Hamilton criticised by Villeneuve

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
Chubbs
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Hamilton criticised by Villeneuve

Post by Chubbs » 07 Jun 2007, 06:52

Former world champion Jacques Villeneuve has accused Lewis Hamilton of being too aggressive in his driving at the start of Grands Prix.

The Canadian said Hamilton's behaviour was similar to that of former champion Michael Schumacher, who was widely criticised for dirty driving.

"When will these chopping moves stop?" Villeneuve told Autosport magazine.

"Lewis is not getting penalised and his behaviour off the start has started to look the way Michael used to."

Hamilton has begun his Formula One career with greater success than any driver in history, and his ability to make places off the start is one of many ways in which the 22-year-old has attracted attention.

Lewis is very fast but he still has to step up to the plate and beat Alonso

But Villeneuve said he was surprised race officials had not waved a black flag at Hamilton, calling him into the pits for potential disqualification for dangerous driving.

"So far, he has been lucky, so we'll see if it carries on," said Villeneuve, who won the title for Williams-Renault in 1997 and whose F1 career ended last season.

"He makes progressive moves that would have got some of the other drivers black-flagged."

Hamilton heads into this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix tied on points at the head of the world championship with team-mate and double world champion Fernando Alonso.

And he has been faster than the Spaniard in the last three races, beating Alonso in Bahrain and Spain but being asked by the team not to challenge him for victory in Monaco.

But Villeneuve believes Hamilton still has some way to go before he has fully established himself as a leading contender.

"Lewis is very fast," Villeneuve said, "but he still has to step up to the plate and beat Alonso.

"And we still haven't seen how he reacts under pressure - that will be interesting to watch."

Villeneuve's remarks are the first time Hamilton has faced any public criticism since the start of his F1 career this season.

Follow the Canadian Grand Prix live on the BBC Sport website and Radio Five Live. Qualifying is at 1800 BST on 8 June, with the race 24 hours later.
WTF villeneuve????? are you *%$£ing crazy!?!?! you arse.

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 07 Jun 2007, 08:04

if this guy drives as much as he criticizes other, Michael Schumacher would not have won any other championship since JV's arrival in F1.

SHUT UP JV

ntr
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by ntr » 07 Jun 2007, 09:11

JV has a point though...did you see lewis do that weaving at Sakhir (i think) he weaved (or as jv says 'chopped) from left to right about 3 times or something...
I think JV is a hero for not following the lewis hype train that everyone else seems to be fanatical about :lol:
mm tofu

Bowsey
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Bowsey » 07 Jun 2007, 10:07

Its Jacques Villeneuve for goodness sake, he always says stuff like this, He can never compliment someone, he's always on the attack, he critices everyone when he can

Super Aguri
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Super Aguri » 07 Jun 2007, 10:50

JV cannot control his mouth.

donald29
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by donald29 » 07 Jun 2007, 10:51

i don't like villeneuve but he has a point. hamilton does cut across like schumacher but no one complains :frown:

[FIN]SpeedFreak
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Hamilton criticised by Villeneuve

Post by [FIN]SpeedFreak » 07 Jun 2007, 11:06

Chubbs wrote:WTF villeneuve????? are you *%$£ing crazy!?!?! you arse.
Well, don't take this too literally, but Villeneuve speaks true. Hamy does do those "chopping moves" around the grid in the startting moment... That's why he is such a good positions after the start... Like I said, don't take this too literelly...

Dark_Fisico
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Dark_Fisico » 07 Jun 2007, 11:06

JV always comes out with c**p :mrgreen: he did it at the beginning of the season to all drivers and teams... He very rarely says anything nice, and really doesn't seem to like Schumi much...

But I have to admitt I love him for speaking out against Hamilton :lol: even if its not gonna do much :cheesy:...

phillyred79
kart driver
kart driver

Post by phillyred79 » 07 Jun 2007, 14:15

Blah blah.. Stick to your failing music career JV... There may be some truth to what JV says, but the manner and tone in which he states this is some what condescending as to take the polish off an amazing start to a career in F1. I'm becoming more of a Hamilton fan as I hear people speak out publicly against him and I'm normally just glad to watch the sport and cheer for everyone.. Thanks JV, I'm officially a McLaren fan!

Ace
kart driver
kart driver

Post by Ace » 07 Jun 2007, 15:53

JV is a very big Idiot when it comes to talking about F1. Yellow_Colorz_PDT_29

BANANAGP
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by BANANAGP » 07 Jun 2007, 17:08

A day in the life of Jacques Villenueve (9:07 am)

Sacre Blue Man my career is in the dumps!
Couldn't get a Nascar gig and even the Busch guys turned me down.
My singing career is going to hell... that's not good.
And to make matters worse, my underage ballerina girlfriend just turned 21!! She's allready looking like an old hag!

Mon Dieu, What can I do to get out of this rut!?

Hmm maybe I should take a page from Eddie (Irvine) and Eddie (Jordan). As soon as people forget who the hell you are, criticise someone well liked, popular with the ladies and currently more successful than you!

hello, autosport?

"When will these chopping moves stop?"
"Lewis is not getting penalised and his behaviour off the start has started to look the way Michael used to."
"So far, he has been lucky, so we'll see if it carries on,"
"He makes progressive moves that would have got some of the other drivers black-flagged."
"Lewis is very fast, but he still has to step up to the plate and beat Alonso.
"And we still haven't seen how he reacts under pressure - that will be interesting to watch."

End of Day (9:17am)

maltafan
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by maltafan » 07 Jun 2007, 17:22

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really admired him when he was a Williams driver, but then, he went to the new BAR team, for money, and that's when my respect for JV ended.

WDC
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by WDC » 08 Jun 2007, 12:39

never like Jacques!

i think he has a case of 'has-been-itis!'
he is trying to ruffle feathers even though he has nothing to do with anything anymore!
Thankyou Schumi you will always have a place in our hearts!
Michael Schumacher- 7 volte Campione del mondo!
SIMPLY THE BEST

AJTWWE
car driver
car driver

Post by AJTWWE » 10 Jun 2007, 11:25

Villeneuve is a fantastic driver and is a loss to F1 cause he would speak his mind. I have been a fan of his ever since his debut year in 1996 with some fantastic races involving him especially his fight back in Portugal 96 where he overtook Schumacher round the outside. Hamilton is still only young and 1 day will have a big shunt if he keeps going on the way he is going.

XiaoPro
kart driver
kart driver

Post by XiaoPro » 10 Jun 2007, 12:11

u noe y he would wan to make tat comment ?

its becoz the next race is at canada or gilles villuenueve ... so in other word he wanted ppl to remember him or attract attention or watever BECOZ tat track is named after his father ! !!

tis is juz wat i think .. im not tryin to fight wif any of his fans