2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
LiamN
kart driver
kart driver

Re: 2010 Formula 1 Season - Official Discussion Thread

Post by LiamN » 05 Oct 2010, 17:38

Comparing the points systems

For the first time in Formula 1 history, the top ten finishers all score points in 2010, with the new system replacing the top eight scheme which was in place for the previous seven seasons. GPUpdate.net's Gregory Haines takes a look at how the standings would be displayed under the preceding pair of F1 scoring systems.

Of course, knowing the scoring arrangement in mind, drivers and teams would approach entire race weekends differently – meaning that, to an extent, direct translations to the old systems are inaccurate. However, the simple conversions make for some fascinating reading…

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHAMPIONSHIP BATTLE AFTER SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

2010 system – top 10 drivers score:
25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1

1. Mark Webber – 202
2. Fernando Alonso – 191
3. Lewis Hamilton – 182
4. Sebastian Vettel – 181
5. Jenson Button – 177

(Top five separated by points margin of one race win)

2003-2009 system – top 8 drivers score:
10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1

1. Mark Webber – 80
2. Fernando Alonso – 77
3. Lewis Hamilton – 75
4. Sebastian Vettel – 74
5. Jenson Button – 72

(Top five separated by points margin of one second place)

Pre-2003 system – top 6 drivers score:
10-6-4-3-2-1

1. Mark Webber - 64
2. Fernando Alonso - 63
3. Lewis Hamilton – 59
4. Sebastian Vettel – 54
5. Jenson Button – 52

(Top five separated by points margin of one win plus one fifth place)

Proposed medals system – most wins takes title, lower places decided by points

1. Mark Webber - 4 wins, 2 second places, 2 third places)
2. Fernando Alonso - 4 wins, 2 second places, 1 third place)
3. Lewis Hamilton – 182 points, 3 wins
4. Sebastian Vettel – 181 points, 2 wins
5. Jenson Button – 177 points, 2 wins

(Note: Medals system was set to be introduced for 2009 season, although mentions of points here take into account the 2010 scoring structure)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The comparisons show that, under both of the previous two scoring systems and with four races to go, the top five would be placed in the same positions as currently.

Under the medals system suggested by Bernie Ecclestone and briefly in place before last season, Webber and Alonso would be equal on wins and second places although the Australian would lead by virtue of one more third place.

Interestingly, returning 7-time World Champion Michael Schumacher would have only scored four times this season if last year’s scoring system was in use, amassing a total of 15 points.

Under the pre-2003 system, which awarded only top six finishers and was in use for five of his title years, that figure would decrease to only three points-scoring occasions and a total of 7 points for the German.

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 05 Oct 2010, 17:43

I wish we still had 2003-09's system

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 05 Oct 2010, 18:29

anything but no medals - f1 is not olympics
every motorsport has points system so f1 must stay with points system

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 05 Oct 2010, 22:46

This system seems to have advantaged Webber most. However I'd still prefer 2003-09 system. The medal system is still an awful idea.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 06 Oct 2010, 08:28

phil1993 wrote:I wish we still had 2003-09's system
Yeah :(
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 06 Oct 2010, 11:09

I do like the 2003-2009 points system better, although the older one used until 2002 was not bad either. No matter which system ends up being used however, I feel that F1 just needs to stick with it for the long term, as they should do with other regulations. It becomes difficult to compare teams/drivers from different eras due to tremendous differences in how points were awarded.
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 09 Oct 2010, 16:04

Apparently Renault have yet to confirm to Lotus as they're concerned over the naming issues. Furthermore, its rumoured that Clive Chapman has withdrawn his support for Fernandes' team so they could be in a bugger.

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 12 Oct 2010, 04:58

Schumacher hints at car discrepancy
Michael Schumacher has hinted that his car has not always been on the same performance level as team-mate Nico Rosberg's Mercedes this season.

The seven-time world champion has endured a torrid season on his return to Formula One racing and has been consistently out-qualified and out-raced by the younger Rosberg.

And although Schumacher managed one of his better outings of the season with a sixth place finish in the Japanese Grand Prix, he indicated that there have been more problems with his car than with Rosberg's.

"The car worked great this time," Schumacher told German television channel RTL. "Unfortunately, I cannot say it has been that way at all the races.

"There have often been problems, especially on my car, in terms of the consistency, that were not always noticed from the outside. You only saw that I was slower. Both cars have not always been the same."

Mercedes' Norbert Haug did not disagree with Schumacher's claims.

"I cannot disagree with Michael. As far as the car is concerned, he is right," Haug told Bild newspaper.

noow, whats going on here :blink: . this was slightly unexpected. Am not sure whats being indicated here. Is it (this excuse) their last front for defending Michael? If they have been providing unequal cars, then its rather a disappointment

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 12 Oct 2010, 14:06

I don't know how many of you know Aki Hintsa from McLaren but this was quite interesting:

Ilta-Sanomat 9.10.2010 (paper edition)
"Kimi has to come back next year"

F1-doctor Aki Hintsa knows what F1-drivers are like.

You went to McLaren in 2003. Why?

- I was invited. I had already made co-work with Mika Häkkinen since 1988. I was Mika's personal doctor and we took care of things related to his performance level.

What is your title and job description in McLaren?

- The title is Head of Human High Performance, in other words I take care of the human top performance of the drivers and the team.

How has F1-world changed during your F1-years?

- After 10 years of experience I can say that if possible the F1-world has become even more commercial. You see it from how they choose races based upon financial matters. The old F1-culture is starting to vanish. A new commercial F1-culture is taking it's place. It's a shame for the sport.

- The focus from the sport doesn't disappear but the angle changes. Earlier perfomance was the most important thing. Now the situation is so finance driven. You really have to go digging if you want to find even an ounce of humanity.

What do they require from the drivers today?

- More and more. A F1-driver has to be physically in top form and he must be mentally extremely prepared for top perfoming. Family and friends are important. If you succeed then your group of pals grows bigger. If there's nothing then nobody cares. The difficulty is how to master the wholeness. The wholeness consists of physical training, mental resources, social frame and the work environment. Inside the team you have to master the psychodynamics so that you get the best out of yourself as a driver.

- Everybody also constantly wants a piece of the driver and that's why it's easy to lose your identity. My job is to get the boys to keep their feet on the ground aswell as hang on to their identity with teeth and nails so that they maintain their human dignity.

What has it required from you?

- I'm sitting in the same boat.

You had to move to Switzerland because of your work. What do you miss from Finland?

- The kids are the first thing that comes to my mind because they study in Finland. I also miss the silence, sauna and jumping into the lake from the sauna. When we warm up the sauna with my son Niklas we can easily talk all night.

You have earlier been in Africa making operations for free. Why?

- I was in Ethiopia for 3 years working for a developmental aid organisation. One year was right after the civil war and it was more war surgery. I also taught local doctors to perform smaller operations. I led for two years the health projects. I was in Africa two years ago but am planning to go there again. I'm in a project where African war- and aids-orphans are helped.

What made you go to developmental aid?

- As a small boy I promised God that I will go to Africa and help and I kept my promise.

You are friends with top sprinter Haile Gebreselasse. How often do you meet?

- Haile always takes good care of me when I'm in Ethiopia.

You also took Mika Häkkinen to Ethiopia back in the times. Why?

- I asked Mika to come many times and he promised to come. I doubted him and said that you are not going to go to Ethiopia. Once when I was going to Ethiopia Mika was suddenly waiting for me at the airport. I still doubted he was going step into the plane. But he did and we went to say hello to Haile.

You have brought many F1-drivers to Kuortane Sport Academy and your cottage. Why?

- We have a long working relationship with Tapio Korjus. I have many other good friends there too. Kuortane is a good place for F1-drivers just like Vierumäki is. We have an extremely top level sport academy -culture. The private journeys have a bigger meaning for the drivers. They are then coming for silence and peace. They really can calm down.

You have to travel all the time and you are constantly surrounded by hundreds of people. Where do you get your strenght from?

- The work is torning and the age in the meter isn't getting smaller. I jog and go to gyms and to sauna in Finland. Unfortunately I have been quite seldom in Finland. Sometimes it feels like I'm done with all of this.

How long is your contract with McLaren?

- Two years, after that I don't know. They have presented new jobs inside the team and we are talking about changing my job description. Other teams have also made offers to me. I'm also a manager in a medical space program in Switzerland and I'm very excited over it. In the future I want to work more in one place so that people come to see me instead of me travelling around the world.

What are Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton like?

- They are both different but brilliant guys in their own way.

What is Sebastian Vettel like?

- An extremely determined young man. He knows for sure what he wants and he will also get there.

What about Mark Webber?

- He is one of the most interesting guys. He gives the impression of being fair but his will to compete covers fairness. Mark has two faces, which is a really good thing for a top sportsman.

Fernando Alonso?

- I have worked with him too. If you could say that you can see from some driver's eyes who wins you wouldn't have to guess twice. Alonso's will to win, both in good and bad, is something that I haven't seen during my career. He does well because of that will.

Who will win 2010?

- The black horse.

Do you believe that Kimi Räikkönen will come back to F1?

- If Kimi comes back next year, then he can come but after that I don't believe in it. Therefore 2011 is the last year when he can make a comeback.
Hand on the heart

Aki Hintsa

Family: divorced with four children
TV-serie: Desperate houswives (laughter)
Sport: tennis and gym
Love: children
Boring: Monaco GP

What do you see?

Mika Häkkinen
- trusted friend, almost like a brother

Kimi Räikkönen
- better than his reputation

Heikki Kovalainen
- laidback but extremely competitive
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 12 Oct 2010, 17:01

Korean GP will go ahead, but tarmac may well break up :p

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 12 Oct 2010, 19:07

So if Schumacher blames the car it's ok, but if other drivers have problems adapting to their car it's because they are crappy drivers? :zz:

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 12 Oct 2010, 19:53

I wish I knew more about the context in which Michael made these comments about his car being "unequal" to Rosberg's. Remarks like this are rather out of character for Michael, so I'd really wonder if this is actually somebody taking him out of context...
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 13 Oct 2010, 02:45

i agree. just a change by the media, can bring out a totally different meaning to the statement. I hope that these allegations are unfounded

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 13 Oct 2010, 08:57

The Mercedes situation is very complicated. I think we need to wait until next year to be able to fully and accurately judge the situation.

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 13 Oct 2010, 17:37

We are now officially down to 5 contenders. And If Webber wins the next race, Hamilton will need 3 pts and Button 7 to officially remain in battle.