The Kimi Rally Monster Cool Lounge

Discussion about all other motor racing categories - GP2, GP3, Rallying, NASCAR, F2 & F3, MotoGP
ish678
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Re: Off-topic thread for rally fans

Post by ish678 » 26 Jul 2010, 15:51

Hi Acropolis :wave:

The job news is a little promising. I am waiting on something which might come up next week which is what I really want to do. It's very low paid and entry level but there is more chance of promotion and rising up through the company.

If nothing comes of that I can go and work for my sister who has her own solicitors office. There's not so much opportunity to progress in that job but there's more responsibility. Which I have to admit slightly scares me lol And I'm not sure working for family is the best idea :lol: But I have worked there before so I know how it works a bit more and I'm grateful to my sister for helping me out.

I hope something comes from the the first opportunity though :)

(Oh God, I've rambled for ages again, sorry :blush: )

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 26 Jul 2010, 16:03

Ferrari might get rid of Smedley
Published by Leo Turrini Mon, 26/07/2010 - 15:00

So, today was and still is a very busy day in Ferrari. As you know it isn't easy try and close the stable door after the horse already is on the run, however they are laughably trying. Here is some valuable information for you.

1) Tuft Kid, also known as Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, believes that the pitwall acted wisely. And he is furious over the way the story was dealt with at the level of communication even though he does not say it .

2) It's incredible in fact what happened during and immediately after the race. The way in which Smedley warns Massa ('Fernando is faster than you, confirm that you understand this message') seems to have been as if he was an enemy of the horse and wanted to slag the horse and that's why he expressed and acted in that manner.

3) It would be interesting to know why Stefano Domenicali didn't see it fit to use his own voice to Felipe. Maybe he was a victim of a sudden attack of hoarseness?

4) It is possible that Smedley leaves for some period of time before the Hungarian Grand Prix to learn how to say 'sorry' on live broadcast worldwide. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Ferrari garage had some more news on Sunday in Hungary

5) The leaders in Ferrari believe - again without saying so - that the management afterwards was disastrous. The declarations have assured the entire world press (except for Italy) that the Spaniard Alonso is driver #1. In Italy they know it. How did they treat Schumacher and Todt? Absolute c**p, shame, and media lynching. Will they treat Dom and Alonso in the same way? Well good, down with hypocrisy and so on. Same names, same faces, and so on. And Domenicali's post race conference was dreadful.

6) However, the FIA World Council will not decide a thing. How could they? The FIA president is the Penguin, alias Jean Todt, the man of Zeltweg. If he does then he will give a champion a free ride between other drivers? Like in that movie 'Back to the Future 4'?

7) It's clear that in terms of image Ferrari can't continue this way. In one thing Montezemolo was absolutely right: in Germany we saw a fantastic car, for the first time this season the Red Army was unbeatable but the slaughtering news are about the pitwall. It has also brought the idea that Banco Santander Alonso has bought the team. You can tell your friend Briatore at Renault that 'It's ridiculous', now we don't know if Ferrari is still Ferrari and not a branch of a bank.

8) Massa came out well from this story. He was allowed to play bad if he follows the script to the end. But for someone to accuse him of not understanding it first and not giving the position to Fernando spontaneously, come on..... it's an insult to people's intelligence and loyalty.

9) Briatore didn't go to Ferrari for nothing. Schumacher didn't leave Ferrari for nothing. Even the Penguin didn't leave Ferrari for nothing. God creates them and pairs them with motorsport.

10) Take care and reason with your head, boys and girls.
To be changed soon - rko281, where are you??? LOL

ish678
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by ish678 » 26 Jul 2010, 16:09

Thanks Wolfie :hug:

If Ferrari do get rid of Rob Smedley (which would be a travesty) then isn't that as good as admitting that it was team orders? Because they weren't happy with how RS delivered those orders? They 'explained' away why he said what he said so if they're innocent then that should be the end of it.
Last edited by ish678 on 26 Jul 2010, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Acropolis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Acropolis » 26 Jul 2010, 16:09

@ Ish
good to see that you are in better spirits...hope all will go your way. :thumbsup:
And if we did not want to read your news we wouldn't ask.... :hug:

Maria d
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Maria d » 26 Jul 2010, 16:11

yes ish good to hear the updates, hope you get the job you want.
when i know it...........K.Raikkonen

ish678
GP2 Driver
GP2 Driver

Post by ish678 » 26 Jul 2010, 16:11

Acropolis wrote:@ Ish
good to see that you are in better spirits...hope all will go your way. :thumbsup:
And if we did not want to read your news we wouldn't ask.... :hug:

Thanks Acropolis and Maria - I hope so too :) :wave:

Acropolis
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Acropolis » 26 Jul 2010, 16:12

Wolfie, thanks you give us all this reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 26 Jul 2010, 16:12

Press review from Iltalehti and MTV:
Mozart's opera "Così fan tutte" is Italian and means 'everybody does that'. That is also Italian media's attitude towards the team order Ferrari gave.

Ferrari got a huge fine on Sunday when Massa was ordered to let Alonso through. The Italian reporters didn't see anything wrong with this.

- Let's not fool ourselves. There have always been team orders and there will always be team orders even though some hypocrat rule would deny it, Gazzetta dello Sport commented.
Corriere dello Sport noticed that everyone in Ferrari didn't take the order to let Alonso pass very well.

- On the podium the team mates didn't greet each other. They took a very cold attitude towards each other.
To Luca Colajanni it was a clear deal.

- Just a team mate overtaking his team mate. Fernando was faster and succeeded in the overtake. Everything went by the book, Colajanni said too La Repubblica.

The F1-reporter from La Repubblica, Vincezo Borgomeo, commented the statement chilly.

- No comment, Borgomeo wrote.
La Stampa thought that Massa was the "moral winner". Alonso got the number 8. They also gave Alonso a lot of critisism.

- If Alonso would drive like he speaks he would be sent to Hispania. He talks too much in he team radio, he can't defend Ferrari's strategy in interviews, La Stampa scolded.
British press review:

The Sun

- By manipulating Germany GP:s results Ferrari might be kicked out of F1.

- Fernando Alonso's reputation sank into new bottom meters. Ferrari made F1 a laughing stock.

Daily Mirror

- Ferrari went back to their old tricks and defied the team order ban.

- When the world's media asked questions, Fernando Alonso scratched his neck as if he had a hanging rope around it. Beside him Felipe Massa leaned on his chair and tried to subcounsciously get as far away from his team mate as possible. Only Sebastian Vettel smiled because he now saw someone else being whipped. Alonso who made the Germany GP a fiasco sat in the middle as a winner but based upon his face and mumbling answers he could as well have been sitting in an electric chair.

The Independent

- These days Alonso is roaring in the radio more than BBC-commentator Chris Evans.

- The Spaniard thought that the victory was his. Unfortunately Ferrari agreed with him. Afterwards the stone-faced Alonso tried to take the attention away from him with the same self-confidence he ignored the scandalous victory in Singapore 2008 after which he got the nickname Teflonso. Massa sat beside him showing the same braveness he showed when he faced the defeat in Brazil GP 2008. Only thing different was that back then he was beaten by the opponent, not by his own team.
Il Tempo

- The regulation denying team orders is hypocrate and stupid but it's still valid. If there are good reasons to break this rule - and Ferrari had two of them yesterday, both excellent - it has to be done in a hypocrate way but not so stupidly like the engineers and especially Massa did in Hockenheim.

- Massa is experiencing Rubens Barrichello's pitiful destiny; he is slower, falls down to driver #2 and starts to have tantrums and complain about wrongdoings he thinks he is a victim of.

- In a similar situation McLaren and Red Bull order their drivers to change the setup of the engine in order to 'save fuel'. The other alternative is that these things had been agreed upon but Massa's race engineer and Massa himself didn't care about them; the first one even apologised to the driver and the other one lifted his foot off the pedal in a blatant way so that everybody would understand that he let his team mate past, just like Barrichello did to Michael Schumacher in Austria.

Corriere dello Sport

- If Ferrari would have said 'let Alonso through' to Massa, the team would have been disqualified. When Ferrari said "Fernando is faster than you" the team got fined and was called to a hearing.

- Everybody bends the rules: In the start Vettel pressed Alonso against the pitwall because rules give the driver ahead the right to choose their driving line. The move looked unnatural and unfair but nobody said anything about it and Vettel wasn't punished.

Il Giornale

- A rule that denies teamplay in a sport that has the idea of a team in it's DNA is crazy. Of course the drivers drive cars but ahead of everything goes the organisation which uses millions and millions to put Alonso, Massa and Co on the track. If teamplay is allowed in cycling where the cycles cost thousands of euros at the most then let's think about F1.

- Massa was aware that in this situation the Spaniard has to be driver #1. Even though he was clearly slower he didn't want to let his team mate through, instead he forced the team to make it clear to him. You could have ignored it at that point but instead he did it in a blatant way putting his team in shame.

La Stampa

- It would have been best for Ferrari if the driver would have understood himself how to act in a situation like this.

- In year 2007 he helped Kimi Räikkönen become a WDC; the next year the roles were reversed but he lost the WDC by one point. Now it was his turn again to act as a helper.

Spanish AS

- Alonso was the justified winner in Hockenheim because he overtook Vettel and was faster than his team mate during the whole weekend. After overtaking Alonso made a three second gap during only five laps.

AS blamed Ferrari and Massa for not handling the team order in a clean way. The magazine called Rob Smedley's action as an act of 'huliganism'. AS thought that the orders Smedley gave in the radio and Massa's clumsy slowing down was the reason that Ferrari's great double victory is now investigated by FIA.

- The Brasilian could have kept the order to himself, just like he did in Interlagos 2007. Instead Massa decided to almost stop so that everybody would see that he did it on purpose. All this could have been taken care of during the pitstop by delaying his pitstop by one second. After his first pitstop his speed got slower with hard tyres and when Alonso had almost passed him the Brazilian close the road and the cars almost hit. The man from Oviedo said in the radio: This is ridiculous. What would he had said to Stefano Domenicali if the drivers would have crashed?

Brazilian O Estado de São Paulo

- They thought that the result was a huge image-loss both for Ferrari and their drivers.

- Massa has already had to pay a hard price: many Brasilians lost their faith in him when he followed the order and let Alonso through. This brought back sad memories of Rubens Barrichello who did the same in 2002.
http://www.planetf1.com/news/3213/6279727/Fer...

apple
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by apple » 26 Jul 2010, 16:15

Wolfie wrote:
Ferrari might get rid of Smedley
Published by Leo Turrini Mon, 26/07/2010 - 15:00

So, today was and still is a very busy day in Ferrari. As you know it isn't easy try and close the stable door after the horse already is on the run, however they are laughably trying. Here is some valuable information for you.

1) Tuft Kid, also known as Luca Cordero di Montezemolo, believes that the pitwall acted wisely. And he is furious over the way the story was dealt with at the level of communication even though he does not say it .

2) It's incredible in fact what happened during and immediately after the race. The way in which Smedley warns Massa ('Fernando is faster than you, confirm that you understand this message') seems to have been as if he was an enemy of the horse and wanted to slag the horse and that's why he expressed and acted in that manner.

3) It would be interesting to know why Stefano Domenicali didn't see it fit to use his own voice to Felipe. Maybe he was a victim of a sudden attack of hoarseness?

4) It is possible that Smedley leaves for some period of time before the Hungarian Grand Prix to learn how to say 'sorry' on live broadcast worldwide. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Ferrari garage had some more news on Sunday in Hungary

5) The leaders in Ferrari believe - again without saying so - that the management afterwards was disastrous. The declarations have assured the entire world press (except for Italy) that the Spaniard Alonso is driver #1. In Italy they know it. How did they treat Schumacher and Todt? Absolute c**p, shame, and media lynching. Will they treat Dom and Alonso in the same way? Well good, down with hypocrisy and so on. Same names, same faces, and so on. And Domenicali's post race conference was dreadful.

6) However, the FIA World Council will not decide a thing. How could they? The FIA president is the Penguin, alias Jean Todt, the man of Zeltweg. If he does then he will give a champion a free ride between other drivers? Like in that movie 'Back to the Future 4'?

7) It's clear that in terms of image Ferrari can't continue this way. In one thing Montezemolo was absolutely right: in Germany we saw a fantastic car, for the first time this season the Red Army was unbeatable but the slaughtering news are about the pitwall. It has also brought the idea that Banco Santander Alonso has bought the team. You can tell your friend Briatore at Renault that 'It's ridiculous', now we don't know if Ferrari is still Ferrari and not a branch of a bank.

8) Massa came out well from this story. He was allowed to play bad if he follows the script to the end. But for someone to accuse him of not understanding it first and not giving the position to Fernando spontaneously, come on..... it's an insult to people's intelligence and loyalty.

9) Briatore didn't go to Ferrari for nothing. Schumacher didn't leave Ferrari for nothing. Even the Penguin didn't leave Ferrari for nothing. God creates them and pairs them with motorsport.

10) Take care and reason with your head, boys and girls.
Well,Nicole..do you remember what I said to you about Smedley? :p

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 26 Jul 2010, 16:22

This is really distasteful, every other week there's a rumour that they want to get rid of someone in Ferrari. Last week it was Dyer, this week it's Smedley. It's beginning to look like they have a pattern of targeting non-Italians.

Linda-Anne
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by Linda-Anne » 26 Jul 2010, 16:40

The sad thing is they are using Rob Smedly as a scapegoat. I feel they will probably get rid of him to keep up the lie of what happened on Sunday. That is so unfair as he was only doing what they told him to do. There is a man who was very loyal to his team and his driver who had been used and may even be dumped. I bet he has a family and a mortgage to keep up and for this I feel sad.

sleenster
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by sleenster » 26 Jul 2010, 17:12

Linda-Anne wrote:The sad thing is they are using Rob Smedly as a scapegoat. I feel they will probably get rid of him to keep up the lie of what happened on Sunday. That is so unfair as he was only doing what they told him to do. There is a man who was very loyal to his team and his driver who had been used and may even be dumped. I bet he has a family and a mortgage to keep up and for this I feel sad.
Don't worry, I'm sure some other team will jump at the chance to hire Smedley immediately. He is after all a good race engineer and I'm sure lots of teams want to know his secrets at Ferrari. :O

Wolfie
F1 Routinier
F1 Routinier

Post by Wolfie » 26 Jul 2010, 18:49

sleenster wrote:
Linda-Anne wrote:The sad thing is they are using Rob Smedly as a scapegoat. I feel they will probably get rid of him to keep up the lie of what happened on Sunday. That is so unfair as he was only doing what they told him to do. There is a man who was very loyal to his team and his driver who had been used and may even be dumped. I bet he has a family and a mortgage to keep up and for this I feel sad.
Don't worry, I'm sure some other team will jump at the chance to hire Smedley immediately. He is after all a good race engineer and I'm sure lots of teams want to know his secrets at Ferrari. :O
Sleenster is right, Linda (nice to see you :hug: )

Didn't Alonso want Smedley to be his race engineer?

But if they sack him for what happened on Sunday then Ferrari has chosen a path that can't lead anywhere good.

What worries is the other news they might come out with, at least that's what I understood from the article :fear:

Apple, it's finally confirmed - you are a white witch - as if we didn't know it already :lol:

SpaMaster
F1 Rookie
F1 Rookie

Post by SpaMaster » 27 Jul 2010, 02:35

Sacking Smedley would be such a shame. Not sure Smedley would want to stay if that is the case, anyway. Smedley has been race engineer of my favourite driver's opposite driver. But he is the only I have found to be the most impressive race engineer in the past 4 years. Undoubtedly the race engineer of the year for many years.
Curious case of Kimi Raikkonen..

Kinga
F1 Driver
F1 Driver

Post by Kinga » 27 Jul 2010, 02:40

SpaMaster wrote:Sacking Smedley would be such a shame. Not sure Smedley would want to stay if that is the case, anyway. Smedley has been race engineer of my favourite driver's opposite driver. But he is the only I have found to be the most impressive race engineer in the past 4 years. Undoubtedly the race engineer of the year for many years.
True!

Sometimes I felt that he's better than Dyer and Stella. :) I truely think that sometimes it was because of him if Massa could win a race or finished in a better position than Kimi.