Schumacher's future

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.

When, in your view, should Schumacher retire again?

Immediately
No votes
End of this year
32%
End of 2011
16%
End of 2012
28%
Beyond 2012
24%

Total votes: 25

Mitsuro Sano
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Schumacher's future

Post by Mitsuro Sano » 04 Aug 2010, 22:29

AHAHAH wrote: But, just remember that Senna is the only driver who have planned to crash an other driver before the race just to win a WDC...
Piquet Jr planned to crash himself into the wall just for nothing :lol: .

Senna, Schumacher, they both made dirty tricks, they both made incredible things inboard a F1 car.

Senna crashed into Prost to win the 90 WC, Schumi crashed into Hill to win the 94 WC ( but Schumi was the one who deserved the most the 94 title after being disqualifying 4 times for obscure reasons ) and try to take out Villeneuve in 97 but failed.

Senna was supreme in qualifying and in the wet. Monaco 88 and Donington 93 are good examples.
Schumacher was supreme in the wet and stunned everyone with his driving style. Hungary 1998 shows us how fast he is on race day!

I'm not a Schumacher fan, but what he did before is not only thanks to the car ( okay 2002 and 2004 are thanks to the car :p ). So I'm pretty sure if the next car suits him better than the current car, then Schumi would be back!

lucian
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by lucian » 04 Aug 2010, 23:22

I think he should retire after this year. His reputation already suffered and it will only make him look worse if he retires immediately. I am still hoping for a miraculous race, but if that doesn't come, he will have to think really well if he wants to continue being owned by rookies or lesser drivers.

AHAHAH
car driver
car driver

Post by AHAHAH » 05 Aug 2010, 13:49

Linda-Anne wrote:Ahaaha Yes I am a fan of Ayrton and yes I am proud of it. Ayrtons crash with Alain was a direct result of two things. Had those two things been delt with at the time (as it seems stewarding is done now) that crash would have probably not happened. Why are you calling me a fanboy. I am a woman who has been watching F1 and other motorsports since the mid 1960's I have seen a lot of drivers. There are a great many I admire drivers who can do amazing things in cars that were not always the best cars on the grid. Drivers who drove against their teamate in equal machinery and still had the edge. Micheal Schmacher in my opinion does not and rarely ever has fitted into this catergory.
Oh and by the way cant you put across your opinion without calling people idiots or swearing this is a friendly and civilised forum after all :thumbsup:
Normally, its only in a virtual game that you dont brake to crash others.

And please dont say that Schumacher isnt a great driver because he has drove always against worst teammates.
If Senna has accept to fight against Prost, its simply because the McLaren was the best car on the grid. Dont forget also that Honda has favor Senna in McLaren...
And, Kakajima, Berger, Hill for instance arent teammates of an high level...

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 05 Aug 2010, 16:09

I've never heard of Kakajima. Also to say Berger and Hill aren't teammates of a high level is ridiculous, look at the amount of races they won, about 40 cumulatively. There is no proof that Honda favoured Senna over Prost, they were equals in almost every way.

megasyxx
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by megasyxx » 05 Aug 2010, 16:56

AHAHAH wrote:And please dont say that Schumacher isnt a great driver because he has drove always against worst teammates.
If Senna has accept to fight against Prost, its simply because the McLaren was the best car on the grid. Dont forget also that Honda has favor Senna in McLaren...
And, Kakajima, Berger, Hill for instance arent teammates of an high level...
superb analysis AHAHAH :thumbsup: ......
yes, mclaren was the best car on the grid. and also that honda has favor senna in mclaren. and kakajima, berger, hill arent teammates of an high level....
cheers! :wave:

schumi shouldnt retired yet imo.

swca92
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by swca92 » 05 Aug 2010, 18:57

Was that sarcasm??? Also I never knew Satoru Nakajima changed his name, I missed that one.

AHAHAH
car driver
car driver

Post by AHAHAH » 05 Aug 2010, 21:29

swca92 wrote:I've never heard of Kakajima. Also to say Berger and Hill aren't teammates of a high level is ridiculous, look at the amount of races they won, about 40 cumulatively. There is no proof that Honda favoured Senna over Prost, they were equals in almost every way.
- Nakajima sorry.

- Berger and Hill were teammates of a high level?? lol

- Honda favoured Senna over Prost. just search on an F1 magazine or in google or something like that...

@megasyxx

Linda-Anne
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Linda-Anne » 06 Aug 2010, 13:36

AHAHAH wrote:
swca92 wrote:I've never heard of Kakajima. Also to say Berger and Hill aren't teammates of a high level is ridiculous, look at the amount of races they won, about 40 cumulatively. There is no proof that Honda favoured Senna over Prost, they were equals in almost every way.
- Nakajima sorry.

- Berger and Hill were teammates of a high level?? lol

- Honda favoured Senna over Prost. just search on an F1 magazine or in google or something like that...

@megasyxx

Sorry I really dont accept that Honda favoured Senna over Prost in the technical sense that is. Yes Honda admired Senna more that Prost as his personality and his huge will to be the best appealed to them. The cars were both the same and their was no favouritism in that team. The telematry from both cars showed only too well that there was no difference in the cars performance just that one driver was out driving the other. They were two fantastic drivers and they were given equal machinery. Had I been the team boss at that time I would have naturally prefered Senna as he was constantly trying to improve the car,pushing himself and others to get the best and had the edge over his brilliant team--mate in qualifying and racing in the wet and as an emplyee what more could you want.?
Berger and Hill were quite formidable racers in their own right and no way second rate. Definately better than Nico Rosberg whom Micheal is having such hardship beating, so what does that say about him I wonder.? :O

blizzard
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by blizzard » 06 Aug 2010, 19:14

When ranking Michael Schumacher amongst the all time greats one shouldn´t take a look at his teammates. What we should look on are the performances and capabilities he had for over 15 years. I´m talking about single race performsnes as well as whole seson performances. It´s no coincidence that he finished third in a slow and very very unreliable Ferrari in his first season their, constantly fighting for pole and even wins. Alesi and Berger two very good drivers were often nowhere the year before, in a more reliable and more powerful car than the F310 was.

I coulf now mention all his great rce performances, but there is no need for that. I rhink we have an own thread abou it anyway :)

No, it wasn´t the case that Schumacher didn´t want to drive against great teammates it was simply the fact that Briatore and Todt always wanted one strong driver and one supporting driver. (It was the same when Alonso drove under Flavio, he kicked Trulli out and signed Fisico as supporting act). Another fact is that Schumacher didn´t really have the opportunity to get a great teammate, Senna already passed away, Mansell went into retirement, the same goes for Prost and Piquet (whom Michael defeated in the second half of 91 at Benetton). Häkkinen was probably the only one driving at that time who can be considered a true great, but he was McLaren bound and McLaren was no option for Michael, because of Ron Dennis and money issues.

To be honest with you, team orders or no team orders - it wouldn´t have made any difference, or do you really think Barrichello had the ability to challenge Schumacher for the championship in an open fight? He couldn´t even defeat Button...

In terms of driving ability, leadership, technical knowledge, work attitude, passion, fitness, proffessionalism and mental strength I would say the only driver on Michael´s level in the history of F1 is Senna. Surely Ayrton is the greater man at least from a TV - viewers perspective, but in terms of ability MIchael is second to none.

And yeah he´s struggling badly this year, but hey he´s nearly 42, no testing allowed, the car doesn´t suit his driving style at all, the tyres are strange and Nico Rosberg is very underrated by most people (I think he´s better than Vettel. Not quicker, but better).
All those facts make him look bad and yes he is pretty bad this season, but you know what - how good was Pele at 42? How good will Messi be at 42? Or Kobe Bryant? Even Michael Jordan had 7 bad games out of 10 for the Wizards.
Age is a very very bad factor for world class athletes.

PLease consider that when you judge him and doen´t make the mistake to judge his whole career based on a bad season at Mercedes or because the media still can´t forget Austria 2002 - that has nothing to do with the fact that he was the very best of his generation and one, if not the greatest of all time.

AHAHAH
car driver
car driver

Post by AHAHAH » 06 Aug 2010, 19:26

blizzard wrote:When ranking Michael Schumacher amongst the all time greats one shouldn´t take a look at his teammates. What we should look on are the performances and capabilities he had for over 15 years. I´m talking about single race performsnes as well as whole seson performances. It´s no coincidence that he finished third in a slow and very very unreliable Ferrari in his first season their, constantly fighting for pole and even wins. Alesi and Berger two very good drivers were often nowhere the year before, in a more reliable and more powerful car than the F310 was.

I coulf now mention all his great rce performances, but there is no need for that. I rhink we have an own thread abou it anyway :)

No, it wasn´t the case that Schumacher didn´t want to drive against great teammates it was simply the fact that Briatore and Todt always wanted one strong driver and one supporting driver. (It was the same when Alonso drove under Flavio, he kicked Trulli out and signed Fisico as supporting act). Another fact is that Schumacher didn´t really have the opportunity to get a great teammate, Senna already passed away, Mansell went into retirement, the same goes for Prost and Piquet (whom Michael defeated in the second half of 91 at Benetton). Häkkinen was probably the only one driving at that time who can be considered a true great, but he was McLaren bound and McLaren was no option for Michael, because of Ron Dennis and money issues.

To be honest with you, team orders or no team orders - it wouldn´t have made any difference, or do you really think Barrichello had the ability to challenge Schumacher for the championship in an open fight? He couldn´t even defeat Button...

In terms of driving ability, leadership, technical knowledge, work attitude, passion, fitness, proffessionalism and mental strength I would say the only driver on Michael´s level in the history of F1 is Senna. Surely Ayrton is the greater man at least from a TV - viewers perspective, but in terms of ability MIchael is second to none.

And yeah he´s struggling badly this year, but hey he´s nearly 42, no testing allowed, the car doesn´t suit his driving style at all, the tyres are strange and Nico Rosberg is very underrated by most people (I think he´s better than Vettel. Not quicker, but better).
All those facts make him look bad and yes he is pretty bad this season, but you know what - how good was Pele at 42? How good will Messi be at 42? Or Kobe Bryant? Even Michael Jordan had 7 bad games out of 10 for the Wizards.
Age is a very very bad factor for world class athletes.

PLease consider that when you judge him and doen´t make the mistake to judge his whole career based on a bad season at Mercedes or because the media still can´t forget Austria 2002 - that has nothing to do with the fact that he was the very best of his generation and one, if not the greatest of all time.
perfect comment !
:thumbsup:

phil1993

Post by phil1993 » 11 Aug 2010, 19:27

Schumacher is no longer the bee's knees in F1. He's 9th best. If his name wasn't Schumacher, then would you really give a s*** if he quit? He's a bloody good driver and an extraordinary talent but he has had his time.

In my opinion, if the 2011 car is bad he'll pack up then.

R.?
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by R.? » 12 Aug 2010, 10:25

I think he should go on for another year. The car is not good enough at the moment. And it does not fitt his driving. Remeber the car was made for Jenson Button. Their driving styles are quite different. Button likes a car that understeers. Schumacher likes a car that oversteers. Button drives more smooth as Schumacher driver more aggressive. So if he gets the change to influence the design of the car, he will drive much better.