Who will you support when your favourite driver leaves?

This forum gives you a chance to be able to communicate with your fellow F1 fans.
TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Who will you support when your favourite driver leaves?

Post by TwistedArmco » 25 Jul 2010, 19:37

I'm not trying to detract from the current trending topic of Ferrari being evil, but I want to know who the members of this forum would support when your favourite drivers retire. For Hamilton fans, are there any drivers in the lower formulae who could fill the gap for Hamilton for you? On what criteria would you pick them? Would your favourite drivers overlap? Would there have to be some sort of friendship or mentorship between the two? Who has been in this situation before (MP4, :n )? Have you ever managed to find another driver to replace your old idol?

I appreciate that many have several favourite drivers, while others like me can only wholeheartedly support one driver at once. For those who have several, on what basis do new drivers slot alongside the current drivers who you are fans of?
No, I'm not calmer. Just more jaded.

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Re: Who will you support when your favourite driver leaves?

Post by alex1369 » 25 Jul 2010, 20:16

hmm very hard, when Hamilton will retire then we will see, there will be manny new faces in F1 when Lewis will retire, its a long way to go so i cant say anything

i was a Schumacher fan from 95 - 06, but when he retired i knew who will i support - after i saw the GP2 06 Turkey race 2 i knew who will be my man...

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 25 Jul 2010, 23:46

I am a McLaren fan .. To me what matters is who drives for Mclaren. With Lewis it's a hard choice, but if he decides to leave Mclaren i would support whoever replaces him at Mclaren.

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 26 Jul 2010, 10:18

Who did you support before Hamilton? Was it Kimi at McLaren?

amoljoshi
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by amoljoshi » 26 Jul 2010, 10:28

When Kimi left, I left F1 with Kimi.. :wave:

Tom Vandenhove
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Tom Vandenhove » 26 Jul 2010, 14:54

Well, as a renault fan I am not really supporting a driver. This season I am fully behind Kubica and Petrov. But next year I might be behind Raikkonen, Glock, ... :n

Sanredrose
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Sanredrose » 26 Jul 2010, 19:03

TwistedArmco wrote:Who did you support before Hamilton? Was it Kimi at McLaren?
I started with Mika Hakkinen in 1997, supported for him until Kimi replaced him in 2002. Kimi was a young relentless racing driver who consistently pushed the Mercedes engine to the limits. After Kimi, i started supporting Alonso in 2007 .. Halfway thro 2007 i switched to Hamilton after i saw him race and win in Indianapolis ...

cformula1
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by cformula1 » 28 Jul 2010, 08:49

At the moment my favourite would have to be Webber. When he leaves, I'm probably either going to support Kubica, Schumi (if he's around), Massa or Kimi (if he ever returns to F1). Which one I end up supporting will depend on the events between now and then, whenever that may be.

JoostLamers
F1 Champion
F1 Champion

Post by JoostLamers » 28 Jul 2010, 08:57

I was a supporter of Montoya, a quite big one, when he left I just was watching F1 and waiting for someone to impress me. And then there was Hamilton in 2007. I saw him winning in GP2, Nürburgring 2006. So then I got to know him a little better, but of course I already knew him because of watching GP2 quite regularly back then.

But because of Montoya, I'll always keep an eye on Williams
<<<The flag Lew1s waved at

R.?
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by R.? » 29 Jul 2010, 13:22

When I started watching F1 I loved to see Villeneuve driving. Always on the ragged edge. On the limit and over it. But in 2003 Raikkonen got my attention. He did such a good job in a old car. I was so happy when he clinched the title in 2007. It's a shame that he is gone. But there are new faces. Kubica, Kobayashi and of course Hamilton. And when he drove for Ferrari, I was never a real fan of Michael Schumacher, but today, I really think he is still a good driver. He still hasn't lost anything of his driving skills.

Ferrariman60
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Ferrariman60 » 29 Jul 2010, 14:15

Favorite drivers are a very sticky issue for me. In terms of raw talent, it's got to be Michael Schumacher, and I did support him tremendously during 2006. In 2005 though, Kimi really caught my attention as a world class talent, and I also found his quirky attitude entertaining, so when he moved to Ferrari, I was very happy as well. Once Hamilton came on the scene though, I knew immediately that this guy was something special, and the podium he achieved in his first race confirmed that to me. Once Spygate happened however, and I saw the way that Alonso was treating Hamilton, I pretty much abandoned Ferrari and really got behind McLaren and Hamilton, and I was heartbroken that he missed out on the '07 title, even though I was still happy for Kimi. 2008 though, I was completely behind McLaren, and I really wanted Lewis to take it all, which he did. '09 and the rise and fall of Brawn was extremely entertaining, and I like Jenson and Rubens, so for the novelty value alone I supported Brawn just on the notion that this new team just might sweep the championships on their first attempt. I still pulled for Hamilton as well, and his wins in Hungary and Singapore confirmed his skills as a driver. This year, I think Hamilton is the best overall title contender. He's been the most consistent, and has pretty much stayed out of trouble. I was initially very psyched to see Michael Schumacher back this year, but given his results (or lack thereof) I can't help but think that the reasons he left initially have caught up with him, and as a HUGE fan of his, I really think that unless he starts bringing in the podiums soon, he should hang up the helmet again, for good. It would minimize any further damage to his reputation and thus leave all of us to romanticize about his triumphs of yesteryear. He's still incredibly skilled, but I think guys like Hamilton, Button, Vettel, and Webber are just fitter and faster simply because they are younger.

As for when Hamilton, Button, Schumacher etc leave, the only newcomer I've seen come in since 2008 that I think shows any progress is Jaime Alguersuari. I like the guy, and I think he could achieve something given that car to do it. He didn't do too badly in his first couple of races considering his inexperience, and I think given another year or two, he could break into a seat at Renault or Mercedes.
Last edited by Ferrariman60 on 29 Jul 2010, 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
Requiescat in pace, Jules Bianchi

Ferrariman60

alex1369
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by alex1369 » 29 Jul 2010, 14:15

yes, MSC is still very good but the car is c**p - its simple

im sure he didnt become 7x champ with a c**p car, no he had the best car

F1 is like this - without the a good car your nothing

TwistedArmco
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by TwistedArmco » 30 Jul 2010, 09:20

So people would say there's always someone out there who you like/somewhat want to win/support even if they're only a filler between guys who you intensely support? I wonder what that will mean for my support of Alonso.

I kinda started liking Trulli and Button in the Renault in 2002. I was 12, so I don't really know the rational behind this, but I think it was more about Renault than Trulli. However, I realised someway through 2003 (not being a hardcore fan, I missed his first victory in Hungary and didn't know about it for weeks afterwards) that I preferred Alonso and his character. I've always liked Spain, ever since going on holiday there for about 8 years in a row from 8-16. So that's how I got onto Alonso, and I realize now that even though I like a lot of the field, I would will them to have a car failure or an off in order for Alonso to win. I don't know whether that kind of support will translate to Alguesuari or Koboyashi or Rosberg or Kubica, the drivers who I think of as my other (but lesser) favourites. I think it will be interesting to see.

luque75
Kart Champion
Kart Champion

Post by luque75 » 01 Aug 2010, 12:02

mmmm... I´m a Ferrari fan, no matter who drives for the team, but i always have my favourites, since Reutemann in the 80´s, Villeneuve (senior), Prost (over Senna, but that´s because I´m Argentiinian, and we usually don´t like Brazilians), then I prefer Schumi, but he make things sooooo boring, until I saw Kimi, he´s the rason that I still wathcing F1, even when he´s gone... now I prefer Felipe over Alonso, even whe I know about the team orders, or Rubens (yeah, I like Brazilians, now) :)

KIMBO1
kart driver
kart driver

Post by KIMBO1 » 03 Aug 2010, 14:53

I like Vettell and would like to see him do well, but my real passion for F1 ended when Kimi left.