Ground effect, turbos set for F1 return?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
saif
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Ground effect, turbos set for F1 return?

Post by saif » 03 Sep 2010, 14:19

Ground effect, turbos set for F1 return

Formula 1 teams are closing in on finalising all-new regulations for 2013 that will likely see a return of ground effect cars and turbo engines - as the sport witnessed in the early 1980's.

Several think-tank Working Groups have been set up to get consensus on moves to improve the spectacle of F1 and ensure it becomes more environmentally friendly.

On the engine side, draft regulations were circulated among teams a few weeks ago and the latest plan is for 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo engines to become standard.

The power units will be bolstered by numerous energy recovery systems, and should produce around 650bhp. Plans are also being considered to limit engines to just five per driver per season.

In a bid to further increase F1's green credentials, teams are also keen for there to be a fuel flow rate limit - which will ensure the engines are economical.

Williams technical director Sam Michael said: "Rather than dump as much fuel in as we can at the moment, there will be a fuel flow metre - so you won't be able to blow more than a certain amount of fuel. It is a good chunk less than we had at the moment."

On the chassis front, Williams co-owner Patrick Head and former Ferrari designer Rory Byrne are working with the FIA to head up concepts for new car rules.

Teams are keen for the cars to be better for overtaking than the current generation of machines - with ground effect being actively considered.

"They are talking about putting a greater proportion of down force to the diffuser, a ground effect car - like the early 1980's," added Michael. "They have been looking at that, as well as increasing crash protection at the front of the car by moving the sidepods further forwards."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86341
Whats the purpose of life? Is Life Just A Game? Find out the answers: http://www.OneReason.org/

http://www.twitter.com/saifsultan

phil1993

Re: Ground effect, turbos set for F1 return?

Post by phil1993 » 03 Sep 2010, 14:21

Cool, but 5 engines a season :blink: Come on, f*** the engine limit, let em have as many as possible.

realms
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by realms » 03 Sep 2010, 14:26

1.6litre 4 cylinder ... isnt that rather small ... more into road car significance i guess

this could be quite a challenge ... something F1 is supposed to be all about .

saif
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by saif » 03 Sep 2010, 14:26

phil1993 wrote:Cool, but 5 engines a season :blink: Come on, f*** the engine limit, let em have as many as possible.

+1 .. I also dont like the engine limit
Whats the purpose of life? Is Life Just A Game? Find out the answers: http://www.OneReason.org/

http://www.twitter.com/saifsultan

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 03 Sep 2010, 14:42

saif wrote:
phil1993 wrote:Cool, but 5 engines a season :blink: Come on, f*** the engine limit, let em have as many as possible.

+1 .. I also dont like the engine limit
the engine limit would keep the rev limits down to keep the reliability up (more revs = less reliability).

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 03 Sep 2010, 14:45

i dont want to have none of these in the future, i dont want to listen to some crappy 4 cylinder engines like in my car, i like F1 just the way as it is now, no need to change it

they can only improve it by bringing back the fantastic V10 engines - i miss that sound

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 03 Sep 2010, 15:48

F1 was exciting in those days when the number of engines was unlimited and they were blowing up left and right! Caused a lot more suspense during a race :lol: Unfortunately it might have cost a certain former F1 driver a WDC or two..... :confused:

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 03 Sep 2010, 16:14

sleenster wrote:Unfortunately it might have cost a certain former F1 driver a WDC or two..... :confused:
or perhaps fortunately, because thats where the suspense and excitement lies. Now it is more of who has the better car that wins :(

Effert1
car driver
car driver

Post by Effert1 » 21 Sep 2010, 00:47

saif wrote:
Ground effect, turbos set for F1 return

Formula 1 teams are closing in on finalising all-new regulations for 2013 that will likely see a return of ground effect cars and turbo engines - as the sport witnessed in the early 1980's.

Several think-tank Working Groups have been set up to get consensus on moves to improve the spectacle of F1 and ensure it becomes more environmentally friendly.

On the engine side, draft regulations were circulated among teams a few weeks ago and the latest plan is for 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo engines to become standard.

The power units will be bolstered by numerous energy recovery systems, and should produce around 650bhp. Plans are also being considered to limit engines to just five per driver per season.

In a bid to further increase F1's green credentials, teams are also keen for there to be a fuel flow rate limit - which will ensure the engines are economical.

Williams technical director Sam Michael said: "Rather than dump as much fuel in as we can at the moment, there will be a fuel flow metre - so you won't be able to blow more than a certain amount of fuel. It is a good chunk less than we had at the moment."

On the chassis front, Williams co-owner Patrick Head and former Ferrari designer Rory Byrne are working with the FIA to head up concepts for new car rules.

Teams are keen for the cars to be better for overtaking than the current generation of machines - with ground effect being actively considered.

"They are talking about putting a greater proportion of down force to the diffuser, a ground effect car - like the early 1980's," added Michael. "They have been looking at that, as well as increasing crash protection at the front of the car by moving the sidepods further forwards."
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/86341 auto electronics
I think that the 5 engine limit should definitely be raised. At least give them like 8-10.

MavF1
Donator
Donator

Post by MavF1 » 21 Sep 2010, 10:30

I wasn't there to witness the ground effect/turbo era, it sounds interesting though. What I don't like is the 1.6 litre four-cylinder, all that "world engine" nonsense. I understand that the engines should be more fuel-efficient in the future and that the manufacturers have a special interest in bringing the cars closer to regular road cars (from a technical point of view at least), but they shouldn't forget that F1 needs to stay the pinnacle of motorsports.