Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
bourbon
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by bourbon » 27 Oct 2010, 04:39

How can you not get a kick out of watching drivers like Raikkonen and Vettel? Super talented and fast. I am going to be a fan watching whether in F1, Rally or whatever. The politics make for good discussion, but in the scheme of things, they are to be ignored, lol. Now my radar includes Alguersuari as well. This kid is wild and coming still, but with that same little gift of quick - enjoying it lots watching him battle and improve in F1.
Every mile I have with the Citroen C4 WRC is giving a certain pleasure - Kimi Raikkonen
My ideal is to win the race at the slowest speed possible - Alain Prost
You should just stick with those people who are really there for you - Sebastian Vettel

SpaMaster
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by SpaMaster » 27 Oct 2010, 04:50

Julia wrote: about berger saying that on servus TV... wow fascinating... RBR are braking every management rule there is in that company... its just gets stranger and stranger.
We have to remember Berger is also a big fan of Vettel like Marko. Berger had Vettel in his team in STR.
Curious case of Kimi Raikkonen..

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 27 Oct 2010, 07:51

the same Quesnel quote
Raikkonen close to staying in rally with Citroen - boss

Kimi Raikkonen is reportedly close to deciding to stay in the world rally championship with Red Bull and Citroen next year.

After F1's world champion of 2007 quelled speculation he is looking to return to Formula One next year with Renault, Citroen's competition boss has now revealed that talks between Raikkonen and his sponsor Red Bull are well advanced.

"I know the negotiations are progressing well for Kimi to stay in the Citroen junior team," Olivier Quesnel reportedly told Autosprint magazine in Italy.

"I don't know when something will be officially announced," he acknowledged.

It had been rumoured that energy drink Red Bull's enthusiasm for the Citroen junior team project had waned.

More rumours had linked Raikkonen, 31, with a move to Ford, with funding from the Monster energy drink.
http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=392504&FS=F1

Lunna
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lunna » 27 Oct 2010, 11:09

SpaMaster wrote:I think, for a team, they would feel more proud if the weaker of the two drivers wins the championship.
But RBR isn't Williams, where sir Frank thinks that at first you need a great car and then a good driver. )))
They're actually only one F1-team which wants to rise thier own star. I also think that they care too much about Vettel (in press I mean).
Well it's intresting to see how they will behave in the last 2 races :cool:

bourbon
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by bourbon » 27 Oct 2010, 13:08

RBR is less interested in Rising their own star than in HAVING TO DO IT. You can't just boldly make statements about how they only want to "rise a star" without naming even ONE star they could have gotten other than the drivers they have. Who were they going to get? Hamilton? Alonso? Button? Schumi? They admitted they tried and couldn't get Kimi. They had no choice. Now, when they have proven to have the fastest car in a good car year, suddenly ALL the past WDC's would have definitely be interested in driving for them, but RBR didn't want any of them??? Be real. Let us not pretend they had WDC's beating down their door at the end of last season when all the contracting was done. Their ONLY options were Vettel and Webber. I think they, like many other teams, were overjoyed to have Vettel, a potential star - but that was all they were going to get.

And please give an example of how RBR care too much about Vettel, in the press. I don't think it is fair to RBR to make such a claim if it cannot be backed up. After Vettel was SECOND IN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP IN 2009 - yeah, then he got more attention from the press and RBR supported that. They should have too. What would you have them do? Try to push 4th WDC on uninterested audiences? Until a month ago, Vettel got ALL bad/negative press and Webber got ALL good/positive press - ever since Turkey. And these days, RBR has given absolutely equal treatment to its drivers in the press. So I would have to ask that you give an example of what you are talking about, because to me, that is not true at all. Like Kimi said - Vettel will win many GPs and be champion. RBR either can appreciate that or deal with the fact that other teams are ready and willing to take their hot property away.
Every mile I have with the Citroen C4 WRC is giving a certain pleasure - Kimi Raikkonen
My ideal is to win the race at the slowest speed possible - Alain Prost
You should just stick with those people who are really there for you - Sebastian Vettel

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 27 Oct 2010, 13:48

bourbon wrote:RBR is less interested in Rising their own star than in HAVING TO DO IT. You can't just boldly make statements about how they only want to "rise a star" without naming even ONE star they could have gotten other than the drivers they have. Who were they going to get? Hamilton? Alonso? Button? Schumi? They admitted they tried and couldn't get Kimi. They had no choice. Now, when they have proven to have the fastest car in a good car year, suddenly ALL the past WDC's would have definitely be interested in driving for them, but RBR didn't want any of them??? Be real. Let us not pretend they had WDC's beating down their door at the end of last season when all the contracting was done. Their ONLY options were Vettel and Webber. I think they, like many other teams, were overjoyed to have Vettel, a potential star - but that was all they were going to get.

And please give an example of how RBR care too much about Vettel, in the press. I don't think it is fair to RBR to make such a claim if it cannot be backed up. After Vettel was SECOND IN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP IN 2009 - yeah, then he got more attention from the press and RBR supported that. They should have too. What would you have them do? Try to push 4th WDC on uninterested audiences? Until a month ago, Vettel got ALL bad/negative press and Webber got ALL good/positive press - ever since Turkey. And these days, RBR has given absolutely equal treatment to its drivers in the press. So I would have to ask that you give an example of what you are talking about, because to me, that is not true at all. Like Kimi said - Vettel will win many GPs and be champion. RBR either can appreciate that or deal with the fact that other teams are ready and willing to take their hot property away.
Great post, Bourbon :shhh:

For example, I never understood why people started talking about him being the golden boy in RBR and other things? Because he was in their program like so many other drivers? It's not reason enough.

Vettel won in Monza 2008 and earned his spurs there so of course people see him as a talent but to drag it so low as to RBR favouring him when they have gone miles with giving them both equal treatment taking into consideration Mark's heavier weight and so on?

Turkey started the disaster when RBR had their view on things and Mark gave his view to the media - the damage was done both ways. Mark isn't either the first driver who doesn't get a new part but he was most outspoken about it - after first telling that he isn't that pleased with the new wing and Seb leading the championship at that point.

IF Kimi would go to RBR then it wouldn't change a thing. Mark has not been put in driver number 2 position and when he was out of the championship last year he said to the media that he will not help Seb in any way. Does that sound like a driver number 2? No.

IMO there would only be less friction and tension in any team where Kimi is and that serves the whole team. Kimi is known for only concentrating on his own job and not being interested in how his team mate is doing, better or worse.

Heikki Kulta mentioned that the British press was outraged after Turkey since they consider Mark 'their boy' and the whole escapade has been launched by the media with the help of Mark too so it's unbelievable that only RBR gets the blame and how all of a sudden the team that has always been hailed as the most equal team all of a sudden is a rotten team where Kimi would suffer. I don't believe it for a second.

Horner said right in the beginning of the season to Kulta that the boys are allowed to race as long as they give space to each other. The one who comes out first after the first corner will get the better strategy. They have to give room to each other for racing but are allowed to try and take back their place in the next corner. It was very simple and clear to me and no matter what the media writes I'm sticking with my opinion which is based upon comments pre-Turkey.
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

iffie
car driver
car driver

Post by iffie » 27 Oct 2010, 13:58

Although I thought that after Webber´s contract renewal RB is no option for Kimi in 2011, I must admit I´ve been thinking about it lately more and more. Berger´s comments on Servus TV were pretty harsh regardless of whether there is any truth in it or not. I´m starting to believe that they are really trying to shake Webber´s confidence and that he could really be ousted from the team at the end of the year.

Should this happen, then I can see Kimi taking his place. Yes, he says that he would love to stay in rally but he won´t be fighting for the championship next year anyway, all he wants right now is to learn as much as possible. So why not return to F1 and fight for titles and gain some rally experience between the F1 races and then, in 3 or 4 years commit himself completely to rally once he has learned enough to challenge the top drivers in WRC. :)

Lunna
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by Lunna » 27 Oct 2010, 14:22

bourbon wrote: So I would have to ask that you give an example of what you are talking about, because to me, that is not true at all.
OK, most of all I didn't like how Marko and then Horner at first blamed Webber for Turkey's crash in the press.

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 27 Oct 2010, 15:12

Hello Iffie and welcome to the forum :hug:

Great post :shhh:

spinster
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by spinster » 27 Oct 2010, 15:23

iffie wrote:Although I thought that after Webber´s contract renewal RB is no option for Kimi in 2011, I must admit I´ve been thinking about it lately more and more. Berger´s comments on Servus TV were pretty harsh regardless of whether there is any truth in it or not. I´m starting to believe that they are really trying to shake Webber´s confidence and that he could really be ousted from the team at the end of the year.

Should this happen, then I can see Kimi taking his place. Yes, he says that he would love to stay in rally but he won´t be fighting for the championship next year anyway, all he wants right now is to learn as much as possible. So why not return to F1 and fight for titles and gain some rally experience between the F1 races and then, in 3 or 4 years commit himself completely to rally once he has learned enough to challenge the top drivers in WRC. :)
Iffie Welcome and great first post... welcome to the group who wants him in f1...

Wolfie we're +1 :lol:
Don't dream your life...LIVE YOUR DREAMS!!!

iffie
car driver
car driver

Post by iffie » 27 Oct 2010, 15:31

Wolfie wrote:Hello Iffie and welcome to the forum :hug:

Thank you! :wave:

I really hope he comes back to F1. I mean it´s fine if he wants to keep rallying but he can continue with that even as an F1 driver. He could pick some rallies for next year and keep learning because I´m pretty sure that he won´t be championship material next year yet, so why bother with doing a complete season. In F1 there is so much he can still gain and with a few rallies in between he would profit on both fronts. He could negotiate with RB to do those rallies instead of some other PR stuff, I think everyone would be happy with that. :lol:

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 27 Oct 2010, 15:40

iffie wrote:
Wolfie wrote:Hello Iffie and welcome to the forum :hug:

Thank you! :wave:

I really hope he comes back to F1. I mean it´s fine if he wants to keep rallying but he can continue with that even as an F1 driver. He could pick some rallies for next year and keep learning because I´m pretty sure that he won´t be championship material next year yet, so why bother with doing a complete season. In F1 there is so much he can still gain and with a few rallies in between he would profit on both fronts. He could negotiate with RB to do those rallies instead of some other PR stuff, I think everyone would be happy with that. :lol:
That's so true, Iffie. Why not at least sit back and see what the new cars are like before making a deal for many years - who knows which team will be competitive and which team won't? In WRC.

Should he stay in rally then I would support him 100% but now I don't know where he is going so I'm just waiting and waiting and preparing myself for everything - except - DTM :fear:

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 27 Oct 2010, 15:41

spinster wrote:
iffie wrote:Although I thought that after Webber´s contract renewal RB is no option for Kimi in 2011, I must admit I´ve been thinking about it lately more and more. Berger´s comments on Servus TV were pretty harsh regardless of whether there is any truth in it or not. I´m starting to believe that they are really trying to shake Webber´s confidence and that he could really be ousted from the team at the end of the year.

Iffie Welcome and great first post... welcome to the group who wants him in f1...

Wolfie we're +1 :lol:
Slowly but steadily the group is growing through force-feeding :lol:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 27 Oct 2010, 16:05

Well, looks like WRC+F1 is the best compromise. Let's see if we can get Kimi to agree to that. :lol:

Hi iffie :)
Last edited by sleenster on 27 Oct 2010, 16:24, edited 2 times in total.

iffie
car driver
car driver

Post by iffie » 27 Oct 2010, 16:07

Wolfie, I´m sure that some people really want to see Kimi´s progress in rally but I´m also sure that many of those people who want Kimi to stay in WRC are just being afraid that F1 would hurt Kimi if he returned but who otherwise are not against an F1 comeback. But people shouldn´t be so overprotective, I guess.

I believe he still needs to set some things straight in F1.