Rally News

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Re: Rally News

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 12:43

The way Dani has been treated by Citroen is just ruthless.....reminds me of a certain team in F1. :zz:

Acropolis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Acropolis » 01 Nov 2010, 12:51

sleenster wrote:The way Dani has been treated by Citroen is just ruthless.....reminds me of a certain team in F1. :zz:
It makes me think the WRC isn't rosy either....

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 12:57

Acropolis wrote:
sleenster wrote:The way Dani has been treated by Citroen is just ruthless.....reminds me of a certain team in F1. :zz:
Sadly Dani has driven better than Mikko this year, he's ahead of Mikko in the championship standings and yet Ford are still being supportive of Mikko.

Lunna
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lunna » 01 Nov 2010, 13:35

sleenster wrote:
Acropolis wrote:
Sadly Dani has driven better than Mikko this year, he's ahead of Mikko in the championship standings and yet Ford are still being supportive of Mikko.
I think it's good that Ford stands by their drivers. It's just the problem that there's only 2 factory teams in WRC. I hope that in 2012 it'll be better.

rko281
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by rko281 » 01 Nov 2010, 14:00

Acropolis wrote:
no sport is, and even if most of you don't agree, 99% of the sports nowadays are business first.
A few decades ago, the situation was a bit different, but for the past years the situation changed completely.

So, it's no surprise that a big company like Ferrari agrees changing 1 year earlier a top driver with another top driver that comes also with a big sponsor, also that Citroen won't keep Sordo anymore, that drivers like Petrov can have a seat in a good F1 team and so on...

So, while supporting your drivers/athletes in different sports take this into account, no one is safe of his seat and it's no need to be "shocked" that Citroen lets Sordo go (they are not interested in putting anymore money on him, they have their future star in Ogier and for at least 1 year they'll have Loeb also). It's a business but they'll also get the results they need with Ogier.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 14:06

rko281 wrote:
Acropolis wrote:
no sport is, and even if most of you don't agree, 99% of the sports nowadays are business first.
A few decades ago, the situation was a bit different, but for the past years the situation changed completely.

So, it's no surprise that a big company like Ferrari agrees changing 1 year earlier a top driver with another top driver that comes also with a big sponsor, also that Citroen won't keep Sordo anymore, that drivers like Petrov can have a seat in a good F1 team and so on...

So, while supporting your drivers/athletes in different sports take this into account, no one is safe of his seat and it's no need to be "shocked" that Citroen lets Sordo go (they are not interested in putting anymore money on him, they have their future star in Ogier and for at least 1 year they'll have Loeb also). It's a business but they'll also get the results they need with Ogier.
Strangely (or stupidly) enough, not all teams seem to be following that business model.....

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 01 Nov 2010, 15:06

sleenster wrote:
rko281 wrote:
Acropolis wrote:

Strangely (or stupidly) enough, not all teams seem to be following that business model.....
Their situation is very different. Quesnel expressed his wish to keep Dani and Kimi, but he has to do what the company dictates. Which is ruthless, but if they want to keep their golden boy, and have only two paid driver seat, than it's kinda understandable. Ford apparently also has two factory seats, and those were filed before C let loose Dani. Ferrari got paid loads of money to break Kimi's contract, so it's no surprise they did it. What was unacceptable for me was the way they did it. They subtly and snakily pushed the blame onto Kimi, using the press against him. They caused a lot of pain to their fans and Kimi, even if he never complained, and surely never will.
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 15:32

beefree88 wrote:
sleenster wrote:
rko281 wrote:
Acropolis wrote:

Their situation is very different. Quesnel expressed his wish to keep Dani and Kimi, but he has to do what the company dictates. Which is ruthless, but if they want to keep their golden boy, and have only two paid driver seat, than it's kinda understandable. Ford apparently also has two factory seats, and those were filed before C let loose Dani. Ferrari got paid loads of money to break Kimi's contract, so it's no surprise they did it. What was unacceptable for me was the way they did it. They subtly and snakily pushed the blame onto Kimi, using the press against him. They caused a lot of pain to their fans and Kimi, even if he never complained, and surely never will.
Talk is cheap though for Quesnel. He can say as many times as he wants how much he wants Dani because it doesn't cost anything. But we will never know his true intentions and it just makes Quesnel look like a good guy. Just like how Domenicali has been saying that he talks on the phone to Kimi all the time but really, who actually believes that :zz:

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 01 Nov 2010, 15:47

sleenster wrote:
beefree88 wrote:
sleenster wrote: Strangely (or stupidly) enough, not all teams seem to be following that business model.....
Talk is cheap though for Quesnel. He can say as many times as he wants how much he wants Dani because it doesn't cost anything. But we will never know his true intentions and it just makes Quesnel look like a good guy. Just like how Domenicali has been saying that he talks on the phone to Kimi all the time but really, who actually believes that :zz:
Dunno. Quesnel seems to be a tad over optimistic most of the time. I never catched him saying anything just to be the good guy until now. Domi on the other had proved many times that he's ready to kick you, just doesn't want to get caught doing it.
"Disappointments are part of the game. It’s how you deal with them that matters"

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 15:52

beefree88 wrote:
sleenster wrote:
beefree88 wrote:
sleenster wrote: Strangely (or stupidly) enough, not all teams seem to be following that business model.....
Dunno. Quesnel seems to be a tad over optimistic most of the time. I never catched him saying anything just to be the good guy until now. Domi on the other had proved many times that he's ready to kick you, just doesn't want to get caught doing it.
Maybe Quesnel is just smarter at covering his tracks than Domenicali... :lol:

Claudie_Schnaudie
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Claudie_Schnaudie » 01 Nov 2010, 16:25

rko281 wrote:
Acropolis wrote:

+1 :)
Kimi Kimi gimme just a little smile :)

Mar
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Mar » 01 Nov 2010, 17:30

The latest rumour is that the real reason behind the current circumstances in the Sordo-Citroën affair is the withdrawal of a “certain” sponsor.

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 01 Nov 2010, 18:27

Mar wrote:The latest rumour is that the real reason behind the current circumstances in the Sordo-Citroën affair is the withdrawal of a “certain” sponsor.
Well, as I know, they sponsored the Junior Team only this year. So I'd say, the reason is that Citroen has only two factory places, and those had to be the Seb's. On the other hand SantAnder has lots of free money now that Kimi's contract expires and Alo is on his way to win the WDC.

beefree88
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by beefree88 » 01 Nov 2010, 18:34

sleenster wrote:
beefree88 wrote:
Might be. However I won't convict him until I have a reason to do that :)

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 01 Nov 2010, 18:38

beefree88 wrote:
sleenster wrote:
beefree88 wrote:
Might be. However I won't convict him until I have a reason to do that :)
I think Quesnel could have fought to kept Dani if he wanted, he just didn't because they don't need him anymore. Citroen made a profit of 1.16 billion last year so a couple of million for a car for Dani should just be spare change for them.