Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next season?

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
Julia
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Speculation-thread: Will Kimi be in WRC or F1 next seaso

Post by Julia » 20 Sep 2010, 12:25

Vida wrote:maybe the robertson have contacted renault and tell them not to talk nonsense :)
...or more probably their PR-deparment... who has explained that its better to only say positive thing about potential drivers (if you want to have them) instead to make fun of them calling you... seem to be their next atemp to explain how they feel about the situation... so what is going to be next week angel to the räikkönen-renault saga?

when has the poll come there? I'm still rooting for WRC and Citroen thou .... cant see Renault beeing a championship-winning team next year, they are to amateur at hte moment and they don't have the money. They still don't have a namesponsor even if they have looked for it the whole year... OK, If they continue to hype Kimi in a month maybe they find one...

Boudica
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Boudica » 20 Sep 2010, 12:59

luieluv wrote:
Raikkonen's Renault interest 'flattering' - Boullier

Kimi Raikkonen's interest in driving for Renault next year is "flattering", team boss Eric Boullier has admitted.

2007 world champion Raikkonen's manager last week confirmed reports the pair had spoken with Boullier about the vacant 2011 seat alongside Robert Kubica.

The 30-year-old Finn switched to world rallying this year after winning 18 grands prix with Ferrari and McLaren last decade.

"It's flattering," Boullier said in a French language report of the Agence France-Presse agency, "because it shows that our team is again attractive to a Formula One world champion."

After Fernando Alonso's titles in 2005 and 2006, Renault entered a period of decline that resulted in the French carmaker selling to Luxembourg based Genii Capital at the end of last year.

"Our simulations show that our car has improved by about 1 and 3/4 seconds between the first test and now. We have been one of the teams with the greatest progressions.

"That is a true source of satisfaction," admitted Boullier. "We have proved the team has the qualities to operate at the highest level."
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 7732&FS=F1
Wow that have suddenly changed their tune haven't they? Perhaps the Robertson had a talk with them. :lol:

Vida
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Vida » 20 Sep 2010, 13:00

now we just have to wait what's next from renault n kimi

YiNing
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by YiNing » 20 Sep 2010, 17:46

F1Lite's blog " Is Raikkonen to Renault realistic?"

http://www.f1lite.com/latest.html
This time last year, Kimi Raikkonen was on poor form. Apart from a notable (and perhaps slightly opportunistic) victory at Spa, Ferrari hadn't been able to provide the 2007 World Champion with competitive equipment. He eventually finished 6th in the standings, his motivation and enthusiasm for the sport at an all time low. Little did he know that in just a few months he would have embarked on a second career in the World Rally Championship, and proven himself surprisingly good at it.

In late 2009, it was clear Kimi was getting restless. Just a few months before, during F1's summer break, he took a trip out to his home country, Finland, and tried rallying seriously. He was quick. He crashed. No surprise there, the debutante was more used to high speed, single seater precision than grabbing a glorified road car by the neck and dragging it across all surfaces. Nevertheless, something about it the experience caused the Finn to start looking at rallying as more than just a hobby.

A few months later, Ferrari surprised nobody by revealing that they had signed Fernando Alonso for 2010, giving Raikkonen the boot. Kimi looked around - a return to McLaren, where he spent five successful years, looked very much on the cards. But Raikkonen was high maintenance and high cost, and the Scuderia paid the Finn a staggering $20m to simply stay out of the paddock for a season. Rallying was now a real option, and when Citroen's junior team offered him a berth for a year, he leapt at the chance.

The first couple of rallies were poor. A lowly 29th in Sweden and a DNF in Mexico. But then, just as it looked like he'd made a catastrophic career decision, he pulled out a very respectable 8th place in Jordan. His unique personality allowed him to perform well under pressure, and we’ve seen it a lot in Formula 1. His laid-back attitude and his no-nonsense ‘get on with it’ driving style took him to the championship in 2007 while Hamilton and Alonso squabbled amongst themselves.

Image Image Image
Success bred success. A week later he took 5th place in Turkey. "Raikkonen" was now appearing higher up the timesheets, alongside the likes of established aces such as Hirvonen, Sordo and Wilson. After missing the New Zealand rally he saw a few more respectable finishes, troubling the top ten in Portugal and Bulgaria. It was Germany in midsummer that we saw his real potential - Raikkonen took his first stage win and with it gained the respect of the whole rally community. A one year rallying adventure was set to become a whole new life for the mercurial Finn.

Spa 2010. By the time the Formula One community rolled up in the cloudy Ardennes forest, Kimi's final victory a year previously was little more than a distant and irrelevant memory. Nobody was really speculating about a Formula One return for the man who dominated the Belgian circuit, not least because a majority of the top places look to be settled for next season, the driver market inactive after last year's musical chairs frenzy.

But then, just last week, the Raikkonen story returned. The resurgent Renault team are on the lookout for a more suitable second driver after Russia's Vitaly Petrov proves fast, but with a wild debut season so far. Team boss Eric Boullier dropped the bombshell and announced that Raikkonen, who for months professed no desire to return to the sport he once reigned over, had directly contacted him with a view to a 2011 seat. The Finn's manager, Steve Robertson, confirmed the approach. A decision is expected relatively soon, with Petrov's performances under scrutiny, yet his commercial appeal keeping him firmly in the cockpit.

Lots will be said over the next few months. Much of what we see in the press will be nothing more than negotiation tactics and clever PR. But there's a chance, a tiny chance, that Kimi Raikkonen may return to the sport where he made his name - and he'll have fans. A lot of people miss his cool, laid-back attitude and desire to get out there and race - maybe even his wildchild partying ways which are so rare amongst professional sportsmen. But there's no doubt that the Flying Finn is an extraordinary talent, and Formula One would be much richer for his return.

Stranger things have happened. Just ask Michael Schumacher

kiara
car driver
car driver

Post by kiara » 20 Sep 2010, 18:31

Renault do talk an awful lot.... :blink:

By the way, did anyone see what some called Chris Lambden wrote in this magazine - http://mag.gpweek.com/ :<>: . I have never heard of him anyway so maybe he is not a serious journalist :p

I think it is so hard to know what Kimi does next year. Everyone was so certain that he would go to McLaren for this season, and then so many people though he would be in Red Bull for 2011 (I know it could still happen but it is quite unlikely....). Chances are we will not know until the very last minute, just like last year!

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 20 Sep 2010, 18:55

thanks kiara :thumbsup:

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 20 Sep 2010, 23:28

Moominpappa wrote:
luieluv wrote:

"Our simulations show that our car has improved by about 1 and 3/4 seconds between the first test and now. We have been one of the teams with the greatest progressions.

"That is a true source of satisfaction," admitted Boullier. "We have proved the team has the qualities to operate at the highest level."
http://www.motorsport.com/news/article. ... 7732&FS=F1
This is just normal, when the best car's improver left Renault and moved to Ferrari :zz:
Maybe he is so good at improving the car that the car can improve by itself even after he leaves. :zz: :p

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 21 Sep 2010, 09:25

Iceman1 : please help :)

There's an autosport+ story on schumacher retiring. Anyway to get hold of it?
So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

YiNing
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by YiNing » 21 Sep 2010, 09:32

luieluv wrote:Iceman1 : please help :)

I can do it.
What will Schumacher do?

Speculation is mounting about the future of Michael Schumacher following his disappointing return to Formula 1. But will he stay or will he re-retire? Tony Dodgins gives his answer

Post-Monza, the 'Schumi to re-retire' rumours have gathered strength. The word from the theatre of motor racing was that Mercedes isn't an altogether happy camp right now and that Michael could even be groomed, sooner rather than later, to take over the helm of the entire ship rather than just one of its cars.

I suppose it's possible. Michael Schumacher, team principal at Mercedes? Why not? Not a TP like Ross Brawn, whose technical experience and man-management skills make him wholly suitable. More a figurehead, a public face. You can see the PR value to the three-pointed star.

Schumacher is not enjoying the comeback he expected © Sutton
But I can't help think that Michael would much rather solve his current conundrum. Influential and knowledgeable people – Bernie Ecclestone and Jackie Stewart among them - think Schumacher will stop, but 2010, you'd imagine, must be eating Michael up. It won't be how he imagined taking his final curtain. A competitor as strong as he will surely be desperate to know the answers to 2010. As much for his own sanity.

Schumacher knockers have loved this year and use it to claim that prior achievements were all based on unfair advantage. But that wasn't the way it was when he first arrived, which is arguably when his pace was at its most startling. Just ask Nelson Piquet.

By end 2006, when Michael stopped, Felipe Massa was nowhere near as close as many commentators made out. And with no disrespect to Nico Rosberg, Schumacher must lie awake at night wondering where that missing 2010 half second has gone.

Nico could be way better than anyone thinks. He looked good when he first arrived in F1 but then ultimately suffered in comparison with Mark Webber which, with hindsight, is understandable enough in year one. It's just that the following year Lewis Hamilton redefined the appreciation of what a talented rookie could do...

And Webber, for some reason, never received the acclaim he deserves. He often qualified Jaguars in unfeasible places and has always been a tough nut. When he went to Williams though, it was supposed to be 'the breakthrough,' the opportunity in a winning team.

Actually, it coincided with the start of a team slump and the fall-out with BMW. By the time Nico arrived the Munich partnership was over and the team was back with Cosworth. The engine itself was good but BMW had been providing cash as well. So the whole vibe was negative and both Mark and Nico got a little caught up in that.

Consider though, that not only does Webber lead the championship and stand 7:7 with Vettel in qualifying this year, but over his time with Sebastian at Red Bull, has actually scored more points than the man hailed 'the new Schuey.' That, over a 32-race sample, at least 25% of which he drove battling the effects of a broken leg and shoulder, is not shabby.

Rosberg has outperformed Schumacher for most of the year © Sutton
So, let's say that Nico is right up there too. Even so, in Michael's mind, he would have been beatable. Tyres, surely, have to be one of the most plausible explanations as to why it hasn't happened for him.

Bridgestone's Hirohide Hamashima has gone on record saying that this year's relatively weaker front control Bridgestones are not suitable to Michael and his pointy/oversteer style. But then we went to Monza and the gap was still there. Okay, there's Parabolica, but that apart, Monza lap time tends to be about good stability under braking and an aero efficient car.

Drivers will also tell you it's about confidence. One even told me once that he'd not like to go and race at skittish, low downforce Monza without the benefit of a prior test which, of course, is what they all did 10 days ago without a murmur. You do what you have to do, I suppose, but it made me wonder last whether the characteristics of the Mercedes and the current tyres have had a knock-on effect on Michael's confidence.

It brings you back to the question of comebacks and their feasibility. Some, like Mickey Rourke's, are what you would call ill-advised. The actor was an amateur fighter prior to enjoying a spot of sadomasochism with Kim Basinger in 9 ½ weeks. Then, at 41, the same age as Schumacher, he decided he was 'self-destructing' and needed just the masochism. He had a go at professional boxing. They stuck Freddie Roach in his corner and found six bums for him to knock over but the outcome still involved reconstructive facial surgery...

Over the weekend, I read a great piece by The Observer's Kevin Mitchell about Ricky Hatton's problems since his boxing career was ended by Manny Pacquiao. Compulsive, like so many top performers, particularly those in environments fuelled by adrenaline, the problem comes in coping when it all stops.

Hatton is 10 years younger than Schumacher but Michael, to my knowledge, never went on benders involving 20 pints of Guinness between races so can probably rightfully expect the longer shelf-life.

Will he stay or will he go? © Sutton
Another great champion, Barry McGuigan, also had his first night as a promoter in Belfast's Ulster Hall last Saturday, 25 years on from his high of highs winning the world title against Eusebio Pedroza at Loftus Rd, now ironically owned by a certain Mr Ecclestone!

"The unique demands and thrills associated with the fight game make coping unbelievably difficult when the final bell has sounded," McGuigan said in his newspaper column. "I was lucky. I have never touched a drop of alcohol in my life. If I had, I suspect that, with my compulsive personality, I would have been destroyed."

McGuigan also found last week the hardest of his life. "Barry McGuigan Presents, it says on the poster," he said. "Sounds simple doesn't it? I feel like I have just stepped out of a spin dryer. My brains are fried. As a fighter all you have to do is turn up in shape and fight. Those were the days..."

That, as well as the compulsion, I reckon, are why Michael Schumacher would prefer to sort out his current problems before he takes on new ones. I'd reckon he'll have a go on Pirellis in Abu Dhabi before he decides he wants to be Alfred Neubauer.

Last edited by YiNing on 21 Sep 2010, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

luieluv
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by luieluv » 21 Sep 2010, 09:34

YiNing wrote:
luieluv wrote:Iceman1 : please help :)

I can do it.
What will Schumacher do?

Speculation is mounting about the future of Michael Schumacher following his disappointing return to Formula 1. But will he stay or will he re-retire? Tony Dodgins gives his answer

Post-Monza, the 'Schumi to re-retire' rumours have gathered strength. The word from the theatre of motor racing was that Mercedes isn't an altogether happy camp right now and that Michael could even be groomed, sooner rather than later, to take over the helm of the entire ship rather than just one of its cars.

I suppose it's possible. Michael Schumacher, team principal at Mercedes? Why not? Not a TP like Ross Brawn, whose technical experience and man-management skills make him wholly suitable. More a figurehead, a public face. You can see the PR value to the three-pointed star.

Schumacher is not enjoying the comeback he expected © Sutton
But I can't help think that Michael would much rather solve his current conundrum. Influential and knowledgeable people – Bernie Ecclestone and Jackie Stewart among them - think Schumacher will stop, but 2010, you'd imagine, must be eating Michael up. It won't be how he imagined taking his final curtain. A competitor as strong as he will surely be desperate to know the answers to 2010. As much for his own sanity.

Schumacher knockers have loved this year and use it to claim that prior achievements were all based on unfair advantage. But that wasn't the way it was when he first arrived, which is arguably when his pace was at its most startling. Just ask Nelson Piquet.

By end 2006, when Michael stopped, Felipe Massa was nowhere near as close as many commentators made out. And with no disrespect to Nico Rosberg, Schumacher must lie awake at night wondering where that missing 2010 half second has gone.

Nico could be way better than anyone thinks. He looked good when he first arrived in F1 but then ultimately suffered in comparison with Mark Webber which, with hindsight, is understandable enough in year one. It's just that the following year Lewis Hamilton redefined the appreciation of what a talented rookie could do...

And Webber, for some reason, never received the acclaim he deserves. He often qualified Jaguars in unfeasible places and has always been a tough nut. When he went to Williams though, it was supposed to be 'the breakthrough,' the opportunity in a winning team.

Actually, it coincided with the start of a team slump and the fall-out with BMW. By the time Nico arrived the Munich partnership was over and the team was back with Cosworth. The engine itself was good but BMW had been providing cash as well. So the whole vibe was negative and both Mark and Nico got a little caught up in that.

Consider though, that not only does Webber lead the championship and stand 7:7 with Vettel in qualifying this year, but over his time with Sebastian at Red Bull, has actually scored more points than the man hailed 'the new Schuey.' That, over a 32-race sample, at least 25% of which he drove battling the effects of a broken leg and shoulder, is not shabby.

Rosberg has outperformed Schumacher for most of the year © Sutton
So, let's say that Nico is right up there too. Even so, in Michael's mind, he would have been beatable. Tyres, surely, have to be one of the most plausible explanations as to why it hasn't happened for him.

Bridgestone's Hirohide Hamashima has gone on record saying that this year's relatively weaker front control Bridgestones are not suitable to Michael and his pointy/oversteer style. But then we went to Monza and the gap was still there. Okay, there's Parabolica, but that apart, Monza lap time tends to be about good stability under braking and an aero efficient car.

Drivers will also tell you it's about confidence. One even told me once that he'd not like to go and race at skittish, low downforce Monza without the benefit of a prior test which, of course, is what they all did 10 days ago without a murmur. You do what you have to do, I suppose, but it made me wonder last whether the characteristics of the Mercedes and the current tyres have had a knock-on effect on Michael's confidence.

It brings you back to the question of comebacks and their feasibility. Some, like Mickey Rourke's, are what you would call ill-advised. The actor was an amateur fighter prior to enjoying a spot of sadomasochism with Kim Basinger in 9 ½ weeks. Then, at 41, the same age as Schumacher, he decided he was 'self-destructing' and needed just the masochism. He had a go at professional boxing. They stuck Freddie Roach in his corner and found six bums for him to knock over but the outcome still involved reconstructive facial surgery...

Over the weekend, I read a great piece by The Observer's Kevin Mitchell about Ricky Hatton's problems since his boxing career was ended by Manny Pacquiao. Compulsive, like so many top performers, particularly those in environments fuelled by adrenaline, the problem comes in coping when it all stops.

Hatton is 10 years younger than Schumacher but Michael, to my knowledge, never went on benders involving 20 pints of Guinness between races so can probably rightfully expect the longer shelf-life.

Will he stay or will he go? © Sutton
Another great champion, Barry McGuigan, also had his first night as a promoter in Belfast's Ulster Hall last Saturday, 25 years on from his high of highs winning the world title against Eusebio Pedroza at Loftus Rd, now ironically owned by a certain Mr Ecclestone!

"The unique demands and thrills associated with the fight game make coping unbelievably difficult when the final bell has sounded," McGuigan said in his newspaper column. "I was lucky. I have never touched a drop of alcohol in my life. If I had, I suspect that, with my compulsive personality, I would have been destroyed."

McGuigan also found last week the hardest of his life. "Barry McGuigan Presents, it says on the poster," he said. "Sounds simple doesn't it? I feel like I have just stepped out of a spin dryer. My brains are fried. As a fighter all you have to do is turn up in shape and fight. Those were the days..."

That, as well as the compulsion, I reckon, are why Michael Schumacher would prefer to sort out his current problems before he takes on new ones. I'd reckon he'll have a go on Pirellis in Abu Dhabi before he decides he wants to be Alfred Neubauer.

So its gonna be a mix of Ravishing Black and White for Kimi Raikkonen this season

Vida
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Vida » 21 Sep 2010, 09:36

:hug: thanks yining...

YiNing
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by YiNing » 21 Sep 2010, 09:39

You're welcome :) Note that I edited and added the photos

Soren
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by Soren » 21 Sep 2010, 12:59

Umm.. What the heck is Kimi doing in Singapore this race weekend..?
http://www.eglobaltravelnews.com.au/z-m ... -2010.html
This doesnt seem like him to engage in something like this unless something is up?! Or am I mistaken? The plot thickens..
Join our feisty Kimi Raikkonen group on Facebook
Click and join :D
Click here to follow us on Twitter as well

rko281
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by rko281 » 21 Sep 2010, 13:02

Soren wrote:Umm.. What the heck is Kimi doing in Singapore this race weekend..?
This doesnt seem like him to engage in something like this unless something is up?! Or am I mistaken? The plot thickens..
we've been discussing this in the Kimi Red Bull Monster thread.
My opinion is that is has nothing to do with what he'll do next year.

Kriss
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Kriss » 21 Sep 2010, 13:02

Soren wrote:Umm.. What the heck is Kimi doing in Singapore this race weekend..?
it is discussed in the monster thread as well :)