani ended last year with giving his chance to win to Loeb. He definitely had a setback this year. Maybe he reached his limits, but the way the team treated him definitely further hindered him.
I'm just trying to imagine a scenario where for example, Dani was 2nd in the championship to Loeb and Ogier was 3rd, I think Citroen would not have gotten rid of Dani so easily. I also think it must have been humiliating for him to be demoted to the JT for the gravel rallies :(
I think Dani's only chance for next year would have been Loeb retiring. Ogier was nurtured by them for years to be Loeb's successor. When at about the half point of the year it looked like he might leave them to Ford, they did their everything to keep him. From that time I guess Dani knew, his chances are pretty low whatever he does.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 22:01

beefree88 wrote:
sleenster wrote:
I think Dani's only chance for next year would have been Loeb retiring. Ogier was nurtured by them for years to be Loeb's successor. When at about the half point of the year it looked like he might leave them to Ford, they did their everything to keep him. From that time I guess Dani knew, his chances are pretty low whatever he does.
So Citroen's plan all along was to get rid of Dani at the end of this year regardless of how he performed? ::oops:; But what about Quesnel saying that they wanted to keep him? :confused: