Formula One returns to the USA - Official

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
syncmaster
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Formula One returns to the USA - Official

Post by syncmaster » 28 May 2010, 10:58

USA can be made Exciting if they avoid long circuits like Valenica and Singapore....They should make a small length track with over taking opportunities
Desire has no limits

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 27 Jul 2010, 20:30

Austin F1 track ?

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 28 Jul 2010, 11:15

Interesting design, it looks to be one that could produce decent racing.

f1nut48
kart driver
kart driver

Post by f1nut48 » 31 Jul 2010, 19:00

iceman1 wrote:Austin F1 track ?

It reminds me a bit of the Hungaroring, unfortunately....but maybe that's b/c that GP is this weekend. I'll believe it when I see it-living in the US, F1 just doesn't get any coverage at all, nor does open wheel racing of any kind, really. Having Red McCombs behind the project will help, but again I'll believe it when I see it...just like USGP, Cypher, a GP in New York, etc...

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 11 Aug 2010, 12:08

Another Tilke track
YallaF1.com wrote: Officials of Hermann Tilke’s German company are beginning to arrive in Austin to begin work at the site of the 2012 United States grand prix.

The formula one circuit design company Tilke GmbH already has geologists testing he 900-acre plot of land and is about to open a local office for 20 staff, according to a report in the local American-Statesman.

“There is land, there is money, there is a formula one contract. We are now ready to enter the final stage of the ambitious project,” said Tilke’s US executive Christian Epp.

He said the actual track layout is essentially complete, but that questions about the auxiliary buildings are still being answered.

“We have to figure how many buildings and access roads are needed, how in detail to manage the water supply, drainage and power,” said Epp. “It’s like planning and building a complete new city.”

He said a Tilke delegation will be in Austin next week to continue working on the reportedly $200 million plans, with actual construction to begin in December.

“The engineers and the contractors tell me it can be built by summer 2012,” said the race organisers’ lawyer Richard Suttle Jr.

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 01 Sep 2010, 12:45

Austin F1 track revealed:
Only a draft, but it looks good, a very interesting track, should be one of the better circuits on the calendar.
Map with elevation:

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 01 Sep 2010, 12:55

I love U.S. American Road Tracks, proper race tracks, none of that Tielke c**p.

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 01 Sep 2010, 13:25

My fellow Americans typically like to see lots of overtaking coupled with huge crashes and massive explosions, so if this track can deliver that, F1 will make it here. If it doesn't expect the race to happen only once.
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 01 Sep 2010, 13:33

F1 races don't have lots of overtaking, huge crashes and massive explosions.

sdutt
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sdutt » 01 Sep 2010, 18:40

Ferrariman60 wrote:My fellow Americans typically like to see lots of overtaking coupled with huge crashes and massive explosions, so if this track can deliver that, F1 will make it here. If it doesn't expect the race to happen only once.
for that meganuke will be required :lol: :n

iceman1
F1 Legend
F1 Legend

Post by iceman1 » 01 Sep 2010, 19:03

There's a section similar to Turn 8 of Turkey, but turning to right instead of left.

skywatcher
Donator
Donator

Post by skywatcher » 10 Feb 2011, 07:58

Ferrariman60 wrote:My fellow Americans typically like to see lots of overtaking coupled with huge crashes and massive explosions, so if this track can deliver that, F1 will make it here. If it doesn't expect the race to happen only once.
Already been contracted from 2012 through 2020. Yes it will be more than once. Agreed Americans in general aren't into F1 or open wheel racing much, but Indianapolis had a ton of people at the track for it's inaugural race, at least 250,000 if not more, since they never officially publish attendance numbers. I was at most of the Indy races, a lot of Americans attended, as did a lot of fly aways from other countries. Texas is a good spot for the race I think, much cheaper to fly into from the West coast as it seems the fans are stronger on the west coast then east in the US.

SilverStar
car driver
car driver

Post by SilverStar » 15 Feb 2011, 08:04

Ultimately F1 has failed every time they try to make inroads into the USA, I thought by now they would have given up trying to get Americans interested in F1, I go there a lot and 99% of American sports fans couldn't even tell you who Fernando Alonso is, or what he does, they would probably guess that he is a latino baseball player, so it will be a long and very tough uphill struggle, but if it works it would be great, so good luck with that at least.

MERCEDES GP PETRONAS MERCEDES GP PETRONAS MERCEDES GP PETRONAS

kimi and mika
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by kimi and mika » 25 Jul 2011, 09:48

The circuit would be 3.4 miles (5.5 km) long and would be made up of more than twenty turns with an elevation change of 133 feet (41 m), meaning the circuit will have the third greatest change in elevation on the calendar after Spa and Suzuka.

Several circuits provided inspiration for the design, with homages to Silverstone, Hockenheim and Istanbul Park clearly visible in the corners. Including a recreation of Silverstone's Maggotts-Becketts-Chapel sequence, Hockenheim's arena bends and a replica of Istanbul's Turn Eight. The spectator capacity of the course is estimated to be one hundred thousand, with the use of permanent and temporary seating facilities. One of the unique features of the circuit is a deliberate widening of the circuit in the corners, to encourage drivers to follow multiple racing lines.
For me, copying other corners has my mind split. If they're proven corners then they should be good, but we already have that corner elsewhere. I don't want to see the track and instantly think "it looks like...". I want new corners that are spectacular. Also some camber to allow cars to take more speed around the outside will help overtaking, hopefully that is implemented.

What do you think about the corners from other tracks being recreated?

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 26 Jul 2011, 07:50

kimi and mika wrote: What do you think about the corners from other tracks being recreated?
I don't like carbon copies of other corners being used, but I think that using other corners as an inspiration for a corner is fine, and beneficial to the new track.